• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
How old are you? 32
What is your occupation? Construction
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Dominican
What part of the city do you reside in? The Bronx
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? Born and raised
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? -
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Alone
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? I'll edit in a response later - Maybe Frying Pan since we're in the dog days of summer.
Anything else that's on your mind? Life man, it's beautiful.

LifEndz

How old are you? 34
What is your occupation? Attorney
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Bahamian and Native American.
What part of the city do you reside in? Queens
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? Born and Raised in Queens.
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? N/A
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Live alone, studio apartment.
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? Not many of you make the trek out to Queens, but if you do, definietly check out Austin St. in Forest Hills. Great place to walk around on a sunny day, lots of different shops, bars and food, all for decent prices for NYC and...best of all...the ubiquitous smell of urine is thankfully not present in this part of town.
Anything else that's on your mind? This is, hopefully, my last year in NYC. The rent is just too damn high. Probably making the move to New Jeruz.

Jhoan

How old are you? 32
What is your occupation? Construction
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Dominican
What part of the city do you reside in? The Bronx
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? Born and raised
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? -
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Alone
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? I'll edit in a response later - Maybe Frying Pan since we're in the dog days of summer.
Anything else that's on your mind? Life man, it's beautiful.
Life is beautiful you say? Here's an aptly named song to further encourage them feel good moods:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek

How old are you? 34
What is your occupation? Attorney
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Bahamian and Native American.
What part of the city do you reside in? Queens
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? Born and Raised in Queens.
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? N/A
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Live alone, studio apartment.
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? Not many of you make the trek out to Queens, but if you do, definietly check out Austin St. in Forest Hills. Great place to walk around on a sunny day, lots of different shops, bars and food, all for decent prices for NYC and...best of all...the ubiquitous smell of urine is thankfully not present in this part of town.
Anything else that's on your mind? This is, hopefully, my last year in NYC. The rent is just too damn high. Probably making the move to New Jeruz.
Austin St. eh?I was only in Forest Hills about 2 weeks ago near the Randall's Island highway. That's pretty good to know since I've never really been out there for future reference.

And if you think rent is too damn high, I was speaking to a dude yesterday who said that he pays $600 for a 1BR apartment up in Buffalo. Maybe that's gonna be next big for people who priced out of the city although he told me that racism is higher out there.

I encountered my share of the piss smell for the day; the path to/from the 34th street A/C/E platform. Maybe I should have a mod rename the OT subtitle "Don't mind the piss smell, it's just a regular day in the city." The humidity has been horribly oppressive that I was drenched in sweat walking the Hudson Parkway bike path all the way back to my place.

Got an event of interest to share with you all for next month:

CLBJ6_hVEAE1u78.png

I definitely plan on going to this. I've had so much fun attending NYCC's yearly bar shenanigans. Last year they were practically giving away free drink tickets at one of their events in the end that I got a nice buzz on from drinking kamikazes which are so good.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Where's DoktorEvil when I need him? Duder's MIA and knows a lot about moving. There's tons of For Rent plastered on buildings that I walk by up here in Washington Heights.

That's the one I go to after J's Big Gym abruptly closed last fall. We never heard from the owners again so displaced members either jumped ship to Planet Fitness or a local gym around 231st in The Bronx. The quality of weights and machines doesn't hold a candle to a local gym but c'est la vie. The first week is always the hardest, but then it gets easier after that.

There's a ton of attractive women in that gym that I never saw before. Want to use the Smith Machine? Expect a 20-40 minute because someone is always using it; I've never found it vacant for a long period of time and if it is, it gets taken in less than 20 seconds.
I forgot you were in the heights. I grew up there, 182nd and Amsterdam. The area has changed so much with the influx of so much money.

I used to go to a trainer on 171st and Fort Wash. He ended up moving into another spot, after I left. He did a great job with me. The name of his group is 187 Fitness.

Jhoan

I forgot you were in the heights. I group up there, 182nd and Amsterdam. The area has changed so much with the influx of so much money.

I used to go to a trainer on 171st and Fort Wash. He ended up moving into another spot, after I left. He did a great job with me. The name of his group is 187 Fitness.

