• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to loose tummy fat is the worst

Same boat buddy, as in, im trying my damdest to trim my mid section.

I go gym 3-5 times a week, 2 with personal trainer, im working much harder then i ever have, yet i found losing fat much easier in my 20s. Early 30s now, not nearly getting the same results. Though I got to admit i do eat and drink more dairy then previously, my latte's and cappachinos intake has increased drastically.

My legs and back have blown up nicely, but stomach remains. Im now convinced the sure way to lose fat is calorie counting and to be consistent. Might look into it.

Your trainer doesn't have you on any kind of nutrition plan? You're just trying to brute Force it through exercise?

Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym. No amount of working out will give you a six pack, it's based on body fat. Of course if you have zero ab muscle, you can sculpt your abs and obliques a bit by doing a regular routine.

SoundLad

Reduce calorie intake - it's the only way to reduce body fat %.
Throw in some cardio or weightlifting to speed up the process if you like and be patient. Working well for me!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I had an elbow injury back in December which pretty much put a stop to my trips to the gym. Since I wasn't going to the gym, I felt there was no need to eat a caloric surplus anymore. As a result, I lost quite a bit of weight and my gut, which was pretty big on my otherwise skinny frame, flattened out quite a bit (and surprisingly enough, I did keep most of my muscle mass).

You probably don't want to do what I did, but the key is definitely losing more weight. There's no such thing as a weight plateau.

Same boat buddy, as in, im trying my damdest to trim my mid section.

I go gym 3-5 times a week, 2 with personal trainer, im working much harder then i ever have, yet i found losing fat much easier in my 20s. Early 30s now, not nearly getting the same results. Though I got to admit i do eat and drink more dairy then previously, my latte's and cappachinos intake has increased drastically.

My legs and back have blown up nicely, but stomach remains. Im now convinced the sure way to lose fat is calorie counting and to be consistent. Might look into it.

Seems like a simple fix on paper. I know changing your diet is horrible, but if you're putting 3-5 days busting ass and aren't seeing the results its because you eat like crap.

Intermittent fasting or just fasting and HIIT. Please don't reduce your calorie intake. That's just bad advice. The only thing you need to take out of your diet is processed carbohydrates.

But being in a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight? You can eat junk food all you want while still losing weight—as long as you're under your TDEE, though this wouldn't be healthy if that's all you're eating.

As for the OP, you just have to keep eating less and doing cardio. If you want to go into the specifics, use this TDEE calculator, subtract 500, launch a calorie tracker like MyFitnessPal, and start tracking your food intake and aim for that 500 calorie deficit each day. Perhaps there were a lot of days you went over your TDEE, hence not being able to see results consistently.

dani_dc

How's your posture?

A bad posture gives emphasis to the gut.

Try doing some glutes and lower back exercises and don't forget to do static stretches as well.

From my experience men tend to overlook those sets of muscles and exercises.

Levito

Banned
I've gone from 340lbs all the way down to 175lbs and put on 20 lbs of muscle in the past few years and lemme tell ya losing body fat on the is section is a motherfucker.

If calorie counting gets tough, I will shill for soylent for a second. It's cut down grocery costs and makes meals fast while being easy to measure out

How's your posture?

A bad posture gives emphasis to the gut.

Try doing some glutes and lower back exercises and don't forget to do static stretches as well.

From my experience men tend to overlook those sets of muscles and exercises.

Squats, Deadlifts. That shit goes a long way in building muscle and burning calories.

I've been stuck at 175lbs since I started half marathon training again. I am probably eating too much right now but it's constant hunger running 35 miles/week minimum heh.

Hypron

How tall are you? If you're 6' or shorter you need to be packing quite a bit of muscle to have abs at 175lbs.

That's only partially true. You still need to do an intense ab workout to get them looking all large and ripped.

The statement "abs are made in the kitchen" is most often used by relatively high bf% gym goers who likely have decent abdominal muscle-mass hidden under ~20-25% bf.

Since being "ripped" is a product of the ratio of musclemass to bf%, the statement obviously won't be true for very "just fat" or very skinny people starting from scratch.

Peltz

Squats, Deadlifts. That shit goes a long way in building muscle and burning calories.

Yoga too.

The statement "abs are made in the kitchen" is most often used by relatively high bf% gym goers who likely have decent abdominal muscle-mass hidden under ~20-25% bf.

