• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

Liamario

Banned
So, what's the future for this series. Sales don't look great and the game is decidedly questionable.
Will they revert back to dismemberment and hardcore, skilled gameplay or are they going to go further down the casual route and have a ninja gaiden kart game?

So, what's the future for this series. Sales don't look great and the game is decidedly questionable.
Will they revert back to dismemberment and hardcore, skilled gameplay or are they going to go further down the casual route and have a ninja gaiden kart game?

I haven't seen any sales figures for the game. Link me?

ultim8p00

Banned
It'll still probably sell better than Ninja Gaiden 2 and take the franchise mainstream, which is what Tecmo wants. It's a win-win for them. Sales-wise, I can see this being a success. Especially since it's gonna be a launch title for the WiiU.

No it won't. Keep in mind that Ninja Gaiden II sold 1 million + copies with the help of marketing from Microsoft. And so far on 2 consoles, Ninja Gaiden 3 barely sold what Ninja Gaiden II achieved on a single console AND while being rater Z or something like that in Japan.

So I'm watching zero punctuation and he makes a crack about the ending being a fight with a giant naked woman. And I'm thinking he's exaggerating but I pull the ending up on Youtube and oh my god the horror.

Why can I see his face?

"You're not a murderer. You're not exactly a hero either. Guess that's what it means to be a Ninja."

No asshole, that's not what it means to be a ninja.

For reference here's what it means to be a ninja:

A ninja (or shinobi) was a covert agent or mercenary in feudal Japan who specialized in unorthodox warfare. The functions of the ninja included espionage, sabotage, infiltration, and assassination, and open combat in certain situations.

I guess it doesn't mean fighting giant bone dragons either, but come on man, if bone dragons existed ninja would totally fight them, and they'd fight dirty.

But saving little girls without the promise of sex with their hot mom? I think not.

I want itagaki back, obviously these assholes don't know what they are doing.

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The free scythe for campaign is there. There was a glitch earlier that's been fixed. If you load the game now, the scythe should pop up for campaign.

Just tried it and it works.

FYI the scythe and second new clan battle map were already in the big download package from last week, lol. They were freakin' time released, not even requiring a download key.

MCD

WTF

I have the Scythe with only downloading the free Ninja pack lite.

It was time locked? What the hell?

MCD

I AM NOT TOUCHING THIS SHIT ON MASTER NINJA

I do Izuna Drop and fucktard Ryu does another combo and these red beret fuckers grab me for one hit kill.

NO SIR NO, NOT TOUCHING THIS UNPLAYABLE 10FPS TURD AGAIN.

SHAZOOM

Up to day 3. Stopped at the T-rex.

Days1-2 were generally pretty decent performance wise, but man did the controls get sluggish at Abismo Island.

SoB is strange. I can generally land it after a slide tackle, and for awhile it seemed to me lol you needed to hold X/Y during a combo string. Sometimes it will give me 4-5 SoB strings using X, but other times it will just do a OT.

I did start a SoB with charging Y on Bloodied enemy (RED DAGGER GUY) and notice the move list has arrows on specific points of a combo that may or may not be points to start a SoB.

Regent of the Mask was cake. Just dodge twice when he makes his hand all glowy and he'll whiff his throws. Usually goes for 2 in a row.

Right now the game is not anywhere near a 3/10. It's performance is probably closer to Force unleashed as a action game. So probably a 6/10.

Kai Dracon

Up to day 3. Stopped at the T-rex.

Days1-2 were generally pretty decent performance wise, but man did the controls get sluggish at Abismo Island.

SoB is strange. I can generally land it after a slide tackle, and for awhile it seemed to me lol you needed to hold X/Y during a combo string. Sometimes it will give me 4-5 SoB strings using X, but other times it will just do a OT.

I did start a SoB with charging Y on Bloodied enemy (RED DAGGER GUY) and notice the move list has arrows on specific points of a combo that may or may not be points to start a SoB.

Regent of the Mask was cake. Just dodge twice when he makes his hand all glowy and he'll whiff his throws. Usually goes for 2 in a row.

Right now the game is not anywhere near a 3/10. It's performance is probably closer to Force unleashed as a action game. So probably a 6/10.

