• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Man, this morning's rain made my commute a nightmare. I was soaked from head to toe when I got into the office. Ugh.

Should've worn an executive.

c548771b20758dc100f5fde61e89e6e2.jpg

Don't be this guy:

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Had to buy an Umbrella from Duane Reade, it's fucking tiny.

I also got angry every time I found myself buying a crappy umbrella from them out of necessity. So now I have backup umbrellas everywhere. One in my messenger bag, two at home, two at work...when I was taking classes I kept one in a corner no one could find it.

Never again.

Invest in some Tretorns.

rQN5k0z.jpg

Hah, I'm wearing a pair right now.

Penguin

Ha

There's the joke about getting free umbrellas by going to a library and saying you left your black umbrella behind

I have so many goddamn umbrellas in my apartment because I keep on forgetting to bring one back to the office. I have only myself to blame.

Penguin

I have so many goddamn umbrellas in my apartment because I keep on forgetting to bring one back to the office. I have only myself to blame.

We have swag umbrellas... so honestly.. I just make a bad habit of borrowing one from the office every time I forget

NimbusD

Invest in some Tretorns.

rQN5k0z.jpg

Damn, anyone know of a similar brand? I can't find larger sizes in stock of those anywhere. Those look awesome.

Oh fuck no, there goes my neighborhood. You live near Myrtle ave?

I miss that area :( Moved to astoria earlier this year after loving in Ridgewood/Bushwick for about 6 years (and have family a little farther up in Maspeth) of course now that I leave, the area is blowing up. Or maybe it was while I was there too, but you notice it more when you don't live there I guess.

Yeah, I bought socks and a change of shirt on my way into the office, but oddly enough was pretty dry by the time I got in... but did change the socks

I hate wet feet

You know what I do. I hide in the bathroom and use the hand dryer to dry my socks and shoes. We have a very powerful dryer and it works like a charm.

I miss that area :( Moved to astoria earlier this year after loving in Ridgewood/Bushwick for about 6 years (and have family a little farther up in Maspeth) of course now that I leave, the area is blowing up. Or maybe it was while I was there too, but you notice it more when you don't live there I guess.

Damn, didn't know so many Gaffers live so close. I wonder how many more Ridgewoodians are here.

You can try Bushwick. Rule of thumb is to go where the artists go. Artists flock to low rent areas and Bushwick is one of those up and coming areas.

Otherwise, if you plan to compete head on and try to live in a trendy area with a lot of retail and foot traffic, you'll be priced out fairly quickly.

QUeens is packed (and overpriced)near astoria. Stay away unless you can get a roommate situation or a good deal.

Try closer to Flushing or by Queens Center mall. YOu'll be within at least 1 train that takes you to manhattan. Generally, the further you are away from retail centers, the cheaper the rent is, so look for pockets of residential homes and apartment complexes.

The Bronx is also an option. There are some really nice neighborhoods around where the highways run, but bus/train service is spotty and you'll wish you had a car.
I may (still need to sign) have found a room in a brooklyn apartment.

I wanna try to stay in brooklyn for a few years but probably will eventually move to queens as I get older and need more space/have a family. I'm young so I can eat the brookyln rent. I probably will get pushed further east probably will end up in bushwick in a year or two I'm also looking at Washington Heights but I'm not really a Manhattan guy, I do like upper manhattan but I just hate how far it is from Brooklyn and queens

The place I'm looking at is month to month so if something good pops up I can leave or I can time myself up with a friend lease which I think is a pretty good deal.

I'm somewhat new to the city so I'm still trying to figure it out and want to live a bit in the trendier areas. As I become a local I'll probably be a lot more price aware

I wanna try to stay in brooklyn for a few years but probably will eventually move to queens as I get older and need more space/have a family. I'm young so I can eat the brookyln rent. I probably will get pushed further east probably will end up in bushwick in a year or two I'm also looking at Washington Heights but I'm not really a Manhattan guy, I do like upper manhattan but I just hate how far it is from Brooklyn and queens

The place I'm looking at is month to month so if something good pops up I can leave or I can time myself up with a friend lease which I think is a pretty good deal.

I'm somewhat new to the city so I'm still trying to figure it out and want to live a bit in the trendier areas. As I become a local I'll probably be a lot more price aware

I'd call you a fool for chasing trendy, but its your money.

Just don't give up eating for rent.

Kilrathi

How old are you?
27 (soon to be 28)

What is your occupation?
VR Developer

What is your ethnicity/ethnic origin?
part italian

What part of the city do you reside in?
Long Island

How long have you lived in the city (native, moved here, etc.)?
Lived on Long island most of my life

If you moved to the city, where are you originally from?
NA

What is your living situation like e.g. roommates, family, alone, or with your significant other?
Alone

Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should?
TheSheepsMeow and playcraft NYC demo nights to see the local indie games in the works.

Anything else that's on your mind?
If i'm not working on some VR prototype/game/project, I am at the stables riding/taking care of my horse.

Penguin

So here's a semi-follow up to the intro, which area do folks work in?

Can you name a spot/place/event in the city that people haven’t checked out but should?
TheSheepsMeow and playcraft NYC demo nights to see the local indie games in the works.
Ahh you attend those as well?

Mostly do PlayCrafting since I know Dan and he is good people

Kilrathi

So here's a semi-follow up to the intro, which area do folks work in?

Ahh you attend those as well?

Mostly do PlayCrafting since I know Dan and he is good people
Yea the events have been to have been great ,wish I could make more them. They did help me land my first job in vr. So they been great help to kick my career off the ground.

I should have built a small form factor pc much earlier lugging a full size tower in nyc is not fun.

Jhoan

Hey! What you got against Washington Heights? Train access is pretty damn convenient since I'm about 7 minute walk away from the A train.

I have to admit though, getting to Brooklyn or Queens takes me an eternity which is why I rarely venture out there. I love Queens' cheap ass stuff including cheap hookah bars and cheaper groceries but the distance kills me. If I ever go out with a girl who lives in Queens, I'm going to want her to show me around the area.

I'm not that far from Fresh Pond. I'm on Bleecker and Seneca ave. Sorry to ruin your neighborhood, I love it here!
You and Mahonay must be neighbors or something I see a bunch of you lot moving out there or to Astoria. It's gonna turn into GAF city out there.
Yea the events have been to have been great ,wish I could make more them. They did help me land my first job in vr. So they been great help to kick my career off the ground.

I should have built a small form factor pc much earlier lugging a full size tower in nyc is not fun.
You and jetpacksaysyes should get together some time since he developed a few indie games that appeared on the Wii eShop including one about a sentient toaster samurai. Jetpacksasysyes is a pretty damn good guy having exchanged several PMs with him in the past. I remember trying out the Oculus headset for the first time last year at Games For Change and it blew my mind.

I'm happy to see this thread turning into a networking thread of sorts. I have the biggest grin painted on my face right this moment. Big city, small world. Me gusta. :D

Beautiful Wednesday we've been having today. Hope you guys are all enjoying it. Again, I'm going to remind folks about the Heroes event that's happening at Latitude next Wednesday from 7PM-9PM. I will be there with some friends so if any GAF members can make it, then go. Consider it the impromptu GAF meet up for the month. +

Kilrathi

I remember trying out the Oculus headset for the first time last year at Games For Change and it blew my mind.

As soon I got try one of the early development kits of the rift in eve vr. I was 100% onboard vr as a medium for the home user. If you were at indiecade east, the playcraft expo, or the nyc arcade event, you might have seen a 2.5d plaformer for vr

Jhoan

As soon I got try one of the early development kits of the rift in eve vr. I was 100% onboard vr as a medium for the home user. If you were at indiecade east, the playcraft expo, or the nyc arcade event, you might have seen a 2.5d plaformer for vr

I was volunteering at IndieCade East this year so it's funny that you mentioned that. I also helped set up. You might have seen Alex Navarro walking around and hanging out. Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes was pretty crazy.

I think your game might have been by the smaller Oculus games section which I had circumnavigated hundreds of times patrolling the curated games showcase. I didn't get a chance to try out any of those games sadly.

Joeku

What's up, New York GAF? I'm Joey, from Toronto. I'm coming down to Manhattan at the end of the month cause my team is in the top 24 of this year's 24-hour Film Race and I'll have a day or so on either side of the awards to screw around.

So, yeah, I'm gonna ask what I should see while I'm there, but I don't like touristy stuff. I really just want to visit an arcade and grab some good (read: unhealthy yummy crap) food and get a beer during the afternoon. Y'know, simple shit. Can I assume some of this will be pretty much walking distance from wherever I am (sans arcade)? Also do good arcades exist on Manhattan?

Thanks, y'all.

I'm not that far from Fresh Pond. I'm on Bleecker and Seneca ave. Sorry to ruin your neighborhood, I love it here!

Holy shit small world.
Parents own an apt nearby where you are and we stop by occasionally to maintain the place. Wonder if I've seen you before lol.

Guessing you're near the pork store/estrella right?

