• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Zalusithix

Anyone tried or have Sairento VR?

I already own raw data and superhot vr (alongside robo recall ofcourse), so is it too similar to these or is it enough to feel unique/fresh?

I'm probably the biggest proponent of Sairento here with close to 50 hours logged. It's really nothing like the other mentioned games other than a superficial resemblance. Sairento is all about combining extreme freedom of movement with copious bullet time. In Sairento you'll be jumping (hello quadruple air jump), crouch-sliding, and wall running while initiating bullet time to dispatch enemies mid-maneuver. Tele-dash exists, but is reserved for short distance traversal. There's a skill tree and loot based equipment relics that can alter the gameplay radically.

The game's lacking on the objective front right now, but from a raw gameplay loop, it's one of the best. Certainly the best at making you feel like a badass IMO.

Lakuza

I'm probably the biggest proponent of Sairento here with close to 50 hours logged. It's really nothing like the other mentioned games other than a superficial resemblance. Sairento is all about combining extreme freedom of movement with copious bullet time. In Sairento you'll be jumping (hello quadruple air jump), crouch-sliding, and wall running while initiating bullet time to dispatch enemies mid-maneuver. Tele-dash exists, but is reserved for short distance traversal. There's a skill tree and loot based equipment relics that can alter the gameplay radically.

The game's lacking on the objective front right now, but from a raw gameplay loop, it's one of the best. Certainly the best at making you feel like a badass IMO.

Thanks, that sounds pretty cool and i'm definately closer to buying this soon thanks to your reply :)
I know you said its lacking on an objective right now, but I assume its still level based right? Like clear all enemies ro progress to the next stage etc. If so, how many stages are there or is it randomly generated?

Zalusithix

Thanks, that sounds pretty cool and i'm definately closer to buying this soon thanks to your reply :)
I know you said its lacking on an objective right now, but I assume its still level based right? Like clear all enemies ro progress to the next stage etc. If so, how many stages are there or is it randomly generated?

There's currently 4 different static levels where the objective can be clearing enemy waves (3 waves), killing a certain number of enemies, or survival for a certain period of time. There's a 5th semi-dynamic level where the number of rooms changes and the objective is to kill everything and reach the end. Right now the game chooses 3 missions at a time that randomly pick between those levels and objectives. Complete them and get a loot reward. Beyond that, there's beacons that can be used on each mission to add variables into the mix in return for extra/rarer loot. By using beacons, you can have enemies that shoot double the number of projectiles, faster projectiles, etc.

Also have some (month old) gifs of the game in the old Vive thread here. I should really make some more with the bow and newer relics.

Zalusithix

Here's a cool Sairento bow gif I found on Reddit.

https://gfycat.com/HeartfeltLeafyArabianoryx

I've been meaning to play it again since they added that SuperHot-like slow mo relic.

You can do cooler these days. That's an old gif. These days you can hold the trigger for the bow hand to initiate multi-shot. There's also arrow penetration, bounce, homing, and explosive arrow modifiers. You can also use small weapons in the offhand now while using a bow.

I don't have recordings showing half of that (heck, don't even have all of the relics), but here's some older footage showing multishot + offhand weapon. I have some bounce and penetration clips as well, but those are pretty easy to imagine.

Lord Phol

I"ve put about 70 hours into Subnautica since 2014 in VR. It's still early access, but coming out of it in around a month or two. It's basically in the polish/optimization section now. I think it is one of the best examples of immersion in VR. It's absolutely incredible. It's basically Minecraft under water and with better visuals.

That being said, I've heard people say it's a little rough for them in VR. I don't have any issues with motion sickness and dropped frames don't cause me to get sick at all. It has some issues with loading and stuff, but if you have a decent PC, you rarely notice that anyways, most of the people who yell at me are using 970's and things like that.

Long story short. It's incredible, take it with a grain of salt, but if you want to see Early Access and VR done right, Subnautica is easily one of the most impressive VR games out. If you get motion sick easily at all, you might want to wait till it's optimized a bit, but it's no where near as bad as people make it out to be.

Tried just a couple of minutes myself, but it was pretty spooky.
The scale of submerged algae and rocks is scary.

