• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Windows 10 these days?

Dougald

Corporate Windows 10 in Active Directory? Pretty good

Home version? I hope you like windows helpfully installing candy crush saga and minecraft without your permission

Qasiel

I think it's fine. Anything's better after the mess that was 8 for me.

Aside from a few UI issues, it runs perfectly fine on both my main PC and my laptop. Updates can be slightly annoying, but not enough for me to go off in a huff and buy a Mac.

Kthulhu

I like it. Best version of Windows yet IMO.

I do wish MS didn't pre load quite so many apps, but they're easy to uninstall. I also miss when I could totally disable Cortana without a registry edit.

Edit: also when it sometimes nags me when I use Chrome instead of Edge is pretty irritating. Though I've encountered that less often recently.

Creator's Update screwed up all three Windows devices in my house, including my Surface Pro 4 that you would've assumed that they'd make sure it worked perfectly. Prior to that I would've told you it was great, now I'd say stay away unless you're ready to deal with mandatory updates that will break stuff.

In terms of actual usage, it mostly works but has issues as others have pointed out. But I use a Mac at work and run into issues with that one too, so I don't think there is a perfect OS out there.

Paz

It's still garbage in many ways but seen as a 'free' upgrade by many and inoffensive enough that there's a reverse of the initial backlash where people will tell you it's great.

Don't switch (I wouldn't dream of calling it an upgrade) if you don't absolutely have to.

I'll be sticking with 7 until they stop security updates in a few years or until the various middleware I need to use for work become unavailable on older OS's.

chadskin

The last OS update has seemingly borked tablet mode for me, leading to crashes in Windows Store apps if enabled. I'll also echo the Wi-Fi and Nvidia driver issues others have mentioned before as well as some of the general criticism (forced updates, dueling UIs, privacy concerns, settings reset after update).

Perhaps I should give a fresh install a shot some time and see if that fixes things for me but my experience has been pretty mixed so far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've been using Win 10 since the original free upgrade to 8.1. I have not had many of the issues I read some users on GAF post. In my experience it's been a lot faster than either 7 or 8.1

Then again, I disabled as many Win 10 services things as I could, via modifications to registry or using third party software to disable/remove otherwise un-removeable Win 10 things like Cortana and Defender.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I go back and forth between Windows 10 and macOS pretty regularly, as I have both a MacBook Pro and Surface Book for work (both fully specced). There are some things I like better about Windows and some things I like better about the Mac. I haven't noticed any major functional differences between Windows 10 and Windows 7. I like it just fine.

Hanso

I hate that every update takes so damn long I swear just yesterday I nearly ripped my laptop apart... yes I have some issues man but let me tell you this thing updates not often but if it does it fucks you over perfectly. Don't know whats up with that.

I also installed linux mint yesterday after nearly one year of windows 10 usage, now have it on my second drive for windows related software.

but god damn these updated had me boiling. Also I don't like that I have to disable every piece of "spy" software before using my system. And I hate the configuration of wifi etc., maybe ok if you finger your touch device but the old windows 7 layout was easier to use.

N21

Windows 8 and 10 show a very clear direction in which Microsoft is moving. It's not unreasonable to think that he saw that direction, did not like it, and as a result decided to give Mac a go to see what the alternatives were like. If he's not a huge gamer or reliant on a ton of MS-only software, then changing ecosystems really isn't that jarring.

The person could've easily revert back to a previous OS. Anyway, if the person is happy now, that's a good outcome in my book.

I've just switched from MacOS which I've been using since 2011 to Windows 10 and I'm finding it a pretty good experience. Not perfect but not too bad at all. EDGE is buggy as heck though on my Surface Pro so using Chrome.

jelly

It's fine. I even use Edge which hanged once after an update but other than that, it's been okay just different to a long time Firefox user which I still use from time to time because Edge has some extensions but not enough yet.

As for the rest of Windows, yes, make sure settings are turned off which is a pain, that's the worst thing about 10 for me, Microsoft just make it feel like it's not your cosy space, they're looking over your shoulder and I hate that but going through the settings dulls it, just have to check they haven't turned them back on after major updates. When Windows updates, downloading patches it seems to kill browsing activity to a dead snail pace for some reason which is annoying and bizarre. Anything else I can remember, the UI is hit and miss but there is a new look coming so see how that goes.

