• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an MBA. graduate, doctorate crowd here on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have Lawyer GAF over in OT Community. But I'm surprised not see any kind of sub community for graduate school other than law school. I'm working towards taking my GMAT to get into an MBA program and would like to hear other people's advice, tips, etc.

So I guess that's all I got. Any takers around here?

I finished an MA last spring, took a little time to do other things and am now preparing to start a PhD in French in the fall. I can't think of much to say about it other than be sure you really love your field, cause once you start it's hard to find room for much else in your life.

gabe90

I have an MBA. I started a topic about it when I first started talking classes. Everyone thought I was talking about the MacBook Air. Then the thread died.

I have an mba. I have wondered why the lawyers have an ot and we don't but I guess there are more of them. Or their careers are closer to homogeneous so they have more to talk about.

Furyous

MBA in the building. What do you need to know specifically?

Your network is more important than your degree. In other words, intern a lot. Try to get into an AACSB program. If you keep getting turned down try University of Phoenix.

Levyne

Banned
I'm currently in graduate school for engineering but my heart is simply not in it. I entered because I'm good at it and graduate school felt like the right thing but just not enjoying it much at all.

But yeah, have a bachelors and working on a Ph.D, masters as a fallback I guess.

IKizzLE

We have Lawyer GAF over in OT Community. But I'm surprised not see any kind of sub community for graduate school other than law school. I'm working towards taking my GMAT to get into an MBA program and would like to hear other people's advice, tips, etc.

So I guess that's all I got. Any takers around here?

I take the GMAT next month and looking to get into a top 10 MBA program. Tips and advice is welcome.

dhlt25

I'm also in grad school for EE. It'd be nice to have a community to help people with research and thesis writing.

I'll be done with my MBA in spring, still trying to find work though which is hard because even entry-level jobs require experience which I don't have much of. By the way, the GMAT was the stupidest test I ever took. Good luck on it though

Have an MA in Health & Risk Communication and currently in my first year of my PhD in Behavioral Medicine (though it might be my last as well, not sure it is where I should be).

I have a Masters in physics. I finished all the PHD course work, along with the PHD qualifying exam, but I had to leave graduate school before finishing my Doctorate.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I take the GMAT next month and looking to get into a top 10 MBA program. Tips and advice is welcome.

The GMAT sucks.... Best advice I can give you if you don't score high enough for a top 15 B-School is look at business programs in niche business markets that are in high demand and lead in their niche (mining, oil and energy, shipping, etc). They usually have lower grade requirements but recruiters will try to get their graduates to fill roles in well paying jobs just the same......shoot sometimes the jobs you get will pay more than most business related careers except for finance related jobs.

WoodWERD

I've wondered how much MBA programs differ from undergrad. Anyone mind giving a general comparison? I just left the mortgage banking industry after a decade to go teach English in China, but I figure an MBA might not be the worst idea if/when I decide to move back.

I have an mba. I have wondered why the lawyers have an ot and we don't but I guess there are more of them. Or their careers are closer to homogeneous so they have more to talk about.

The thread doesn't really have much activity. So, really, we don't have much to talk about.

Technically, I have a Masters in dispute resolution (mediation, negotiation, arbitration) in addition to my J.D., so can I join in here?

aznpxdd

Currently attending a part time MBA program while working by BI Norwegian Business School and Fundan University in Shanghai. Gonna finish by end of this year hopefully.

But yeah, it would be a great idea to start a thread and network within the MBA/Graduate/Doc crowd on GAF.

I've wondered how much MBA programs differ from undergrad. Anyone mind giving a general comparison? I just left the mortgage banking industry after a decade to go teach English in China, but I figure an MBA might not be the worst idea if/when I decide to move back.

In my opinion, its a completely different ball game. After attending MBA classes a little over a year, I can safely say I probably learned more in my first 2-3 MBA classes than my whole 4 year of university did (in terms of business, management, etc.). Of course the professor quality varies from school to school, but at least in my case, majority of my professor have tons of experience in the field (consultants/former board members of large companies, global/international experience) and are actually passionate to teach.

You will be reading tons of cases, writing a lot of papers/analysis, and of course...presentations, presentations and more presentations. Another big difference is the classroom's atmosphere - students who attend MBA classes are usually not shy to speak up and challenge their peers or the professor. There are usually tons of heated (but respectful) discussions during class and Q&A sections of the presentations - which honestly is great, because you get opinions and viewpoints from people with different backgrounds and industries. Plus...you'll be doing A LOT of networking.

In short, I've never thought of continuing my education after my Bachelors, but I can safely say attending MBA is one of the best decisions I've made.

I'm entering into an MFA this September, so if any of you MBA or doctorate dudes need some money, just come to me in a couple years when I'm rich suckers

working on an MPA starting this August, let me know in a few years if any of y'all need legislation specifically tailored to benefit you

Shadybiz

I got my mba w/ concentrations in Finance & Accounting a couple of years ago. I'm not really doing anything with it right now; just working as a business analyst at a utility. My problem is confidence...my particular company really does not value the mba at all, which reduces my confidence levels in going out and finding better gigs. ...Maybe that's a little genius on their part.

Meet people when you're going to school. I met a few good contacts, but not as much as I would have liked. I was just so busy with both school and working full time that I never really put myself out there.

I finished an MA last spring, took a little time to do other things and am now preparing to start a PhD in French in the fall. I can't think of much to say about it other than be sure you really love your field, cause once you start it's hard to find room for much else in your life.

What entails getting a PhD in a language? I've never known and I'm curious.

terrisus

Yeah, we've had a couple of mini PhD-GAF threads here in the past, although never an official one.

Anyway, I got my BS Mathematics in 2007 and my Master's in Education in 2009.

I had been working on my PhD in Education, started in 2010, and gotten to the point where I was taking my comprehensive exams, the step right before the dissertation, at the end of 2012.
Unfortunately, I didn't pass my comps, and then in 2013 I had a stroke, and everything was up in chaos, and I'm pretty much at the point where I'm just going to give up on it and move in a different direction.

I'm really disappointed at the thought of having put all that time and work into my PhD and not finishing it, but, I just don't feel like things are working in my life the way I've been going.
Ah well...

War Eagle

I'm in my last semester of my MBA. The GMAT was brutal. I advise to take as many practice tests as you can. What schools are you looking into, OP?

Working on my masters now. It's a Master of Education with a Higher Education Administration concentration.

Finding it very difficult to maintain both this and a full-time job.

I'm in my last semester of my MBA. The GMAT was brutal. I advise to take as many practice tests as you can. What schools are you looking into, OP?

I'm really debating part time/full time. Would like to get 700 on the GMAT. Ideal school would be UCLA. Studying is rough, I feel so incredibly dumb.

What entails getting a PhD in a language? I've never known and I'm curious.

At that level you focus mostly on cultural, artistic and literary aspects of the language. There are definitely people who do linguistics or pedagogy, but that side isn't for me. I'm hoping to work towards a specialization in 19th century lit, for example.

turtle553

Its been over ten years since I took the GMAT, but I remember the test felt more like a test on taking the test than actual knowledge. What I mean was that there were certain tricks to figure out answers, especially in math, that made it a lot easier.

Have my MBA and work as an engineer, can't say I do much with it directly but I'm sure it helps some. I did the program part time while working, so it was with a lot of other employed people who could talk about various experiences.

gwarm01

I think there are a few of us pharmacists on here, but mostly we are too depressed to talk about our profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom