• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

Darchaos

I love when streamers, influencers takes a break from theire made up "jobs" in bizzaro world and go for a good ol Cripple fight!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Your source is Coreteks.....

wtf GIF
Yeah, I feel you there… whataboutism has commenced ;).

KaiserBecks

I love when streamers, influencers takes a break from theire made up "jobs" in bizzaro world and go for a good ol Cripple fight!
Gamers Nexus is neither. 20 years ago, when I was heavily interested in pc hardware, I had to buy a magazine if I wanted to get information similar to what he provides. And even back then things weren’t that detailed. The guy is a proper journalist.

peish

If someone who is clearly inferior to you has the nerve to take a jab at you, it is your absolute right to check em.

i didn't really view this saga in the details, the 'jab' part that im shown, is hardly one. just stating a matter of factly, something they are trying to do different, to have some manner of pushing each other in this field upwards

certainly not to the degree that steve likes to throw his self policing weight around in his mockumentaries.

this is why my opinion of him worsen, what a little guy who can't take a bit of competitive speak

Last edited:

Thyuda

i didn't really view this saga in the details, the 'jab' part that im shown, is hardly one. just stating a matter of factly, something they are trying to do different, to have some manner of pushing each other in this field upwards

certainly not to the degree that steve likes to throw his self policing weight around in his mockumentaries.

this is why my opinion of him worsen, what a little guy who can't take a bit of competitive speak
Everything has been completely blown out of proportion, as is internet tradition nowadays, it seems.

Topher

Gold Member
yeah keep in concise, or if you want to make 45mins video, i expect to see more charts and tips and tricks. not your silly hair flipping mocking

If you had watched any of Gamer Nexus' analysis/testing videos then you would know the amount of data he puts on the screen. The fact that all you can reference is his hair tells me you don't know much about his channel.

Last edited:

Kdad

Everything has been completely blown out of proportion, as is internet tradition nowadays, it seems.
Given LMG response to this is to stop production for at least a week and take stock of their issues, perhaps it isn't blown out of proportion. LMG, a 100 million dollar company, with 120 employees to pay, doesn't just shut down production for no reason.

GN TOLD LMG, on video over 11 months ago, that they would be subject to GN's editorialization and reporting on the same basis as GN reports on other large manufacturers in the PC space...the fact GN came out with this shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone paying attention to GN's shift in coverage of LMG back then.

Last edited:

Thyuda

Given LMG response to this is to stop production for at least a week and take stock of their issues, perhaps it isn't blown out of proportion. LMG, a 100 million dollar company, with 120 employees to pay, doesn't just shut down production for no reason.

GN TOLD LMG, on video over 11 months ago, that they would be subject to GN's editorialization and reporting on the same basis as GN reports on other large manufacturers in the PC space...the fact GN came out with this shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone paying attention to GN's shift in coverage of LMG back then.
They stopped production exactly because things got so brutally out of hand (and because Linus decided to give a knee jerk statement to GM's research). I'm not against that btw, I think this is the best thing that could've happened to LMG in the long run, but the issues still seem hugely overblown, if you put the Madison situation in a seperate category of course.

sncvsrtoip

I remember the video where apologized after he called out Tim Sweeney for singing PS5's praises. I just realized that he was using that video to get more hits and more money since they have a pretty big 25 videos per week quota to hit. he knew an apology video would get more views than their other videos so it was a calculated move.

Just like this video. We know what he really thinks thanks to that forum post.
On the other hand I remember Gamer Nexus briliant ps5 vs pc gpu comparison with conclusion that ps5 has gpu on pair with gtx1060 ;d

Topher

Gold Member
On the other hand I remember Gamer Nexus briliant ps5 vs pc gpu comparison with conclusion that ps5 has gpu on pair with gtx1060 ;d

That was just for DMC 5 and he was only testing 120fps mode. The other two games he tested were on par with 1070 ti and 1080 for Dirt 5 and Borderlands 3. Those were also very early games that had PS5 updates. I think if he retested today with a broader selection of games then he would probably have different results

winjer

Gold Member
GN needs to stick to what they're good at and not obnoxious rants about other channels.

And yes. They're not error proof either but I don't need an exposition piece to tell me that.

This was started not by GN, but by LTT.
It was LTT that started claiming that other channels had a bad methodology to test hardware, specifically naming GN. And it wasn't just a one off remark.
So GN did what they do best, and ripped a new one on LTT.

lmimmfn

It was LTT that started claiming that other channels had a bad methodology to test hardware, specifically naming GN. And it wasn't just a one off remark.
Frankly that LTT video where they claimed their methodology was better than GN was laughable. GN has a fantastic lab setup, they've been using it for years and is best in class for gpu acoustics, cooling and hotspots etc.
GN is and always has been the best site for those 3 params.

That LTT video claiming they're better than GN was probably what kicked this off for GN but it does make LTT look completely stupid along with the fact they have 0 experience yet in that field.

Last edited:

lmimmfn

A 1060 would have probably been close at the time as everything was crossgen, now VRAM has become extremely important when we have games targeted at PS5 and whatever the f*** the lastest/most powerful xbox is called.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
True points and Linus would have had a leash on his employee who stated something that lacked clarity at the time. Something which they transparently addressed in their video yesterday.

You can't just hold the pitchfork the whole time, you have to go back home sometime.

Great for Steve's overly snarky video and good for a big and great set of channels with content in LMG.

