• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
tate.. on a switch? if only there was a way to lock the joycons in tate mode.

I keep hoping Switch will become a popular spot for shmups, just because of the possibility of playing in tate in handheld, since I don't have an appropriate TV or monitor for PS4/PC. But that's where all the new shmup releases live!

cj_iwakura

It's pretty rough. The entire port is rough, honestly- not sure if I'm happy enough with it to keep it, but I guess 10$ might not be worth refunding if I might rebuy it later. More that I don't like rewarding shoddy ports, even if it is a series and genre I want to support.

I don't really like the way it plays compared to the sequels-feels kind of sloppy and stuff all around- so I'm really only messing around with it for the story, I guess. Figure this way I can finally pay attention to the story in 2, and since the translation in 1 is so meh, the crappy PS2 localization of 2 won't feel out of place.

Honestly pretty disappointed in Degica on this one, while being relatively content with their other PC ports (slowdown issues etc. not withstanding). At least those had stage select for training- the guy from Degica they had on STG Weekly seemed surprised people would want that, for some reason- replays too.

I'd love a real translation of Shiki 2's story. A lot is going on, and the poor localization doesn't pay it any mind.

Shiki 1's is really crazy, too. The fan translation probably isn't compatible, since it's based on a completely different program.

cj_iwakura

If anyone's curious, small comparison between fan translation and Degica:
https://iwakuraproductions.wordpres...-compare-to-iwakura-ps-version-lets-find-out/
DCaNJTYU0AAkLT0.jpg

DCaNK7AVoAAGB5n.jpg

I'd make a thread, but since it's my work, that feels kind of shilly.

What were the original Japanese lines for those? Without it there is little to evaluate besides the incorrect semicolon use in one of those screens.

DariusBurst CS is 60% off on steam. So close to finally getting this one. What are the game's greatest strengths compared to different shooters? Would be my first horizontal shmup...

Tain

Yeah, I'm happy with SnS now. Kinda weird that you need to set UI to off/classic to get Real Tate but whatever.

DariusBurst CS is 60% off on steam. So close to finally getting this one. What are the game's greatest strengths compared to different shooters? Would be my first horizontal shmup...

The feel of the game is very oldschool. Plays almost exactly like the classic Darius games but with a few more bells and whistles. The game itself has a really neat aquatic robot creatures in space theme which is sort of the series trademark. As an oldschool hori shmup, expect it to get really challenging.

The main strength of Dariusburst CS, though, I think, is the amount of content to play through.

You have: 40+ unique bosses. Original arcade mode + original EX mode (this is the traditional arcade mode with branching levels). Another Chronicle mode (a direct port of the PSP version, boasts "3000+ unlockable stages). Chronicle Saviors mode (which is essentially a series of 186 unlockable challenge stages).

There are like 9 unlockable ships in the base game itself. But whats even crazier is that they've been releasing DLC like crazier that give you more unique levels to play with. The DLC ships are often from other shmup series which is really cool.

I don't really know of any other shmup that has this much content in it really. But most importantly, the gameplay itself is very solid. Not only that, but its the only shmup I know to take advantage of an ultra-wide monitor! You can't go wrong.

BOTEC

I guess I'm doing something wrong with SnS. Screen tearing is still a threat in "normal" full screen, and Tate full screen. It's perfectly fine in windowed mode though. Should I post my specs, 'cause I don't fucking remember that shit, AMD something CPU + GPU, 8GB RAM, Windows 10. That's all I have.

Instead I played some Blue Revolver v1.1. What a brilliant game. Did it win any indie awards? Because it fucking deserves some. It's also 50% off ($7.49) during the Summer Sale. Buy it now.

Beckx

Blue Revolver is too badass for words. One of my top three games of last year.

Their group is working on a follow up game with the same characters. (doesn't look like a shmup in the one cropped shot they showed). Day one.

cj_iwakura

I wasn't mistaken, they did take some of the pro-Fuhrer dialogue out of Fumiko's script.

JP:
 必ずや一人残らず首を刈り、総統の墓前に飾ってご覧にいれます。

EN:
I will take all their heads and display them before the Fuhrer's grave.

The feel of the game is very oldschool. Plays almost exactly like the classic Darius games but with a few more bells and whistles. The game itself has a really neat aquatic robot creatures in space theme which is sort of the series trademark. As an oldschool hori shmup, expect it to get really challenging.

The main strength of Dariusburst CS, though, I think, is the amount of content to play through.

You have: 40+ unique bosses. Original arcade mode + original EX mode (this is the traditional arcade mode with branching levels). Another Chronicle mode (a direct port of the PSP version, boasts "3000+ unlockable stages). Chronicle Saviors mode (which is essentially a series of 186 unlockable challenge stages).

There are like 9 unlockable ships in the base game itself. But whats even crazier is that they've been releasing DLC like crazier that give you more unique levels to play with. The DLC ships are often from other shmup series which is really cool.

I don't really know of any other shmup that has this much content in it really. But most importantly, the gameplay itself is very solid. Not only that, but its the only shmup I know to take advantage of an ultra-wide monitor! You can't go wrong.

Ha, exactly what I wanted to know, thanks :) I had to decide between Blue Revolver and this one. Maybe I'll just get both but regarding DB:CS I'll certainly bite now!

Narroo

The flip side, a lot of that content is randomly generated. And honestly, the game's been out for nearly 2 years and it's base price is still $50, and it has a ton of expensive DLC to boot.

Shmups meet happened, though no streams or photos; it ended up being pretty low attendance (no out of town presence and a lot of last minute cancels this time) and this ended up being pretty low effort. Had some good Indian food for dinner though.

Woah, what? Not even Gradius?

Money and ignorance are the only factors here :D Yep! I'm quite new to the genre as a whole...Ikaruga was my only shmup for years, actually. I was a Nintendo guy for most of my life and let's be real, I don't regret anything. I'm slowly catching up. :)

1upsuper

Money and ignorance are the only factors here :D Yep! I'm quite new to the genre as a whole Ikaruga was my only shmup for years, actually. I was a Nintendo guy for most of my life and let's be real, I don't regret anything. I'm slowly catching up. :)

Better late than never! But Nintendo systems got good SHMUP selections for years, especially Gradius/Parodius.

I'm a little worried that Degica isn't pursuing Cave ports after M2 snatched up Dangun Feveron and Ketsui. M2 does a great job but they're in no hurry to bring things to the West or PC. Kinda sucks.

I'm a little worried that Degica isn't pursuing Cave ports after M2 snatched up Dangun Feveron and Ketsui. M2 does a great job but they're in no hurry to bring things to the West or PC. Kinda sucks.
Unless I misread the situation, I'm fairly certain Degica is merely a publisher, not a developer; they don't have the capacity to produce ports of their own, unlike M2 (which has spent the vast majority of their existence as a developer; Dangun is only their second self-published work).

M2 nearly put Dangun Feveron out on the 360 so clearly that one was in mind for quite some time. Cave seemingly don't have the development capacity to port games from the ground up anymore in house, they are just transferring the 360 code they worked on for the Steam releases. That's why Ketsui is being done by M2 as well, the 360 / PS3 versions were by 5bp so Cave cant work with that code themselves, have to get M2 to start from scratch. Which in turn means I think Futari is more likely to be released on PS4 as a ShotTriggers release too.

As for more games on Steam, it will happen if the below from a guy over at Degica is anything to go by...

"And we're still working with Cave (as evidenced by this week's Dodonpachi update), but we don't have anything that we can announce right now."

Unless I misread the situation, I'm fairly certain Degica is merely a publisher, not a developer; they don't have the capacity to produce ports of their own, unlike M2 (which has spent the vast majority of their existence as a developer; Dangun is only their second self-published work).

Exactly, its up to Cave what they actually release, Degica just publish what they produce.

vall03

Really tempted to buy something during the Steam Sale, what's recommended between the three, Danmaku Unlimited 3, RefRain, or Varstray?

Really tempted to buy something during the Steam Sale, what's recommended between the three, Danmaku Unlimited 3, RefRain, or Varstray?

RefRain has by far the slickest presentation of the three, if on the technical side in terms of gameplay. Amazing soundtrack, unique mechanics, professional artwork. Basically you are constantly building a gauge that lets you fire four different power levels of special attacks, giving you flexible tools to fit the situation.

Varstray is a chaotic, sensory-overload game that doesn't demand too much precision - there's a very IDGAF feel to everything, including the badly translated story. You build up a gauge that lets you ram enemies to get a ton of points, and the levels (12 in all) are shorter score-attack affairs. It has had a ton of post-release support and rebalancing, plus DLC (which is, weirdly, advertising for a UFO conspiracy magazine).

I haven't played Danmaku Unlimited 3.

Yes Boss!

They are effectively bringing them to the west, however. Buy releasing them on the PS4. And even though slower...they are actually bringing over newer titles instead of just mining the already released. Yeah, yeah Ketsui...but hopefully that pays the bills.

1upsuper

Do you guys use a fightstick to play your PC SHMUPs? I feel like a dummy for owning a stick for fighting games and never thinking to use it for these. <__<

Also, any newish and awesome SHMUPs worth picking up on the Steam sale? I've got RefRrain, the Cave stuff, Zenodyne, Zenohell, Crimzon Clover, DARIUSBURST, Ikaruga, Satazius, and Space Moth. Am I missing anything obvious?

Do you guys use a fightstick to play your PC SHMUPs? I feel like a dummy for owning a stick for fighting games and never thinking to use it for these. <__<

Also, any newish and awesome SHMUPs worth picking up on the Steam sale? I've got RefRrain, the Cave stuff, Zenodyne, Zenohell, Crimzon Clover, DARIUSBURST, Ikaruga, Satazius, and Space Moth. Am I missing anything obvious?

I use my fightstick for shmups almost exclusively. It made me stop caring about dual stick shooters.

Danmaku Unlimited 3 came out a few months ago and ranks very high in my personal overall shmup favourites.

Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo came out last year. I honestly don't like the art style or sound design much, but the shmupping going on here is top notch,

I use a Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA for my shmups. Real nice quality stick. The joystick feels perfect for shmups, better than the MadCatz TE fightstick I had.

You've got most of the big names. But IMO you're missing:

Eschatos (-50% off)
A very cool 3D vertical shmup with awesome retro UFO enemy designs. Switch between wide and narrow shots, and use your shield to absorb enemy fire. What's most notable about this game imo is the crazy dynamic camera angles. Looks awesome.

Blue Revolver (-50% off)
Spectacularly well-made indie shmup with wonderful pixel-art visuals. Get this game especially if you're into the Cave games like Dodonpachi, Mushihimesama and Crimzon Clover.

Some higher budget console ports you should look into: Raiden III, Raiden IV, Bullet Soul, Caladrius Blaze (beware the fanservice)

1upsuper

I use a Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA for my shmups. Real nice quality stick. The joystick feels perfect for shmups, better than the MadCatz TE fightstick I had.

You've got most of the big names. But IMO you're missing:

Eschatos (-50% off)

A very cool 3D vertical shmup with awesome retro UFO enemy designs. Switch between wide and narrow shots, and use your shield to absorb enemy fire. What's most notable about this game imo is the crazy dynamic camera angles. Looks awesome.

Blue Revolver (-50% off)

Spectacularly well-made indie shmup with wonderful pixel-art visuals. Get this game especially if you're into the Cave games like Dodonpachi, Mushihimesama and Crimzon Clover.

Some higher budget console ports you should look into: Raiden III, Raiden IV, Bullet Soul, Caladrius Blaze (beware the fanservice)
Awesome, thanks very much! I'll look into all of these. And I have a HORI RAP4 Kai so I think it'll be perfect.

I went with a Qanba Q1 and it's actually really good for the price, both for fighting games and shmups. Honestly wish I could use it for any game but I guess dual analog controls have been a thing for a few years now :(

joanot

Hey guys, last year I've been completing my Cave collection, the only one I'm missing is Mushihimesama ( PS2 ), I found one guy who is selling it together with Border Down, both for 150 &#8364;.

Is Border Down ( the regular edition ) that rare ? I know you can get a used Mushi for like 30-40 &#8364;.

Hey guys, last year I've been completing my Cave collection, the only one I'm missing is Mushihimesama ( PS2 ), I found one guy who is selling it together with Border Down, both for 150 €.

Is Border Down ( the regular edition ) that rare ? I know you can get a used Mushi for like 30-40 €.

Border Down regular edition isn't that rare but always in demand so €100 or so if its complete and has a good condition disc isn't at all unreasonable.

Top Bottom