Since being "ripped" is a product of the ratio of musclemass to bf%, the statement obviously won't be true for very "just fat" or very skinny people starting from scratch.

Yea... probably. I just know, when I have been hitting my abs hard, vs. slacking, there's a tremendous difference in definition. They're really just like any muscle. Sure you can have definition without working them hard, but most mortals need to work them very very hard to get them to truly pop.

I disagree with those that posit there is no such thing as a weight loss plateau. It can be minor, but weight fluctuates every day. I can maintain a 1000 calorie deficit for two weeks and stay the same weight. I'll suddenly shed four pounds overnight. That's just how water weight goes.
The caveat is that I track my calorie intake religiously. I also take the average of my weight across many days and weigh myself at the same time each day.

Stomach fat is often the last to go, so just keep losing weight and you'll get there. I've cut from 203 lbs to 174 since June and the stomach fat is starting to go away now. Probably still need another 10 lbs off to get rid of most of it.

People get too hung up on weighing themselves, especially when it gets to be every day. With yourself once a week if you must but get a measuring tape. Especially true for those incorporating cardio or weight training.

I need the same advice, but tailored to a 40 year-old. I hit 40 and my metabolism seemed to notice. I used to be able to do tweaks to my diet and up my exercise slighly and shed 10 lbs. Now I do that and I'm going through all the misery of a restricted diet while my weight is stubbornly flatlined.

Aging sucks.

You doing strength training or just cardio? If just cardio, substitute some of it for strength training. It's the gift that keeps on giving as far as metabolism is concerned. You don't need to be a maniac to see the benefits, either.

Weckum

People often hate to be told the truth.

The most important part of getting in shape is to care about what you eat, Nutrition is 80% of the work you need to do.

Sure, but core excercises and ab workouts still matter if you want your abs to pop.

And I feel you OP, I'm in the same boat. Used to be 235lbs, around 180lbs now. Lost most of it by not eating as much/not drinking my calories. Working out now (mix of cardio/hiit and strength). I've been in the best shape I've ever been at 30 years but I still have a gut even tho I'm not fat by any means :(

The problem you've described is what happens with my ass. I'm 175 pounds and lost a bunch of weight to get there, but still have a bit of a fat ass.
You're complaining like it's a bad thing.. :3

Jokes aside, I've recently gained quite a lot of belly due to me drowning in beer and junk food.

So best course of action is to:

- Watch for diet/calories
- Work out your entire body

No need to be selective with workout?

Rad-

I wouldn't mind if the fat was just on my tummy but for me it's my love handles. At one point I lost way too much weight because I wanted to get rid of them (went from 84kg to 66kg, pretty much lost all my muscles. I'm 186cm tall) but my love handles were still there. Then I just gave up and started bulking again. That was like 5-6 years ago. Now I'm back to ~84kg after years of slowly gaining it and working out.

Outdated advice. The carbohydrate - insulin hypothesis is dead in the water, and conversion of carbs to fat is rare.

Please provide detailed information/links. More and more research seems to be pointing out that saturated fats in the diet is good and not a bad thing. We know that high levels of protein can also be insulogenic but processed carbohydrates are the worse. The most logical evidence has pointed to hormonal issues such as insulin and leptin resistance leading to obesity. When the diet is adjusted to non-processed foods people get better.

If we're back to counting calories again we're dumbing down nutritional science back to what hasn't worked since it's inception.

cacildo

I went from 253lbs in may
To 174lbs now

Still have a fat tummy and love handles (i really think "love handles" its an incredibly funny expression) even if a lot smaller now...

The thing is, i dont care anymore.
I do look good now, but i will never look perfect.
Ill keep my diet because its healthy (and cheap) and my cardio/strenght excercises
But aside from that, i can live with my looks now

wachie

I need the same advice, but tailored to a 40 year-old. I hit 40 and my metabolism seemed to notice. I used to be able to do tweaks to my diet and up my exercise slighly and shed 10 lbs. Now I do that and I'm going through all the misery of a restricted diet while my weight is stubbornly flatlined.

Aging sucks.
That is depressing.

But being in a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight? You can eat junk food all you want while still losing weight—as long as you're under your TDEE, though this wouldn't be healthy if that's all you're eating.

As for the OP, you just have to keep eating less and doing cardio. If you want to go into the specifics, use this TDEE calculator, subtract 500, launch a calorie tracker like MyFitnessPal, and start tracking your food intake and aim for that 500 calorie deficit each day. Perhaps there were a lot of days you went over your TDEE, hence not being able to see results consistently.

You may lose weight initially but eventually your body will recognize that your calorie input does not equal your calorie output and it will lower your basal metabolic rate according.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

The amazing thing is that the "researchers" are shocked by this. I mean nutritional science is their one job. That goes to show you that people are still stuck on ideas on weight loss that have been prevalent for several decades but do not actually work.

It's also interesting that the more people tried to calorie restrict in the more hungry or ravenous you get. Hunger hormones such as ghrelin increases in the chronic phase of calorie restriction while general satiety hormones reduce. Your brain is almost diverted to constantly thinking about food to hit it's quota so to speak.

Beardz

Aging sucks.

This is related to your muscle mass, try to gain more muscle and you will lose fat % eating what you normally eat.

brawly

People often hate to be told the truth.

The most important part of getting in shape is to care about what you eat, Nutrition is 80% of the work you need to do.

And if you want to actually see your abs (short for abdominal muscles), then you still need to do exercises to make them grow, just like every other muscle group.

There ain't a good looking bodybuilder on this planet who doesn't work out their abs.

Locke562

Intermittent fasting or just fasting and HIIT. Please don't reduce your calorie intake. That's just bad advice. The only thing you need to take out of your diet is processed carbohydrates.
What? A calorie deficit is the only way you can lose weight. Sure, you can do it through exercise but it’s much easier through diet and it’s still calories in calories out.

YuShtink

I've been going pretty hard on ab and core exercises in the last few months to try to get rid of some of the excess gut left from losing over 100 lbs last year. It's rough and slow going but it's happening. Starting to see a six pack under the extra skin but I still have a ways to go. The unforunate truth for some of us is that we just have to bust our asses for it more than others. Not gonna stop me after I've come this damned far lol. Still looking and feeling way better than I ever imagined was possible just 16 months ago.

I've dropped 65 pounds in the last 12 months and I still look dumpy at 6'3" and 205.

Arms and legs are great but you can barely see my abs and I carry my fat high (chest, under arms)

If I upped my cardio time I bet I could get rid of it but I'm not trying to impress anyone right now. I'm happy I've lost the weight.

EYEL1NER

Please stop saying "tummy."
vIxsyqc.jpg

Lmo911

I've been averaging 1800-1500 calories a day for ages now and my body has pretty much given up on losing weight. At one time I was down to 210 from 230, but since I've basically fluctuated from 225-230 and my diet hasn't changed much at all.

I work out a few times a week, but I have issues with my retina that stop me from really pushing too hard. (I'd like to be healthy, but I also like not being blind, so it's a balancing act.)

It's quite annoying and disheartening. I'm not even trying for perfect, I'd just like to not have all my weight in my mid section.

Roubjon

I've dropped 65 pounds in the last 12 months and I still look dumpy at 6'3" and 205.

Arms and legs are great but you can barely see my abs and I carry my fat high (chest, under arms)

If I upped my cardio time I bet I could get rid of it but I'm not trying to impress anyone right now. I'm happy I've lost the weight.

I also lost 65 pounds in the last 12 months and I also look dumpy at 6' at 205. The only difference is that all the extra weight is in my stomach area and thighs. My arms, upper body, and legs are fine, but I'm looking forward to seeing my mid section shrink over the next 30 pounds.

SoundLad

You may lose weight initially but eventually your body will recognize that your calorie input does not equal your calorie output and it will lower your basal metabolic rate according.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

The amazing thing is that the "researchers" are shocked by this. I mean nutritional science is their one job. That goes to show you that people are still stuck on ideas on weight loss that have been prevalent for several decades but do not actually work.

It's also interesting that the more people tried to calorie restrict in the more hungry or ravenous you get. Hunger hormones such as ghrelin increases in the chronic phase of calorie restriction while general satiety hormones reduce. Your brain is almost diverted to constantly thinking about food to hit it's quota so to speak.

I don't think this applies for the general population. For example, Danny Cahill lost 239 pounds in just 7 months. That's not a healthy way to lose weight and I believe something that extreme would indeed shock the body/metabolism in unprecedented ways.
When you lose weight your TDEE decreases. Calorie intake should then be reduced again, if further weight loss is needed.

Top Bottom