• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Kysen

loving ios 11(ipad), so far encountered no bugs. Dock is great, spaces are great, split screen is much better and everything is so snappy.

Ambient80

Music app is irritating me sometimes. Even if the song is downloaded it will occasionally take 20-30 seconds to begin playing. Before anyone says it, yes I’ve reported it.

I like the idea of the Dock, I just wish I could really get in there to customize the Dock. At the very least, I want to go into Settings and prevent individual apps from showing in the Dock at all.

epmode

The thing that really bugs me about iPads and iOS 11 is that there's no easy way to activate split screen with an app that isn't currently in the dock.

Ashhong

Am I dumb or is there no way to swipe a notification? In order to open an email I have to force touch and then tap? No way to clear it or straight enter the app?

erawsd

loving ios 11(ipad), so far encountered no bugs. Dock is great, spaces are great, split screen is much better and everything is so snappy.

Yeah, going from a 1st Gen Air on iOS 10 to a 10.5 Pro on iOS11 is pretty mindblowing. I expected it to be better but not to this degree.

Am I dumb or is there no way to swipe a notification? In order to open an email I have to force touch and then tap? No way to clear it or straight enter the app?

No, there doesn't seem to be anyway of swiping. Its not clear if that is intended or if its just busted atm since it makes no sense to remove the swipe functionality.

Symphonia

Banned
There’s a small bug when it comes to swiping away/closing apps on the window pane on iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus. It will swipe away but not close the viewer, then when you press the home button it will reload the last closed app.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There’s a small bug when it comes to swiping away/closing apps on the window pane on iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus. It will swipe away but not close the viewer, then when you press the home button it will reload the last closed app.
Yes, I've mentioned this. App Switcher is completely broken. It's not a small bug. It's a pretty big one. So many false positives, sometimes the animation gets stuck, you can't always swipe an app off the screen. It's broken. Let's hope that was Apple's first area of focus for the next beta.

LeleSocho

Banned
I'm sending lots of bug reports to Apple, hopefully the more critical ones will be corrected by beta 2, living on betas is not easy...

Symphonia

Banned
Yes, I've mentioned this. App Switcher is completely broken. It's not a small bug. It's a pretty big one. So many false positives, sometimes the animation gets stuck, you can't always swipe an app off the screen. It's broken. Let's hope that was Apple's first area of focus for the next beta.
It's not a major inconvenience for me, more a slight annoyance. Everything else in the beta seems to be working for me.

Someone with iOS 10 want to test something for me?

Try to save a video someone shared with you on a shared photo stream. I’m 99% sure you couldn’t do it (I gave up trying on like 10.0).

You can on iOS 11. Which is a godsend for me with little kids and lots of videos.

Try to save a video someone shared with you on a shared photo stream. I’m 99% sure you couldn’t do it (I gave up trying on like 10.0).

You can on iOS 11. Which is a godsend for me with little kids and lots of videos.

Photo Streams are still a thing?

Appleman

Yep, it’s new in iOS 11

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's not a major inconvenience for me, more a slight annoyance. Everything else in the beta seems to be working for me.
Yeah, not a deal breaker and definitely something that will not go unnoticed, so it'll be fixed.

Still don't regret installing it. It's been quite usable for me on my 7+.

Unlike the High Sierra beta which I was thankfully able to recover from with only a few hours -- and no data -- lost. (Took forever to boot onto and clone from my slow as shit portable drive that I really need to replace with a portable SSD.)

DOWN

Banned
Is it worth it to put iOS 11 beta on my new iPad pro 10.5?
How essential is the iPad to your daily life? If you absolutely need it for work or do most of your general iOS communicating and more on it, you may want to wait. If it is secondary to your iPhone and is more of a home recreation device, then go for it.

You just shouldn't install a beta on a device if you rely on it as a primary device and are not well versed in restoring the device if something goes wrong. Nobody can guarantee you will have a relatively smooth beta experience, and you could encounter a significant or frustrating problem in betas more than anywhere else, so just be aware.

That said, I've never regretted installing betas. I am an Apple junkie and love to have their latest iOS features as soon as possible. Never had any serious issues besides maybe occasional lag and noticeable temporary drops in battery life that get resolved as the beta continues to update.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just got an iPad 10.5 to iOS 11. YouTube not working with PiP, is that an app limitation or OS bug?
I'm pretty sure Google locks all the good stuff that HTML5 can do behind their YouTube Red pay wall. You need it for background audio playing and I believe PIP was mentioned because fuck Google.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm just worried for the day YouTube figures out how to disable the Picture-in-Picture contextual menu option (Or the whole right-click menu itself) on the desktop YouTube player so I can't even use PIP on my MacBook anymore.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don’t like how often safari will pop up in a slide over when I hit a link in an email rather than opening full screen safari. I like the manual multitasking but I find that automatic part quite frustrating

I've signed up, but not enrolled any of my devices yet. I'm thinking about doing so on my iPad.

