• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood and Wine has to be one of the greatest expansions ever made

DorkyMohr

Banned
And who can forget Geralt's lower back tattoo bearing an uncanny resemblance to a one mr miyamoto with a word bubble reading: "arigatou gozaimasu?"

Tookay

Count me among those that thought HoS was much better.

B&W obviously benefited from a new region to explore, but the story sort of meanders and has weird pacing and mostly unlikable characters - plus, something about its mission design highlighted TW3's gameplay flaws.

HoS was narratively much tighter and seemed to embrace the mechanics that worked.

Also, OP, I loved BotW, but there is no way that's a visual reference. We never even saw that split mountain until E3 2016, a few weeks after B&W was released.

CloudWolf

I actually thought that Blood & Wine was a letdown compared to Hearts of Stone. Sure, Toussaint is beautiful, but the story is much weaker. Finally seeing Regis in the game was awesome though.

When Geralt walks into that inn at the beginning of the game, I was thinking, "Damn you CDProjektRed, you did it again, another sly Zelda reference."

But yes, B&W is one of the best expansions probably ever for a single player RPG. A lot of brand new content for a fair asking price.

HoS story is tighter but B&W still has an awesome story with amazing characters. Game looks phenomenal. Couldn't have imagined a more perfect send off for Geralt.

Staf

I liked HoS more but Blood and Wine is still the second best DLC ever. Both of them are quite remarkable.

Amazing atmosphere here, I agree. I don't necessarily prefer it to the main game's grimness, but it's a nice contrast for sure. The vampire stuff was all really interesting and I love how
Lambert showed up. I love Lambert.

That spoon house was horrifying.

when
does lambert show up in B&W?

Broank

It's loaded with some of the greatest side missions ever in gaming. The Smitten Knight, Roach, the Bank mission etc. Those quests actually affected me emotionally.

The 100 man battles were really fun too. Man there was just so much great stuff packed into it.

BouncyFrag

The conversation between Geralt and his old friend in the cemetery over a bottle of hooch is so good. The subtle questions to Geralt gives you a chance to shape his views and plans for the future allow for role playing.

Hearts of Stone had the emotional punch, and also had one of the best villains ever created in a videogame. Blood and Wine is a really good expansion because it's more of an exciting adventure. I think the two expansions should be judged separately.

If we're talking RPG expansions, I thought Shivering Isles from Oblivion was much better. It was just more Oblivion at the core, but the new world was so different from everything in the base game. It was a real treat experiencing all the insanity that new expansion had to offer.
Couldn't agree with you more

scoobs

Hearts of Stone had the better story/villain. Blood and Wine had the better everything else by a mile.

the fucking fairy tale stuff was legendary, one of the my all-time WOW moments in gaming

It's fantastic, yes, but the greatest expansion ever? No, that belongs to Total Annihilation: The Core Contingency.

That legit had enough new content to be released as Total Annihilation 2.

emrober5

Waiting on the Pro patch to dive into these (got the pass on sale), but I might be more excited for the expansions than any upcoming fall releases.

Witcher 3 was such an amazing game.

It is the most fleshed out rewarding expansion I've ever played. Especially when you consider how great the first expansion was and how amazing Witcher 3 already was.

I felt like it was just a reward for playing the series. So fun and yet enough content to stand on its own as a game.

HoS and B&W complemented each other very nicely.

HoS has the superior main quest with better story and better unique quests, and B&W gives the player another 'landmass' to have fun, with more side quests in terms of pure content, more things to collect, more enemy camps to clear, a new city to explore, a new art style more 'fairy tale'-like, better graphics with the redone vegetation, new enemies, etc. Just more 'Witcher 3', which is a good thing.

Hearts of Stone had the better story/villain. Blood and Wine had the better everything else by a mile.

the fucking fairy tale stuff was legendary, one of the my all-time WOW moments in gaming

oh yes also what an amazing concept

A fairytale land with an expiry date created by the court mage for two spoiled princesses to play in.

