• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

gunstarhero

What would you say are the best 16bit shmups?

Here's my initial list - but there's a lot more great 16bit shooters, especially on the Genesis.

Thunderforce 3 (Genesis)
Lightening Force (Genesis)
MUSHA (Genesis)
Elemental Master (Genesis)
Gates of Thunder (T16)
Lords of Thunder (T16)
Blazing Lazers (T16)

Here's my initial list - but there's a lot more great 16bit shooters, especially on the Genesis.

Thunderforce 3 (Genesis)
MUSHA (Genesis)
Gates of Thunder (T16)
Lords of Thunder (T16)
Blazing Lazers (T16)

My man. Lord of Thunder is my GOAT shmup. The music is league ahead of any other 16 bit game.

AmyS

Gates of Thunder & Lords of Thunder are so incredible.

Imagine if they had been programmed for the SuperGrafx w/ Super CD-ROM2 instead of the base PCE / tg-16... The mind reels with double the sprites and background layers.

@MUWANdo

Banned
would you say it's better on Turbo CD than on Sega CD?

The music or the game?

The game's better on TGCD (better weapon balance, exclusive difficulty mode) but don't hesitate to get the Sega version if that's all you have access to.

As for the music, the compositions are the same across both games but the recordings are different: the TGCD version uses standard heavy metal arrangements whereas the Sega version is full of constant Malmsteen-esque guitar noodling.

shaowebb

TROUBLE WITCHES ORIGIN GETTING COTTON DLC!

6dDOMba.jpg
nBjiHCU.jpg

This is outta nowhere. I think it may go up either today or tomorrow too!
Hope this is a sign of Cotton coming back soon in general.

The black label mode for Pink Sweets is not in the 360 release, correct? Also, did they ever offer that mode as DLC? Having played the PCB of the black label, Pink Sweets is so much better in this mode.

There are a couple more Cotton announcements due this year but I don't expect a brand new game (unless it's a mobile game...)

Will the Saturn games get ported to any modern systems? They're pretty expensive now (than again, a mojority of Cotton games are expensive now).

Fularu

Banned
Another thing...How in the HELL did Tatsujin Ou / Truxton II not get ported to the Saturn?

I know about the FM Towns Marty port, but still...
We got the third one at least :p (sorry guys Gekkirindan is Tatsujin 3 in all but name, down right to the bombs)

Edit : I know I'll get crucified for this but man I've been trying to get into Dariusbust and it's just not working. Everything about the game is so off putting. It's soooo bland compared to Gaiden or even G

shaowebb

Guilty truth. I loved playing Pink Sweets more than Muchi Pork. I know Pink Sweets is far more obtuse with it's odd power up and rose systems but I loved it. They're was a great rhythm behind nullifying shots and blasting stuff I got hooked on much like how I felt mode swapping in Akai Katana. I got a thing for mode flipping.

It's also fun to yell like Bustah Rhymes as I change shots by yelling "Flip mode!"

SOME-MIST

Uh, what? There's no such thing as Pink Sweets Black Label...

I doubt it but maybe he thinks matsuri mode? or.... arrange? which both weren't made available on PCB.

even longer shot but maybe even ibara kuro

Guilty truth. I loved playing Pink Sweets more than Muchi Pork. I know Pink Sweets is far more obtuse with it's odd power up and rose systems but I loved it. They're was a great rhythm behind nullifying shots and blasting stuff I got hooked on much like how I felt mode swapping in Akai Katana. I got a thing for mode flipping.

It's also fun to yell like Bustah Rhymes as I change shots by yelling "Flip mode!"

once you figure out the rhythm in muchi muchi pork and the game finally clicks, it's such an insanely fun system that's hard to put down.
I brought my board to the chicago meet last month, and people were mind blown / got hooked after they saw how it was supposed to be played.

the rhythm basically being: regular bullets to produce piggies for lard > lard shot to produce medals for scoring > regular bullets to collect medals and produce more piggies. And obviously chaining till you max out your medals at 10k asap and finding the best medal producing spots (like the end of stage 2 and the satellites on stage 5) until you win the game

I obviously love pink sweets too, but I mainly stuck with it until I got a few arrange 1CCs and moved back to MMP.

