• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COVID 19 has led me to redefine myself

Banned
Tossing a lot of this clothing is proving more difficult than I anticipated. Whatever the stupid part of my brain is that gets sentimental for concert shirts or pajama pants gifted to me by an ex can rot in Hell. Makes it hard to stay objective.

locations around me have dumpster style donation where you drop it off and insert with a pull out handle

farmerboy

From what I've read, my state of Michigan is under fairly strict lockdown compared to a majority of the country. As a result, I've been spending a lot of time in self reflection, practicing mindful meditation, and just deciding who it is I want to be in my 30s vs who I was in my 20s.

One of my biggest character flaws is that I'm just sort of all fucking over the place as an individual. A real jack of all trades, and master of none. I feel like I'm stepping in all these directions and none of them are leading me anywhere because the next second I'm turned around and headed somewhere else.

With that said...

1. I've already made a thread about it, but I've quit buying dumb shit. There aren't any exceptions to this policy.

2. I'm tossing out 90% of my wardrobe. I'd donate it, but COVID 19, and I'm lazy. I have so many articles of clothing I don't even like. Tossing most of my band tees also. As a 30 year old dude, I really dont feel the need to walk around in some gruesome death metal tee.

I'm sticking with my black and grey plain tees and some dressier shirts for the office. Maybe a couple flannels and a few sweatshirts also (this is Michigan after all). Everything else must go.

3. I've gotten real strict with my diet again, and I'm lifting weight and doing cardio. I refuse to be a fat fuck. My BMI says I'm 5 lbs overweight but I feel morbidly obese. I want muscle definition and you bet your ass I'm going to get it.

4. I'm reading a lot now. Just the books I already have and never got around to. Whether its literature or comics, reading relaxes me in ways that few other activities can.

5. I'm practicing my guitar for a change. I suck ass, but it's cool to mess around with. I'm also planning on taking my DSLR camera out on warmer and refreshing my basic photography skills. I'm intrigued by bird photography but am unsure if my lenses are long enough.

I want to be a simpler person overall. No more bullshit.

Meh. Idk what I'm getting at really.

Anyone else re examining their lives as a result of this?

Do all this, (maybe keep the t's😉), and you will surely reap the rewards.

Good luck mate.

kingbean

From what I've read, my state of Michigan is under fairly strict lockdown compared to a majority of the country. As a result, I've been spending a lot of time in self reflection, practicing mindful meditation, and just deciding who it is I want to be in my 30s vs who I was in my 20s.

One of my biggest character flaws is that I'm just sort of all fucking over the place as an individual. A real jack of all trades, and master of none. I feel like I'm stepping in all these directions and none of them are leading me anywhere because the next second I'm turned around and headed somewhere else.

With that said...

1. I've already made a thread about it, but I've quit buying dumb shit. There aren't any exceptions to this policy.

2. I'm tossing out 90% of my wardrobe. I'd donate it, but COVID 19, and I'm lazy. I have so many articles of clothing I don't even like. Tossing most of my band tees also. As a 30 year old dude, I really dont feel the need to walk around in some gruesome death metal tee.

I'm sticking with my black and grey plain tees and some dressier shirts for the office. Maybe a couple flannels and a few sweatshirts also (this is Michigan after all). Everything else must go.

3. I've gotten real strict with my diet again, and I'm lifting weight and doing cardio. I refuse to be a fat fuck. My BMI says I'm 5 lbs overweight but I feel morbidly obese. I want muscle definition and you bet your ass I'm going to get it.

4. I'm reading a lot now. Just the books I already have and never got around to. Whether its literature or comics, reading relaxes me in ways that few other activities can.

5. I'm practicing my guitar for a change. I suck ass, but it's cool to mess around with. I'm also planning on taking my DSLR camera out on warmer and refreshing my basic photography skills. I'm intrigued by bird photography but am unsure if my lenses are long enough.

I want to be a simpler person overall. No more bullshit.

Meh. Idk what I'm getting at really.

Anyone else re examining their lives as a result of this?

Are we the same person?