Both Witcher 3 expansions are incredible. Blood & Wine could've been a standalone game with the amount of content it offers and Toussaint has an amazing sense of place. Hearts of Stone has one of the greatest stories in the medium.

I loved it. I've no idea why some say HoS was better, unless you like that kind of story. But I personally preferred everything about BoW.

panty

The game and this expansion is miles above Zelda so why the fuck even bring that to this conversation.

Yes, it is the greatest expansion released.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I have played Heart of Stone and i think that whole expension stood out with one of the best part of the entire game. Then i sold my ps4 (for the Pro) and the only forgot to upload Witcher 3 savefiles. Now i started all over again and i just hit level 20 and started Skellige. Soon as i hit 30/32 i will start Blood and Wine.

This game is a great game but i have to be honest that its getting a bit boring playing for the second time for me. I hope i dont give up before reaching the expension.
Should have started with the expension in the special mode so i could skip the entire game but thought i would be fun to replay it.

roytheone

Yep, it's stellar. Just like heart of stone was stellar. The Witcher 3 season pas is by far the best season pass ever made, both in value and sheer quality.

MikeBison

Fantastic expansion. Both of them actually. A truly memorable game all round.

Put about 300 hours in getting the platinum and doing the expansions. Plan to replay once (if) they release that PS4Pro patch.

Tenck

From your pics you haven't even seen the best part yet. You're in for a treat visually later down the game.

Altairre

Really couldn't get into it.

I really liked the original game and Hearts of Stone, but I didn't have any fun with Blood and Wine. Somehow, they made the combat even worse in the expansion. The quests in general were lower quality. The new area in terms of visuals is noticeably worse in comparison to the landscapes in the base game. Lastly, I'm pretty much done with The Witcher 3 overall. I put over 100 hours into that game. The last thing I wanted from the expansion was "here, 30 more hours of Witcher 3, have fun!"

If we're talking RPG expansions, I thought Shivering Isles from Oblivion was much better. It was just more Oblivion at the core, but the new world was so different from everything in the base game. It was a real treat experiencing all the insanity that new expansion had to offer.

Huh? It's the same combat and if anything mutations give you more options not less. I also don't see how you can say that the landscapes are noticeably worse when Toussaint has a ton of variety
(not to speak of fairy tale land)
. Those seem like weird criticisims. I totally get not liking the characters or the story as much even though I personally think some of the conversations with Regis are among the best in the game.

Abylim

I also liked the fact that Geralt used a sword, and he is at one point said to be a master swordsman

Was a nice subtle nod to BotW

Seriously though Blood and wine is amazing. When's the pro patch due?

Tenck

What Pro patch? They said they weren't putting out a patch for the PS4 Pro months ago.

Edit: oh yeah getting patched for XBOX. Almost forgot.

pmj

I've put a couple of hours into the game and so far I'm not feeling it. Are the expansions better than the main campaign? Should I skip ahead?

StMeph

The major characters in Hearts of Stone were better, but the places, quests, and secondary characters just weren't as good. Shani playing a major part felt like fanservice of the worst kind.

Blood and Wine just turned out to be a much better cohesive package, even if the major characters driving the story weren't as compelling. My favorite thing about Toussaint is the explanation theorized by Regis that the region turned out the way it did with its beauty and joie de vivre due to its people being carefully cultivated as food for the vampire population.

People saying Hearts of Stone is better are definitely correct, but Blood and Wine is not exactly of low quality (it still oozes CDPR's quality set in TW3s original release).

MartyStu

HoS and B&W complemented each other very nicely.

HoS has the superior main quest with better story and better unique quests, and B&W gives the player another 'landmass' to have fun, with more side quests in terms of pure content, more things to collect, more enemy camps to clear, a new city to explore, a new art style more 'fairy tale'-like, better graphics with the redone vegetation, new enemies, etc. Just more 'Witcher 3', which is a good thing.

The best thing about Blood and Wine is the clear growth between it and the main campaign.

CDPR definitely learned some lessons and did a very good job applying them.

Top Bottom