• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

catabarez

This the new htc vive thread? I just got the deluxe audio strap. It was nerve wracking installing this thing, but damn is it more comfortable.

Wardancer

Neo Member
I'm looking to improve my VR legs.

What are the notoriously dizzying games/apps I should try out?

Err you dont wanna go for the worst games that makes you sick, you want to go for the good implementations of movement. Onward, Pavlov has good implementations for moving around. Raw Data has good options for various movement (either use the headset rotation as forward, same as Windlands does can be very bad for motion sickness, or use the offhand controller to decide what forward is, much better for motion sickness and lets you look around while you walk in a more natural way)

Zalusithix

The Oculus store needs to do a lot of things to be even remotely competitive with Steam. Starting with selling games that officially support more than one VR device.

Starting with? They can't be bothered to make a web store that has basic search, filter, etc. capabilities. They don't provide a worldwide refund policy. Their platform doesn't support cloud saves. Frankly we're over a year past launch and they're still missing a ton of stuff they need just to reach parity with the other digital distribution platforms - even for Rift owners. I'm starting to think that not supporting other hardware isn't a matter of policy, but general incompetence. =P

Throwing tons of money at devs to make games has resulted in some good exclusives. Having people like Carmack has allowed them to pioneer some interesting solutions like ASW. Yet all that money and talent isn't doing much good for their internal platform development. Mind boggling really considering this is something the parent company should excel at.

Err you dont wanna go for the worst games that makes you sick, you want to go for the good implementations of movement. Onward, Pavlov has good implementations for moving around. Raw Data has good options for various movement (either use the headset rotation as forward, same as Windlands does can be very bad for motion sickness, or use the offhand controller to decide what forward is, much better for motion sickness and lets you look around while you walk in a more natural way)

The person you quoted wants to improve their VR legs so they can play a broader variety of games not sty within what they are comfortable with. Going for games like WIndlands is a much better option as long as they stop when they start to feel icky. Then come back when the feeling disappears. Never push past that initial bad feeling as you will just get worse.

For those that want to improve VR legs and have issues with certain games try playing them when a bit drunk then play them again when sober (not hungover) and you will likely find you can got much longer in them than prior. I have had this work with many people.

Also try keep your focal distance at a set point don't try quickly looking at objects closer and further away as this is also thought to be one of the reasons why some people feel sick in cockpit games but can be fine with stick locomotion.

Watched Giant Bomb's VRodeo with Polybius last night. Goddamn do I want that game. It might be my most hyped right now along with Super Hyper Cube. Hopefully both make their way to PC soon.

I saw pics of Jeff Minter with an Oculus, but I hope it isn't exclusive to their storefront.

Wardancer

Neo Member
The person you quoted wants to improve their VR legs so they can play a broader variety of games not sty within what they are comfortable with. Going for games like WIndlands is a much better option as long as they stop when they start to feel icky. Then come back when the feeling disappears. Never push past that initial bad feeling as you will just get worse.

For those that want to improve VR legs and have issues with certain games try playing them when a bit drunk then play them again when sober (not hungover) and you will likely find you can got much longer in them than prior. I have had this work with many people.

Also try keep your focal distance at a set point don't try quickly looking at objects closer and further away as this is also thought to be one of the reasons why some people feel sick in cockpit games but can be fine with stick locomotion.

And I strongly disagree, going with the worst implementation seems like a terrible way to go. Go with something that has been known to work for a lot of people and got a lot of people who did not even believe in artificial locomotion to agree that it works. (hell Onward even convinced Chet that it works).

Edit: VR legs is also a misnomer, some people just get motion sick and cant help it but a lot of people get motionsick because they are not fully in control of whats happening. Learning to play onward or any of the other artificial locomotion games and not get sick often comes down to being very comfortable with the controllers so there is never any accidental movement and when you move its exactly where you want and at the speed you want. At least based on showing VR to a bunch of people with various degrees of motionsickness sensitivity.

Edit 2: It also helps if the game is fun and you like it :)

Paganmoon

Regarding "VR-legs", I'm heading in the wrong direction with mine. The first VR experience I had was with BattleZone on the PSVR back in late 2015, absolutely loved it, and didn't feel sick at all.
Bought it when it got released on SteamVR, and I haven't been able to complete a single map, I feel sick pretty much right away, and am out of commission for a few hours. And ginger just makes me feel worse (hate the taste).

So yeah, the "VR-legs" thing isn't really a thing. Some people get motion sick, others don't.

