• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ninja Gaiden 3 |OT| Ninja Dog Revengeance

I'm playing Sigma+ on my Vita (basically for the first time, I only played the first stage of the original on Xbox prior), and just got past that swinging ball bit. I stood near the entrance and took out the arrow guys with my own arrows; most of the time their shots were getting interrupted by the balls, didn't find it annoying at all!

SHAZOOM

I'm playing Sigma+ on my Vita (basically for the first time, I only played the first stage of the original on Xbox prior), and just got past that swinging ball bit. I stood near the entrance and took out the arrow guys with my own arrows; most of the time their shots were getting interrupted by the balls, didn't find it annoying at all!

Its not so much that these parts are hard, just that they're not particularly fun and feel like padding.

Liamario

Banned
I'm happy it fell flat on it's arse. Some of the design decisions are appalling (QTEs & cutting people through with a sword, but no dismemberment).
I have no loyalty to Itagaki, the first one is the only one worth playing and is easily one of my most favourite games ever. The second one for me was a decent follow up, until you hit spamming ninjas and massive slowdown.

I haven't played the third one and I don't want to. I'm experienced enough with videogames to know that I'm going to vomit if I touch it.

black_13

Banned
Well put me in the NG3 fan boat.

I finished it a few days ago. I sorta liked the design changes but the combat is the only main downfall in that it doesn't feel rewarding at all. Constant hack and slash just gets boring. And you seem to have to hit enemies probably 20+ times for them to die.

But in all other aspects I enjoyed it. The over-cheesy storyline, more cut scenes than probably both 1 and 2 combined. The QTE scenes were badass. Epic battles right out of God of War but still enjoyable. Graphics are a nice improvement. They got rid of that over-glow effect in NG2.

I couldn't even finish NG2 cause it felt so similar to NG1 and I had played that to death already with all the DLC and NG:black.

wait till you get to the radio tower

This game is truly a fucking piece of shit. IGN was being too nice when they gave this garbage a damn 3.

yup

I am about halfway through the game on hard. But I am just not motivated to finish the rest of the game. The game just infuriates me with these awful gameplay and design decisions.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I forced myself to finish it just to say it I did it. Almost at no point was any of it even verging on the point of entertaining.

Come on bro, didnt jamming the L and R triggers in a rhythm to Ryu sticking his kunai into the climbing wall make you COMPLETELY IMMERSED IN THIS CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE?

Zeliard

I'll try that when I jump back in.

I dig the Kingdom of Heaven Avatar btw.

Heh thx.

And yeah, I find Lunar works very well against the Spider Ninjas, as well as moves with invincibility frames like the Izuna Drop and Guillotine Throw (+ Wind Run). If you get caught with an exploding shuriken, those can help you bypass the explosion if you time it right, along with the dodge-roll. I like hopping on their heads as well to set stuff up.

Come on bro, didnt jamming the L and R triggers in a rhythm to Ryu sticking his kunai into the climbing wall make you COMPLETELY IMMERSED IN THIS CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE?

Man, the fourth time I fought that exact same red hooded boss with the exact same attack patterns and animations, I just KNEW how personal and intimate the relationship was between us.

ultim8p00

Banned
For those of you complaining about the spiked ball and blue patch sections...you do know that there is a secret way to get up to the platforms without dealing with bullshit right? All you need to do is run towards the platform and stand towards the pillars holding them. Run up the wall and press Y when you are at the top. The Y attack will align you with the bow zombies and you will land on the platform.

SHAZOOM

For those of you complaining about the spiked ball and blue patch sections...you do know that there is a secret way to get up to the platforms without dealing with bullshit right? All you need to do is run towards the platform and stand towards the pillars holding them. Run up the wall and press Y when you are at the top. The Y attack will align you with the bow zombies and you will land on the platform.