I just got rid of almost all of my branded clothes, started eating right and exercising again.
My new Marshall amp just arrived in the mail and I'm planning on getting a new Ibanez RG to go with my LTD Viper guitar.

teezzy

Banned
Are we the same person?

I just got rid of almost all of my branded clothes, started eating right and exercising again.
My new Marshall amp just arrived in the mail and I'm planning on getting a new Ibanez RG to go with my LTD Viper guitar.

Close enough lol. Whaddup fam

20200512-190316.jpg

kingbean

Close enough lol. Whaddup fam

20200512-190316.jpg

My 7 string is a Dean avalanche, but it's in the closet right now. I used to have a Ibanez 2x12 for minor gigging back in highschool and college but it got sold off in the great depression of 2008 along with my Jackson SL-1 soloist US custom shop D:

dEyCCsS.jpg

teezzy

Banned
My 7 string is a Dean avalanche, but it's in the closet right now. I used to have a Ibanez 2x12 for minor gigging back in highschool and college but it got sold off in the great depression of 2008 along with my Jackson SL-1 soloist US custom shop D:

dEyCCsS.jpg

That Ibanez stack is garbo but the hed works. I'm gonna try and snag a Peavey cab to plug it into. Yea I actually bought the 7 string first as an overzealous beginner, not realizing I wasnt sharp enough to learn the basics on it. Hence that surfy 80s Yahama.

You're a metal guy too?

teezzy

Banned
Plain tees from Old Navy are like a quarter of the price. Who are you still trying to impress.

I just started feeling sillier and sillier in mine over the years. Same goes for my studded jacket with patches all over it. Still appreciate the aesthetic, but it screams man baby as much as gamer tees do. I dont need my clothing to vouch for my interests.

Nymphae

Banned
I just started feeling sillier and sillier in mine over the years. Same goes for my studded jacket with patches all over it. Still appreciate the aesthetic, but it screams man baby as much as gamer tees do. I dont need my clothing to vouch for my interests.

I didn't mean to be too harsh lol. We all rock some tees for something we enjoy, I got a few of the Uniqlo Street Fighter 5 tees last year and still wear a few band shirts now and then. But in general they are too expensive and nowadays I'm fine with just buying plain clothes that are a fraction of the cost of being a volunteer billboard.

kingbean

That Ibanez stack is garbo but the hed works. I'm gonna try and snag a Peavey cab to plug it into. Yea I actually bought the 7 string first as an overzealous beginner, not realizing I wasnt sharp enough to learn the basics on it. Hence that surfy 80s Yahama.

You're a metal guy too?

Yessir, I play the metal as best as I can.

This is not even OP's final form.

But in all seriousness, this is great. Good to know you're feeling better about yourself and most importantly, looking after yourself.

I kinda went the other way. I got fatter and doing simple things around the house is causing me lower back pain. So when lockdown is over here in NZ, i will need to find a gym and eat healthier.

teezzy

Banned
I didn't mean to be too harsh lol. We all rock some tees for something we enjoy, I got a few of the Uniqlo Street Fighter 5 tees last year and still wear a few band shirts now and then. But in general they are too expensive and nowadays I'm fine with just buying plain clothes that are a fraction of the cost of being a volunteer billboard.

Plain tees appeal to me more. I saved a few more tasteful tees, but even so...

There's a distinct difference between being the hip twenty something and:

tenor.gif

I'm middle management in an office building, and care too much about maintaining my lawn. Screw it.

In March I had a mini-meltdown over all the shit I own and don't use. I went and got rid of 90% of my wardrobe, dumped all my collector crap such as a few random star wars toys and video game related garbage. I tossed all my physical media minus music as that is my main hobby. Going completely digital for books, games, movies has been a breath of fresh air for me.

Not everyone has to do this but honestly knowing who you are and what makes you happy is a huge step in the right direction. I am personally not against a material lifestyle but it was not manageable for me personally and so I simplified my life to what I really love and enjoy.

Best of luck OP. Always look at ways to improve and always read.

Edit: you will go through times in life in which you need a reset. Just challenge yourself and your beliefs and that will keep things in perspective for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom