• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2017 (Oct 09 - Oct 15)

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
By the pre-order hype, I was expecting a bigger delta between PS4 and NSW's Lost Sphere. Maybe the west can make up from such low sales? How is the game?

Vinnk

An overpriced B-tier RPG game no one seemed to want that was barely advertised did poorly. No surprises here.

Only interesting thing is that 44% of the sales were on Switch.

I guess there is the starving and all that..

17./17. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} (¥6.800) - 3.815 / 44.239 (-12%)

Always here, more 1 month.

Alrus

Yeah Lost Sphear bombed hard, guess that's what happen when you release a wholly unexciting game with recycled assets for a relatively high price.

L~A

04./01. [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions <RPG> (Nintendo) {2017.10.05} (¥4.980) - 12.215 / 38.003 (-53%)

Was gonna say "better than expected for 2nd week"... then remembered Monday was a public holiday, so that definitely helped.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
Because the platform matches that kind of project perfectly, and games are selling like hot cakes on the Switch

I mean, it sold 1500 more copies on PS4, but the PS4 install base is 5.4 million right now. The Switch install base is 1.8 million right now. So a much greater percentage of Switch owners bought Lost Sphear compared to PS4 owners.

Eolz

This week looks like last week..
Won't miss RPG Factory's games tbh, but the platform ratio is interesting.

These numbers are a disaster for what Winning Eleven once was, its sales look like a bad joke.

First week, yes, it was a disaster (if we compare with the old eleven, not those of recent years) but it has legs, look the release date (2017.09.14), always here, not bad.

With the figures of the first week, I didn't think it would reach 100,000 as fast (without the ps3 version).

noshten

I'm really wondering how many Switches will be available for SMO launch week.
If the weekly baseline is 80K and they are saving half for SMO launch we'd be looking at 160K in bundles launch week. If that's the case it would be very close to 3DS launch aligned and would surpass 2 million with the launch.

I predict that we'd see something like this by the time SMO is launched:
Splatoon 2 >1375K
MK8D > 825K
Zelda BotW > 645K
SMO > 450K

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch leg-o-meter:

Media Create:

03./00. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 24.045 / NEW
16./03. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 3.782 / 27.827 (-84%)
21./16. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 3,839* / 31,666*
19./21. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 4.419 / 36.085 (+15)
17./19. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 4.339 / 40.424 (-2%)
17./17. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch (Bandai Namco Games) {2017.09.07} - 3.815 / 44.239 (-12%)

I appreciate the hell out of Tokyo RPG Factory's mission, but the execution turned out to be rather unthrilling. Silicon is much better at this whole 90s Squaresoft thing.

Vinnk

Because the platform matches that kind of project perfectly

Yeah after Zelda BotW and Splatoon 2, we Switch owners are dying to get our Sphear on.

Or if you are implying "Switch owners like paying high prices for garbage looking games"

...well you might have a point.

::goes back to playing Super Bomberman R::

Laplasakos

I mean, it sold 1500 more copies on PS4, but the PS4 install base is 5.4 million right now. The Switch install base is 1.8 million right now. So a much greater percentage of Switch owners bought Lost Sphear compared to PS4 owners.

Does this means that if Switch had the userbase of PS4, Lost Sphear would sell better? Because for a system that has almost a 2m userbase, 4-5k seems bad no matter how you see it. The game totally bombed. Saying that it sold 1500 copies more on PS4 like it matters sounds like a joke.

Surfside

Banned
for comparison, Tokyo RPG Factory's (Lost Sphear) last game's debut:

Damn, i expect we will see lower sales for this, in other markets as well. Just doesn't seem too different
from Setsuna on first glance.

I'm still anticipating it though and hope it's a considerable step up from their first game.

Because the platform matches that kind of project perfectly, and games are selling like hot cakes on the Switch

Low budget mediocre games match the Switch perfectly? I dunno. I find that these games have an established base on PS ecosystems and it will take multiple high quality games to shift it.

Is there any truth of FEs character choice having an effect on its sales? I thought it was going to do much better overall. I can’t really think of a good reason as to why it’s done so poorly.

19./00. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2014.12.25} (¥8.208) - 14.113 / NEW
01./00. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of War <RPG> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.10.12} (¥7.800) - 20.144 / NEW

Been a while since we saw anything increase its sales on PS4 compared to previous game.

brutaka3

Neo Member
Anyone knows when PS3 and Wii U will stop being tracked? Both are already discontinued IIRC.

Edit: Well, certainly PS4 will at least live for another couple of years :p

19./00. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor <ADV> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2014.12.25} (¥8.208) - 14.113 / NEW
01./00. [PS4] Middle-earth: Shadow of War <RPG> (Warner Entertainment Japan) {2017.10.12} (¥7.800) - 20.144 / NEW

Been a while since we saw anything increase its sales on PS4 compared to previous game.

I bet they never predicted being number 1 in Japan.

Anyone knows when PS4 and Wii U will stop being tracked? Both are already discontinued IIRC.

I don't know but I think it happens at the end of the year sometimes, so maybe they're gone in January.
Assuming you mean PS3 not PS4 :p

noshten

Yeah after Zelda BotW and Splatoon 2, we Switch owners are dying to get our Sphear on.

Or if you are implying "Switch owners like paying high prices for garbage looking games"

...well you might have a point.

::goes back to playing Super Bomberman R::

Overcooked is ranked 4th on the Switch eShop Chart came out the same day as Lost Sphere, Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time is 12th on the Chart. Lost Sphere isn't even charting. Overcooked and LiaD are budget titles that are heavily co-op multiplayer games that make use of one of the main advantages the Switch has. Maybe Japanese devs should make something like Bomberman R and utilize the capabilities of the Switch to provide multiplayer on the go...

L~A

16./18. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5) {2017.08.10} (¥4.800) - 3.939 / 180.898 (-5%)

Public holiday on Monday did help with 'em legs, I see. Already said that before, but definitely looking forward to the holiday sales.

I appreciate the hell out of Tokyo RPG Factory's mission, but the execution turned out to be rather unthrilling. Silicon is much better at this whole 90s Squaresoft thing.
I wonder why they made a “Bravely Default studio but not really” when they were already working with the BD studio.

I guess SE took the wrong message from BD’s high sales.

Is there any truth of FEs character choice having an effect on its sales? I thought it was going to do much better overall. I can’t really think of a good reason as to why it’s done so poorly.

Probably not, especially talking about old characters, Tharja probably has a bigger impact on sales than them.

Musou oversaturation and Switch not having a mainline FE yet are probably the reasons. It's still doing as expected I guess, KT was happy about the sales few days ago and this will do better in the west than most Warriors titles.

Top Bottom