Honestly, I'm actually pretty bored playing through Black at the moment. Way too many platforming/giant monster bosses/water levels to get to the good stuff. And when I do get to good stuff like Alma/Doku, its kind of underwhelming. These guys are chumps compared to Genshin.

impact

Banned
Honestly, I'm actually pretty bored playing through Black at the moment. Way too many platforming/giant monster bosses/water levels to get to the good stuff. And when I do get to good stuff like Alma/Doku, its kind of underwhelming. These guys are chumps compared to Genshin.

Bored playing Black?

idontwanttoliveonthisplanetanymore.jpg

Robot Pants

Switch to NG2, man. Better game.
come at me

SHAZOOM

come at me

I probably will for my Gaiden fixes. The game is not bad, but its definitely a product of its time.

Meaning no checkpoints, spread out saves points, lengthy "platforming" sections with a lot of backtracking for keys. And a lot of boring giant monster bosses. I just want to get through the game to unlock the other difficulties/trials.

The game is probably TOO balanced, meaning it has a little bit of adventure/platforming/action, but NG's strength was always more towards the combat than the iffy platforming and obtuse fetch quests.

come at me

As I said earlier, there are many things I prefer about NG2. But I prefer the rhythm of the combat in NGB, if that makes sense. You have to constantly switch from offense to defense to survive the multi-foe battles, whereas in NG2, it always felt like the best way to defend yourself was to start attacking another target before his animations completed. So it was basically an all-offensive mindset, all the time.

That said, I think BOTH games fall into an annoying trap were they abandon humanoid enemy types for increasingly ridiculous and unsatisfying demon enemies. Some of them are fun to kill and look cool, alot of them are just attack sponges with some easily avoidable attacks.

I also didn't realize how much I would miss the expanded move-lists from NG2. I find myself defaulting to certain combos in NGB, simply because the combo I feel would be PERFECT for the situation doesn't exist in the game. But hey, if a sequel improves on it's predecessor in the key areas, that's hardly a bad thing.

Zeliard

I love NG2 for its delicious array of weapons, definitely. I fell in love with the Tonfas in particular. I enjoyed the hell out of those things.

I think NG2 has a better/more fun combat system. And maybe some cooler art direction.

and a worse everything else.

Luckily there's so much combat that you can mostly ignore all the other terrible stuff.

The thing about MG2 that I really appreciate is that being attacked no longer interrupts charging a UT.

I'm finding it's difficult to get the space and time necessary to use UT's in black against the Spider Ninjas, Human soliders, etc. The big attack sponges like zombies and other fiends are cake though, so that's where I'm earning most of my essence.

Compare that to NG2, where cutting through scores of Spider ninjas is deliciously satisfying. :D

You know, if I actually had a hint of patience, some of these difficult battles would be super easy.

Like the Tank battle, I have it well in control, jumping and dodging, using explosive arrows to scare the guy into the tank, switching to the core arrows to deal damage... whittling him down.

But now, I get greedy and try and whip 7, 8, 9 arrows into him before having to dodge the cannon. To the shock of nobody with a brain, it hits me, the tank charges me while I'm on the ground, drops three grenades and rams me to death.

One day I will learn to stick to a gameplan that works, no matter how many extra minutes it takes. :p

You gotta wonder what goes on in Team Ninja when they see all these negative reviews.

Based the changes made to the game and the underlying motivation for them (accessibility), I'd say they're more interested in seeing the sales for the game. If it's an uptick over NG2 (which it almost certainly will be, since it's one two platforms and there's a larger userbase now), then they'll live with it.

Riposte

Hayashi only cares about the sales, yeah. He's admitted as much. No integrity at all.

Actually Hayashi spoke against the sex and violence of Team Ninja of old. Yet that team is fucking making this game and Dead or Alive, not much aesthetically different from their previous games. I really have no respect for that guy, seems like a weasel of a dude.

SHAZOOM

The thing about MG2 that I really appreciate is that being attacked no longer interrupts charging a UT.