Hahaha, yeah I never properly introduced myself being the OP and all. Ydanis Rodriguez has been the work of saints renovating the Plaza of Las Americas. Once the new GWB Bus Terminal is completed, I expect that to be a major turning point for the area. It's rapidly changing; I was in Dyckman scheduling a doctor's appointment and saw that Unforgettable was being filmed in the strip that goes up to La Marina.

I think I've passed by that place dozens upon dozens of times to and from the hospital obliviously. I went to PS 173 nearby and man did that playground change from when I was a kid. I feel like I've seen that 187 Fitness somewhere before possibly in the Manhattan Times (Inwood/Washington Heights' community newspaper for the uninitiated).

I guess I figure now as is a good of a time as ever properly introduce myself:

Occupation
: Freelance writer/illustrator (read: "artist") doing a ton of free of work including a graphic design internship. I also do paid freelance work here and there such work at cons and audience gigs while I find my true calling which ideally combines both my art and writing skills.
Ethnic origin/: Mostly Dominican mixed with some Cuban heritage/decent.
Current part of the city residing in: Northern Manhattan/Washington Heights
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)?
-Born and raised in the city so a native.
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Live in a 3 BR apartment with my mother, her husband that she brought from abroad (not my stepfather), and my 30 year old brother.
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? So many damn good places/events! I'm not going to list them all in one post but definitely the Little Red Light House, The Cloisters as I mentioned earlier, the Society of Illustrators, The Pit, and the annual Ft. Tryon Park Medieval Festival in early October
Anything else that's on your mind?
A few things:
-My lovely shaggy haired mug will appearing a couple of episodes in the next season of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire since I was in the audience and will be doing it next week as well.
-Tourist Spaniard girls are very, very attractive, there I said it.
-Rooting an Android phone and installing Cyanogen Mod 11 is so worth the time spent doing it. I can never go back to using Android OS since it's so damn amazing and useful.
-Lastly, if anyone has a sibling or inclination to pass by Hunter Manhattan High School of Science, I got to be part of a group of art students from Hunter College who donated paintings that are hanging in the halls.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I went to this speakeasy-ish place about a month back - The Ship, it was really cool. The owner and head bartender was super fucking nice. Bought back like 3 rounds (out of 5!). Dominican dude named Cervantes.

Jhoan

Is it just me or has TWC Internet been god awful lately? Pages on the laptop have been super S L O W. Meanwhile, my phone loads pages buttery smooth on the same connection.

Also, happy Friday folks! Was at a Korean BBQ out in Northern Boulevard last Sunday and it was so good. Haven't held a GAF meet up in one for ages. Forgot the name of the place at the moment but I'll look it up and post it eventually. Train service is going to affected this weekend so plan accordingly.

Oxn

Is it just me or has TWC Internet been god awful lately? Pages on the laptop have been super S L O W. Meanwhile, my phone loads pages buttery smooth on the same connection.

Also, happy Friday folks! Was at a Korean BBQ out in Northern Boulevard last Sunday and it was so good. Haven't held a GAF meet up in one for ages. Forgot the name of the place at the moment but I'll look it up and post it eventually. Train service is going to affected this weekend so plan accordingly.

What train services

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've used TWC for years and years and switching to FiOS is the best thing that's happened to me internet wise.

But then my family decided to go back to TWC and what do you know? 30 minutes of downtime the other night out of nowhere.

I don't think the MTA is ever going to get the full funding that it needs to clear its debt but hey there's progress albeit at a snail's pace. As long we don't another fare hike within these next few years, we'll be fine. I suppose it's a small price to pay for having a 24 hour subway system.

I've ran into several disgruntle MTA workers. They told me the MTA is faking their finances. They hiding money and not giving workers a raise. Their union leader is a joke and controlled by the MTA.

Can a visit to NYC be done for any less than 100 USD per day? It's because I'm thinking of staying perhaps for 1-2 months and so the price will gastronomical if it goes up. I hope to get some accommodation with a friend, but if not, I really need to find an affordable hostel. NYC basically tops the trip lists as most expensive city in the world, still

It's of course the hostels who seem the most expensive. I know there is couchsurfing but besides that, is there any alternatives?

