• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar: If you're gay, you should avoid the 2022 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm an Arab-American that thinks Arabs who follow a deeply rooted, ignorant, widely accepted and practiced culture are fucking awful. I'm sorry if I sounded racist or self hating. I can't deny my heritage nor would I ever want change it, but I'm certainly not going to defend it either.
you're okay. You are criticizing a specific aspect of a culture. Not painting in broad strokes.

to avoid the idiotic oposition in this thread next time just sayI hate the homophobic parts of Arab culture.seems fine to mem people are just being dense.

HarryKS

The real problem with the 2022 world cup is the scheduling. It should not be held in winter. It would have too great an impact on the Champions League and big leagues in general.

Exactly what I was saying with an earlier post I made. The guy sounds reasonable to me.

yeah, his response sounds reasonable to me too. i'd still like to see the cup moved from there (and to the u.s. where i live haha), but it is what it is. i'm sure this will not end up being a huge issue. and, if i'm being totally honest, i think one needs to respect the culture of a place they are a visitor. if you find said culture unsettling then simply don't visit. it's a bit bold to show up in another country and expect them to change their ways for you, even if their ways are arguably outdated and/or unfair.

move the cup to a place that already has stadiums and infrastructure built already.

So retarded this whole bidding process and construction corruption to speed build new stadiums for one time use.

so many countries already have modern usable stadiums being used in pro-sports.

tbm24

The real problem with the 2022 world cup is the scheduling. It should not be held in winter. It would have too great an impact on the Champions League and big leagues in general.
You'd have a point if Platini wasn't endorsing Qatar like the shit that he is. It would take considerable push from the leagues for anything to happen. The idea of a world cup in between domestic seasons is absurd. The amount of injuries that may cripple teams during the season will be staggering.

spwolf

yeah, his response sounds reasonable to me too. i'd still like to see the cup moved from there (and to the u.s. where i live haha), but it is what it is. i'm sure this will not end up being a huge issue. and, if i'm being totally honest, i think one needs to respect the culture of a place they are a visitor. if you find said culture unsettling then simply don't visit. it's a bit bold to show up in another country and expect them to change their ways for you, even if their ways are arguably outdated and/or unfair.

i agree with you completely... but then you should not host largest event possible. Get it?

Of course, this is more of a problem with FIFA and their corrupt leadership then Qatar... they should have simply never been allowed to even have a bid in the first place.

Kinsei

Banned

No one should respect a lack of basic human rights. I guess we should "respect" the slavery too?

No one should respect a lack of basic human rights. I guess we should "respect" the slavery too?

i knew this was going to happen when i typed my post haha. look, if you ever end up in qatar, i would highly recommend that you respect their culture and way of life. that's all i'm saying. i am not justifying nor defending the unpopular aspects of the culture there. and, again, if you disagree with how they live there then stay out of the country.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
i knew this was going to happen when i typed my post haha. look, if you ever end up in qatar, i would highly recommend that you respect their culture and way of life. that's all i'm saying. i am not justifying nor defending the unpopular aspects of the culture there. and, again, if you disagree with how they live there then stay out of the country.

There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a huge problem with the slavery and the 1000+ deaths during construction up to this point. Qatar should lose the Cup based on that alone, every other issue is just trimming on the shit-sandwich.

Kinsei

Banned

I'll never set foot in Qatar, and consider myself lucky for it. The thing is some people aren't so lucky. Think of the people in Qatar that all of this shit affects, but can't leave.

rrvv

move the cup to a place that already has stadiums and infrastructure built already.

but how you going to built a stadium when there is no huge event to support it?

Do we actually got confirmation whether it will be on winter? all I got so far is that they still talk about it

j3ff3

Banned

said no american policy maker ever :D

there is no need to respect a culture that is that twisted, or assume that there is a broad domestic support.

if someone came here to the UK smoking a big blunt, would i say they are disrespecting my culture just because it is illegal? laws =/= popular opinion or culture.

King_Moc

Banned

They effectively murder foreign workers. But everyone should be OK with that because its their culture?

