• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Diehard GameFan reviews of Layer Section (aka Galactic Attack aka RayForce), In The Hunt, Darius Gaiden.

In The Hunt PlayStation preview & review

opps sorry, double post.

Thanks mate, great stuff!
Btw, not really a proper Shmup and not officially confirmed, but a little bird told me Wild Guns Reloaded is coming to Switch. There's even talks of a physical release (unclear for which territory/ies).
Not making a thread since I can't share the source or anything but I thought maybe someone here would be interested in hearing this. Of course, file it under "rumour" atm.

Btw, not really a proper Shmup and not officially confirmed, but a little bird told me Wild Guns Reloaded is coming to Switch. There's even talks of a physical release (unclear for which territory/ies).
Not making a thread since I can't share the source or anything but I thought maybe someone here would be interested in hearing this. Of course, file it under "rumour" atm.
Wow, I would love to see that come into fruition.

They're really dragging their feet with the Steam release...

ACESmkII

https://www.rxn.jp/

New Guti (developed the raiden fighters aces games, ex Seibu Kaihatsu staff) game incoming, rumoured to be a console vertical shmup.

Props to @shmups for the news.

This is great news.. RXN = Raixen

All joking aside, I love the Raiden Fighters Series so this has me quite excited for the unveiling of the project. I wonder if it is sprite based or polygonal.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Alright! Hope it gets a physical so i can sell the PS4-version. This kind of game feels completely at home at a Nintendo-system imo.

finley83

Banned
Edge's Ikaruga review:

4g6ZX2F.jpg
wFF0h1V.jpg]

Sorry for the slight cropping in the centre - I only have an A4 sized scanner and 00's Edge was printed wider than it can handle!

chocolate disco

Neo Member
Does anyone know what happened to Final Form Games? The latest info I could find was an interview from the last year.
Still waiting for that Jamestown+ pc release.

Does anyone know what happened to Final Form Games? The latest info I could find was an interview from the last year.

Is there any reason to think Jamestown+ is coming to PC at all?

A lot of these recent Sony-funded enhanced ports of indie PC games just never get back-ported to PC.

@MUWANdo

Banned

As far as I know the people who made Jamestown have all moved on and the company only still exists to keep the game on the marketplace, but don't quote me on that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I watched a video by Metal Jesus Rocks yesterday where him and Reggie played CALADRIUS BLAZE on PS4. It got me super interested to give the genre a shot.

Any on PS4 worth grabbing right now? Any on sale? Wanting to snag something a bit cheaper and not pay super expensive import level prices for any Play-Asia stuff at the moment.

E: Also, my fight stick should be arriving soon for my PC. So any Steam SHMUPS that play well with that arcade stick movement (on and off versus gradual...I'm sure there's a name for it).

Tain

I watched a video by Metal Jesus Rocks yesterday where him and Reggie played CALADRIUS BLAZE on PS4. It got me super interested to give the genre a shot.

Any on PS4 worth grabbing right now? Any on sale? Wanting to snag something a bit cheaper and not pay super expensive import level prices for any Play-Asia stuff at the moment.

E: Also, my fight stick should be arriving soon for my PC. So any Steam SHMUPS that play well with that arcade stick movement (on and off versus gradual...I'm sure there's a name for it).

The vast majority of great games in the genre are built around digital arcade sticks, so you're good on that front!

IMO your best bets on PS4 right now that don't involve ordering physical imports or buying Japanese PSN credit are DariusBurst (full price game but extremely good) and probably Gradius, Gradius II, Pulstar, and Last Resort in the Arcade Archive line. Also Caladrius. It's kinda slim pickings in NA (I'm not a fan of Astebreed or Jamestown), particularly for more modern-style vertical games. If you're willing to grab some Japanese PSN credit, Dangun Feveron and Battle Garegga are probably the best PS4 releases in the genre.

Steam has a better selection though. The musts on Steam imo are DoDonPachi Resurrection, Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, Ikaruga, Crimzon Clover, and DariusBurst, but there's also Raiden IV, Caladrius, Strania, Shikigami no Shiro, Eschatos, the Triangle Service games... There's a lot.