Yeah, if we use the full 10 point scale intead of "durr a game has to be 8.5 before it's good":

Ninja Gaiden Black would be: 9 (sorry, the camera must die)

Ninja Gaiden 2 would be 8 (25 on the HAHAHA I'M A GINSU OF DEATH scale)

Ninja Gaiden 3 would be: 6 (honestly a notch above a truly average action game)

SHAZOOM

Yeah, if we use the full 10 point scale intead of "durr a game has to be 8.5 before it's good":

Ninja Gaiden Black would be: 9 (sorry, the camera must die)

Ninja Gaiden 2 would be 8 (25 on the HAHAHA I'M A GINSU OF DEATH scale)

Ninja Gaiden 3 would be: 6 (honestly a notch above a truly average action game)
Honestly, the campaigns for each game have flaws that keep them from being perfect. Water stages, questionable platforming, camera issues. It's just that when the combat is emphasised, NG1/2 really shine. NG 3 has potential, but has performance issues (I'm guessing rocket launchers are slowing things down) and a new system that isn't explained all that well.

SoB when it works is pretty powerful. It's just figuring out how to do it consistently is the problem.

Robot Pants

SoB when it works is pretty powerful. It's just figuring out how to do it consistently is the problem.

It's been covered a few times in this thread.
Bloody an enemy, and slide + Y. Then to chain it, use X. To end it, use Y.
The generic white ninjas are easy, XXY works well, or XX > XX.
The game is trash.

SHAZOOM

Huh, day 4 was.... actually really good. And the combat is clicking for me. Instead of working for SoB, its actually easier to just use the usual old School NG1/2 free forming and just run with a SoB when it does happen. Strangely enough, the percentage of SoB actually went up when I just played the game like NG1/NG2, just without relying on UT spam.

Also, that Chimera boss was fun, if only because I countered all of her attacks and ended up with the jumping Y OT into SoB.

This is .... not exactly what I was expecting after the shitty T-rex boss/Crash Bandicoot bit. Hell even the Crash bit in day 4 seemed... good?

What the hell is going on?!

MCD

30 min just fighting some regular ninjas only to advance a bit and fight the same wave again.

ZZZ

And I thought the Scythe will make it easier.

MCD

OMG

Scythe can fly these fiends up in the air with the XYXXX (might even STEEL ON BONE them).

AHAHAHA SCYTHE IS MASTER TIER

NG3 saddens me, because it's a lot of good CONCEPTS, but really bad execution.

Sawing through bone mechanic. In concept, I have no problem with this. There's nothing inherently wrong with wanting the player to feel a sense of weight and resistance to their attacks. Instead of cutting through paper, make me feel like I'm cutting through a person. Sure. But you have to design the game so that these moments are VISCERAL HIGHLIGHTS, not annoying interruptions. Good idea, bad implementation.

Make the game more accessible to a larger audience? Sure, why not. As long as there's a higher difficulty for experienced players to sink their teeth into, there's no harm in that. Unfortunately, none of the higher difficulties seem to provide the kind of depth that NGB or NG2 do... they just ask you to keep slashing away for longer.

Renewed focus on humanoid enemies? LOVE IT. One of the things that always annoyed me about the new NG games is that half-way through you stop fighting enemies that are really fun and satisfying to kill, and start meeting demonoid attack sponges. Again, great idea, but if you're going to give us all humanoid enemies, you need to create more than like 5 enemy types in the whole game aside from bosses.

Give me a reason to care about Ryu or the bad guy. Please do. The storyline in every NG game has been incomprehensible crap, and the notion of exploring the inner workings of a guy that slaughters people as part of his job description is interesting. Unfortunately, Tecmo still didn't bother hiring anybody who actually knows how to WRITE. So it's still gibberish and I still don't care.

Honestly, the game really isn't terrible. It's alright. I've played worse action games in my life. Just not as good as NGB or NG2.

SHAZOOM

Up to the halfway point on the Battleship Stage. Evil Ryu was damn easy. I think its official that the controls start to lag whenever there's explosive spam. Also, the Black Spider Ninjas are still pretty badass, dodging out of OTs and going for death rattle suicide bombings, though I really have no idea why Momiji/Ryu were going into the forest to begin with. Whatever, Obaba was the easiest Colossus battle... ever.

The Scythe Fiends were either:

A) Really easy when I had a UT or SoB Combo.

or

B) Took a big chunk of my health.

360 Y is my friend in the game. Breaks almost EVERYTHINGS guard and opens up for a slide usually into Y SoB/OT.

*edit*

And done with the game. Yup, 6/10. Really easy on Normal (RotM went down in like 30 seconds). The Trials seem fun, if a bit grindy. Am I the only person who can't get RB to work in Solo Trials? Can lock on with bow fine in SP, but for some reason it won't register RB being pressed unless I push it from the inside of the controller instead of from the edge.

Revan

So I downloaded the free content last night an gave it a shot on hard with the scythe and the talons.....and the game is still shit. Complete and total utter shit.

To be traded in soon for something for my vita.

I haven't been this disappointed in a game in I don't know how long.....oh well. Back to Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (which is actually pretty good) for the gaiden fix.

ironcreed

Banned
Just ordered this for $43.00 new off Amazon Marketplace. Based on all the gameplay I have been watching, I actually think it looks pretty fun for what it is. But that is because I have went ahead and accepted that it is not going to be the NG that we all know and love. While that is sad, the game just does not look 3/10 bad to me at all.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Just ordered this for $43.00 new off Amazon Marketplace. Based on all the gameplay I have been watching, I actually think it looks pretty fun for what it is. But that is because I have went ahead and accepted that it is not going to be the NG that we all know and love. While that is sad, the game just does not look 3/10 bad to me at all.

i once thought as you did

ironcreed

Banned
man 43 bucks... I think you will resent this purchase.

LOL, guess I will find out. The only thing I have seen that honestly bothers me is all of the QTE usage and only one Ninpo attack. But based on the gameplay I have seen, you can unlock more combos and there is also the weapon pack. For what it is, I think it still looks fast and fun. Just nowhere near as deep and challenging. Does not mean that I will not have a good time with it, though.

ironcreed

Banned
haha I will be checking this thread daily. I'm so curious now haha

If I end up having fun with it for what it is, then what of it, lol? It would not be the first time that I enjoyed a game that got panned. Hell, you probably have been there yourself. As has everyone on this forum. I have accepted that it is not good old Ninja Gaiden, but it still looks like some fun could be had with it.

I played around with the Scythe this weekend, got it is so good. If this game had shipped with it I think people might have looked at it more favorably. I hope they add the Flais and the Tonfas in the next pack.

ironcreed

Banned
I played around with the Scythe this weekend, got it is so good. If this game had shipped with it I think people might have looked at it more favorably. I hope they add the Flails and the Tonfas in the next pack.

These first weapons are free, correct? Anyway, when I see gameplay filled with Izuna Drops and Flying Swallows at 60 FPS, I just don't think some QTEs popping up here and there will bother me all that much. I mean, I watch shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2j8x0m9N4

and gameplay like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51nMySSdfII

After which, I kind of am left scratching my head. How does this not look fun? Still looks fast and fluid with a lot of the old move-sets, and like it can be pain in the ass hard at times as well. Guess I will just have to wait and see if I end up in the minority and actually dig it. It certainly looks like a fun game from what I'm seeing.

The weapons are free for sp, but if you want to use them in the co-op you have to pay. The combat is definitely fun, they just made some bad choices that make the overall experience worse then it could have been. It is a good action game, and a poor NG game.

ironcreed

Banned
The weapons are free for sp, but if you want to use them in the co-op you have to pay. The combat is definitely fun, they just made some bad choices that make the overall experience worse then it could have been. It is a good action game, and a poor NG game.

That is about the conclusion I have come to. While it may not be on the level of the previous games depth-wise, it still looks to retain some of the moves and fast as hell visceral combat. Which I am pretty sure will still translate into a fun game for me. It definitely does not look like a 3/10 game, but I will of course remain reserved until I have actually played it. Should be interesting.

So I'm trying to hunt some trophies out of the online games... but I'm getting a problem trying to fine and engage into a match, Am I the only one who's facing this?

Or.... no one is playing the online in this game :\ ?

So I'm trying to hunt some trophies out of the online games... but I'm getting a problem trying to fine and engage into a match, Am I the only one who's facing this?

Or.... no one is playing the online in this game :\ ?

It was hard getting afull room a week after release, I cant imagine there are many people left now. I had to wait awhile just to find a co-op partner this weekend. It sucks because I really like the mp and the co-op is fantastic.

