• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Tain

I played Battle Garegga today for the first time and read up on all its systems and stuff and damn, this game is complex, even by shmup standards. I'm a total scrub at these games despite how many I've played but I think I want to spend some time with this one.

Garegga rules. I wish there was a similar port of Bakraid, as that game is imo a really good gateway to Raizing games.

shaowebb

So whatever happened to Toaplan? Is there any chance of folks like Degica picking up some of their old stuff like Truxton and Out Zone to port to PC?

So whatever happened to Toaplan? Is there any chance of folks like Degica picking up some of their old stuff like Truxton and Out Zone to port to PC?

Toaplan split off into Raizing, Cave, Takumi, and Gazelle in the 90s I thought? No idea where the IP rights lie, but OutZone did get an official iOS release.

Yes Boss!

I finally sat down for the afternoon and played some Dangun. I really dig the older titles that get ported like this. Looking forward to Sorcer Striker!

Also, downloaded the Senko 2 demo. I have absolutely know idea how to play it. Here to hoping it is going to geta a digital release in English on PSN. Still ordered the disc for the 7th. Honestly, the game looks rather low rent for a g.rev game.

KpRQ82t.jpg

I finally sat down for the afternoon and plays some Dangun. I really dig the older titles that get ported like this. Looking forward to Sorcer Striker!

Also, downloaded the Senko 2 demo. I have absolutely know idea how to play it. Here is going it gets a digital release in English on PSN. Still ordered the disc for the 7th. Honestly, the game looks rather low rent for a g.rev game.

KpRQ82t.jpg

please move to NY/NJ, i need to check that game room out =)

Yes Boss!

please move to NY/NJ, i need to check that game room out =)

I was there (in Maryland/D.C.) a couple years back. Don't anticipate the east coast for a good long time now as I have another 2 1/2 years in Fairbanks Alaska and will most likely head to Hawaii or San Antonio after that.

I was there (in Maryland/D.C.) a couple years back. Don't anticipate the east coast for a good long time now as I have another 2 1/2 years in Fairbanks Alaska and will most likely head to Hawaii or San Antonio after that.

San Antonio? . I had wanted to meet up with ya last time you were stationed here. If you do come back we need to meet up for sure sir.

San Antonio? . I had wanted to meet up with ya last time you were stationed here. If you do come back we need to meet up for sure sir.
i'd be so jealous if you guys do.

Mantrox

I played Battle Garegga today for the first time and read up on all its systems and stuff and damn, this game is complex, even by shmup standards. I'm a total scrub at these games despite how many I've played but I think I want to spend some time with this one.

If you're playing the PS4 version, try the Perfect Arrange, i'ts much easier to get into, but still has advanced scoring mechanics with the Max Rank mode. It's super fun.

JP

Has anybody played Diadra Empty?

Although I don't speak the language I do like to scour the Japanese PSN from time to time and I've seen that it's available for ¥1296.

All I've been able to find is a few videos on YouTube and that it seems to have been an early access game on Steam at some point. Anybody have any thoughts on the game?

Diadra Empty
Diadra Empty Extra Chapter 5 (1.50PLUS)

finley83

Banned
Picked up Gradius V on PS3 this week and despite being a complete novice at these games (I can just about get to Ikaruga stage 3 in one credit) it's really fun and pretty accessible. In particular I absolutely love the graphical style, it looks amazing even today and you can tell they spend a lot of money on it!

Now to try to get beyond level 2...

I have a Japanese account and want to get Dangun Feveron but am having some trouble finding it. Is there a specific menu that makes it easier to find Arcade titles? I already have Battle Garegga but sadly Dangun doesn't show up under the 'Other/similar titles you may like' menu.

I have a Japanese account and want to get Dangun Feveron but am having some trouble finding it. Is there a specific menu that makes it easier to find Arcade titles? I already have Battle Garegga but sadly Dangun doesn't show up under the 'Other/similar titles you may like' menu.

Is the web store an option for you? If so, link here

My, extremely scientific, process is usually to look up the game on wikipedia or someplace I can easily copy+paste some kanji from the title. Put that in the Japanese PSN store search, and go from there. Assuming a search on the english title fails first, of course.

(Make sure to sign in to you japanese account on the store first then click this link)

Searched: 弾銃

Is the web store an option for you? If so, link here

My, extremely scientific, process is usually to look up the game on wikipedia or someplace I can easily copy+paste some kanji from the title. Put that in the Japanese PSN store search, and go from there. Assuming a search on the english title fails first, of course.