With so many visitors to NYC you would think capsule hotels would be a thing by know. Bet you could stuff an outragous amount of pods into one building. >.<

Kisaya

So I'm living in Chicago now and my best friend who helped me move flew back to NYC, and she texted me going "I'm upset being back, the air and the people are different," and I couldn't help but agree except be jealous T_T

So I'm living in Chicago now and my best friend who helped me move flew back to NYC, and she texted me going "I'm upset being back, the air and the people are different," and I couldn't help but agree except be jealous T_T

You're staying in Chicago indefinitely?

I've ran into several disgruntle MTA workers. They told me the MTA is faking their finances. They hiding money and not giving workers a raise. Their union leader is a joke and controlled by the MTA.

Ever notice that buses park for like an hour, then decide to pick up their passengers? Great union.

And to think, there's discussions of ANOTHER price hike...

3.00 fare for increasingly shittier service? Yay...

Can a visit to NYC be done for any less than 100 USD per day? It's because I'm thinking of staying perhaps for 1-2 months and so the price will gastronomical if it goes up. I hope to get some accommodation with a friend, but if not, I really need to find an affordable hostel. NYC basically tops the trip lists as most expensive city in the world, still

It's of course the hostels who seem the most expensive. I know there is couchsurfing but besides that, is there any alternatives?

With so many visitors to NYC you would think capsule hotels would be a thing by know. Bet you could stuff an outragous amount of pods into one building. >.<

Have you tried airbnb? There is also the option of being a border, there are some ads out there. Most of them are with Hispanic families. I actually did the latter for a good while.

Ever notice that buses park for like an hour, then decide to pick up their passengers? Great union.

Please tell me this is a joke.... I thought they got a whole lot of money from charging for new Metro cards.

Jhoan

What train services

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...anges-for-12-lines-include-tunnel-closure-mta

I've used TWC for years and years and switching to FiOS is the best thing that's happened to me internet wise.

But then my family decided to go back to TWC and what do you know? 30 minutes of downtime the other night out of nowhere.
Funny because I switched from Verizon to Time Warner after being frustrated with their services and being sans internet without a full month a half and not given an explanation as to why. I fixed the issue but it sucks that we're only given two choices in most cities. That duopoly is strong so sadly I don't think we'll get a government provided municipal internet service.
Where's Perembulnick when I need him? He's the resident GAF member/MTA worker. I foresee another worker strike in the future if that's the case. I'm sure the MTA must have some kind of money they suddenly "found" that they're not using.

With so many visitors to NYC you would think capsule hotels would be a thing by know. Bet you could stuff an outrageous amount of pods into one building. >.<
$100 a day?! That's if and only if you're not going out/eating out to save money and your friend doesn't make you chip in for staying with her. I read your story in the Dating-Age thread so good luck man.

I dunno what the situation is with hostels since that something one never thinks about having lived in the city for so long. And no, capsule hotels wouldn't exist in this city because that sounds like a Pandora's box full of building violations waiting to happen. Then again, there have been cases of slum lords reported popping up left and right where 30-40 people live in one room.

AirBnB might be another option but if you can negotiate for something around your budget. I can't really think of any other option other than looking into a program where you stay in someone's place in exchange for labor.
That's what all New Yorkers say when they're coming back home. From what I heard on the last episode of the Giant Beastcast, Chicago's subway system is much more segregated than NYC's. Good luck out there, I hope everything works out for you and your family comes around to accepting you someday.

Have you tried airbnb? There is also the option of being a border, there are some ads out there. Most of them are with Hispanic families. I actually did the latter for a good while.

Please tell me this is a joke.... I thought they got a whole lot of money from charging for new Metro cards.

http://m.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/22/mta-metrocard-fare-hike_n_6525462.html

They're still running a fiscal deficit. They need Albany money, supposedly.

But think about it. These last 2 fare hikes came rather quickly. It's inevitable that the next hike will be another .25 cents.

Ever since the increase in April, I've been late to work almost everyday to work for a good month or so. I stood by the bus station like an asshole for 30 minutes or more. Normally I would arrive 15 minutes early, so it's not like I don't plan ahead for problems.

Ever since the increase in April, I've been late to work almost everyday to work for a good month or so. I stood by the bus station like an asshole for 30 minutes or more. Normally I would arrive 15 minutes early, so it's not like I don't plan ahead for problems.

Some stops removed the schedule as well. Guess drivers don't adhere to it anymore.