Kai Dracon

These first weapons are free, correct? Anyway, when I see gameplay filled with Izuna Drops and Flying Swallows at 60 FPS, I just don't think some QTEs popping up here and there will bother me all that much. I mean, I watch shit like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2j8x0m9N4

and gameplay like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51nMySSdfII

After which, I kind of am left scratching my head. How does this not look fun? Still looks fast and fluid with a lot of the old move-sets, and like it can be pain in the ass hard at times as well. Guess I will just have to wait and see if I end up in the minority and actually dig it. It certainly looks like a fun game from what I'm seeing.

It CAN be fun.

The big problem is that the stripped down systems rob it of some of its involvement. For example, removal of the essence drop system makes combat feel more bland at times since another layer of strategy is gone with player controlled UTs and OTs. The enemies are also more bland with less variety and less interesting scenarios for them.

The ninja trials, ironically, are more fun than the main game because they tend to have more interesting scenarios (some even use older levels and enemies from past games! Thus a lot more variety) and they have an actual scoring system in place thus encouraging more thoughtful play.

If they added in a new play mode for the campaign that included essence and scoring back, and maybe a few new enemy types, the game would improve dramatically.

As it stands it's still a "good" brawler. Just nothing like a prior NG game, or other top games in the genre.

ironcreed

Banned
It CAN be fun.

The big problem is that the stripped down systems rob it of some of its involvement. For example, removal of the essence drop system makes combat feel more bland at times since another layer of strategy is gone with player controlled UTs and OTs. The enemies are also more bland with less variety and less interesting scenarios for them.

The ninja trials, ironically, are more fun than the main game because they tend to have more interesting scenarios (some even use older levels and enemies from past games! Thus a lot more variety) and they have an actual scoring system in place thus encouraging more thoughtful play.

If they added in a new play mode for the campaign that included essence and scoring back, and maybe a few new enemy types, the game would improve dramatically.

As it stands it's still a "good" brawler. Just nothing like a prior NG game, or other top games in the genre.

That explains it well enough. The lack of enemy variety kind of sucks, but it ultimately still looks fun to play. As for the Trials, that was actually one of the main reasons I decided to go ahead and buy it. I saw fights against old favorites like Alma and was convinced that I would get some fun out of this.

I even think Clan Battles looks like a fun addition for multiplayer because it just looks... different. I'll take customizable ninjas running around killing each other with Izuna Drops over another frag-fest shooter any day. Sad to hear that hardly anyone is even playing it. :-/

Kai Dracon

That explains it well enough. The lack of enemy variety kind of sucks, but it ultimately still looks fun to play. As for the Trials, that was actually one of the main reasons I decided to go ahead and buy it. I saw fights against old favorites like Alma and was convinced that I would get some fun out of this.

I even think Clan Battles looks like a fun addition for multiplayer because it just looks... different. I'll take customizable ninjas running around killing each other with Izuna Drops over another frag-fest shooter any day. Sad to hear that hardly anyone is even playing it. :-/

It is a shame what happened to this game, especially due to the multiplayer. Some of the reviewers even dismissed the clan battles as random "nonsense" because they apparently didn't care to figure out how to play it.

Oddly enough, the ninja trials even have an experience system; your build-a-ninja's level and unlocks are persistent between clan battle and trials. You can just play trials to level yourself up if you like; experience from them both unlocks higher trial difficulties, and increases your ninja level. (Your level unlocks abilities, costume parts, and a few other things.)

That does, at least, mean you can have fun leveling up the custom ninja even if live multiplayer is dead :p

ironcreed

Banned
It is a shame what happened to this game, especially due to the multiplayer. Some of the reviewers even dismissed the clan battles as random "nonsense" because they apparently didn't care to figure out how to play it.

Oddly enough, the ninja trials even have an experience system; your build-a-ninja's level and unlocks are persistent between clan battle and trials. You can just play trials to level yourself up if you like; experience from them both unlocks higher trial difficulties, and increases your ninja level. (Your level unlocks abilities, costume parts, and a few other things.)

That does, at least, mean you can have fun leveling up the custom ninja even if live multiplayer is dead :p

That all sounds awesome to me. Sucks they are selling all the weapons and stages as DLC, as at least the weapons should have just been in the damn game. That said, I got the game new at a reduced priced, so will probably buy them in order to make it feel more complete.

Top Bottom