(Make sure to sign in to you japanese account on the store first then click this link)

Searched: 弾銃

Awesome, both links worked, thanks guys! And I'll keep the Wikipedia/kanji method in mind next time.

Franziska

Is Twinkle Star Sprites supposed to become increasingly unresponsive as additional enemies appear on screen? Started playing today, and while Stage 1 & 2 aren't bad, 3+ start to become unmanageable.

Edit: I'm playing the PC port.

1upsuper

If you're playing the PS4 version, try the Perfect Arrange, i'ts much easier to get into, but still has advanced scoring mechanics with the Max Rank mode. It's super fun.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm playing the PS4 release. I've mainly been playing Arcade mode and doing terribly but I'll check out Perfect Arrange. This game's aesthetics are so good too. Plus I love any game with a large ship roster.

Picked up Gradius V on PS3 this week and despite being a complete novice at these games (I can just about get to Ikaruga stage 3 in one credit) it's really fun and pretty accessible. In particular I absolutely love the graphical style, it looks amazing even today and you can tell they spend a lot of money on it!

Now to try to get beyond level 2...

Gradius V is an excellent game in an excellent series. I prefer II and Gaiden but V is probably my third favorite in the series. It's a shame that there are no moai though. :/

What's cool about V is that it feels like a passing of the torch. Konami was a key player in the golden age of shmups and Treasure was there during the genre's transitory stage with RSG and Ikaruga and I think you can tell with V that it has both classic and more modern shmup sensibilities.

PantsuJo

Is Twinkle Star Sprites supposed to become increasingly unresponsive as additional enemies appear on screen? Started playing today, and while Stage 1 & 2 aren't bad, 3+ start to become unmanageable.

Edit: I'm playing the PC port.
No, the game was fine but the PC port is shit: I bought it last year and it was so bad I literally deleted it from my Steam library, forever.

I'm having problems with the audio on Star Force, the stereo effect on the intro music is busted and I can't find the audio setting menu that's in the US releases - can anybody help with this?

ChryZ

No, the game was fine but the PC port is shit: I bought it last year and it was so bad I literally deleted it from my Steam library, forever.
I'm pretty sure the ROM is included with the DotEmu release. Since you own a license of the game, I seen no moral issue with just replacing the DotEmu emulator with something functional like MAME or FBA.

Not sure if it's been posted here but apparently NOISZ, a rhythm game/shmup hybrid (by devs who worked on Pump It Up Infinity and Neon FM) gets a Steam Early Access release on 9/15. Not entirely sure what Steam Early Access is, but should be worth checking out. http://noiszgame.com/

Tain

Not sure if it's been posted here but apparently NOISZ, a rhythm game/shmup hybrid (by devs who worked on Pump It Up Infinity and Neon FM) gets a Steam Early Access release on 9/15. Not entirely sure what Steam Early Access is, but should be worth checking out. http://noiszgame.com/

Early Access is basically for when devs want to warn users upfront that they are selling an unfinished game.

I generally avoid Early Access games until they're finished, barring some typically multiplayer-focused exceptions (PUBG).

Creepy

Didn't Caladrius Blaze already have a PS4 release? ....or did I imagine that?...

I haven't really followed it, already have the PS3 version.

1upsuper

Edit: Found what I was looking for below, so let me ask a different question: Aside from R-Type Final, what are some SHMUPs with lots of playable ships?

Can someone tell me where/how to buy Cho Ren Sha 68k? Apparently it got an update recently for Windows(?) and this game looks sick as hell. I gotta play it but I'm having trouble finding where to buy it.

Yes Boss!

I haven't picked up any LRG games that also had Asian physical releases- anyone have a sense of whether the manuals would get a better translation? The Asian English translation is sort of spotty, although so is the in game text, so...

My guess is it is the same manual as LRG is freaking cheap. I'd just stick with the Asian if you already got it.

Edit: Found what I was looking for below, so let me ask a different question: Aside from R-Type Final, what are some SHMUPs with lots of playable ships?

There's nowhere to go but down after you've played the game with 100 ships, but...

Raiden Fighters has always had large ship selections as a feature.

DariusBurst Chronicles Saviors, of course, has all the ships from the series plus 15 DLC ships from other games.

