• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anyone used "career coaches" before?

Anyone have insight into hiring a career coach? Did you find it beneficial?

After a successful 15+ year career in the vfx/animation/creative industry I've been out of work going on five months now and am feeling quite lost. I don't see an end in sight either.

I'm not sure if it's me, my resume & portfolio, or the industry...probably a bit of all three.

regardless - I'm looking for direction and assistance. Be it a career pivot or just getting back on the horse. Im perfectly cool with pivoting careers, but so far have no feedback other than rejections when I try to apply for something non-niche.

I've read a little on career coaches...but I'm quick to dissuade myself though, so am looking for anyone here with experience utilizing one.

nush

It's probably a grift.

I'm in the same situation as you. I've said it feels like online dating where you've put in all the work and get nowhere. I've reached the stage where I'm actually dumbing down my resume just in the hope it gets me work.

I've no had a single interview, so I don't even have feedback is to what is wrong with my resume to not get interviews. I've shown it to two people who say it looks fine.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have never felt the need. I guess it depends on your industry. But I would not need one.

They would tell me to talk less, but then I lose all my charm.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here’s some free coaching for you buddy. Take any job you can. Don’t matter if it’s being a creative or digging ditches. Take whatever you can get right now. Today. Then work on getting the job you really want. You’re 5 months on the bench. Don’t waste anymore time.
Yup. Thats my advice too, especially for anyone whose hurting for money.

Dont be proud and only go for the good jobs. My dad said the same thing. Take whatever job you get accepted for after university. You can always quit and find something better.

You dont want to have a big gap in employment unless you want to lie about employment duration, which I know lots of people do. I know tons of people fired, but on their Linkedin recap it makes it look like they transitioned from one job to another next month when in reality they got fired half a year ago. But hey if someone wants to fib go ahead and just pray the hiring manager doesn't find out if he asks around the indudtry about you.

Winter John

Gold Member
Yup. Thats my advice too, especially for anyone whose hurting for money.

Dont be proud and only go for the good jobs. My dad said the same thing. Take whatever job you get accepted for after university. You can always quit and find something better.

You dont want to have a big gap in employment unless you want to lie about employment duration, which I know lots of people do. I know tons of people fired, but on their Linkedin recap it makes it look like they transitioned from one job to another next month when in reality they got fired half a year ago. But hey if someone wants to fib go ahead and just pray the hiring manager doesn't find out if he asks around the indudtry about you.
For sure. I get where the op‘s at though. 15 years is a lot to lose. I guess reading this won’t make him feel any better, but I can absolutely 100% guarantee getting that first pay check under his belt will get him back on the road

Esca

Having a pro look over and redo your resume can honestly be worth it. One of me ex's knew how to do resumes really well. Every one she did for anybody I knew it helped a lot and they got a lot more interviews and jobs not long after. She redid mine and I decided to see if I could get better job offer. I had a new and much better job in about 6 weeks later

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
My friends have and they even found them projects for them which made them quite some money. It was IT related. I havent cuz im a loser but eh, one day I'll try one.

Tams

Here:
To thrive in the VFX/animation industry, focus on building a strong portfolio showcasing your diverse skills. Stay updated on industry trends and software advancements. Network with professionals, attend events, and join online communities to expand your connections. Continuous learning is key, so invest time in mastering new tools and techniques. Be adaptable, as the industry evolves rapidly. Cultivate good communication skills, as collaboration is crucial. Lastly, don't underestimate the power of persistence and passion in pursuing your goals.
- ChatGPT 3.5

Seriously though, write up your resume/cover letter yourself, run it through ChatGPT or the like, and if you can have a friend and/or family member read it over. Read it over yourself again.

Then just have your portfolio nicely presented, especially for a creative industry.

Don't waste your money on hiring someone to give you advice. Perhaps hiring someone experienced to read over and suggest edits to an resume/cover letter, but that should only be an hour or two of work to pay for.

Last edited:

Tams

Fuck it, I'll give it a shot.

Seriously, I have the job I'm in now thanks to doing that.

ChatGPT did try to rewrite it a few times, but it was easy enough to take the good bits out and integrate them.

Go for something like, 'How does the following cover letter for job/position X look? Please make some suggestions to improve it, but don't rewrite it. [cover letter inserted here]'

You don't need the 'please', that's just me.

You just need to be careful about integrating them as you can make silly grammatical mistakes or have jarring changes in tone. Rerunning through a LLM does help catch most of them.

Ultimately, you do need to reread and edit, ideally after a break, and ideally having someone else cast an eye over it too.

I will say, ChatGPT did suggest some good changes that the people I asked for help didn't, which impressed them.

nush

Seriously, I have the job I'm in now thanks to doing that.