Tain

Text suggests an abandonment of the arcade structure. For me that means I'm still interested but I'm proceeding with caution, lol.

Raptomex

Thunderforce 3 (Genesis)
MUSHA (Genesis)
Gates of Thunder (T16)
Lords of Thunder (T16)
Blazing Lazers (T16)
If Genesis is a must then this list should suffice. However, if you own a Saturn, I would really encourage anybody to play TF3 and 4 (Lightening Force) on Saturn if they can find the Gold Packs. Specifically 4.

Raptomex

Is it better on Saturn in some way?
i want to know too!
In 4's case, there's no frame rate dips, although, I've heard some say those benefit the game. I disagree. When you beat the game you unlock the TF3 ship. I'm not sure if that's the case in the Genesis version. If you're in love with TF3, Gold Pack 2 is the only way to play Thunder Force AC at home as well. Straight arcade port. I paid quite a bit for both Gold Packs several months ago and as a collector, I'm glad I did. They're in excellent shape, too. However, if you're not a collector, I would say just stick with Gold Pack 2 and forget 1. I think Gold Pack 1 includes straight ports of Genesis TF2 and 3 with minor audio issues. However, Gold Pack 2 includes the only version of AC for home consoles and in my opinion, the superior version of 4.

Is it appropriate to post a review here? I reviewed 3, AC, and Spirits a while back in one video.
no, the sound emulation isn't quite perfect on the saturn version (much better than gold pack 1 however), damn close though.
I agree when talking about 3. But I don't remember any issues with 4. I need to play it again. I know for a fact it's a smoother experience.

shaowebb

I got one of those pandoras box 4s arcades. 680 games. Now their is a new 4s+ arcade not 5 months later with over 800 games including some sweet beatemups that were rare. I need to run some comparisons to check for shmup additions.

Definitely get in on this stuff folks. Been playing Cotton, Esp.Ra.De, Espgaluda, Truxton 2, and tons upon tons of other titles like all them good ass R Type games.

Im beginning to believe that no shmup fan should be without these things. Just so many titles like Progear remain lost otherwise.

Fularu

Banned
I got one of those pandoras box 4s arcades. 680 games. Now their is a new 4s+ arcade not 5 months later with over 800 games including some sweet beatemups that were rare. I need to run some comparisons to check for shmup additions.

Definitely get in on this stuff folks. Been playing Cotton, Esp.Ra.De, Espgaluda, Truxton 2, and tons upon tons of other titles like all them good ass R Type games.

Im beginning to believe that no shmup fan should be without these things. Just so many titles like Progear remain lost otherwise.

The Pandora's hardware is ancient and has issues with many games but depending on which one you got (L shaped board? HDMI out one?) you can just reflash the microsd card and get the 815 games on it.

There's a site detailing which ones can be hacked

shaowebb

The Pandora's hardware is ancient and has issues with many games but depending on which one you got (L shaped board? HDMI out one?) you can just reflash the microsd card and get the 815 games on it.

There's a site detailing which ones can be hacked

Neat. Thing is if you got a jamma harness its not hard to build up from the board into either a full arcade plug n play stick or a full arcade cab. Since I got so many sticks laying around I've considered just getting the new board and swapping it into my current plug n play and using the old 4s to convert one of my other sticks for a gift. It'd make the most outta old hardware I got that takes up space. After all, why do I need the old ps2 all wood giganto stick now that all the fighters I had for that are on my 4s anyway? Plus I got a zero delay converter that lets me run the better sanwa gear for that console with my main stick anyhow that was modded for all kinds of console usage.

Only thing I wish I'd see added to the Pandoras box stuff is the MVC2 board and a few more beat em ups that were arcade only like Gaiaopolis. They've almost got my entire arcade hitlist now on the Pandora's box series though and Its quality is pretty high compared to alternatives like "games family" boards that have notorious sound issues. Retropie is covering me for the rest I suppose. Still that MVC2 absence hurts. Its probably because the Arcade MVC2 was Dreamcast VMU compatible and had some sorta hardware that let you swap arcade playtime for experience to unlock things on the home version. That gear might be why the arcade board isn't a part of the Pandoras Box vs series lineup...probably causes some issues or something in dumping the rom. Just a guess though...I dont really have a clue.