Super Galaxy Squadron on Steam has far too many ships, with not nearly all of them useful.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Can someone tell me where/how to buy Cho Ren Sha 68k? Apparently it got an update recently for Windows(?) and this game looks sick as hell. I gotta play it but I'm having trouble finding where to buy it.

Cho Ren Sha is a free game, you can download it here: http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html

I can't think of any games that rival Final in terms of sheer number of ships but Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours has quite a few--9 by default and an additional 15 via DLC (and they're crossover ships from Sega, Capcom, Cave, 8ing and other Taito games).

1upsuper

There's nowhere to go but down after you've played the game with 100 ships, but...

Raiden Fighters has always had large ship selections as a feature.

DariusBurst Chronicles Saviors, of course, has all the ships from the series plus 15 DLC ships from other games.

Super Galaxy Squadron on Steam has far too many ships, with not nearly all of them useful.

Cho Ren Sha is a free game, you can download it here: http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html

I can't think of any games that rival Final in terms of sheer number of ships but Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours has quite a few--9 by default and an additional 15 via DLC (and they're crossover ships from Sega, Capcom, Cave, 8ing and other Taito games).

Thanks! I forgot to mention DB:CS -- I got all the DLC during the last PSN sale. That's a great game. I'll definitely check out the rest. I feel like SHMUPs rarely if ever break the 2-4 ship mold if they bother to add more than 1 to begin with.

Edit: Huh, looks like Raiden Legacy is on GOG.

Edit edit: Apparently that version is shit. Apparently ALL the versions of Legacy on PC are shit. UGH.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
My guess is it is the same manual as LRG is freaking cheap. I'd just stick with the Asian if you already got it.

That's what I figured, and wasn't planning on double dipping- pretty sure the US release translation in-game is the same loveable nonsense as the Asian English version (although if it's better, I would love to know), so wasn't getting my hopes up.

Anyone on the fence, though, the little art book was a pleasant surprise for me, but I like the designs in the game (despite not loving the shame break mechanic). I was pretty happy with what I got for 30$, and this way it won't take 2 months on a slow boat from Singapore, so... Considering some of the LRG releases (a lot?) haven't had any sort of manuals at all, it is a pretty good package for the price. Game is also pretty good, although I don't love being able to pick and choose your weapons in the regular mode (think I'm remembering right), as I don't think shmups need a power gaming kit meta, but oh well. Just means high score differences between ships are pretty moot.

At AVGC a gaming convention here in NJ I got to play a metric ass ton of Dragon Saber and my favorite shooter of all time ESP. Ra. De. on actual cabs. Was so damn good.

Regiruler

I finally picked up Recca. I'm enjoying it a lot (but it's lack of continues is really punishing), but why does it feel so much like a Hudson shmup? The speed change is there as is the dual power ups from Blazing Lasers: were mechanics like these simply standard?

It's also... really hard to play on the small screen. This is the first game that's really been an issue for me. Everything is so small and they flicker a ton.

...If I were to ever get into game development, I think a light remake of Recca would probably be a dream project just to get rid of the damn flicker, and to add the continue system from soldier blade (score doesn't carry over but you go back to the start of the stage).

1upsuper

Raiden fighters jet in particular has 14 different ones

Yagawa's bat trilogy has a decent amount of ships

I really wish the Raiden Legacy PC ports weren't shit. I'm tempted to buy the GOG version anyway since the Fighters games look so cool. And I love good ship variety.

As for the bat trilogy, I'm really hoping the other two get the Battle Garegga treatment on PS4 or PC. Battle Garegga is so good and I really want to play the other two.

I finally picked up Recca. I'm enjoying it a lot (but it's lack of continues is really punishing), but why does it feel so much like a Hudson shmup? The speed change is there as is the dual power ups from Blazing Lasers: were mechanics like these simply standard?

It's also... really hard to play on the small screen. This is the first game that's really been an issue for me. Everything is so small and they flicker a ton.

...If I were to ever get into game development, I think a light remake of Recca would probably be a dream project just to get rid of the damn flicker, and to add the continue system from soldier blade (score doesn't carry over but you go back to the start of the stage).

Recca is so, so good. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't have credits because it was a caravan game, right? It was made for the score attack aspect, so losing your score to continue wouldn't make sense. But doesn't it have some other mode, maybe an unlockable mode? It's been a while since I've played it.

Edit: Yeah, there's an infinite lives cheat and a level select. Plus a brutal secret mode that adds suicide bullets and gives you 50 lives.

Top Bottom