I'm finding it's difficult to get the space and time necessary to use UT's in black against the Spider Ninjas, Human soliders, etc. The big attack sponges like zombies and other fiends are cake though, so that's where I'm earning most of my essence.

Compare that to NG2, where cutting through scores of Spider ninjas is deliciously satisfying. :D
Purple Tairon Zombies man. Take FOREVER to take down. Lava Dragon. Lame boss.

I will say, it is absolutely AMAZING how well this game holds up.

Obviously the texture detail and the character models don't match Ninja Gaiden 2 or any of the more impressive xbox 360 action games out there, but usually you're moving so fast you barely notice.

This looks like a top-end downloadable title.

Purple Tairon Zombies man. Take FOREVER to take down. Lava Dragon. Lame boss.

Lava dragon blew my mind when I first got to it. Especially when you get chomped on and get that QTE (sans button prompt cause TN was cool) to stand up and push his jaw open.

Then God of War lifted it and made you do 50 times in a fight, of course.

otherwise, that boss was pretty easy...though it is lame that it artificially stopped and stuck its neck out to give you free hits for no reason.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Beat it last night, day 8.

Honestly, it does get better in the final 3 days IMO. Mainly in terms of level design, more varied fights, and bosses. The crazy siege of the entire fleet of ships is a hell of a thing, by any standards, and does make you feel like a one-man army.

The finale and the final boss sequence(s) are well done IMO, and a lot better than all the earlier bosses.

Sure, it's still nothing like a real NG game in terms of the details, but as an action fighting game, it goes out on a high note at least and has a satisfying conclusion for what it is.

Overall, I'd say that the back half of the game is a lot better than the front half. Of days 1-3, 1 and 3 are just mediocre, while day 2 in the desert is pretty horrible. Though both day 2 and day 8 waste a long section on a lifeless, dull "turret" that should have been straight out cut.

Game picks up with day 4, which does have nice variety. After that it's a lot of fun for all its flaws.

THing is, I can see the seeds of a great game here. Entirely besides the conscious decision to try and make it "accessible", I still feel the game was cut short due to a low budget.

You can see this by going into the ninja trials - some of the trials actually use stages imported from Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. In this engine, they look fine; no reduction in detail or texture quality. But they're superior in detail, construction, and textures to most of the environments in NG3's campaign levels. So superior that it's actually ridiculous.

Given that DoA5's stages look pretty good so far, I don't think it's plausible that like every single good staff member left Team Ninja's art department. It's more and more looking like NG3 really got shafted on multiple levels.

Ah yes, I remember this double electric worm boss battle. Where even if I OBVIOUSLY clear the worm's body with a jump, it's whip move still knocks me over.

Not your finest moment here, Itagaki.

EDIT: Done. Wow, that is terrible. Distilled NOT-FUN. They have an amazing, mobile, deep combat system... then lock you in place and punish you for extended combos. Lame.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The worms are ridiculously easy. If they start to do a sweep, just do a straight jumping Y. If they pull back they will burrow into the ground, just walk up and do a simple bnb combo. If they come straight at you roll to the side and bnb. Their attacks could not be more telegraphed and easy to deal with and they never attack at the same time. :p

I've never seen anyone complain about black so much, especially from someone who claims to have finished both 1 and 2 on multiple difficulties.

Ah yes, I remember this double electric worm boss battle. Where even if I OBVIOUSLY clear the worm's body with a jump, it's whip move still knocks me over.

EDIT: Done. Wow, that is terrible. Distilled NOT-FUN. They have an amazing, mobile, deep combat system... then lock you in place and punish you for extended combos. Lame.

you have to neutral jump them, if you're gonna jump them at all. (not sure about this game's version)

So NG 3, worth a bargain bin/bomba price?

sure. if not for the curiosity, then to have a popcorn action game

I really enjoyed all the boss fights in NG/NGB. The only one I didn't enjoy was the Emperor fight, both phases.

you have to neutral jump them, if you're gonna jump them at all. (not sure about this game's version)

Yeah, I figured that out mid-way through my 3rd try, and then finished the fight without getting hit again.

