• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Windows 10 these days?

Rktk

No complaints here, it's been stable, I hold off on the big updates (like creators) in case there are early issues. You have more control over updates if using Pro, OEM keys can be had for cheap. I do find it interesting when people complain their machine restarted out of the blue and it turns out they hadn't turned the thing off for two weeks.

Faddy

Banned
Windows 10 is fine. Just read the data sharing policies when you do the install, uncheck what you don't want to share. Exactly the same as doing a clean install of iOS or Android.

I'm still not quite happy with it. Sometimes I get random pixels not being properly displayed, almost seems like the memory of my GPU is defective, but I don't think that's the case (had the W10 beta installed for a couple of weeks with this issue, than Win 8.1 running for months with not a single of issue and than it again started right after installing W10). Sometimes, my monitor won't wake up after sleep mode... I'd definitely go back to W8 if it had DX12 support.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Best ms os yet. Very well thought out, fast and powershell is an amazing shell.

I give no fucks about telemetry and suspect that people thinking windows updates used to be 'better' were just people unwittingly participating in botnets because they liked turning off windows updates.

I had a couple scary times with the major patches to it, video driver can make it blue screen but I've been whinging about that with every MS os since vista I think

haha, integration in file explorer with one drive is amazing. why turn it off?

windows 10 is great op. I highly recommend.

Optional features shouldn't pop up to remind you of their existence over and over again after you've already decided you don't want to use them.

Vixdean

I agree with snapping. That's why I got some software to replicate the Windows snapping experience. I'm not sure how Explorer is better than Finder. My experience with both has been pretty identical. Same for multitasking. I'm not sure what about Windows 10 is delivering a better multitasking experience. Though I have replicated the window snapping on my Mac, which is important for multitasking.

I dunno, maybe because I started in Windows world but I've never found anything in Finder intuitive. Enter to rename a file just makes no sense. I find myself constantly having to resize the window/tabs to view files in separate folders. There's no view as easy to browse as the Explorer detail view. I did manage to find a combination of settings that made Finder palpable but it still feels like I'm fighting the way they want me to use it.

It was great for a while, but after the latest updates it hasn't been stable, which has been kind of frustrating. Also, random restarts—the other day, one of my classmates just had his online test interrupted because of them. Windows 7 was much better; it just felt more responsive and stable as a whole.

Ultratech

My thoughts on 10 after messing with for the last year:

-Lots of intrusive apps/stuff wanting data uploaded to Microsoft.
You can disable a lot of it, but you can't truly turn it off without breaking some stuff.

-10 REALLY wants to push Edge on you. Edge also sucks pretty hard for a browser.
Edge seems to be built directly into the OS, so if you try to forcefully remove it, it'll cause problems. Or it'll just pop right back up!
Also, I noticed for the 1703 update if you're still using IE11, they added a button so you can open up a webpage in Edge. lol
(Good thing is that you don't have to use it, nor should you.)

-Customization Options were made a lot worse than 7. Back in 7, it was pretty easy to make changes to the Default Profile and make changes across all created Accounts.
For some obtuse reason, they made this MUCH harder in 10. (This is mostly in regards to Network Accounts.)
There's some things you just can't apply to all Accounts period for no reason.

-Group Policies were also kinda borked for some reason. Like they removed/modified existing policies that were in 7 and worked fine, but decided not to put them in 10.
MS says you can recreate those policies, but I haven't really seen a way to do this yet.

-Forceful Updates: People have brought this up in other threads, but 10 really wants you to run updates.
So much so that if you refuse to apply updates a number of times, it'll forcefully restart your computer if you're in the middle of something.
You can avoid some of it if you modify some of the Update settings (like your "busy" hours), but it's gonna push those updates one way or another.
(This is kind of a good/bad thing; good in that updates do need to be applied, but bad in that it can potentially ruin something you're working on.)

-Dueling UIs; MS pulled this shit with 8 and it returns with 10.
There's your Settings UI from 7 which still remains, but then they added a second UI that is 10's, but the two styles are so different.
Sometimes they try to manage the same things, and other times, only one has what you're actually looking for.
Like they couldn't agree on which one to use, so they put both in. Pretty sloppy from my point of view.

Personally, I don't really care for 10. Optimized, it runs pretty well, but getting to that point is another story.
Frankly, it does a lot of pretty shitty stuff I don't really agree with. I can say it's better than the clusterfuck that 8 was. But I still prefer 7 for now.

pestul

It's fine.. but there's been way too many goddamn large cumulative updates lately. There's still way too much 'reboot required' nonsense that I thought they were planning on phasing out.

It is rock stable though. I have it on 3 very different machines including one that's used as a server. I don't believe I've ever had it crash/bsod on me.. unless it was me doing something stupid that warranted it.

Sunster

mine was fine until recently. disk usage jumped to 100% and stayed there. PC was completely unusable. I learned that this is a W10 glitch. I had to do a factory reset.

Vuze

It's been okay on my desktop, wouldn't recommend it at all on a laptop if you can afford a MacBook and don't need to use Windows-exclusive software all the time.
Their inconsistent UI drives me nuts as well as their shit store that they lock some of their games behind. Updates that wipe all my start menu and explorer customizations are always fun too. Apart from that, pretty stable on my desktop.

I used to use 7 but got a new system and couldn't install that there. it's working so far. haven't had any annoying issues aside from the hideous MS/Xbox store. All my info is out in the wild already and it was free, so I'm okay with it.

Overall been okay but within the last few months I've been having a ton of issues where the PC will freeze and even freeze during boot up. I've had instances of restarting after these and it not even booting up at all until after a few tries (up to half an hour at times). So this has been pretty irritating after no issues since its release.

At the moment its almost like I'm reliving Windows ME.

Still don't like it. Ugly mess of a UI. Less than good hidpi support though not all can be blamed on MS. Custom theming is nearly a wasteland besides the impressive works of a few people. Lite step is nearly kill. Truetransparency is kill. Font rendering is still meh.

Beyond that it is a pretty okay OS. Would prefer a more Linux like ecosystem for Windows but oh well.

They force advertising in start menu and file explorer, it downloads games in the background you don't want without telling you, it forces driver updates on you breaking things, and it sends a ton of your data to Microsoft. It's the worst and avoid it if at all possible. Windows 8.1 with classic shell is a much better os.

Nephtis

Never gives you any problems as long as you configure right from the get go. Lots of sites out there to help with this.

I'm still considering installing OS X on my pc tho

StoneFox

Cortana is slow and the search settings are inconsistent. For example, if you want to get to Windows Update through the search bar, "upd" will give you the option to check for updates, but if you type the full word of "update"--depending on the computer--Cortana will show you a completely different app instead (like Dell update).

Pop ups are annoying and built into the OS. It's too distracting.

The UI is ugly, minimalist garbage that should have died years ago.

The 1703 update removed the Command Prompt and the Control Panel from the hidden start menu and I had to Google to figure out how to get them back there. Why change this menu at all?

Disk usage is all over the place.

And built-in advertisements because of course.

You can disable a lot of it, but you can't truly turn it off without breaking some stuff.

-10 REALLY wants to push Edge on you. Edge also sucks pretty hard for a browser.
Edge seems to be built directly into the OS, so if you try to forcefully remove it, it'll cause problems. Or it'll just pop right back up!
Also, I noticed for the 1703 update if you're still using IE11, they added a button so you can open up a webpage in Edge. lol

-Customization Options were made a lot worse than 7. Back in 7, it was pretty easy to make changes to the Default Profile and make changes across all created Accounts.
For some obtuse reason, they made this MUCH harder in 10. (This is mostly in regards to Network Accounts.)

-Group Policies were also kinda borked for some reason. Like they removed/modified existing policies that were in 7 and worked fine, but decided not to put them in 10.
MS says you can recreate those policies, but I haven't really seen a way to do this yet.

-Forceful Updates: People have brought this up in other threads, but 10 really wants you to run updates.
So much so that if you refuse to apply updates a number of times, it'll forcefully restart your computer if you're in the middle of something.
You can avoid some of it if you modify some of the Update settings (like your "busy" hours), but it's gonna push those updates one way or another.
(This is kind of a good/bad thing; good in that updates do need to be applied, but bad in that it can potentially ruin something you're working on.)

There's your Settings UI from 7 which still remains, but then they added a second UI that is 10's, but the two styles are so different.
Sometimes they try to manage the same things, and other times, only one has what you're actually looking for.
Like they couldn't agree on which one to use, so they put both in. Pretty sloppy from my point of view.

Personally, I don't really care for 10. Optimized, it runs pretty well, but getting to that point is another story.
Frankly, it does a lot of pretty shitty stuff I don't really agree with. I can say it's better than the clusterfuck that 8 was. But I still prefer 7 for now.