Damaniel

Banned

I can agree with this to an extent (no drinking except in places designated for foreigners / covering up in more modest clothing? That's fine), but I refuse to respect the aspects of a culture that are fundamentally grounded in bigotry, hate, and exploitation. I won't support an event (or a country) that treats gay people as second class citizens and foreign labor as disposable cogs in a deadly machine.

If the 2022 World Cup takes place in Qatar, I guarantee it will be the least successful event ever. Players will choose to boycott (some for the human rights issues, many for the winter timing), and fans will pack up and leave once they realize that drinking at the stadiums (or anywhere, really) and less modest clothing aren't going to be allowed. The whole thing is like hiring the local Baptist church to host a huge college kegger - a recipe for disaster.

There's nothing wrong with that, but there's a huge problem with the slavery and the 1000+ deaths during construction up to this point. Qatar should lose the Cup based on that alone, every other issue is just trimming on the shit-sandwich.

in my original post i said that i'd like to see the cup moved elsewhere.

said no american policy maker ever :D

there is no need to respect a culture that is that twisted, or assume that there is a broad domestic support.

if someone came here to the UK smoking a big blunt, would i say they are disrespecting my culture just because it is illegal? laws =/= popular opinion or culture.

i don't respect the culture either, but i would respect it while i was there if i CHOSE to go to the country.

They effectively murder foreign workers. But everyone should be OK with that because its their culture?

again, if you made the choice to visit the country then you should respect the culture while there. i don't agree with any of it and would never visit qatar for that reason.

I can agree with this to an extent (no drinking except in places designated for foreigners / covering up in more modest clothing? That's fine), but I refuse to respect the aspects of a culture that are fundamentally grounded in bigotry, hate, and exploitation. I won't support an event (or a country) that treats gay people as second class citizens and foreign labor as disposable cogs in a deadly machine.

If the 2022 World Cup takes place in Qatar, I guarantee it will be the least successful event ever. Players will choose to boycott (some for the human rights issues, many for the winter timing), and fans will pack up and leave once they realize that drinking at the stadiums (or anywhere, really) and less modest clothing aren't going to be allowed. The whole thing is like hiring the local Baptist church to host a huge college kegger - a recipe for disaster.

i'm not suggesting you should respect those aspects of the culture. all i said was that if you make a choice to visit another country you should then respect the culture while you are there. otherwise, stay home.

and with that i'm out here. not going to do this all day. i knew i shouldn't have made that first post haha.

OTIX

The Qatar world cup still has no sponsors listed, but these are the FIFA sponsors for the 2018 Russia world cup:

Adidas
Coca Cola
Gazprom
Hyundai/Kia motors
Visa
Budweiser
Mac Donalds

Want things to change? Get these corporations to complain to FIFA. Boycott them.
Yep, this is the way to go. An organised boycott against the sponsors would be far more impactful than simply not watching the games.

BeesEight

Indeed. I too see no issue with treating human beings on the same level as substance control. I mean, certainly the LGBT can just not be gay for a sporting event. Or, better yet, just not go at all! And we'll make sure that women are kept in respectful, modest attire as they should be. It's only just for the game, you know.

Those foreign workers will surely get their pay eventually too. And no doubt their passports are simply held from them to make sure they would be kept safe. It's really the least we can do to respect the vibrant culture and attitudes of the Qatar peoples.

Edit: There really is nothing reasonable about the sports minister's reply at all and that's why people are likely going to jump on you.

rrvv

Yep, this is the way to go. An organised boycott against the sponsors would be far more impactful than simply not watching the games.

I don't Remember last time boycotting against large company actually work

Indeed. I too see no issue with treating human beings on the same level as substance control. I mean, certainly the LGBT can just not be gay for a sporting event. Or, better yet, just not go at all! And we'll make sure that women are kept in respectful, modest attire as they should be. It's only just for the game, you know.

Those foreign workers will surely get their pay eventually too. And no doubt their passports are simply held from them to make sure they would be kept safe. It's really the least we can do to respect the vibrant culture and attitudes of the Qatar peoples.

Edit: There really is nothing reasonable about the sports minister's reply at all and that's why people are likely going to jump on you.

damnit. i couldn't help myself.

