• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would an X2/pascal Switch perform?

Considering that the X2 has :
1.5x the GPU (~400GFLOPS to ~600GFLOPS),
1.5x-2x CPU(on par with xbone/ps4),
2x the RAM(4GB ->8GB LPDDR4 )+ 2x the bandwidth(25.6GB/s-->58.4GB/s) as the current switch

Not to mention 50% the power draw which could give us 1.5x to 2x the battery life in handheld mode with the same clockspeeds as the current switch(they could also disable half the RAM in handheld mode maybe?). We could be some substantial performance on existing switch games.

It might not have 2.3x the GPU power of PS4 Pro vs PS4 regular, but the GPU boost is still modest and can help bump resolutions, while CPU and RAM boosts are much more significant. 900p-->1080p is 44% more pixels, and the switch could have the power to push 900p games to 1080p(the double the bandwidth helps quite a bit as well).

So here are examples of games I know will benefit. Note:I AM NOT a game developer. These are just theories.

1. Breath of the Wild
900p(adaptive resolution) 30fps-->1080p 30fps locked.
The 2xCPU makes the frames locked at 30fps at even the most heavy framerate scenarios like korok forest. Nintendo should be able to push for 1080p, though it might have to be at an adaptive 1080p that drops to 900p maybe?

2. Mario Kart Deluxe
1080p, 30fps-->1080p 60fp in splitscreen with 3-4 players. Surprisingly enough Nintendo decided to maintain the framerate instead of the resolution.. But perhaps the extra boost in GPU, and CPU could push it at a 60fps with 4 players?

3. Pokken Tournament
720p 60fps-->900p 60fps. I'm not sure why the switch version of the wii u game only got a 720p locked resolution.. I feel like it could have been more, but the extra boost from x2 should at least give it 900p I think.

4. Super Mario Odyssey
900p 60fps-->1080p 60fps. This should be a no brainer. They could scale this to 1080p easily with perhaps some minor boosts in fidelity

5. Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
900p, 60fps(1vs1) 30fps(multi battles)-->1080p(or 900p with some anti alliasing) 60fps for 1vs1 and multi player battles. I think there's a very good chance we could get 60fps in multi player battles. It's funny how both xbone and ps4 ran 1080p 60fps in all modes, meaning it wasn't pushing the ps4 system. Though I'm not sure if PS4 had extra graphical features over xbone. However besides current resolution and halved framerate in multi battles, the switch also doesn't have anti-aliasing.

6. Doom
720p (adaptive resolution), 30fps-->900p(adaptive), 60fps. Doom is known to be a CPU heavy game, which could explain why Switch's significantly weaker CPU cut the framerate to 30fps over PS4/Xbone versions. I'm sure we could see increase in graphics.. Either resolution from 720p to 900p or increase in textures and lighting at least(or perhaps 720p locked resolution and some minor increase in fidelity).

Thoughts? Especially from tech experts. I'm sure as hell as excited for a Switch+ iteration. The sooner the better, hopefully end of 2018, but I'm not betting on it. PS5/Xbtwo are only 3 years away.

Yu Furealdo

I don't see Nintendo coming out with a significant upgrade, especially anytime soon.

There will probably be a downgraded and cheaper version ala 2DS though.

goldenpp72

I don't see Nintendo coming out with a significant upgrade, especially anytime soon.

There will probably be a downgraded and cheaper version ala 2DS though.

If they follow their portable heritage they will upgrade the hardware at some point, though not soon. The GB eventually went to the color, same family but stronger specs, the GBA remained relatively the same internally, but both the DS and 3DS got more powerful revisions in time. The cool thing about switch games having variable framerates and resolutions, is that the upgrades could come with automated benefits in older titles.

However anyone waiting on a revision right now is foolish, it will likely be at least a couple years unless the system tanks.

Holy shit all the techies left this place.

Why would you think an upgraded version will come out?

Because that's what gaming companies do, including Nintendo. It's practically a shoe in that we will get one by end of 2019, especially when you consider Switch's current abysmal battery life. We're not getting a 1080p screen anytime soon, which some may want, unless we get a 1TFLOP console(docked), which would likely take 3 years or so

Because that's what gaming companies do, including Nintendo. It's practically a shoe in that we will get one by end of 2019, especially when you consider Switch's current abysmal battery life. Now back to on-topic on specs

Wouldnt surprise me if they released a Pro X2 deluxe model and a downgraded handheld only Switch

Wouldnt surprise me if they released a Pro X2 deluxe model and a downgraded handheld only Switch

downgraded in what way? Smaller screen size?