ChatGPT did try to rewrite it a few times, but it was easy enough to take the good bits out and integrate them.

Go for something like, 'How does the following cover letter for job/position X look? Please make some suggestions to improve it, but don't rewrite it. [cover letter inserted here]'

You don't need the 'please', that's just me.

You just need to be careful about integrating them as you can make silly grammatical mistakes or have jarring changes in tone. Rerunning through a LLM does help catch most of them.

Ultimately, you do need to reread and edit, ideally after a break, and ideally having someone else cast an eye over it too.

I will say, ChatGPT did suggest some good changes that the people I asked for help didn't, which impressed them.

I did this over the weekend, it makes my CV read amazing. The content is still the same but it's like a whole professional thesaurus has worked it over. Thanks for the tip and I recommend other to try this too.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I did this over the weekend, it makes my CV read amazing. The content is still the same but it's like a whole professional thesaurus has worked it over. Thanks for the tip and I recommend other to try this too.

I've done mine!

Your Name][Your Address][City, State, ZIP Code][Email Address][Phone Number]

Objective:Enthusiastic and versatile professional seeking a challenging role that leverages my diverse skill set and experiences in lion taming, international espionage, men's underwear modeling, ninja techniques, and expertise in Warhammer 40k.

Professional Experience:

1. Lion Tamer
    • Worked with various big cats in a high-profile circus, demonstrating exceptional skills in controlling and training lions.
    • Ensured the safety of both the animals and the audience during performances.
    • Developed trust-based relationships with the lions through positive reinforcement and expert handling techniques.
  2. International Super Spy
    • Conducted covert operations in multiple countries, gathering crucial intelligence for national security.
    • Expertise in infiltration, surveillance, and counterintelligence activities.
    • Maintained discretion and adaptability in high-pressure situations, ensuring mission success.
  3. Men's Underwear Model
    • Posed for prominent men's fashion brands, showcasing their products through photoshoots and runway events.
    • Maintained a fit and healthy physique through regular exercise and adherence to a balanced diet.
    • Collaborated with photographers and stylists to capture the essence of each brand.
  4. Ninja
    • Trained in various martial arts disciplines with a focus on stealth, agility, and hand-to-hand combat.
    • Applied ninja techniques in real-world scenarios, emphasizing discipline and precision.
    • Demonstrated mastery in the use of traditional ninja weapons and tactics.
  5. Warhammer 40k Expert
    • Engaged in competitive and strategic gameplay within the Warhammer 40k community.
    • Developed an in-depth understanding of the game's rules, lore, and various factions.
    • Participated in tournaments and events, achieving recognition for strategic prowess and sportsmanship.
Education:

• Bachelor of Arts in International Relations[University Name], [City, State][Graduation Year]
Skills:

• Exceptional lion-taming and handling skills
  • Covert operations and intelligence gathering
  • Modeling and runway experience
  • Proficient in martial arts and ninja techniques
  • Strategic thinking and tactical expertise in Warhammer 40k
  • Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Languages:

• Fluent in English, [other languages if applicable]
References:

Available upon request.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Anyone have insight into hiring a career coach? Did you find it beneficial?

After a successful 15+ year career in the vfx/animation/creative industry I've been out of work going on five months now and am feeling quite lost. I don't see an end in sight either.

I'm not sure if it's me, my resume & portfolio, or the industry...probably a bit of all three.

regardless - I'm looking for direction and assistance. Be it a career pivot or just getting back on the horse. Im perfectly cool with pivoting careers, but so far have no feedback other than rejections when I try to apply for something non-niche.

I've read a little on career coaches...but I'm quick to dissuade myself though, so am looking for anyone here with experience utilizing one.

You done movies, ads, etc?

nush

It's probably a grift.

I'm in the same situation as you. I've said it feels like online dating where you've put in all the work and get nowhere. I've reached the stage where I'm actually dumbing down my resume just in the hope it gets me work.

I've no had a single interview, so I don't even have feedback is to what is wrong with my resume to not get interviews. I've shown it to two people who say it looks fine.

Tams Tams 6 hours later I got my first interview offer*. The AI CV/resume works. :messenger_open_mouth:

*I had to turn it down as the role required a car that the job spec didn't list.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I used one when I wanted to change industries. They did a great job formatting my resume and they tried to help me find a job but I found one on my own before they could do it. Was still a worthwhile two weeks.

Ownage

Your success with the use of a career coach depends on who they are. Joey Deeznuts off the Internet may have no clue about your profession, industry and best practices. Be sure and research coaches who specialize in your field. They'll have a better sense of what you face, such as ageism, sexism, racism, as well as identify industry skills gaps where you may be able to take advantage. Resume review is helpful but this should be only a small part of their core services. A good coach should also have a network where you may be introduced into a new scene if they want to vouch for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom