• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

Lakuza

Finally finished Climbey, which was very cool but I felt like wearing out the trigger on the controllers, I want to play this with the knuckles controllers!

-

Also played Belko VR - An Escape Room Experiment which was free on Steam. I didn't know that was part of a movie pr campaign, but it was very well done... and also extremely short. But I wont complain as it didn't cost me anything.

oh, was interested in trying the escape room out (i enjoyed this genre alot on gear vr). Glad to hear its well done :)

Been having a ton of fun with Mortal Blitz, still need to check out Just In Time Incorporated and I'm deff gonna get Gunheart along with Trails of Cold Steel when I get home from work.

We should group up for a Co-Op game of Gunheart at some point if we can work around everyone's schedule.

oh, was interested in trying the escape room out (i enjoyed this genre alot on gear vr). Glad to hear its well done :)

I own pretty much every escape room game on Steam so I'll install a few and let you know how they are, just haven't gotten to them all yet since there are almost too many good VR games >.>

Lakuza

We should group up for a Co-Op game of Gunheart at some point if we can work around everyone's schedule.
Count me in :) co-op is really fun in this :D (have the same name in game as i do here)

I own pretty much every escape room game on Steam so I'll install a few and let you know how they are, just haven't gotten to them all yet since there are almost too many good VR games >.>

wondermega

Finally finished Climbey, which was very cool but I felt like wearing out the trigger on the controllers, I want to play this with the knuckles controllers!

-

Also played Belko VR - An Escape Room Experiment which was free on Steam. I didn't know that was part of a movie pr campaign, but it was very well done... and also extremely short. But I wont complain as it didn't cost me anything.

Fun fact, Belko is by the same guys who made Jackal Assault for PSVR (friends of mine) - also free btw

Banzai

What are some really athmospheric single player games? I would love a RPG with sword fighting and stuff.
I know there's Chronos but I'm honestly not a fan of third person VR games.

What are some really athmospheric single player games? I would love a RPG with sword fighting and stuff.

Vanishing Realms has great melee combat and is a very immersive setting. Feels a bit like Grimrock.

Lakuza

lone echo is really done in terms being atmospheric and immersive. It's not an rpg though.
only rpg styled game i've got right now is mage's tale(no sword fighting unfortunately), whilst a bit on the cartoony side its quite well done. I often forget how cool looking the dungeon walls are with water trickling down them whenever i jump back in.

Mascot

I'm looking for seated (or static standing) joypad game/experience recommendations please chaps. I bought my Rift for sim racing so sold the Touch controllers and extra sensor. My racing cockpit is in a small dedicated box room but I can stand up behind the seat if necessary.

I'm looking for seated (or static standing) joypad game/experience recommendations please chaps. I bought my Rift for sim racing so sold the Touch controllers and extra sensor. My racing cockpit is in a small dedicated box room but I can stand up behind the seat if necessary.

I usually avoid VR games that don't have motion controller support so I don't really know what's good and what isn't.
The only game that comes to mind is Narcosis, if you like underwater/deep sea with a bit of tension (I've read they are trying to get motioncontrollers to work in that game too, might have to give it a replay if they are successful)

Lakuza

The ones that i can think of right now are:

Chronos (uses xbox controller)
edge of nowehere (insomniac games) -i think this xbox controller
dirt rally (im assuming you already have this)
Alien Isolation VR mod

Mage's tale can be played seated and standing but requires touch controllers.
Gun heart can be played seated but requires touch controllers.
Lone echo can be played seated (but you'll be missing out on alot of immersion) but also requires touch controllers.

You're super limited since you sold the touch controllers unfortunately since some seated games use the touch controller when its first person based.

Tain

CHRONOS and BATTLEZONE my dude, they're really good

Thumper
Elite Dangerous (recommend a HOTAS, but I played with a controller for about a year before upgrading)
Race the Sun

Other than that I only play motion controller games. Thumper is great though, get that!

This looks cool. The artificial movement solution seems like it'd be really comfortable.

Sublevel Zero Redux is a good one. It's basically Decent with some rougelike elements in it.

So I installed TriDef VR... very underwhelmed so far. I tried Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, StarWars Battlefront, Battlefield 1..... It's basically a big floating screen (ala Virtual Desktop/BigScreen Beta/all other copycats) With 3D effects enabled so some stuff "pops out at you" a bit. Is is all there is? I tried VorpX back in 2014 and 2016 and it was full VR 3D integrated (not the best, but much better than TriDef so far) I'd install VorpX and try it again, but having to deal with emailing them everytime I install that software is just a pain.

Lakuza

so killing floor: incursion is up for pre-order with a small discount. Anyone familiar with the killing floor series or anyone following this game?

Yes, that's how it works, supposedly better effect is achieved in third person games.

Bummer. Because It's not worth it at all and the frame rate is really really bad right now. There is a weird jelly affect sometimes when you move your head around and other just weird issues..like, even though it says its rendering the headset at 90FPS and the game at well above 120fps it has had frame drops, like barely unplayable when you enlarge the virtual screen... Also before anyone says it's my PC, it's not, 7700K @4.8ghz, 32GB, GTX 1080ti.

I'm really glad it has a free trial because having a virtual screen that has a 3D effect is not worth even the $20 a year asking price. I will say this though, the start screen of Bioshock Infinte did look really neat, with a almost diorama effect, but loading up those games did not do anything for me at all.

Plasma

Banned
so killing floor: incursion is up for pre-order with a small discount. Anyone familiar with the killing floor series or anyone following this game?

They're wave based survival games where you shoot monsters, the VR game has a campaign though.