Overall it's a nice fast OS that doesn't seem like you own it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well it's "Operating System as a Service"

So random shit happens with updates. I've had plugging in the power cable causing a black screen. Solution is to close lid then open, resume from standby. That fixed itself after a few updates.

Also resume from hibernate was broken. Giving a windows had trouble starting screen. Again fixed after some updates.

It's trained me not to trust my pc haha.

That's Windows 10. Twice a year a major OS upgrade with new features you don't need and it takes months before the most important bugs are fixed. And then the circus starts all over again. And with each update Windows is changing slowly but surely from a great desktop OS into a shitty mobile OS wanna be for a customer base that doesn't exist.

MUnited83

For you.
A bloated mess of a adware that somehow still seems like it's on a beta phase and constantly breaking. I don't recommend it to anyone.

Windows 10 is an example of an operating system which is focused entirely upon the needs and desires of the company (Microsoft) and not about the consumers who use it.

Of course with the movement of Windows to Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and becoming freeware for the first year, the changeover from Windows being a product to the consumer being a product was going to be jarring. And it is.

Windows 10 treats the consumer like shit, because Windows isn't the product anymore. The consumer is the product and the operating system exists to gather data about the consumer and push advertising on them, like Google Search or something.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Ooh you have a link to this guide? Ima update to 10 in a couple days myself

Sorry, no, I just googled for Windows 10 clean install and configuration guides. So stuff like disabling cortana, or turning off automatic restarts. Some stuff you need Pro to do as well.

Slime

Banned
Left my desktop at 8.1 but updated my laptop to 10.

At this point they seem the exact same. Granted, I have Classic Shell installed on both.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Windows 10 is an example of an operating system which is focused entirely upon the needs and desires of the company (Microsoft) and not about the consumers who use it.

Of course with the movement of Windows to Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) and becoming freeware for the first year, the changeover from Windows being a product to the consumer being a product was going to be jarring. And it is.

Windows 10 treats the consumer like shit, because Windows isn't the product anymore. The consumer is the product and the operating system exists to gather data about the consumer and push advertising on them, like Google Search or something.

Where's the advertising, exactly?

I see my Xbox 360 trying to do that but I don't see any ads on Windows 10.

Is it really grabbing more telemetry than previous Windows? unpack this for me.

pislit

Well I can't complain about privacy with a Windows 10 machine at all when I use all of Google Suite anyway. HAHHAHA

M3d10n

It's weird how I'm 36 but I'm still not yelling at clouds so fiercely like most of GAF. Seems most people do turn conservative as they get old.

After using 10 for a long time I found 7 actually terrible to use when I had to recently. Having to click scrolling panels before they can respond to the scrolling wheel alone drove me nuts. I also forgot how useless the task manager was and how limited multi-monitor support was. And borders, borders everywhere.

Windows 10 was the first version of Windows I ever saw manage to recover after hitting 100% RAM usage over a long period. Windows 7 would push all processes into the swap file and never again get them back into physical RAM, requring a reboot to become usable.

Also, some of the "smartphone shit" is actually goddamn useful. I like being able to receive e-mail, calendar and messenger notifications without having to keep the entire programs loaded in background or set to "start with windows", for example. I have a tablet PC that is actually usable for browsing and media consumption with a touchscreen compared to the hilarious nightmare that was Windows 7 touch support. The OS also mostly supports hiDPI now too, even if most 3rd party apps are lagging behind.

I also don't get the complaints at the update frequency. The time before my last update that required a reboot and the one that dropped last week was around one month and it seems the Fall Creators update comes with changes that allow more things to be updated without a reboot. But I actually do turn my PC off and on, so my update experience is limited to "sometimes Windows takes a bit longer to shutdown and turn on".

I also don't get the hatred towards telemetry. How do you expect developers to fix obscure bugs and improve the software you use? Mail-in survey forms? Every software is moving into sending telemetry home these days, it's the direction everything is going towards to. Releasing software in the wild with zero capability of knowing how it's performing on customers' machines, how often it crashes, what are the crashes about, which features are used the most and the least, in 2017 is madness. Even single-player console games are employing analytics nowadays.

s_mirage

Is it really grabbing more telemetry than previous Windows? unpack this for me.

Well, considering that Windows 10's telemetry service periodically thrashes my C drive for ~10 minutes while no other version did this at all, I'd say yes. It's certainly doing something, and that's with only basic telemetry enabled.

Also, a personal irritation of mine is the feedback app. It seems to be the main avenue for submitting feedback to Microsoft, but you have to reduce your privacy level if you want to do that. I find that unpalatable in the extreme.