For the handheld aspect, they could just remove the bezels while giving it the same 6.2" screen size to make it significantly smaller. Perhaps built in buttons instead of removable joycons. There's the issue that the switch uses up almost the entire area in the back for its cpu, gpu, ram, currently though. But perhaps they could do something to squeeze it all in.

There won't be a Switch revision that significantly changes the hardware innards.

In, let's say, 2019/2020 there will be the launch of the Switch 2, which will be fully backwards-compatible and share the same OS. It'll follow the iphone model, where most Switch 2-games will also be running on the first Switch, just with lesser graphics. Then the Switch 3 launches, with Switch 2 still being good to, and Switch 1 will be phased out. That's Nintendo's way going forward.

Nintendo is just about to catch up with demand. There's simply no time for a DS lite-like revision.

Because that's what gaming companies do, including Nintendo. It's practically a shoe in that we will get one by end of 2019, especially when you consider Switch's current abysmal battery life. We're not getting a 1080p screen anytime soon, which some may want, unless we get a 1TFLOP console(docked), which would likely take 3 years or so
It's what gaming companies do? MS and Sony have done it once(not counting slim models) and Nintendo did it on old ass parts that were probably more expensive than newer stuff on strictly handhelds. Maybe I'm from another dimension or something.

Nintendo would probably find it preferable to fulfill the demand of the current switch iteration before making any risks on a new one. I would expect maybe a "DS-Lite" style variation in 3 years, not a significant hardware update.

It's what gaming companies do? MS and Sony have done it once(not counting slim models) and Nintendo did it on old ass parts that were probably more expensive than newer stuff on strictly handhelds. Maybe I'm from another dimension or something.
Nintendo releases new variants of all their handhelds, and yes Sony and Microsoft released PS4 pro and xbone pro. That IS the trend, and nintendo themselves said the switch will be among a family of devices. The trgrs devices are also backwards compatible in architecture including X2 Pascal.

Can we actually get back on topic on what it could do instead if arguing about stupid shit like it woild never happen, when all signs point to the inevitable yes,?

tkscz

It's been explained before, had Nintendo waited on the Tegra X2, the only difference would've been battery life. There would not have been a big FLOP upgrade and considering the CPU and RAM would've been the same, there wouldn't have been a difference. Last I remember, Pascal wasn't that much a an upgrade over Maxwell.

It's been explained before, had Nintendo waited on the Tegra X2, the only difference would've been battery life. There would not have been a big FLOP upgrade and considering the CPU and RAM would've been the same, there wouldn't have been a difference. Last I remember, Pascal wasn't that much a an upgrade over Maxwell.
Yes there would be. It's either 2x as power efficient as the tegra x1 with current clockspeeds or increase in clockspeeds for the GPU at 1.5x tegra x1, wih the same power draw. And that's with the added Denver cores and double the bandwidth. They can be used interchangeably. Already noted in op that they could use the same clockspeeds as handheld switch currently for handheld mode to almost double the battery life.

Xdrive05

I’m not expecting this to happen at all.

At some point there will be a successor hardware but it won’t use an X2. It will probably be whatever is contemporary mainstream Nvidia mobile tech in, say, 2020, and downclocked at that, like the X1 is.

Here’s why. The X2 is not enough of an advancement over the X1 to justify splitting the install base just yet. The X2 will not give you Switch games in 4K, for example. An X2 would bring no justifiably significant difference. No meaningful bullet point to market.

And the current hardware is flying off shelves. They don’t want to disrupt its momentum with a tech refresh any time soon. Nintendo’s not going to disrupt a good thing on a marginal upgrade.

I’m not expecting this to happen at all.

At some point there will be a successor hardware but it won’t use an X2. It will probably be whatever is contemporary mainstream Nvidia mobile tech in, say, 2020, and downclocked at that, like the X1 is.

Here’s why. The X2 is not enough of an advancement over the X1 to justify splitting the install base just yet. The X2 will not give you Switch games in 4K, for example. An X2 would bring no justifiably significant difference. No meaningful bullet point to market.

And the current hardware is flying off shelves. They don’t want to disrupt its momentum with a tech refresh any time soon. Nintendo’s not going to disrupt a good thing on a marginal upgrade.

Well the way the trend is going, they could get refreshes like phones which is every 2 years or so.

We're not getting a switch hybrid that is compatible with 4k anytime soon. The weakest link is the handheld aspect.

They could release a 4k dock upgrade on the side that is only compatible in.. docked mode.
Nintendo/Nvidia could very well skip Tegra X2, and head to xavier to have a 800GFLOPS-1TFLOP system that rivals xbone in power in docked mode, but they need to find a way to significantly decrease the power consumption(in watts) for portable mode at least.

Top Bottom