MTA has the City by the Balls. Another bus strike would cause problems.

Jhoan

whts this " NeoGaf Noteboook" i'm reading about...

people write in it and pass it on?
Yup, I'm currently in possession of it. Think of it like the Sisterhood of Traveling Pants where someone wears the pants, patches something onto it, before moving it along barring procrastination/life doesn't get in the way. There's a ton of sincere entries in it as we some cool art work. So far I've written something but I plan to draw something in it as well.

I'm posting from the bus stop standing there like a moron again waiting for the fucking bus. After a long day, I just want to go home and play Vindictus. But no, no bus in sight for miles.

MC Safety

I know it's the Post, but the Post is reporting/commenting on a decline in the overall quality of life in Manhattan.

Given its hated of Mayor Di Blasio, I can see where the Post might overstate the case. But for the people who live there, what have you noted?

I last worked in the city in November and thought things were pleasant. I mean, pleasant for New York City.

I'm posting from the bus stop standing there like a moron again waiting for the fucking bus. After a long day, I just want to go home and play Vindictus. But no, no bus in sight for miles.

You have my empathy. It's ridiculous how they are charging more for less service. I swear trying to catch the D train uptown is a freakin nightmare.

jerry113

Banned
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a good way to get from Grand Central Terminal to JFK airport without having to use a taxi. There doesn't seem to be a subway line directly going between the two. I'm new to the city - does anyone have any good advice?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
AirPorter? Never used it myself.

Another option:

From Grand Central:
6 train uptown to 51st St
Walk underground to get to 53rd and Lex
E train to Jamaica Center
AirTrain to JFK

~1 hour and two connections.

Dude Guy

Hey guys, I'm trying to find a good way to get from Grand Central Terminal to JFK airport without having to use a taxi. There doesn't seem to be a subway line directly going between the two. I'm new to the city - does anyone have any good advice?

AirPorter? Never used it myself.

Another option:

From Grand Central:
6 train uptown to 51st St
Walk underground to get to 53rd and Lex
E train to Jamaica Center
AirTrain to JFK

~1 hour and two connections.

Alternatively, take the 4/5 train downtown to Fulton St, and take the A train to JFK

How old are you? 32
What is your occupation? Freelance game artist, but right now I'm working for a non-profit that focuses on empowering young people to change their environment.
What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin? Irish/Croatian
What part of the city do you reside in? Lower Harlem
How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)? a little over three years
If you moved to the city, where are you originally from? I've lived in too many places. Last place I lived in was Colorado.
What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other? Live with my wife
Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should? That big church across from Columbia has a nice garden area tucked away in the back. They also have female peacocks. I really like Flushing Queens, and people need to check out the Hindu Temple there with their cantina in the basement. I really love the northern part of Central Park, where tourists usually don't come up to. Astoria is a great place to walk around, especially if you want a taste of the Balkans. Check out the Bosnian &#263;evap place there, it is pretty damn good.
Anything else that's on your mind? I seriously don't know where I'm going to live after NYC. I've lived all over the place, but nothing excites me as much as this city. Maybe when I get older and feel like I don't need as much stimulus?

I remember that there is a airport bus service that is close to GCT. I think it was 12-20 to JFK. Haven't seen them in a while though. Used to see them everyday on my way to work.

Ugh. Looking for a new room sucks.

I've seen a bunch of places but all of them have "found someone else" Its frustrating... I only have 21 days... I know its a lot of time but the search takes so much out of you.

MikeRahl

I just spent most of a week in New York. Stayed by Columbus Circle and the hotel I was in was probably the size of my bedroom and apparently goes for $300 a night. If it was on my dime there was no way that was worth it.

entremet

Capsule hotels would be against zoning laws here.

Capsule hotels would be against zoning laws here.

I think we had a thread ages ago that previously showed someone attepting to turn a NYC apartment into a hostel, both simultaneously breaking fire safety codes and occupancy codes.

Wonder what happened to that place?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yotel is a capsule hotel.

One of my former work mates quit and is running a hostel here in NYC. After a quick search, the name of his place is Upper Central NYC Hostel. When he was explaining it to me before leaving my company he was telling me he wanted to set the bar high for NYC hostels as he had done a fair bit of travel himself. Never seen the place tbh but knowing him I would stay there if I had to.

beat

In my experience, hostels are considerably cheaper than any of the capsule/pod hotels, but any hostel will impose 2-3 week maximum stay limits. But yeah, NYC hostels are much more expensive than those in other American cities.

For one-two months, I'd probably consider looking on Craigslist for sublets?

Ugh. Looking for a new room sucks.

I've seen a bunch of places but all of them have "found someone else" Its frustrating... I only have 21 days... I know its a lot of time but the search takes so much out of you.

any advice on this, the OMG sexism thread reminded me of it.

just keep trucking?

any advice on this, the OMG sexism thread reminded me of it.

just keep trucking?

Go outside of Manhattan? I mean, it's not hard to accommodate a single, non-smoking male with a decent income in the outer boroughs where rent doesn't climb dumb high.

Just don't expect a huge place.

Go outside of Manhattan? I mean, it's not hard to accommodate a single, non-smoking male with a decent income in the outer boroughs where rent doesn't climb dumb high.

Just don't expect a huge place.

All the places I looked have been in brooklyn (I'm subletting in sunset park now). I've seen a few places in Williamsburg, Park Slope, Crown Heights, here in Sunset and they all find someone else... Its just intimidating going to see a one room and know there's 5-6 other people seeing it as well.

One even said I didn't get it because 'someone put in a better offer' wtf I didn't know this was a bidding war!

And I don't expect a big place at all.

All the places I looked have been in brooklyn (I'm subletting in sunset park now). I've seen a few places in Williamsburg, Park Slope, Crown Heights, here in Sunset and they all find someone else... Its just intimidating going to see a one room and know there's 5-6 other people seeing it as well.

One even said I didn't get it because 'someone put in a better offer' wtf I didn't know this was a bidding war!

And I don't expect a big place at all.

Try queens or Staten Island. You'll get more for your money, even if the commute increases. Do you really need to live in Brooklyn?

Try queens or Staten Island. You'll get more for your money, even if the commute increases. Do you really need to live in Brooklyn?

Eh, staten island is out. I can't stand that commute. But I still think I'm gonna be facing lots of people responding to ads if I look at queens. I'm young enough to eat the brooklyn rents, its just the competition that kills me. I just don't know how to stand out.

Kisaya

Eh, staten island is out. I can't stand that commute. But I still think I'm gonna be facing lots of people responding to ads if I look at queens. I'm young enough to eat the brooklyn rents, its just the competition that kills me. I just don't know how to stand out.

Born and raised in Brooklyn and I will rep it till the day I die, but I have to stress moving to Queens. It's honestly where I would have ended up moving to if I didn't leave NYC. It's a real great borough and one of the only places that feels like the real New York City. I never moved out of Brooklyn but my last year there I was getting real sick of my surroundings and interacting with people who didn't live there five years ago.

You can try Bushwick. Rule of thumb is to go where the artists go. Artists flock to low rent areas and Bushwick is one of those up and coming areas.

Otherwise, if you plan to compete head on and try to live in a trendy area with a lot of retail and foot traffic, you'll be priced out fairly quickly.

QUeens is packed (and overpriced)near astoria. Stay away unless you can get a roommate situation or a good deal.

Try closer to Flushing or by Queens Center mall. YOu'll be within at least 1 train that takes you to manhattan. Generally, the further you are away from retail centers, the cheaper the rent is, so look for pockets of residential homes and apartment complexes.

The Bronx is also an option. There are some really nice neighborhoods around where the highways run, but bus/train service is spotty and you'll wish you had a car.

jasonng

Born and raised in Brooklyn and I will rep it till the day I die, but I have to stress moving to Queens. It's honestly where I would have ended up moving to if I didn't leave NYC. It's a real great borough and one of the only places that feels like the real New York City. I never moved out of Brooklyn but my last year there I was getting real sick of my surroundings and interacting with people who didn't live there five years ago.

2398126-3770826751-mc63t.gif

I recently moved to Ridgewood which is technically Queens but I'm on the border of Bushwick. I really like my new neighborhood. It's quiet, easy to get into the city, and has its own identity (the authentic mexican food around here is pretty fucking good).

I'd stay away from Flushing if you see yourself regularly in the city. The 7 train is not at all reliable.

Top Bottom