MaDKaT

Regarding "VR-legs", I'm heading in the wrong direction with mine. The first VR experience I had was with BattleZone on the PSVR back in late 2015, absolutely loved it, and didn't feel sick at all.
Bought it when it got released on SteamVR, and I haven't been able to complete a single map, I feel sick pretty much right away, and am out of commission for a few hours. And ginger just makes me feel worse (hate the taste).

So yeah, the "VR-legs" thing isn't really a thing. Some people get motion sick, others don't.

Out of curiosity(I dont have Battlezone...yet) are you possibly in reprojection the whole time? Dirt Rally almost did me in the first time I played it. Turned out to be a nvidia driver bug that caused the issue but I wasn't able to complete a single section and for about a week, just looking at the headset made me ill. Long since corrected.

I wish there was a HMD I could buy that wouldn't be instantly outdated. I want to play these VR games, but I don't want to pay out the !@*#!@ for a VR setup that will be outclassed in a matter of months.

I also want a HMD from a company with good customer service. It is insane to me that HTC's customer support is as bad as it is, considering how expensive the Vive is. We are early adopters of a developing technology, and we paid $800 for your product. You should be treating us like royalty, not coughing up a 1-year limited warranty that doesn't even cover problems that affect 50% of your users like fucked-up controller touchpads.

Paganmoon

Out of curiosity(I dont have Battlezone...yet) are you possibly in reprojection the whole time? Dirt Rally almost did me in the first time I played it. Turned out to be a nvidia driver bug that caused the issue but I wasn't able to complete a single section and for about a week, just looking at the headset made me ill. Long since corrected.

Honestly haven't checked OpenVR Advanced settings for how many frames I'm dropping during BattleZone, though I'm running a Core i7 6700k with a GTX1080, and I'm not supersampling too much, so I'd be surprised if I was. Unless it is as in your case a bug with the driver/game.

Might give it another try, over the weekend, when I have nothing else planned for the day :)

Zalusithix

Oculus is updating to be able to launch Steam games directly from Oculus Home.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-1-17-update-will-let-launch-steamvr-apps-oculus-home

That'll address one of the complaints for people primarily using Oculus Home to launch games (that they can't see their SteamVR games and thus forget about them). At first glance the move seems counter to their goal of not having people use Steam to buy games, but it's not without merits to Oculus. With a game based launch, users will not have to look at the Steam storefront before starting a game, nor be shunted directly to SteamVR home. The less time a user is looking at Steam/SteamVR, the better it is for them.

Soroc

I wish there was a HMD I could buy that wouldn't be instantly outdated. I want to play these VR games, but I don't want to pay out the !@*#!@ for a VR setup that will be outclassed in a matter of months.

I also want a HMD from a company with good customer service. It is insane to me that HTC's customer support is as bad as it is, considering how expensive the Vive is. We are early adopters of a developing technology, and we paid $800 for your product. You should be treating us like royalty, not coughing up a 1-year limited warranty that doesn't even cover problems that affect 50% of your users like fucked-up controller touchpads.

Is there a reason you don't want to jump on the Rift at 399? I find Oculus customer support to be pretty responsive and helpful. You can always resell your headset when the next one comes out, I mean all technology has a short shelf life. Most Rift stuff still works with the DK2 and some people are still using that even though there is a much superior version with CV1.

I don't know what to tell ya as you seem to have unrealistic expectations if you don't think something better will always be right around the corner!

Oculus is updating to be able to launch Steam games directly from Oculus Home.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-1-17-update-will-let-launch-steamvr-apps-oculus-home

I haven't read the article but if it doesn't mention it, don't launch games from SteamVR as it might not show up on Oculus Home as SteamVR might be the only app it sees. I've seen people say to launch the games from the exe itself and then it should register properly in Oculus Home. (Haven't added anything yet myself)

I haven't read the article but if it doesn't mention it, don't launch games from SteamVR as it might not show up on Oculus Home as SteamVR might be the only app it sees. I've seen people say to launch the games from the exe itself and then it should register properly in Oculus Home. (Haven't added anything yet myself)

I have a Vive, but from what I understand SteamVR should just work with the Rift pretty much the same as if you were using the Vive. This update addresses people who don't want to use the SteamVR interface. Are you talking about Oculus Home reporting what game you play to your friends?

Iorv3th

How do you check this?

Soroc

I have a Vive, but from what I understand SteamVR should just work with the Rift pretty much the same as if you were using the Vive. This update addresses people who don't want to use the SteamVR interface. Are you talking about Oculus Home reporting what game you play to your friends?