^ yup.

10 is better for some things but is in no way better in every way then seven, and some of the places it messes up are really annoying. I prefer 7, or even 8 with classic shell over 10.

Ogodei

Nice, lightweight, super-stable, though it seems to do what it wants regarding updates (often i'll leave my computer idle for a while when i play video games or leave home to do something and come back to find that it rebooted for no reason, even though i tell it not to sleep when idle).

Radec

Apart from the weird bug where I cannot click the start button or taskbar (I just created a new user and it was all ok). All are smooth.

For some reason, I've got random freezes in Explorer for like 4 or 5 seconds every so often (maybe once every 3 hours). I've not been able to figure out why and it's been over a year and a half since I've been using the OS. That's my biggest gripe with the OS, but otherwise it's - well, it's okay. It's been very stable, the boot times are nice (even with an old SSD) and several things are nice to have over Windows 7 (like the much more detailed Task Manager) but I'd be fine if I still had to use Windows 7. Most of the time it feels like it is out of the way and just wants me to get to doing what I want, which is the important point.

ApharmdX

Banned

Good post. Every criticism is a valid one, well done.

Just want to add to one point, and add another point. So the dueling UIs shit is really annoying, and settings aren't universal across the two UIs. Settings don't quite work the same way across the two UIs. By default they've made Control Panel harder to get to and seem to be moving towards a single flat menu for everything. It's inappropriate for a desktop UI. And why? If MS had a booming phone/tablet ecosystem, maybe that would make sense... lol they do not.

Another point to note is that Windows 10 will default your apps without warning after an update. At home, ok, I can just change apps. At work it's different. Add the fact that GPOs are fucked up in 10, and it has become a nightmare to support. Also with regards to the enterprise, Windows Store doesn't obey user permissions. A regular user can install apps all day from Windows Store. You can't uninstall the Store, and only Ultimate/Enterprise edition support using GPO to block it. The fuck? Windows Update is only granular in those editions/compatible with WSUS in those editions. Upgrading our organization's entire bank of licenses to those versions would cost serious bank. Which is why Microsoft gated those incredibly-necessary features.

It's a terrible operating system in a lot of ways. If the mobile UI didn't exist, it would be much better, but there would still be privacy concerns. AFAIK, you can't fully block the OS from phoning home. So you'll never fully escape that. On the one hand, Google has no respect for privacy either. But on the other, Google provides tons of free services that Microsoft charges big money for...

Fantastic post and I agree with all of the above. As a recent first time Mac user, I’m liking it so far. Baffled by how much better it’s handling updates.

BadWolf

My big issue with Windows 10 is that it loses internet often and the only way for me to get it back is to restart the PC.

gamz

Just want to add to one point, and add another point. So the dueling UIs shit is really annoying, and settings aren't universal across the two UIs. Settings don't quite work the same way across the two UIs. By default they've made Control Panel harder to get to and seem to be moving towards a single flat menu for everything. It's inappropriate for a desktop UI. And why? If MS had a booming phone/tablet ecosystem, maybe that would make sense... lol they do not.

Another point to note is that Windows 10 will default your apps without warning after an update. At home, ok, I can just change apps. At work it's different. Add the fact that GPOs are fucked up in 10, and it has become a nightmare to support. Also with regards to the enterprise, Windows Store doesn't obey user permissions. A regular user can install apps all day from Windows Store. You can't uninstall the Store, and only Ultimate/Enterprise edition support using GPO to block it. The fuck? Windows Update is only granular in those editions/compatible with WSUS in those editions. Upgrading our organization's entire bank of licenses to those versions would cost serious bank. Which is why Microsoft gated those incredibly-necessary features.

It's a terrible operating system in a lot of ways. If the mobile UI didn't exist, it would be much better, but there would still be privacy concerns. AFAIK, you can't fully block the OS from phoning home. So you'll never fully escape that. On the one hand, Google has no respect for privacy either. But on the other, Google provides tons of free services that Microsoft charges big money for...

What does Google provide for free that MS doesn't?

Other than rocket league stuttering quite bit, great.

I've got a 3770k 1070 and 8gb of ram, rocket league should run perfect at 1440p144hz

Teh Lurv

My main gripe with Win10 is it broke DNS resolution with certain VPN setups. I've looked for solutions and they involve delving deep into my Ethernet adapter settings to turn off IPv6 support, manual setting of the priority metrics, etc. No thanks.