Raptomex

I think somebody in this thread posted about that awesome Darius 30th Anniversary collection for PS4. Japan exclusive and expensive.

BOTEC

Would love to see Arcade Archives Salamander 2 and Xexex on modern consoles.

Last week I got this:

But only PSP's Salalander Portable has Xexex.

But since it's on PSP it lacks graphics. The high latency on the PSP screen makes bullets impossible to see. It is literally unplayable.

AmyS

But since it's on PSP it lacks graphics. The high latency on the PSP screen makes bullets impossible to see. It is literally unplayable.

I think you meant PSP lacks screen size, right? But yeah, everything is a bit hard too see and it's too easy to die. It's not like playing the arcade / PCB on a proper CRT monitor.

i want this!!! nice =)

I've wanted that compilation since the late 90s. Now there are so many other Saturn shmups I want, especially the 32bit-class shooters that were on the Sega ST-V, Taito F3 hardware. etc.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I think you meant PSP lacks screen size, right? But yeah, everything is a bit hard too see and it's too easy to die. It's not like playing the arcade / PCB on a proper CRT monitor.

He's talking about the refresh rate of the screen, which causes very obvious color trailing in high-contrast, high-speed games.

AmyS

He's talking about the refresh rate of the screen, which causes very obvious color trailing in high-contrast, high-speed games.

Well yeah I know, the PSP's TFT LCD screen is far from ideal. I understand the inherent latency issue, it's just the comment "it lacks graphics" threw me off a bit, hehe :)

Raptomex

Is it really a collection or just Darius 1 + series OSTs?
Well a collection of Darius 1. I do really want it but not for the price it's going for.
Would love to see Arcade Archives Salamander 2 and Xexex on modern consoles.

Last week I got this:

But only PSP's Salalander Portable has Xexex.
Holy shit. Congrats. This is next on my list of expensive Saturn games to get. I recently acquired both Thunder Force Gold Packs.

AmyS

Well a collection of Darius 1. I do really want it but not for the price it's going for.

Holy shit. Congrats. This is next on my list of expensive Saturn games to get. I recently acquired both Thunder Force Gold Packs.

Thanks!

Before last night I had my Saturn hooked up via composite video to an 1080p LED/LCD screen which obviously produces a disgustingly bad image (absolutely disgusting!) to a Sony 32 inch CRT via s-video. Everything just pops, looks so amazing, even though granted, it's not full RGB via SCART, something I've never experienced and probably won't for some time.

As for the original Salamander / Life Force itself, this game must have been a revelation in arcades in '86, as the leap from the first arcade Gradius in '85 to this, it is just incredible. Even on the NES, the leap from Gradius to Life Force was awesome. Those were among the first NES games I played as a kid, at a friends house in 87-88. (I ended up going from Atari 7800 to SMS to Genesis in just over 2 years).

p.s. I gotta get both Thunder Force Gold Packs!

Raptomex

Thanks!

Before last night I had my Saturn hooked up via composite video to an 1080p LED/LCD screen which obviously produces a disgustingly bad image (absolutely disgusting!) to a Sony 32 inch CRT via s-video. Everything just pops, looks so amazing, even though granted, it's not full RGB via SCART, something I've never experienced and probably won't for some time.

As for the original Salamander / Life Force itself, this game must have been a revelation in arcades in '86, as the leap from the first arcade Gradius in '85 to this, it is just incredible. Even on the NES, the leap from Gradius to Life Force was awesome. Those were among the first NES games I played as a kid, at a friends house in 87-88. (I ended up going from Atari 7800 to SMS to Genesis in just over 2 years).

p.s. I gotta get both Thunder Force Gold Packs!
RGB is the way to go if you're able. I keep my Saturn hooked up to a CRT using s-video but when I need to record gameplay I use SCART to an upscaler, outputting to 1080p. Looks glorious. I haven't played Salamander but I do like Gradius. Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 is highly recommended. You'll get to play the best version of TF IV.

AmyS

RGB is the way to go if you're able. I keep my Saturn hooked up to a CRT using s-video but when I need to record gameplay I use SCART to an upscaler, outputting to 1080p. Looks glorious. I haven't played Salamander but I do like Gradius. Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 is highly recommended. You'll get to play the best version of TF IV.