Exactly, but you got to get the 3rd party games into the Oculus Home. There doesn't seem to be a way to manually add them, you need to launch the game and Oculus discovers and adds it. If you launch games from within SteamVR, Oculus may not see the game only SteamVR. So to get the games to populate correctly sometimes you need to launch the game directly from the game .exe. Hope that makes more sense!

MaDKaT

How do you check this?

You can go into setting > performance and shut off the reprojection options and see if you get the missed frames warning or you can click on the show frame timing graph and see if you have a lot of red spikes/blocks. May be other or better ways but this worked for me.

vermadas

Exactly, but you got to get the 3rd party games into the Oculus Home. There doesn't seem to be a way to manually add them, you need to launch the game and Oculus discovers and adds it. If you launch games from within SteamVR, Oculus may not see the game only SteamVR. So to get the games to populate correctly sometimes you need to launch the game directly from the game .exe. Hope that makes more sense!

I don't have the beta, but what I would expect is happening is that, if you start SteamVR first, the SteamVR exe is what Oculus sees as the VR app. When you launch a game from within SteamVR, Oculus does not "see" that new executable since it's running within the SteamVR wrapper.

SimplexPL

The Oculus store needs to do a lot of things to be even remotely competitive with Steam. Starting with selling games that officially support more than one VR device.
They want people to buy rifts, so I doubt this will happen any time soon (not that I agree with it, just stating a fact).

Oculus Store doesn't even have a wishlist. A wishlist.

Is there a reason you don't want to jump on the Rift at 399? I find Oculus customer support to be pretty responsive and helpful. You can always resell your headset when the next one comes out, I mean all technology has a short shelf life. Most Rift stuff still works with the DK2 and some people are still using that even though there is a much superior version with CV1.

I don't know what to tell ya as you seem to have unrealistic expectations if you don't think something better will always be right around the corner!

I dislike Facebook. I also want room scale out of the box.

SimplexPL

Nothing from Oculus at least:
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/252939-theres-no-oculus-rift-2-coming-anytime-soon

EDIT: Echo Arena review in Adventure Gamers

https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/33238
4.5 stars out of 5

The Good: Moving around is comfortable, immersive, and fun; strong emotional core focused on two main characters; high production values; believable world.

The Bad: Puzzles tend to focus on searching rather than problem-solving; the ending leaves loose ends for a sequel.

Our Verdict: Lone Echo has been designed from scratch around VR's strengths, defying the limitations that have held other games back. Incredible visuals, freeing zero-g movement, and strong writing and performances help create something that simply couldn't exist in another medium.

vermadas

They want people to buy rifts, so I doubt this will happen any time soon (not that I agree with it, just stating a fact).

They (should) be more motivated to get people to buy stuff from their store. More money is made from the content.

I have no idea if there's any truth to it, but I've heard that Oculus would allow Vive (and presumably other headsets) if it could use the Oculus Runtime directly. HTC and/or Valve are only letting it use OpenVR. Presumably Oculus would not want to allocate the support resources to a headset using a SDK they have no control over.

Conversely, Valve doesn't have a restriction on the runtime used in VR games on their store. And OpenVR is not as intertwined with their store as Oculus.

We'll see how the OpenXR Khronos standard changes things.

Amneisac

Playing Lucky's Tale standing was definitely weird. I quit before I got sick, but I definitely felt some sweating coming on and my legs felt funny. I'm assuming you want to play that one seated.

I'm trying to get a feel for as much as I can so I can decide if I want to stick with this or take it back to Best Buy. A few games, Rec Room and Luckys Tale I have noticed felt like they have a more narrow FoV and that kind of bothers me. Robo Recall and Dead and Buried or whatever it's called didn't bother me at all.

Soroc

I don't have the beta, but what I would expect is happening is that, if you start SteamVR first, the SteamVR exe is what Oculus sees as the VR app. When you launch a game from within SteamVR, Oculus does not "see" that new executable since it's running within the SteamVR wrapper.

Yup thats what I was trying to get at. So if you have games you want in Oculus Home than you should launch the exe and not launch games via SteamVR.

I dislike Facebook. I also want room scale out of the box.

Not sure how much research you have done, I have 0 integration to Facebook and I have roomscale with the 399 bundle. 2 sensors gives me the room scale if setup correctly, I'm just getting a 3rd due to expanding my setup. Check out the summer bundle and the oculus thread if you haven't.

Not sure how much research you have done, I have 0 integration to Facebook and I have roomscale with the 399 bundle. 2 sensors gives me the room scale if setup correctly, I'm just getting a 3rd due to expanding my setup. Check out the summer bundle and the oculus thread if you haven't.
I'm pretty sure facebook owning oculus is whats stopping him

And I strongly disagree, going with the worst implementation seems like a terrible way to go. Go with something that has been known to work for a lot of people and got a lot of people who did not even believe in artificial locomotion to agree that it works. (hell Onward even convinced Chet that it works).

Edit: VR legs is also a misnomer, some people just get motion sick and cant help it but a lot of people get motionsick because they are not fully in control of whats happening. Learning to play onward or any of the other artificial locomotion games and not get sick often comes down to being very comfortable with the controllers so there is never any accidental movement and when you move its exactly where you want and at the speed you want. At least based on showing VR to a bunch of people with various degrees of motionsickness sensitivity.

Edit 2: It also helps if the game is fun and you like it :)

I have got a few people to develop VR legs and can play games like windlands with no problem where beforehand even slow rail locomotion made them feel off. I have met one person where Medium made them ill but is now OK with most things except FPS style locomotion. I now have a pretty surefire way when introducing people to VR to get them to more intense forms of locomotion and except in a few cases can usually do it in one sitting. I also never bring in games that use roomscale or approximations of it during this process.

cakefoo

My personal anecdotes suggest otherwise. A year ago I'd have to lay down after just 10 minutes of Onward. Now I can play Pavlov as long as I want.

Try ginger. If you're like me, you'll be able to dive right into the world of artificial locomotion. Then, after a handful of 1-hour sessions, try playing without ginger and see how you feel.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Watched Giant Bomb's VRodeo with Polybius last night. Goddamn do I want that game. It might be my most hyped right now along with Super Hyper Cube. Hopefully both make their way to PC soon.

I saw pics of Jeff Minter with an Oculus, but I hope it isn't exclusive to their storefront.

He said polybius is coming to the Rift somewhere in Nov

DiRT Rally is on GMG as a Flash Sale right now which should bring it down to about $15.

However, I can't get the SUMMER2017 code to work. Dammit.

EDIT: Nevermind, I added another of the games, added the code, and deleted the other game and it took.

Renekton

Okay thanks I got Windlands (rats Steam version not recognizing Oculus Touch), it's time to boogie.

cakefoo

HTC's Vive Studios will be publishing its first AAA title, Reboant

It will debut on Viveport arcade at the end of this year before other places

https://youtu.be/4X62srCNWmA
I don't know about "AAA" -- games usually have huge marketing pushes, and this only has 310 views in 5 months. Plus I can't find anything about it on Google.

Also, how safe is Viveport? I remember reading horror stories a while back, so I've always been afraid of it. But now I can't find any of those posts.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't know about "AAA" -- games usually have huge marketing pushes, and this only has 310 views in 5 months. Plus I can't find anything about it on Google.

Also, how safe is Viveport? I remember reading horror stories a while back, so I've always been afraid of it. But now I can't find any of those posts.

Its a China-made game, so its only getting the exposure in China so far. And those were rather low-key exposures.

HTC only announces it formally today at ChinaJoy for Viveport.
http://m.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20170727/1169439/

I mean the Chinese medias are calling it AAA, and Playstation fans are billing Monkey King Hero as AAA title too.

Not sure who exactly made Front Defense for Viveport but if it is indicative for their "care" when it comes to developing games for Viveport then I don't have much hope. Afaik the game needs a huge play area and that is not adjustable, which is extremely silly as the play area doesn't even need a fixed size that large.

Amneisac

DiRT Rally is on GMG as a Flash Sale right now which should bring it down to about $15.

However, I can't get the SUMMER2017 code to work. Dammit.

EDIT: Nevermind, I added another of the games, added the code, and deleted the other game and it took.

Well, I just made my first VR game purchase. I grabbed Dirt Rally, which I won't really count since it's technically not only VR, but I also grabbed Superhot VR for $36 total for both. I'm hoping Dirt won't make me sick!

Paganmoon

Man that's so threadbare, a few concept art pictures, and a standard fly through of a few environments, where as supposedly they have a tutorial and and Act 1 done already.
Shows no gameplay, shows nothing of "in-game VR".
And the writing for the kickstarter seems, very stream of concioussness/brainstorming like.
They don't exactly state what the $58000 is needed for either, is it for full time work by the 6 in the main team, plus 3 in the "extended" team? seems low for a years work now?

Doesn't inspire confidence, honestly.

Lakuza

Anyone tried or have Sairento VR?

I already own raw data and superhot vr (alongside robo recall ofcourse), so is it too similar to these or is it enough to feel unique/fresh?

Top Bottom