The truth is in the middle. Linus has been transparent to a fault throughout the years. I appreciate that more than some that just want to come in and hate or dogpile.

I'm here for informative and entertaining content on YouTube. That's why I love LMG and the suite of channels and GN's focused content. Not obnoxious rants about human error without being inside to have the full detail.

I'm going to watch a movie with the kids.

lmimmfn

True points and Linus would have had a leash on his employee who stated something that lacked clarity at the time. Something which they transparently addressed in their video yesterday.

You can't just hold the pitchfork the whole time, you have to go back home sometime.

Great for Steve's overly snarky video and good for a big and great set of channels with content in LMG.

The truth is in the middle. Linus has been transparent to a fault throughout the years. I appreciate that more than some that just want to come in and hate or dogpile.

I'm here for informative and entertaining content on YouTube. That's why I love LMG and the suite of channels and GN's focused content. Not obnoxious rants about human error without being inside to have the full detail.

Honestly, you should watch LTT for fun only, use other channels like GN or HU for informative content.

winjer

Gold Member

I think Linus and Luke also did the same during Wan shows.
It's not just some rogue employee.

Sleepwalker

Steve made a video pointing out inacuraccies and what he felt was terrible treatment of 2 startups by LMG. The video was long because he had many examples, not because he was mad. Linus has only claimed to be transparent to a fault but truth be told, we don't know. You don't know and I don't know unless you work for LMG yourself.

Steve replied in a second video saying he does not engage with bullshit and nonsense replies, then said he won't be addressing the topic anymore and moving on, which he did. Hardly holding a pitchfork.

Not Steve's fault that further allegations and problems have aroused, it IS LMG's fault (the employee represents the company during company hours), so if you're gonna throw rocks at glass houses you better hope your house is made of concrete.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

Steve made a video pointing out inacuraccies and what he felt was terrible treatment of 2 startups by LMG. The video was long because he had many examples, not because he was mad. Linus has only claimed to be transparent to a fault but truth be told, we don't know. You don't know and I don't know unless you work for LMG yourself.

Steve replied in a second video saying he does not engage with bullshit and nonsense replies, then said he won't be addressing the topic anymore and moving on, which he did. Hardly holding a pitchfork.

Not Steve's fault that further allegations and problems have aroused, it IS LMG's fault (the employee represents the company during company hours), so if you're gonna throw rocks at glass houses you better hope your house is made of concrete.
Let's hope we can all move on and find peace. LMG is already a far more entertianing channel which is going to get stronger with Labs and other stuff. GN is good at what they do. We can have both. Less obnoxious rants too.

Keihart

Honestly, you should watch LTT for fun only, use other channels like GN or HU for informative content.
i mean, when you just wanna watch benchmarks , might as well just see the user stats in a quick google search in sites like https://www.userbenchmark.com/
There is obviusly an audience for both styles of videos tho, personally i cant stand GN's videos, they are not only doing reviews and benchmarking products, they are super quick to jump in any drama related.

VN1X

Banned
Edit: Is he seriously trying to take the ethical high ground with his dodgy sponsorship deals and links to dubious key sellers?
Yeah had to laugh at that lol. In the same sentence as calling someone dodgy he goes and promotes grey market type sites.

I mean more power to those that use 'em but to actively promote them on a big platform where you're calling out someone's integrity is kind of funny.

I'm here for informative and entertaining content on YouTube. That's why I love LMG
and the suite of channels and GN's focused content. Not obnoxious rants about human error without being inside to have the full detail.
Well you can leave out the informative part with regards to LMG's content. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

Yeah had to laugh at that lol. In the same sentence as calling someone dodgy he goes and promotes grey market type sites.

I mean more power to those that use 'em but to actively promote them on a big platform where you're calling out someone's integrity is kind of funny.

Well you can leave out the informative part with regards to LMG's content. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You'll be ok!

Yeah, all of a sudden everyone and their grandma finds their balls and line up to confirm that Linus was really Satan in disguise all along. This bullshit is so 2017...

VN1X

Banned
Yeah, all of a sudden everyone and their grandma finds their balls and line up to confirm that Linus was really Satan in disguise all along. This bullshit is so 2017...
Not really. People are just calling out his hypocrisy and awful, overly emotional, responses. Even their company response video was in poor taste.

No one is saying he's "literally hitler"... just that he's a bit of a doofus and that they need to do better as a whole.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

Who gives a shit and why is that bad? If you don't want to work there don't sign the contract? Guy on the Internet states he want's to employ somebody, and goes though with it by sending the contract. Where is the drama?

This whole situation is so diffuse, Madison comes of as a highly unstable person (cutting herself so bad she had to go to the ER to not show up at work etc.), i really believe this whole situation is not as black and white as she makes it out to be, but in this day and age you have to believe unconditionally or get canceled.

TVexperto

Who gives a shit and why is that bad? If you don't want to work there don't sign the contract? Guy on the Internet states he want's to employ somebody, and goes though with it by sending the contract. Where is the drama?
Canada's privacy laws (like PIPEDA) require consent before disclosing personal information. Announcing someone as an employee without their approval might violate these laws.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Canada's privacy laws (like PIPEDA) require consent before disclosing personal information. Announcing someone as an employee without their approval might violate these laws.
How is that personal information? "I, sankt-Antonio, am going to hire TVexperto to work for me" is violating laws in Canada?

Top Bottom