Jhoan

The Barcade is probably the best for adults. You can drink and play video games.

This. There's a couple of Barcade locations in the OP. Pick one and enjoy. I'll add 2 Bit's Retro Arcade on the Lower East Side and Fat Cat. Fat Cat is more of a general game place with pool and board games. The Barcade in Chelsea and St. Marks both serve food.

I'd call you a fool for chasing trendy, but its your money.

Just don't give up eating for rent.

I'm nowhere near that. Its more like a few less video games/ movies/ nights at the bar...

Hey! What you got against Washington Heights? Train access is pretty damn convenient since I'm about 7 minute walk away from the A train.

I have to admit though, getting to Brooklyn or Queens takes me an eternity which is why I rarely venture out there. I love Queens' cheap ass stuff including cheap hookah bars and cheaper groceries but the distance kills me. If I ever go out with a girl who lives in Queens, I'm going to want her to show me around the area.

I dig washington heights but it and harlem are the only areas of manhattan I think I could live in, maybe lower east side too.

jasonng

Where did you live originally? Myrtle's a great shopping area, and so if Fresh Pond.

Flushing. I have yet to shop the strip of stores at Fresh Pond but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

You and Mahonay must be neighbors or something I see a bunch of you lot moving out there or to Astoria. It's gonna turn into GAF city out there.

Honestly with the price range I had for rent, Astoria and Ridgewood were the only two places that had great apartments. There are other places in Queens, I considered Elmhurst at one point, but for the most part I didn't like what I saw out there.

Holy shit small world.
Parents own an apt nearby where you are and we stop by occasionally to maintain the place. Wonder if I've seen you before lol.

Guessing you're near the pork store/estrella right?
I've only been here for two weeks but I have yet to see that pork store open. My friends and I like to hypothesize that it's a front for some underground operation.

Zavist

Is there any descent place with good assortment of floor lamps and similar? I looked online, ikea, and couple of midtown stores, but everything is just boring. I am still new to the city and have no idea where to look.

meow

What's the best way to find a place to live if I'm not in the city and would have to specifically travel in to look at places? Other than using a broker, which I guess I'll do if necessary. Otherwise, I've just been using craigslist and streeteasy to kind of gauge what kinds of apartments are available, for how much, and where. If anyone has any tips, I'd be very grateful!

What's the best way to find a place to live if I'm not in the city and would have to specifically travel in to look at places? Other than using a broker, which I guess I'll do if necessary. Otherwise, I've just been using craigslist and streeteasy to kind of gauge what kinds of apartments are available, for how much, and where. If anyone has any tips, I'd be very grateful!

There are 4 other boroughs plus Long Island. Pick one you like.

Your post is vague is fuck. What are you looking for?

Jhoan

Is there any descent place with good assortment of floor lamps and similar? I looked online, ikea, and couple of midtown stores, but everything is just boring. I am still new to the city and have no idea where to look.
That's not something I think about personally but I think you should try local furniture places e.g. out in Brooklyn or go to flea markets for more flavored lamps.
Yeah, I'm going to echo DoktorEvil and say I'm not sure what it is that you're asking. Are saying that you want to go room/apartment hunting but want to look at the place before fully committing to moving to NY? I'll also add that you can live in the Yonkers/Westchester area and you would be fine.

On another note, has anyone been harassed on the streets lately? There was a frustrated dude on a bike trying to start something with me while I was in front of the Best Buy in Soho. He asked me a question but I didn't hear it because I was on my phone, then suddenly gave me attitude because he said I had a stupid expression on my face and called me a dick. I called him a dick back and he demanded an apology but I refused and threatened to fight me if I didn't then proceeded to taunt me. I ended up walking away since I'm not a guy who looks for problems while he proceeded to call someone. That soured my night a little bit but I was the bigger champ there.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
On another note, has anyone been harassed on the streets lately? There was a frustrated dude on a bike trying to start something with me while I was in front of the Best Buy in Soho. He asked me a question but I didn't hear it because I was on my phone, then suddenly gave me attitude because he said I had a stupid expression on my face and called me a dick. I called him a dick back and he demanded an apology but I refused and threatened to fight me if I didn't then proceeded to taunt me. I ended up walking away since I'm not a guy who looks for problems while he proceeded to call someone. That soured my night a little bit but I was the bigger champ there.

Sorry but that was hilarious.

The warmer weather brings the crazies out. I have a run in every morning with a guy that sits right on my subway stop steps... at 5:30 AM! Dude just get a job!