Rizific

As someone who uses windows only for gaming and day to day stuff like web surfing and ms office, it's been great since day 1. Free upgrade from win7 so why not.

sinxtanx

my experience has been one of instability and inconsistency with the latest big thing being regular bluescreens

like a drunk slotmachine that I depend on for work

such an important part of society's infrastructure should really be held to a higher standard than it currently lives up to

Windows 10 has some pretty intrusive policies when it comes to updates and user-data. There's nothing idiotic about losing respect for MS for those policies. Why do you feel the need to be so judgmental?

Millions of people that are not computer savvy use Windows 10 and do not understand that these policies exist or how to disable them. The way they are enabled is done to exploit this fact. Some people don't like that Microsoft is exploiting this fact. It's pretty weird for you to find these people to be idiots.

Use the post history feature and move on. The poster you're responding to will leap to Microsoft/Xbox/Windows defense in a heartbeat at the slightest criticism regardless of whether its legitimate or not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly? I don't like it.

It feels really buggy, sloppy, and inconsistent compared to other releases of Windows and all of the advertising and tracking bullshit they try to sneak in on the user really rubs me the wrong way.

I still use it because it's the latest Windows OS that gets support. If I had my way, I would still be happily using Windows 7, though.

No it ain't, why change from a different ecosystem when you could just go back?

Windows 8 and 10 show a very clear direction in which Microsoft is moving. It's not unreasonable to think that he saw that direction, did not like it, and as a result decided to give Mac a go to see what the alternatives were like. If he's not a huge gamer or reliant on a ton of MS-only software, then changing ecosystems really isn't that jarring.

Pokemaniac

What I really hate is how updates keep messing with my settings. It keeps resetting my default apps. The most annoying one is "Fast Boot" or whatever they called it. I like actually being able to mount the Windows partition when Windows isn't running, something that Fast Boot prevents.

Also the OS really seems more fragile then it used to be. I've had to put in a comparable amount of work to keep in generally functional as I have to with Linux. That really shouldn't be happening.

In general it's fine. But I hate all the bloat ware and every major update has broken something. Creators update has my wifi's transfer speed stuck at 1.5mbps on 5ghz AC Wifi. Decided to use a wifi repeater as an adapter so that way it doesn't have it interact with Windows except via ethernet.

My stability has been iffy lately, and the forced, unwarned update restarts while the PC is sleeping still drive me up the wall, but otherwise I've been fairly happy with Windows 10. The OS still feels like it should be more polished than it is, but its fast and I generally like the interface and features. I don't miss 7 at all.

(I'm also not sure how much of my stability issue is to be blamed on Nvidia, whose driver team has been a real disaster with Windows 10, enough so that I've seriously been considering AMD for the first time in years. To be clear I'm only talking about a major crash every week or so. Still unacceptable, but I'm not crashing every day or anything.)

"Dueling" UIs is giving Microsoft way too much credit. Windows 10 is practically an all-out brawl of UIs from the last 20 years, depending on how deep you go and what app you're using. And now, with Windows as a Service, we get treated to Microsoft's perpetually unfinished OS.

It feels to me like it gets gradually worse with each update.

You sure it's not the fact that you're not receiving continually optimized "Drivers as a Service" to go along with your "Windows as a Service"?

The dirty secret of SaaS is that it benefits the software vendor way more than it does most consumers by simplifying operations, code branches, and support, while also allowing for more frequent releases of features to remain competitive.

Do you think most people are excitedly anticipating new features from the Creator's Update 2 outside of message boards like GAF?

No. Most people "hate" updates of any sort and just want to access Instagram.

I installed Win10 for the first time about a month ago, so I went to it in a fairly matured state, and I also immediately followed guides to tweak the OS to get rid of tracking and autoupdates and other annoyances etc.

For me it's been fine. But I didn't have to go through creators updates or anything like that.

Ooh you have a link to this guide? Ima update to 10 in a couple days myself

4Tran

Stable. Ugly. Unintuitive.
Hey, what's unintuitive about having two separate control panels? :p

Pretty much. I liked Windows 10 as an improvement over the mess that Windows 8 was, but it seems that it's gotten a lot worse since then. The biggest problem with it is that its main problems seem more philosophical than technological - it's the direction Microsoft wants to move the OS towards, and I don't like this direction one bit.

Top Bottom