Lakuza

They're wave based survival games where you shoot monsters, the VR game has a campaign though.

i've been doing reading on the game. My main issue was that it's being shown off with teleport gameplay only. It does have free locomotion though which is good. Also since its a campaign based game, I'm tempted to buy it but I want to know the campaign length first.

EDIT: a dev said in one interview that it has a 4-6 hour campaign with puzzle solving, survival horror. The game doesn't have manual reloading, instead I believe its similar to robo recall. a gun always spawns at your hips if you drop it.

still on the fence for this, would have preferred it to be a longer campaign and its the same price as arizona sunshine which i also passed on for being completable in 3-4 hours.

Lakuza

Gates of nowhere and Rise of Insanity out on Steam today

Gate of nowhere looked interesting, but it seems like its quite rough compared to more recent early access games. Also the movement is teleport based, where you have to wait for a ghost version of yourself to walk to the point you want to go to so its a delayed teleport system. The devs did mention full locomotion in a later patch for the game though.

Rise of insanity seems to be pretty short but the pricing seems to take that into account.

Rangi is now on Steam looks kinda cool.

-

Also played The Red Stare quite a bit. I was always saying a Rear Window type of game would be cool in VR. What could be improved is how the NPCs walk about the house and the back alley, it all looks a little bit too random and thus unnatural. I have also trouble discerning them which I partly blame that random behaviour for.
As the game is for free I can look past these things tho.
It's not a fully realized Rear Window VR game as I would have imagined it, I'm not sure I could design such a game myself but I feel like you need binoculars and a crime/murder story for it ;)

Soi-Fong

Just got the Acer Mixed Reality Headset in as well at work along with the HP headset we got a few days ago.

Man inside-out positional tracking is crazy! I haven't noticed any latency walking around with these things on and have not been able to break them yet unless I cover both cameras. It's exciting to see that we're getting to this point where external sensors and such might not even be needed any more soon.

Have only tried both for a few hours, but I'm impressed with what both companies have been able to put out.

KuLSZGI.jpg

Just got the Acer Mixed Reality Headset in as well at work along with the HP headset we got a few days ago.

Man inside-out positional tracking is crazy! I haven't noticed any latency walking around with these things on and have not been able to break them yet unless I cover both cameras. It's exciting to see that we're getting to this point where external sensors and such might not even be needed any more soon.

Have only tried both for a few hours, but I'm impressed with what both companies have been able to put out.

Inside-out tracking will make VR setups so much more simple, that's great that it seems to work well.

Lakuza

I'm assuming the controllers would have their own sensors similar to the headset, right?

Also do the headsets use openvr?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming the controllers would have their own sensors similar to the headset, right?

Also do the headsets use openvr?

I think... the headset tracks the controllers? So you have to be looking at the controllers for them to track.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty sure they use an external camera for the controllers ala the Rift.

Thats good to hear! I swear I read something somewhere that the headset does it too. Maybe its both! Thatd be slick!

Im gonna look up an in depth review of the these things later on tonight.

Thats good to hear! I swear I read something somewhere that the headset does it too. Maybe its both! Thatd be slick!

Im gonna look up an in depth review of the these things later on tonight.

Wait. No I just looked it up and you were right the first time (LINK). The headset tracks the controllers as long as they're in view of the sensors (which apparently has a slightly larger FOV than your actual FOV).

Mathrin

So, my Rift + Touch pack arrived last night, and honestly I cannot believe how...indescribable it actually is. The "tutorial" that you play when setting up the rift is great fun. Downloaded Robo Recall as it was included and that blew my mind even more.

Having a hard time understanding just how the Touch controllers know when my finger is even near a button, let alone pushing it...

I can see this being something I get a lot of use out of for sure. Once Robo Recall has been done - I'll start working through the recommendations on here for various games. Got my eye on Superhot VR for certain.

So, my Rift + Touch pack arrived last night, and honestly I cannot believe how...indescribable it actually is. The "tutorial" that you play when setting up the rift is great fun. Downloaded Robo Recall as it was included and that blew my mind even more.

Having a hard time understanding just how the Touch controllers know when my finger is even near a button, let alone pushing it...

I can see this being something I get a lot of use out of for sure. Once Robo Recall has been done - I'll start working through the recommendations on here for various games. Got my eye on Superhot VR for certain.

Nice, yeah, VR is pretty hard to actually describe, it's just something you need to try for yourself to really understand how incredible it is.

As for the touch buttons, it's capacitave. SuperHot VR is really enjoyable too. I'd say stick with buying everything on Steam and only grabbing stuff on the oculus store for exclusive stuff.

Here's a teaser trailer for the Dead Effect 2 devs new game TAUCETI: Uknown Origin which they say will get VR support.

Core features:
  • Cooperative game for up to 8 players
  • Solo, group and raid content
  • Class-based game
  • PvE and PvP game modes
  • A strong story, following up of our previous games
  • Open Word game with a lot of opportunities (to explore, harvest, craft, upgrade, build base)
  • RPG elements (ability, gear sets, a ton of upgradable weapons, and so on)

Plasma

Banned
I really like Echo Arena but goddamn the matchmaking in that game is fucking awful. It's so rare to actually get a balanced match.

iosefe

I really like Echo Arena but goddamn the matchmaking in that game is fucking awful. It's so rare to actually get a balanced match.
Yeah. Kinda bad. I've had had levels 50 that were playing like mentors though, but they were rare

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Outside of matchmaking issues, Echo Arena is the most rewarding game there is in VR to me and everyone should play it. Surprised that there isn't more talk about it on here.

Top Bottom