I wish any of these pandoras box boards had the Castle Shikigami games on them. Could also use more psikyo and ps1 era stuff, but a lot of those weren't really arcade things to begin with.

Fularu

Banned
It's because the Pandora hardware is in no way able to emulate the Naomi boards. Just remember that the Pandora is just an emulation box and the A13 in there coupled with the Mali 400 GPU just can't handle such demanding systems beyond CPS-2/3

shaowebb

It's because the Pandora hardware is in no way able to emulate the Naomi boards. Just remember that the Pandora is just an emulation box and the A13 in there coupled with the Mali 400 GPU just can't handle such demanding systems beyond CPS-2/3

Good to know. I was never really certain on the specifics why. I just knew MVC2 was a later one and it wasn't showing up on their stuff. Still the quality of whats on there has definitely made up for the "onesy twosy" titles that are missing to have a perfect collection all on one arcade. It beats buying up the rigs that folks have been selling that have those but only with overall poor quality. My god the sound issues on things with those Games Family 2100+ arcades.

If you ever wanted to play the audio for a shmup through a bad chiptune soundbank thats your setup. Some of those games were just unplayable due to all the audio screeches. All my stuff on the Pandoras Box 4s looks, plays and sounds good at least. I leave the "perfect collecting" to those hyperspin folks.

Tain

I tried a Pandora's Box recently at a convention and it was choking on Espgaluda and seemed to have screen tearing on every game.

Fularu

Banned
I tried a Pandora's Box recently at a convention and it was choking on Espgaluda and seemed to have screen tearing on every game.

It only happens with HDMI though, In CGA mode (with a real arcade monitor) it's handling most games prety well.

But you're better off just going with a retropie setup and the necessary stuff to hook it up to an Arcade unit.

Dambrosi

Banned
It only happens with HDMI though, In CGA mode (with a real arcade monitor) it's handling most games prety well.

But you're better off just going with a retropie setup and the necessary stuff to hook it up to an Arcade unit.
That wouldn't work for me, since the reason I have a Pandora in the first place is to give me something to use with my Pana Custom supergun (since buying arcade PCBs on my income is LOL).

Edit: It'd be great if I could though, playing some of those Saturn shmups with that sweet double-Sanwa setup would be bae.

Really? The one I was using was hooked up to a Blast City, CRT and all.
Are you sure it was a Pandora 4? I use mine with a big heavy PC CRT monitor, and I've never had tearing issues. I dunno if it could be called a proper 15hz arcade monitor, though.

shaowebb

Really? The one I was using was hooked up to a Blast City, CRT and all.

You can go and configure for each game individually too on a pandoras box. Theres a button on the board you hit that lets you enter this settings mode to config all kinds of things (difficulty, credits, screen options, etc). I forget the setting but there is stuff to clear up the screen tearing built in. You just need to turn it on when you find a title that suffers from it.

Fularu

Banned
That wouldn't work for me, since the reason I have a Pandora in the first place is to give me something to use with my Pana Custom supergun (since buying arcade PCBs on my income is LOL).

Edit: It'd be great if I could though, playing some of those Saturn shmups with that sweet double-Sanwa setup would be bae.

Are you sure it was a Pandora 4? I use mine with a big heavy PC CRT monitor, and I've never had tearing issues. I dunno if it could be called a proper 15hz arcade monitor, though.

Something like this? ;-)

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54733

How is Graze Counter? I was thinking of picking it up. The characters are a turnoff for me, but grazing is one of my favorite shmup mechanics.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Anybody knows if Gunbarich was originally played in the arcades with a knob/spinner (Arkanoid style) controller?
Or a normal joystick? That's my make it or break it about buying the Switch port since I'm already disappointed there's no online leaderboards.
Dunno but looking at videos I get a feeling the gameplay was built around spinning controls and a joystick wouldn't be true to the proper experience, hopefully I'm wrong.

Top Bottom