• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Qatar accused of paying hundreds of actors for World Cup fans

Ownage

The amount of money the Arabian Peninsula has will blow the other G7 world economies out of the water. Putin is up there in personal wealth, but the sheiks are much, much more wealthy. Easy trillions of USD.

SJRB

Gold Member
rspgegha3s0a1.jpg

Amazing.

Ballthyrm

Cyberpunkd

Best take I've seen on the subject.
Terrible take. Want to watch football? Stay home, turn on the TV. Much cheaper and you got the best seats.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Being on the games already. The bullshit surrounding this host is incredible.

They should never allow another country like this to host again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The hired hands to promote team cheering isnt even a bad concept. All they had to do is tell visitors they've got various cheering groups going around the city and stadiums and if any tourists or fans want to join in the group go ahead.

It's obvious this would leak out as a hired guns at some point.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
t9llbqegyx0a1.jpg

GREAT, hospitable, friendly place to organize a tournament!

Amazing.
Wait wait wait. By immodesty are they talking about clothing? They live in a fucking desert and it's supposed to be on the 80's the whole week. Are they expecting foreigners to cover up? Also what do they mean by "dating"? Are visiting couples not allowed to visit local restaurants or attractions?

And there is no way in hell they are expecting SOCCER fans to not swear right?

Last edited:

Tams

Wait wait wait. By immodesty are they talking about clothing? They live in a fucking desert and it's supposed to be on the 80's the whole week. Are they expecting foreigners to cover up? Also what do they mean by "dating"? Are visiting couples not allowed to visit local restaurants or attractions?

The reason is their religious prudishness, which is repressive and really just sad.

But, like quite a few religious rules, there is an inkling of practicality to them. The best covering in the searing, dry heat there is full body, flowing clothes (so ideally one piece and ideally light-coloured (fuck women, lol, but then they don't want them leaving the house...)). Going wearing 'Western' hot weather clothes there and being exposed for long periods of time is just asking for sunburn, if not worse.

Nobody_Important

The reason is their religious prudishness, which is repressive and really just sad.

But, like quite a few religious rules, there is an inkling of practicality to them. The best covering in the searing, dry heat there is full body, flowing clothes (so ideally one piece and ideally light-coloured (fuck women, lol, but then they don't want them leaving the house...)). Going wearing 'Western' hot weather clothes there and being exposed for long periods of time is just asking for sunburn, if not worse.
I get that but you know that's not what foreign visitors are going to be packing. It's gonna be shorts and t-shirts for both men and women for the most part. Especially those coming in from the US. There is no way they can realistically enforce that dress code to the letter.

And I still don't understand the "dating" restriction? What does that mean?

Batiman

Banned

When you visit hot countries you realize they’re there only ones covered up. Us tourists are the only idiots that let our skin burn while light clothing is keeping them cooler and protected.

Nobody_Important

It's a "nice" way of saying no hookups, no casual fucking and leave our locals the hell alone.
No hookups? People can't sleep together?

What? lol
When you visit hot countries you realize they’re there only ones covered up. Us tourists are the only idiots that let our skin burn while light clothing is keeping them cooler and protected.
I never said they were smart. I am just saying that's what they will be wearing.

No hookups? People can't sleep together?

What? lol

I never said they were smart. I am just saying that's what they will be wearing.

Considering things like public displays of affection or dating are not allowed I don't think you want to go shagging a local chick with her dad finding out while you're in town for the week. Good luck coming home any time soon.

Nobody_Important

Considering things like public displays of affection or dating are not allowed I don't think you want to go shagging a local chick with her dad finding out while you're in town for the week. Good luck coming home any time soon.
Abunch of horny Soccer bros on vacation for the world cup and they they their little PSA is going to mean a damn thing come 1:45 in the morning to those people?

This is going to be a disaster.

Last edited:

Tams

I think the “expats” are paid handsomely there.
They live in their own little bubbles. Life's pretty great in those bubbles, apart from the heat. You can really do whatever you want in any normal 'Western' society within them.

And yes, the pay is good. It kind of needs to be though, because eventually it does get old being in such a small and closed environment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom