• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Looking for a new shooting game. Should I get bullet soul or ghost blade hd? Or something else? (pc only)

i thought both were really luckluster, missing the spark in terms of mechanics and feel. i would only recommend them if you really have exhaused every other option available.

try battle traverse if you dont have it already, it deserves a much bigger fanbase that it has, only bettered by crimzon clover and mecha ritz as far as doujins go imho.

if that doesnt interest you let us know what you do have and will recommend somthing else.

dogen

i thought both were really luckluster, missing the spark in terms of mechanics and feel. i would only recommend them if you really have exhaused every other option available.

try battle traverse if you dont have it already, it deserves a much bigger fanbase that it has, only bettered by crimzon clover and mecha ritz as far as doujins go imho.

if that doesnt interest you let us know what you do have and will recommend somthing else.

Looks good, but I was looking for something on steam (and I usually prefer vertical games). I already have $12 on there, which is why i was looking in the first place. Idk, I guess I probably have most of the good ones on there, except dodonpachi and maybe darius, but those are too expensive.

XxX4z0g.png

i refunded ddp but kept it installed in case it goes on sale lol

dogen

Check out Blue Revolver.

Yeah.. I tried that one and it just felt off to me. also didn't like the pixel art style much..
I mean, I love good pixel art, but I didn't think it actually looked that good.

Is the steam version different from the demo?

actually that mecha ritz game that guy mentioned looks cool. also has fm music. probably gonna buy it

you wont be dissapointed! but why limit yourself to stuff that is only available on steam? shame to miss out on amazing content, its like saying you would not have tried climzon clover before it came out on steam, dont understand that position at all.

Yeah.. I tried that one and it just felt off to me. also didn't like the pixel art style much..

its ok, personally i thought it felt unfinished. the first level was great but the others left a lot to be desired. the worst part was the lack of power up chips for the secondary weapon and the level design and enemy placement just felt off. a good effort from relative novices but it really didnt feel like much more than a hobbyist homebrew with nice art.

dogen

you wont be dissapointed! but why limit yourself to stuff that is only available on steam? shame to miss out on amazing content, its like saying you would not have tried climzon clover before it came out on steam, dont understand that position at all.

It's cause I have $12 on steam.. I mean if there's good stuff for real cheap or free then that's cool.

And I didn't play crimzon clover before steam lol.

gngf123

It's cause I have $12 on steam.. I mean if there's good stuff for real cheap or free then that's cool.

And I didn't play crimzon clover before steam lol.

Did you like Danmaku Unlimited 2? 3 is meant to be significantly better than it.

Ghost Blade HD is okay, but really not that great.

KDR_11k

If you want a twist to your shmup try Revolver 360.

EDIT: A loot-driven shmup called Drifting Lands just came out on Steam, as you probably expect from the loot aspect you need a bit of concentrated fire to kill even basic enemies (a second or so) which I believe is a big no-no to many here. It's not enough to make it hard to kill stuff before it leaves the screen but you can't just sweep your fire across an enemy group and expect to kill anything.

ChryZ

No idea what demo you're talking about. I've played the Steam release for 18 hours so far. Blue Revolver is amazing.

Oh shit, I know it's not really a Shmup but I played EDF (4.1) for the first time this week and couldn't stop. I definitely get s shmup-like rush in harder difficulties. Anyone who didn't try this yet needs to play it!

Mushihimesama (Steam) runs really weird for me for some reason. Framerate looks like its constantly stuttering and it impairs visibility of bullets I think. Other shmups run perfect for me for the most part. How do I fix this?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Does anyone have experience with this Japanese magazine about Shmups called Shooting Gameside.

I keep seeing listings on eBay, but I'd like to know more about what I'd be getting if I ordered one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shooting-ga...%3Aa157be8215c0aa132a09cacbfffd20cc%7Ciid%3A1

Shooting Gameside has been defunct for a few years but it was a great resource when it ran--it had lots of great interviews and features including doujin games and the occasional western-made game as well as stuff like soundtracks and model kits, and they occasionally ran old '90s/'00s features from the original Gameside magazine.

Quite a few of the bigger Shooting Gameside features, including that Toaplan feature, have been translated and can be found at shmuplations.com.

Incidentally, the guy who did the cover art for that magazine is now at M2 and is a key part of the M2STG series.

CristianCL

Neo Member
Good day.
I want to show you a shoot 'em up for PC in which I have been working, it is a traditional horizontal STG in which you can travel between 2 parallel timelines with a button; inspired in some ways by Gekirindan and in some other ways by Border Down.

Here is the Steam page, you can download the demo through the Steam client (v.0.93): http://store.steampowered.com/app/635590/Vulture_Strike/
Here is an older trailer where you can see how the system works: https://youtu.be/kjFe1IRAews

That trailer is outdated because we changed the look of the Wormhole effect, but you can still see how the game plays.

I hope you consider giving the demo a try!
Greetings, have a good day.
PS: that's not a health bar, it's a gauge to activate certain power-ups.

Raptomex

Good day.
I want to show you a shoot 'em up for PC in which I have been working, it is a traditional horizontal STG in which you can travel between 2 parallel timelines with a button; inspired in some ways by Gekirindan and in some other ways by Border Down.

Here is the Steam page, you can download the demo through the Steam client (v.0.93): http://store.steampowered.com/app/635590/Vulture_Strike/
Here is an older trailer where you can see how the system works: https://youtu.be/kjFe1IRAews

That trailer is outdated because we changed the look of the Wormhole effect, but you can still see how the game plays.

I hope you consider giving the demo a try!
Greetings, have a good day.
PS: that's not a health bar, it's a gauge to activate certain power-ups.
Looks pretty cool. Although, I think the player ship blends in with the background a bit too much in the bottom screen shot.

CristianCL

Neo Member
Thank you Raptomex for checking it out!
We tried to make the round graphic in the middle (hitbox indicator) visible at all times, but we still have to improve visibility on the stages that have brighter backgrounds!
Thank you again and have a great day.

PantsuJo

Tain

I'm in gsync land and I didn't run into any issues with pacing, so that's something?

Unfortunately a vertical-screen STG that doesn't have TATE support is not something I can consider a "good port". I guess I can try using OS-level screen rotation, but that's a lame solution.

Ideally I'd be able to pick a display resolution (instead of using desktop) and orientation in-game.

Mushihimesama (Steam) runs really weird for me for some reason. Framerate looks like its constantly stuttering and it impairs visibility of bullets I think. Other shmups run perfect for me for the most part. How do I fix this?

Go to the configuration file in the games steam folder and add the below, for some stupid reason vsync is not and option nor is it enabled by default on any of the pc ports.

Vsync=1

Edit: Could well be what you have to add in the Shikigami port config file too, not bought it myself yet so cannot confirm.

BOTEC

Go to the configuration file in the games steam folder and add the below, for some stupid reason vsync is not and option nor is it enabled by default on any of the pc ports.

Vsync=1

Edit: Could well be what you have to add in the Shikigami port config file too, not bought it myself yet so cannot confirm.

Just gave ver.1.0.1 a try, and screen tearing is still a feature. How can I edit the .cfg file? I tried Notepad but it seems that it's a binary file and not an editable .txt file.

Vsync=1

Wow. That was exactly the issue. Vsync is set to 0 by default. Thanks a lot.

Just gave ver.1.0.1 a try, and screen tearing is still a feature. How can I edit the .cfg file? I tried Notepad but it seems that it's a binary file and not an editable .txt file.

If you are reffering to Shikigami then sorry I dont know, by what you said it doesnt look editable on a configuration file level by the user like the Cave games. If you have an nvidia gpu can you not force vsync?

Looks like quite a poor port from what im reading, dont get how you can release a game with less modes and options than the older existing pc port.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
So uh, did anyone get Shikigami? The translation is solid, but it sure isn't perfect. Very rough draft.
It's pretty rough. The entire port is rough, honestly- not sure if I'm happy enough with it to keep it, but I guess 10$ might not be worth refunding if I might rebuy it later. More that I don't like rewarding shoddy ports, even if it is a series and genre I want to support.

I don't really like the way it plays compared to the sequels-feels kind of sloppy and stuff all around- so I'm really only messing around with it for the story, I guess. Figure this way I can finally pay attention to the story in 2, and since the translation in 1 is so meh, the crappy PS2 localization of 2 won't feel out of place.

Honestly pretty disappointed in Degica on this one, while being relatively content with their other PC ports (slowdown issues etc. not withstanding). At least those had stage select for training- the guy from Degica they had on STG Weekly seemed surprised people would want that, for some reason- replays too.

Top Bottom