I did find it annoying watching the worm aim a blue electric blast, so I jump to the side, it nails me out of the air, right in time for the other worm to snake out and grab me for it's massive damage attack.

And yes, I was using the Dahbi.

I really enjoyed all the boss fights in NG/NGB. The only one I didn't enjoy was the Emperor fight, both phases.

I've enjoyed every fight that doesn't lock you on a specific plane or camera angle. The worms, the chopper attack... none of these are hard, they're just annoying and not-fun. Everything else, even supposedly frustrating fights like Alma or the Tanks, I've had minimal problems (and a lot of fun) with.

Yeah, I figured that out mid-way through my 3rd try, and then finished the fight without getting hit again.

I did find it annoying watching the worm aim a blue electric blast, so I jump to the side, it nails me out of the air, right in time for the other worm to snake out and grab me for it's massive damage attack.

And yes, I was using the Dahbi.

don't use that on them, dragon sword is best for them. not as many vulnerable frames.

It is super annoying when they hit you with an unblockable set up like that! Like the ring shot, which you neutral jump through, while the other one delays its swing and hits you on the way down.

That boss is so ass. I hate the awkward controls you just kinda figure out on the fly on the first phase, and the same phase is just boring projectile wars. So glad that wasn't the final boss.

That boss is so ass. I hate the awkward controls you just kinda figure out on the fly on the first phase, and the same phase is just boring projectile wars. So glad that wasn't the final boss.

My first time ever playing through Ninja Gaiden, I was in college and my buddies were hanging out watching.

I get to the second phase of the boss battle and I'm like 'Ok, shit, what's the pattern this time... how do I go about this', so I just say 'fuck it, it's the last boss, nothing worth saving up, lets try some explosive' I throw out like 5 incendiary grenades, take off a solid third of its health, unload the rest and he's down to a sliver. I was laughing my ass off about it.

lol, i save up everything and just ninpo/potion spam that part.

the skull thing after it is pretty awesome looking though. and ryu gets pissed and screams before it like "goddamnit, i've fucking killed everything, are you fucking kidding me?!!!" pretty funny considering he doesn't show any emotion all game.

Vrakanox

It wasn't as good as the first two but I still find myself playing it on occasion even though I have other games to play. It had the potential to be much better and I have a feeling Razors Edge will fix some problems. No matter what they do though it won't be as good as 2 just because it just isn't the same type of game.

Ænima

Based the changes made to the game and the underlying motivation for them (accessibility), I'd say they're more interested in seeing the sales for the game. If it's an uptick over NG2 (which it almost certainly will be, since it's one two platforms and there's a larger userbase now), then they'll live with it.
I believe that the game totally sucking will impact sales more than you think. Terrible word of mouth combined with getting a 3 on IGN, by far the biggest video game website, will hurt NG3 sales in America big time imo.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Weirdly enough I have more trouble with doku 1+2 on normal than on hard or MN. I think he's even more difficult than many of the fiend/humanoid bosses in NG2 because it's so hard to judge the best time to attack. On harder difficulties i just ninpo the adds and Dabi UT him a few times both forms, but on normal you have to get in his face and deal with his inconsistent vulnerability frames and life stealing grabs.

Alma 2 isn't really hard, it just seems terribly random. Sometimes I will continuously nail the flying swallow and kill her without getting grabbed, other times I will get deflected nonstop and get half of my health taken off instantly over and over.

The cutscene before the fight is kinda neat though. :p

The cutscene before the fight is kinda neat though. :p

yeah it is. I loved the CG in the game sooooo much when it came out. Its a shame the CG cutscenes have only gotten downgraded with every port.

Alma 2 gives me the most trouble by far. I should really watch a guide on how to hit her consistently.

Top Bottom