It's not super optimized for VR though, i wish you could deactivate your character model, since the game doesn't seem to support motion controls.

Thanks for the impressions! I love immersive games and haven't had any problems with motion sickness at all when using PSVR at least. Sounds like this is either going to cure my phobia or give me a heart attack. Definitely giving it a try as soon as my Occulus arrives (feels like I've waited forever at this point x.x).

Thanks for the impressions! I love immersive games and haven't had any problems with motion sickness at all when using PSVR at least. Sounds like this is either going to cure my phobia or give me a heart attack. Definitely giving it a try as soon as my Occulus arrives (feels like I've waited forever at this point x.x).

It can get a little creepy I guess, staring out into the voidless abyss of the ocean, but it's not a jump scare type of thing. Just be sure you buy it on the Steam store and NOT on the oculus store. On the steam side you can go into the experimental branch (Just right click on the game, then choose properties, then click on the betas tab, then choose experimental) This is being updated every day, sometimes multiple times a day and has the newest features. It's an incredible game, I can't wait till it gets fully released so I can actually play through it all.

Accounting was certainly something!

Bless the folks who put out free, fun, short VR experiences just to do so because some of that stuff is worth the price of admission alone.

Played the free Chapter 1 of Life of Lon

It's short, more a teaser, 10 Minutes and it's over. I like the style and the atmosphere of the game. Not exactly sure what it is about, I guess you'll follow this underwater sea creature around and solve simple abstract puzzles by pointing a laser at certain elements of it. Could be good or bad as an entire game, not sure what to think of it.

-

Also bought Minecraft to play it in VR with Vivecraft. It's been a long time since I've played it and there is a lot of new stuff that I have never seen, many updates.
Not sure if I will get into the groove like the first time I've played it, I will probably build a mob farm and visit the nether and download some user created environments and then I will leave it again... that's the plan for now at least.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If there any list of "Games that have VR support but aren't listed as so on Steam"? I know theres a world of VR games off of Steam, as well as games that have had great VR support modded into them but every time I go to play VR I just look in the "VR" header on Steam VR and overlook anything else worthwhile.

I'm looking to improve my VR legs.

What are the notoriously dizzying games/apps I should try out?

A lot of people wanna yartz from Wind Lands. I think its great and I love it, but its definitely one of the more trying games for others.

Played the free Chapter 1 of Life of Lon

It's short, more a teaser, 10 Minutes and it's over. I like the style and the atmosphere of the game. Not exactly sure what it is about, I guess you'll follow this underwater sea creature around and solve simple abstract puzzles by pointing a laser at certain elements of it. Could be good or bad as an entire game, not sure what to think of it.

The theme music for that is incredible.

Amneisac

You can do cooler these days. That's an old gif. These days you can hold the trigger for the bow hand to initiate multi-shot. There's also arrow penetration, bounce, homing, and explosive arrow modifiers. You can also use small weapons in the offhand now while using a bow.

I don't have recordings showing half of that (heck, don't even have all of the relics), but here's some older footage showing multishot + offhand weapon. I have some bounce and penetration clips as well, but those are pretty easy to imagine.

That looks like it would make me ralph all over the place. I still haven't tried any intense games yet, but that looks brutal.

Lakuza

Here's a cool Sairento bow gif I found on Reddit.

https://gfycat.com/HeartfeltLeafyArabianoryx

I've been meaning to play it again since they added that SuperHot-like slow mo relic.

awesome gifs :D I still have a ton of games to complete but I'll definately pick up sairento with my next wave of vr purchases. (Thanks for the quick info too)

Zalusithix

That looks like it would make me ralph all over the place. I still haven't tried any intense games yet, but that looks brutal.

Honestly I find the jumps in Sairento more natural feeling than seemingly less intense artificial movement in many other games. I theorize it has something to do with the distance from the ground decreasing relative scenery movement speed, and the fact that it's not unnatural for you to be moving in a jump without moving your legs IRL. I mean, I admit that the first time I performed a backwards jump unintentionally I nearly fell on my ass, but other than that it's been smooth sailing from day one. Granted I'm quite resistant to actual nausea in VR, but depending on implementation things like slide movement can feel "off" to me (for the lack of a better term).