Penguin

The warmer weather brings the crazies out. I have a run in every morning with a guy that sits right on my subway stop steps... at 5:30 AM! Dude just get a job!

Speaking of, there's a woman who hangs out outside of my train station asking for money every morning

Which thought was w/e... but then realized she's there all time of the day

I get home at 1.. she's there.. I get home at 1am... she's there... like when does she sleep and where... because she has on a diff outfit every day

Jhoan

I can see how it was unintentionally funny since it sounds like something straight out of a sitcom. I forgot to mention that he denied calling me a dick after I called him out on it.

And this in turn made me chuckle. I can picture you awkwardly trying not to crush him like a roach with your massively long legs and construction boots.

meow

There are 4 other boroughs plus Long Island. Pick one you like.

Your post is vague is fuck. What are you looking for?

Yeah, I'm going to echo DoktorEvil and say I'm not sure what it is that you're asking. Are saying that you want to go room/apartment hunting but want to look at the place before fully committing to moving to NY? I'll also add that you can live in the Yonkers/Westchester area and you would be fine.

Sorry, I meant, what's the best way to go about looking if I can't easily get into the city to look at the places in person? I can get to the area, but it would have to be a specific trip out and I guess I'd cram in as much as possible. Just craigslist or is there a better way to check out what's available?

Sorry, I meant, what's the best way to go about looking if I can't easily get into the city to look at the places in person? I can get to the area, but it would have to be a specific trip out and I guess I'd cram in as much as possible. Just craigslist or is there a better way to check out what's available?

Well how far are you away from NYC?

Generally, people have a job lined up before moving to NYC. Moving here without a savings cushion or a job is a bad move, but provided you have friends, a support system, or an education/work experience, it's not entirely fruitless.

If you have friends here, you can couch surf for a week or 2 and check out the city on your leisurely time.

Flushing. I have yet to shop the strip of stores at Fresh Pond but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

Oh yeah, Flushing is chaos compared to Ridgewood.

Sounds like the guy was drunk.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
My last project was in Queens, College Point... The area was a dump but if you have a car it is probably manageable. I liked Whitestone, Bayside, and the adjoining areas that way.

Jhoan

All right guys, I need some ideas on something cheap to do today after 7 around the Hell's Kitchen area. Meeting up with a girl a 6:30PM but I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do that we'll be improvising. She wants to get out of the heat. Any suggestions? Starbucks is definitely an option until the sun goes down.

All right guys, I need some ideas on something cheap to do today after 7 around the Hell's Kitchen area. Meeting up with a girl a 6:30PM but I have absolutely no idea what we're going to do that we'll be improvising. She wants to get out of the heat. Any suggestions? Starbucks is definitely an option until the sun goes down.

Froyo?

Not a bad idea even if I've never had that stuff before since typically I ignore it. Where at? Pinkberry or something along those lines? I'm trying to avoid going to a bar since that would be a last resort thing.

45 East 45th. Roosevelt Hotel.

Red Mango. It's decent.

There's also a Bar nearby that hotel, just in case.

Edit: Red Mango closes at 4 today. There nothing by in that area except bars/pubs/grills.

I have a layover at LaGuardia tomorrow for 5 hours due to my flight to norfolk today getting cancelled because of the FAA tower in dc going out. Any nearby pizza joints or cool places to see?

Jhoan

45 East 45th. Roosevelt Hotel.

Red Mango. It's decent.

There's also a Bar nearby that hotel, just in case.

Edit: Red Mango closes at 4 today. There nothing by in that area except bars/pubs/grills.

Date got canned. Thanks for the suggestions any way. I'll keep that in mind for a future date.

Ended up crossing the High Bridge with my brothers and taking a picture on one of the Just Sit sculptures. The view of the FDR drive from there was amazing and is highly recommended for anyone who lives in The Heights or wants an excuse to come up.

We were initially planning on going to the pool but apparently when we got there people had been exiting out because a kid took a dump in the 4 ft pool. The pool was shut down for the rest of the day as a result. Gotta love public pools. This weekend is perfect for a beach day so tomorrow, I'm looking to hit up a beach. I'm looking at you, Coney Island.

@mugurumakensei Dunno the area so I can't say but I found this place that's nearby: http://www.yelp.com/biz/dinos-pizza-and-pasta-woodside

And my brother said there's a pizzeria in the airport but it's a corporate chain so I dunno if you'll like it.

not a fan of corporate chain restaurants. even in Dallas, local pizza chain > corporate chain. I am open to local pizza chains in Manhattan as well. I've got time to spare.

Top Bottom