Where on the beta spectrum is this? Usable daily with occasional glitches, or more rough?

Guess Who

Banned
The new iPad UI takes some getting used to. I keep going back to the home screen or using the multitasking view to switch apps, forgetting I can just swipe up to the dock...

gamma

I'm pretty sure Google locks all the good stuff that HTML5 can do behind their YouTube Red pay wall. You need it for background audio playing and I believe PIP was mentioned because fuck Google.

I'm just worried for the day YouTube figures out how to disable the Picture-in-Picture contextual menu option (Or the whole right-click menu itself) on the desktop YouTube player so I can't even use PIP on my MacBook anymore.

I just got an iPad 10.5 to iOS 11. YouTube not working with PiP, is that an app limitation or OS bug?

Use PiPifier for YouTube PiP in Safari on iOS. Don't know if it works on iOS 11 though.

erawsd

ProTube is also a pretty good alternative. It does PiP, background audio, 4k60, and blocks ads. I don’t know how it gets away with it, but I’ve been using it for a year or so with no issues. The UI is def of the like/hate variety though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Seems like my photos aren’t syncing across devices. Should I chock it up to the beta or is there a safe way to try and fix it?

Seems like my photos aren’t syncing across devices. Should I chock it up to the beta or is there a safe way to try and fix it?

My photo library syncing has been REALLY spotty, I’m just waiting for the next one to see if it clears up. It’s actually been really annoying (for now) because my iPhone is on 11 so it takes photos and videos in the new format (and I’m not changing it) which is working fine on my iPad which is also on 11, but I didn’t beta up my Mac so that can’t show the full resolution versions of the photos since it doesn’t know how to handle HEVC/HEIC yet

Guess Who

Banned
The new iPad UI takes some getting used to. I keep going back to the home screen or using the multitasking view to switch apps, forgetting I can just swipe up to the dock...

Related note: no wonder the iPad mini is on its way out, it feels way too small and cramped for a lot of the multitasking shit they're building these days. A crowded dock in portrait is downright tiny.

It's single-handedly pushing me towards a full-size iPad tbh

Vuze

Is 9to5mac loading extremely slow for anyone else? Certain other... entertainment 👀 sites have slowed down to a crawl too on iOS 11. All other sites I’ve browsed since upgrading seem to work fine, it’s quite peculiar.
9to5mac is fine on y iOS 10 phone and all other devices fwiw

Is 9to5mac loading extremely slow for anyone else? Certain other... entertainment 👀 sites have slowed down to a crawl too on iOS 11. All other sites I’ve browsed since upgrading seem to work fine, it’s quite peculiar.
9to5mac is fine on y iOS 10 phone and all other devices fwiw

loads normally for me (iPad 10.5)

cjp

Can someone check if they've fixed this in iOS 11?

img_0442f1pd9.jpg

I reported this bug about the weather app showing daytime variant weather icons at nighttime back in 2015. They acknowledged it as a bug but have seemingly never fixed it and left the bug report open.

Can someone check if they've fixed this in iOS 11?

https://abload.de/img/img_0442f1pd9.jpg[img]

I reported this bug about the weather app showing daytime variant weather icons at nighttime back in 2015. They acknowledged it as a bug but have seemingly never fixed it and left the bug report open.[/QUOTE]

Does it happen 100% of the time? Because mine is showing up with the correct icons

Vuze

loads normally for me (iPad 10.5)
Hm, weird. I assumed it was perhaps because of some extra safari blocking or similar that's new to iOS 11. It's just on the iPad (which is using the same wifi settings as my phone), so it's definitely some sort of software issue. Hope it will be fixed in the next update.

Vuze

Praise the lord, apparently you can now close apps in the iPad app switcher by swiping the window upwards. I HATED the tap and hold. (Mine is updating rn, just going by some comments)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Awesome. Cant wait. Beta 1 of iOS 11 has been pretty good for me. Hopefully the main fixes are the biggest bugs I've seen. (The broken app switcher for one thing.)

Praise the lord, apparently you can now close apps in the iPad app switcher by swiping the window upwards. I HATED the tap and hold. (Mine is updating rn, just going by some comments)

The hold and press x method was just a bafflingly worse decision that somehow made it through

Top Bottom