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The Wizard Vr (early access i believe) and Just in Time Incorporated is out today

Not sure about the Wizard vr but i will be buying and playing it after work today

Amneisac

So I was in Medium I think it's called, the 3D modeling thing. Super fucking awesome. But I kept getting weird little hitches where it felt like the letters moved slightly. It didn't make me sick or anything but it kind of was a quick jolt to the immersion. Does that sound like a tracking issue? I'm doing the two sensor 360 setup with a Rift.

iosefe

just got a Rift, but forgot a Display port adapter for my monitor, would it be too difficult to set it up missing that?

Iorv3th

I got superhot vr today. Really fun game. But it is super short. Steam shows I played for 89 minutes and I beat it and then was doing some of the challenges.

Was very neat, but surprised by how short it is.

ElyrionX

What's the best racing game on Rift? No rally please. Preferably one with regular road cars? I read somewhere about some free racing game too?

Lakuza

Anyone looking forward to gunheart? It should be launched as an early access title any time this month i think (it said late summer 2017).

trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBDV7V_6g5o
movement trailer (locomotion and teleporting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7qn-wIH02g
interaction trailer (physics and objects etc):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOXtBDH7iOw

I got superhot vr today. Really fun game. But it is super short. Steam shows I played for 89 minutes and I beat it and then was doing some of the challenges.

Was very neat, but surprised by how short it is.

From what I've read ithe campaign itself is just a tutorial and the main focus of the game is getting a higher score in the challenges or endless levels unlocked after.

I play it for about 20-30 minutes at the end of my lone echo session so I've only just unlocked
the super power to blow up heads
. It's a great game to show off when you have people over though :D

Also, this might be well known but with superhot's campaign (as i dont know if it works in the modes unlocked after) you can carry weapons from one stage to another. Grab a weapon as soon as you make contact with the "grab" button and you'll have the weapon in the next stage (doesnt work when you hit the "super..hot" checkpoints).

"What's the best racing game on Rift? No rally please. Preferably one with regular road cars? I read somewhere about some free racing game too?"

Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Race Room Racing Experience, Project Cars, Live For Speed.

Assetto Corsa doesn't have a VR menu, so you'll have to setup and start your races with the headset off and then put it on. Every time.

iRacing now has a beta VR Menu. It doesn't have AI so it's really about multiplayer racing or hotlapping. Subscription based.

Race Room Racing Experience has a VR menu, runs pretty well, has AI. Free to play, but you have to buy content piece meal. Pretty decently priced bundles, though.

Project Cars runs pretty poorly, but has a VR menu and a decent single player experience. Has a free "Pagani Edition" demo.

Live For Speed is fairly old, but it still works fine. Has a free demo.

lol, you've seen his headset and controllers on the floor. I do the same thing when I walk to the kitchen to get something to drink etc

Put everything on the floor.

ElyrionX

"What's the best racing game on Rift? No rally please. Preferably one with regular road cars? I read somewhere about some free racing game too?"

Assetto Corsa, iRacing, Race Room Racing Experience, Project Cars, Live For Speed.

Assetto Corsa doesn't have a VR menu, so you'll have to setup and start your races with the headset off and then put it on. Every time.

iRacing now has a beta VR Menu. It doesn't have AI so it's really about multiplayer racing or hotlapping. Subscription based.

Race Room Racing Experience has a VR menu, runs pretty well, has AI. Free to play, but you have to buy content piece meal. Pretty decently priced bundles, though.

Project Cars runs pretty poorly, but has a VR menu and a decent single player experience. Has a free "Pagani Edition" demo.

Live For Speed is fairly old, but it still works fine. Has a free demo.

Many thanks! Will try Project Cars demo and see how that goes.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Some interesting titles release today:
  • Just In Time Incorporated
  • Loco Dojo
  • X Rebirth VR Edition
  • Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR
  • The Wizards
  • SteamHammerVR - The Rogue Apprentice

Lakuza

Some interesting titles release today:
  • Just In Time Incorporated
  • Loco Dojo
  • X Rebirth VR Edition
  • Racket Fury: Table Tennis VR
  • The Wizards
  • SteamHammerVR - The Rogue Apprentice

loco dojo has been on oculus store already so I assume most people who were interested would have probably played it through there (with rift or revive for vive).

Just in time incorporated seems to be really short. Reviews on steam seem to suggest people completing all levels between 45 mins to 90 mins. So i find it priced way too high for what it offers (especially given the visual style too and no music). I might reconsider in future though if they add more stages to go through to justify that price.

Wizards looks interesting, but it seems to be mega short too with the emphasis on replaying the 2 levels/locations for a higher score. Might wait for it to get more content since I still have mages tale to complete.

Zalusithix

I was looking forward to that, but Eleven Table Tennis got an (unexpected) update today:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/488310/announcements/

So for double the price you have to pay for Racket Fury it better delivers!

The update was actually yesterday (can't help but think the two things weren't coincidental). With only my novice abilities to judge, I'd say Eleven has the realistic physics edge. Fury has way higher production values though. Fury's avatar customization, animations, etc. are all superior to Eleven's. The menus are a bit glitchy right now, and there's no graphics options (bug? not implemented yet?), but the general level of polish for something that just entered EA is quite high. Eleven, in comparison, has been in EA for over a year now. Assuming Fury proportionally advances as much in EA as Eleven has (heck, Eleven wasn't even called Eleven when it first hit EA), I think it has a chance of beating Eleven in all regards by the time it exits EA.

Paganmoon

If you want a short story (originally a ballet) of about 15 minutes or so, I can recommend La Peri on Steam. It's an adaptation of a ballet by Dukas, mostly just narration and a few interactive scenes. I thought it was cool enough. I really do like these short story adaptations, it doesn't have to be all games. This is a new medium, should be used for all purposes, and story telling where you can be truly immersed in the story or narrative is something I hope more creators try to delve into.

Edit: I guess I could continue with topic and also recommend Quanero VR, Also quite short, but this one has a twist with a rewind mechanics, where you're supposed to "solve" what caused the events you see. Pretty cool as well, and in a cyberpunk setting.

If you want a short story (originally a ballet) of about 15 minutes or so, I can recommend La Peri on Steam. It's an adaptation of a ballet by Dukas, mostly just narration and a few interactive scenes. I thought it was cool enough. I really do like these short story adaptations, it doesn't have to be all games. This is a new medium, should be used for all purposes, and story telling where you can be truly immersed in the story or narrative is something I hope more creators try to delve into.

Edit: I guess I could continue with topic and also recommend Quanero VR, Also quite short, but this one has a twist with a rewind mechanics, where you're supposed to "solve" what caused the events you see. Pretty cool as well, and in a cyberpunk setting.

Thanks. I'm always looking for stuff like that.
-
Slightly on topic, there was a Salvatore Dali Mueum VR on Steam, I still have it on my wishlist but when I click the storepage button it only redirects to the frontstore of Steam. I guess they removed it for some reason?
(I once knew a girl that was a big fan of Dali, 15-20 years ago, I had a huge crush on her but it never went anywhere. ... man I would have gotten her with that stuff I swear lol)

Lakuza

Finished Lone Echo and Superhot VR today (for superhot I've just unlocked the different modes).

Lone Echo took me about 9 hours and 12 minutes to complete (single playthrough only). Felt like the perfect length for the game (also super happy that it was as long as standard console/pc games). I completed most side quests (I wasn't able to complete the satelite activation side quest in time). The ending was great and I really hope they make a sequel.
Will try echo arena for the first time tommorrow :)

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a vr game that isn't over in 2 hours. This is a game that I think would only work in VR from the immersion of being there, the presence and the superb use motion controls. If you want to experience something that feels "only in vr" this is the one to get.

Superhot vr was really fun. Took me a lot of retries to clear that last room but thanks to that I was able to do the previous stages without slow motion, felt like a ninja :_) Just unlocked the different modes and had a quick try of endless mode and was so happy to see that its entirely new layouts/stages. Wasn't expecting
the super power at all either
. I think this will be one of the first games I will always show people that try my rift out :D

Zalusithix

You should contribute to the automated list =P Well, unless you can't think of a third title...

low-G

Cross posting for convenience at suggestion.

I tried the Racket NX update last night. Holy shit, great game even better! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes the idea of squash (racket sport), or breakout type games (it's similar). Really fantastic presentation, and now the gameplay is more forgiving yet still challenging. Lots more mechanics.

I tried The Wizards. Disappointing. Mechanics are really simple, really boring. Basic wave shooter with node based movement, which might have been ok if there was some decent action. There's autoaim applied to your fireball tosses so it feels really bad. Developer claims it's 1.5 hours long too. I'd definitely recommend a pass.

Eleven (after update) is still brutally challenging, but still immaculately designed.

Soi-Fong

Cross posting for convenience at suggestion.

I tried the Racket NX update last night. Holy shit, great game even better! I highly recommend it to anyone who likes the idea of squash (racket sport), or breakout type games (it's similar). Really fantastic presentation, and now the gameplay is more forgiving yet still challenging. Lots more mechanics.

I tried The Wizards. Disappointing. Mechanics are really simple, really boring. Basic wave shooter with node based movement, which might have been ok if there was some decent action. There's autoaim applied to your fireball tosses so it feels really bad. Developer claims it's 1.5 hours long too. I'd definitely recommend a pass.

Eleven (after update) is still brutally challenging, but still immaculately designed.

Awesome to hear about Racket! I'm still debating on whether to get Mage's Tale now or wait for a sale. Still have many VR games to get through like Lone Echo and I know Mage's Tale will go on sale at least by the holiday sales.

looking for some help here - in Echo Arena, every time I join a game, ReVive crashes.

I've done completely fresh installations of both Occulus Home, ReVive and Echo Arena.

I've also opted into Oculus beta, and I've made sure ReVive is up to date. Every time I click "join match," the screen fades to black and I am kicked back to steam VR. Anyone else having this issue?

"looking for some help here - in Echo Arena, every time I join a game, ReVive crashes.

I've done completely fresh installations of both Occulus Home, ReVive and Echo Arena.

I've also opted into Oculus beta, and I've made sure ReVive is up to date. Every time I click "join match," the screen fades to black and I am kicked back to steam VR. Anyone else having this issue?"

Haven't had any problems, but I haven't opted into the Oculus beta.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I finally beat Raw Data mission 3 after like months. The new update really does make it feel complete.

Also played some glider island.. which is stupid and fun. It has awful performance though!! I don't get it. But getting the rings is actually pretty fun.

it's happening in and out of oculus beta. sort of at a loss here - I was able to play one game a week ago, and suddenly every join game results in a crash. I can't trace it back to any setting in particular and fresh installations don't work...no idea what is left to change

EDIT: okay no fucking way but theory...I had been muting the lobby each time i join (can you blame me? people just scream the entire time), that might have been it? maybe? I got in a game and I swear all i did was accidentally not mute everyone

It can get a little creepy I guess, staring out into the voidless abyss of the ocean, but it's not a jump scare type of thing. Just be sure you buy it on the Steam store and NOT on the oculus store. On the steam side you can go into the experimental branch (Just right click on the game, then choose properties, then click on the betas tab, then choose experimental) This is being updated every day, sometimes multiple times a day and has the newest features. It's an incredible game, I can't wait till it gets fully released so I can actually play through it all.

subnautica is waaaay to choppy for me. the frame drops kill the experience. otherwise it would be awesome. I'm running a 1070

Zalusithix

I never played the game before the update, but I managed to get the ball suck between the hexagonal plates. It didn't bounce back, and the ability to pull the ball in to the racket didn't dislodge it. Wonder what the chances are to have that happen within 15 minutes of play lol. Pity I didn't have OBS running at the time to record it.

low-G

I never played the game before the update, but I managed to get the ball suck between the hexagonal plates. It didn't bounce back, and the ability to pull the ball in to the racket didn't dislodge it. Wonder what the chances are to have that happen within 15 minutes of play lol. Pity I didn't have OBS running at the time to record it.

Interesting, well the plates having depth is a new feature. Still Early Access. I'd definitely report it somewhere (on their forums on Steam?)

Top Bottom