It's a faster windows 7 with intrusive ass shit. It also loves to take away some of your control. It's the only window I've used that borked my programs and stability with updates to the point where I'm afraid of an update.

Screw you Nadella for firing your Q and A teams.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Also, some of the "smartphone shit" is actually goddamn useful. I like being able to receive e-mail, calendar and messenger notifications without having to keep the entire programs loaded in background or set to "start with windows", for example. I have a tablet PC that is actually usable for browsing and media consumption with a touchscreen compared to the hilarious nightmare that was Windows 7 touch support. The OS also mostly supports hiDPI now too, even if most 3rd party apps are lagging behind.

For all the gnashing of teeth over it, the thought of a modern OS that didn't have things like notifications, apps, etc, is unthinkable to me. You can opt out of all of that (but I'm not going to).

Also as you say, if you have a tablet PC, a lot of their design decisions stop feeling like foreign impositions on a desktop environment, and start feeling necessary in a world where Windows is going to run on more than your keyboard+mouse tower PC. At least with Win 10 they embraced separate desktop/tablet modes. When you have a transforming device like a Surface Book, switching between the two is great.

Well, considering that Windows 10's telemetry service periodically thrashes my C drive for ~10 minutes while no other version did this at all, I'd say yes. It's certainly doing something, and that's with only basic telemetry enabled.

Also, a personal irritation of mine is the feedback app. It seems to be the main avenue for submitting feedback to Microsoft, but you have to reduce your privacy level if you want to do that. I find that unpalatable in the extreme.

I see your point yeah. If you don't know what the telemetry is actually doing and want perfect control over your own machine, it can be very unnerving.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The person could've easily revert back to a previous OS. Anyway, if the person is happy now, that's a good outcome in my book.

They easily could if they didn't care about ongoing support, which they might.

M3d10n

I haven't had a problem since I got it.

Although I swear at this point this crap I hear about is for the Home edition.

I actually have the Home version on my tablet, whereas before I only ever used the Pro on my desktop and at work. Outside of it coming with shortcuts to install Minecraft and Candy Crush pre-pinned on the start menu, I notice no difference.

People make it sound like Windows 10 Home is like using one of those free iOS apps that have an ad banner permanently on the UI. It's not. What it does that classifies as advertising is:

1) It nags about using Edge a few times when you are using other browsers, specially Chrome. It is off-putting, yes, but Google also escalated into nagging about installing Chrome in every single one of their web services if you're not using Chrome.

2) Sometimes there is a "recommended app" in the app list on the start menu. You can get rid of it by right clicking.

3) The default lock screen is a version of the Bing home screen, showing a nice picture that rotates every few days (?). The picture contains a like about the place/animal/whatever it's about. You can change your lock screen to whatever image or slideshow you want in the settings.

The telemetry stuff involves scanning your drive for installed apps from time to time, kinda like Steam does. AFAIK Microsoft uses this information to know where to focus their compatibility efforts. If you don't have an SSD, it can be annoying if it kicks in at the wrong time. This is something Microsoft still hasn't nailed properly.

3) The default lock screen is a version of the Bing home screen, showing a nice picture that rotates every few days (?). The picture contains a like about the place/animal/whatever it's about. You can change your lock screen to whatever image or slideshow you want in the settings.

How do I turn this off completely?

I've had Windows 10 since it released and think it's pretty solid, much better than 8. There are really only two issues I have. The first is that often after an update my wi-fi internet connection won't automatically open when I wake the computer which is annoying. The second is they seem to have problems crop up fairly often with Mahjong where either the game won't load and/or the ads can't be closed once they end.

M3d10n

How do I turn this off completely?

Settings > Customization -> Lock Screen?

I can't fathom how it could be easier to find than that. You could also type "lock screen" on the search, unless you're one of those people who forcefully disable search in the registry and whatnot.

Settings > Customization -> Lock Screen?

It's right there, geez. You could also type "lock screen" on the search, unless you're one of those people who forcefully disable search in the registry and whatnot.

RKpLdka.png

This is all I see. No option to turn it off?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As a Windows 7 user, which version of Windows 10 do you guys suggest upgrading to and why? Enterprise? Pro? Home? ???

M3d10n

Ah, you want to completely disable the lock screen? I'd have to look into that.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal is, however. You just press any random key before typing your password.

Top Bottom