I know. I have to try. Seems a bit daunting though.

SOME-MIST

nice! I really liked game tengoku game paradise and will be on it day one. so cool to see companies like NMK and Jaleco finally porting their older titles.

ChryZ

thanks! just curious. how did players obtain the password without looking at the guide. usually the museum tells how to unlock stuff.
i tried playing w/o any help to be surprised unlocking ships but didn't get that far.
No idea, where the passwords come from. Probably another case of, "those master guides don't sell themselves"

fGRCzsV.jpg

EDIT: looking at the content description, it really seems to be the source https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4757715706/

AmyS

This just reminded of Vulcan Venture/ Gradius II collection on PSN. Anybody know if that's a worthwhile conversion? Or is it just an emulated repackage?

It seems good, but I am no expert. There's plenty of screen and machine options, as with all the ACA games I've played so far.

I'd love to have the X68000 version. It's not 100% arcade perfect but closer than the PC-Engine SCD version (which is available on Wii VC and obviously blows the Famicom version of the water, the game we did not get on our NES.)

X68K ver 60fps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvR1iMN7tDc

And also, the X68K-exclusive Nemesis 90 Kai, that was never ported to any other platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpHUfHAAe1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8B4Hkucs10

AmyS

Do any of you wish that TechnoSoft had made a Thunder Force V for Saturn that was strictly 2D sprites with tons of parallax, in the same vein as Thunder Force IV on the Mega Drive? I do, because honestly, I didn't like TFV on Saturn or TFV Perfect System on PS1, at all. Almost everyone agrees TF IV was the pinnacle of the series and pushed the MD to the limit, especially for 1992. I mean, can you imagine a Thunder Force V on Saturn taking advantage of virtually unlimited amounts of sprites? And then thinking what TechnoSoft did in TF4 in terms of parallax, knowing the MD only did two layers in hardware, and knowing the Saturn had something like 5 or 7 layers...just extrapolate from there what TechnoSoft could have achieved...

MD / Genesis hardware: 68000 7.6 MHz / 80 sprites / 64 out of 512 colors
Thunder Force IV - 8 megabit cartridge.

Saturn twin SH-2 CPU 28 MHz each, lots of co-processors. Number of sprites and colors not an issue. 5-7 hardware layers could be made to look like many more considering all the parallax on the MD with just 2 hw layers. Etc, Etc!

CD-ROM storage (~600 MB storage)

gunstarhero

Do any of you wish that TechnoSoft had made a Thunder Force V for Saturn that was strictly 2D sprites with tons of parallax, in the same vein as Thunder Force IV on the Mega Drive? I do, because honestly, I didn't like TFV on Saturn or TFV Perfect System on PS1, at all. Almost everyone agrees TF IV was the pinnacle of the series and pushed the MD to the limit, especially for 1992. I mean, can you imagine a Thunder Force V on Saturn taking advantage of virtually unlimited amounts of sprites? And then thinking what TechnoSoft did in TF4 in terms of parallax, knowing the MD only did two layers in hardware, and knowing the Saturn had something like 5 or 7 layers...just extrapolate from there what TechnoSoft could have achieved...

MD / Genesis hardware: 68000 7.6 MHz / 80 sprites / 64 out of 512 colors
Thunder Force IV - 8 megabit cartridge.

Saturn twin SH-2 CPU 28 MHz each, lots of co-processors. Number of sprites and colors not an issue. 5-7 hardware layers could be made to look like many more considering all the parallax on the MD with just 2 hw layers. Etc, Etc!

CD-ROM storage (~600 MB storage)

10000% agree.

I was so disappointed when TFV came out - I really tried to like it, but it's so hard to look at or even tell what's going on.

Thunderforce 2, 3 and 4 are still some of my favorite Genesis games, and easily my favorite shooter series.

With Sega now holding the rights, I hope they give a dev a shot at making a full blown sequel (with sprites!). Similar to how they are treating Sonic Mania.

I know it'll never happen - but I can dream.

Top Bottom