He said Qatar doesn't want to create "this impression, illusion that we don't care about our tradition and our ethical values ... We are studying all these issues. We can adapt, we can be creative to have people coming and enjoying the games without losing the essence of our culture and respecting the preference of the people coming here. I think there is a lot we can do."

that is a TOTALLY reasonable response.

I'm about ready to boycott this World Cup. And I say that as a massive, massive football fan.

I feel the same way myself. I take time off of work to watch the WC ever since I've joing the working world.

I'm a big footie fan to boot (Watch and play), but I can't support this mess.

BeesEight

damnit. i couldn't help myself.

that is a TOTALLY reasonable response.

It is not reasonable to position your culture needing preservation from tolerance. Two men or women holding hands is not going to bring the aesthetic, philosophical or historical traditions of the nation to its knees. Unless, of course, we're discussing specifically hateful or bigoted beliefs and practices. In which case, I don't see any reason we should respect their desire to maintain either of those.

Look, I get the general idea of being respectful when you visit another country. I've been to Italy and I don't have an issue with women having to cover bare shoulders when entering the Vatican. These are not equivalent scenarios. If a woman were to, say, run around in a tube-top, she'd be asked to leave. If a gay couple were to kiss on the street in Qatar, they would face 5 years imprisonment.

If the essence of your culture is denying basic human decency, I'm not going to find your desperate attempts to maintain it a noble aspiration. Like I insinuated in my prior post, asking LGBT individuals to "not be gay in Qatar" isn't appropriate. And what sort of creative solutions do you seriously think they'll come up with for that?

Charolais-bull.jpg

<--Not welcome? That's some bull.

Qatar better rethink their backward ways ASAP.

I didn't realize that hosting the World Cup meant that you could enforce your backward-ass culture on everyone else.

2022 seems like the perfect year to expect a gay football player from the highest professional level to finally have his coming out. What a glorious sight it would be if it would happen right in a stadium.

Pretty sure there are plenty openly gay football players out there. Wasnt pele gay?

rrvv

Some angry emails is all it took for Intel and others to drop advertising on Gawker websites.
That just controversial Internet ads iirc. No?

That nothing compare to averting am event that will be watch by 1 billion people

tbm24

I feel the same way myself. I take time off of work to watch the WC ever since I've joing the working world.

I'm a big footie fan to boot (Watch and play), but I can't support this mess.

It's a shame. The 2018 and the 2022 World Cups are the ones I can realistically attend now that I'm working and doing well. Turns out they are held in two countries under circumstances that are becoming harder and harder to ignore just for some footy. Looking like 2026 is the year I will attend(depending on those circumstances too)

RedShift

It's a shame. The 2018 and the 2022 World Cups are the ones I can realistically attend now that I'm working and doing well. Turns out they are held in two countries under circumstances that are becoming harder and harder to ignore just for some footy. Looking like 2026 is the year I will attend(depending on those circumstances too)

Bad news about 2026, Breaking news: Fifa say Hell will host 2026 World Cup

“Sepp Blatter has been a wonderful role model,” confirmed Lucifer. “But he still has so much to teach me before I can make the step up from running Hell to being the Dark Lord of an organisation as demonic and demented as Fifa. He is a constant inspiration.”

Kettch

Don't see the big deal with the alcohol part. There aren't many countries in the world that don't ban drugs of some kind. The rest is bullshit of course.

rrvv

I wondering what you guys means by boycotting WC. Not going there? Sure. Other person more than happy to take that seat. Not going to watch it? Well good luck with that. Doubt you can go completely media black out for it.

Pretty sure you guys will forgot about this issue when that cup actually started.

Kinsei

Banned
I wondering what you guys means by boycotting WC. Not going there? Sure. Other person more than happy to take that seat. Not going to watch it? Well good luck with that. Doubt you can go completely media black out for it.

Pretty sure you guys will forgot about this issue when that cup actually started.

It's not hard to go on a complete media balckout for a sporting event. I did it during the Sochi olympics.

RedShift

Holy shit, this actually got published by the Torygraph?

Hatred for FIFA transcends all class and political boundaries in the UK now. Especially in England now we wasted loads of money on a bid only for it to fail to the most ridiculously corrupt awful bid imaginable, and for them to then single us out for blame for corruption for some petty shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom