• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

Gbraga

EDIT: Oh God, I didn't know there were Astraea haters in the world.

Finally found my crew! Astraea sucks!
(the song is incredible, though)

I guess so, but the boss isn't very fine lol I just can't do it.

For what it's worth, that's exactly how I felt about it for a while, but I just insisted long enough and things became a lot more manageable. It still took quite a few tries to beat it, but it no longer seemed to be impossible.

Toxi

Banned

I don't think it sucks. I think it's not a mechanically strong boss, but it's not really supposed to be; it's about the story presented.

Zocano

I would say you're terrible people with terrible opinions but I think O+S is an uninteresting fight in the worst (re: least good) Souls game so w/e.

Manu

One issue is that many of the more novel ideas have been reused so they no longer seem so novel.

For example, Ornstein and Smough was the first Souls boss to have a cutscene phase transition, and the first Souls boss to be two distinctly different opponents working together, and the first Souls gank boss where which enemy you kill determines the final phase.

All of those things have since been repeated in the series.

I agree. I think they did the best they could with DS3.

The Ringed City has some of the best vistas in the whole series, the bosses are mostly great to amazing, and... yeah, level design is ok, I'll give you that. It also answered some lingering questions about the lore while creating new ones because that's what Dark Souls does. I get some people are disappointed by the DLC, but calling it uninspired or creatively bankrupt is both ridiculous and disrespectful. Same goes for the main game imo, but that's opinions for you, I guess.

Ferr986

For what it's worth, that's exactly how I felt about it for a while, but I just insisted long enough and things became a lot more manageable. It still took quite a few tries to beat it, but it no longer seemed to be impossible.

I guess so, I'm just tired of everything being this spongey.

EDIT: Naaah I really give up. This goes to the trash where vanilla Ancient Dragon from DS2 is. Same bullshit.

Gbraga

I don't think it sucks. I think it's not a mechanically strong boss, but it's not really supposed to be; it's about the story presented.

SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

The final boss sucks too.

I would say you're terrible people with terrible opinions but I think O+S is an uninteresting fight in the worst (re: least good) Souls game so w/e.

This is only further confirmation that Astraea sucks!

I agree. I think they did the best they could with DS3.

The Ringed City has some of the best vistas in the whole series, the bosses are mostly great to amazing, and... yeah, level design is ok, I'll give you that. It also answered some lingering questions about the lore while creating new ones because that's what Dark Souls does. I get some people are disappointed by the DLC, but calling it uninspired or creatively bankrupt is both ridiculous and disrespectful. Same goes for the main game imo, but that's opinions for you, I guess.

I don't think "uninspired" is disrespectful at all.

And, honestly, going by his interviews, Miyazaki seems to agree. He even includes Bloodborne in the mix, which is surprising to me, but he kept saying things like "Bloodborne and Dark Souls III were not my decision to make, they were games that started development before I became president. I'll show what I can do with our next IP".

At the same time, it's quite exciting. If he can make something like Bloodborne because he has to, without particularly feeling like it's his baby, and "the game he wants to make", I can't even imagine what he has in store.

Fhtagn

Are people saying this was a disappointment?

I thought it was great. Much better than Ashes. The only disappointing thing for me was the ending, or lack thereof.

My twitter feed is full of people who flat out hate this DLC.

Main gripes are: pacing has no room to breathe, bosses have absurd hp pools, feels like it's built around an exaggerated "git gud" masocore.

Personally, I'm enjoying it enormously but feel like it's tuned way too hard. I've had to power level my vit to stop dying in three hits from even the trash mobs. It's a brickwall of difficulty if you try it with an endgame appropriate level 80 character and even at 110 it's brutal.

I've tossed out all my expectations and am doing a lot of summoning and am gonna keep leveling to 130-140 until I feel like my character is roughly where I'd want to be to solo this stuff.

But other folks, diehard fans of the series since 2009-2011, are really pissed at what Dark Souls has turned into.

Charitably, I blame Namco interference. Bloodborne didn't have any of these problems.

Toxi

Banned
I would say Dancer of the Boreal Valley is my favorite boss in Dark Souls 3 for a few reasons.

She has two phases, but they feel natural rather than "boss died, here's another health bar because it's harder."

Many of her attacks use delayed timings, so you can't just panic roll to avoid everything. At the same time, she gives enough time after several attacks to take a swing with an ultra weapon.

Most of her attacks have very distinct animations, so learning the boss's moveset is important and useful.

She has a very good musical theme, but more importantly, her echoing footsteps add a distinct sound element. Just listening to the track on its own doesn't communicate how good the fight sounds.

She's got an incredibly unique design that plays into her visually impressive animations. She's simultaneously badass, beautiful, and eerie, without falling into cliches like a revealing outfit.

You can fight her right at the beginning of the game even though she's intended for mid-game/end-game, so her challenge depends on when you decide to fight her. In a way, she represents the most freedom you have in Dark Souls 3.

Most of all, she feels coherent. She's a elegant dancer, and every gameplay and visual aspect of the fight plays into that theme.

<insert joke about having a nice ass>

Zocano

I would say Dancer of the Boreal Valley is my favorite boss in Dark Souls 3 for a few reasons.

Dancer and Champion Gundyr are the best fights in the game bar none.

I was tepid on Dancer my first playthrough but on successive ones I found her much more impressively interesting compared to the rest of the fights in the game mostly due to how a combination of the music and her animations adding to the fight feeling like an actual dance and in turn has a lot more movement to the general flow of the fight. Her having a slightly unorthodox silhouette also helps the fight not feel like another big dude with a sword or big immobile I circle strafe for 5 minutes.

pixxxelz

Is the ringed knight straightsword any good with a dex/str build? I really like its weapon art but I don't know I its worth upgrading.

Toxi

Banned
Dancer and Champion Gundyr are the best fights in the game bar none.
Stick Friede on there too. Yes, she's absurd and over-the-top and an example of From going too far, but she's still three fun boss fights with unique gimmicks for each phase.

Toxi

Banned
Fighting the Dancer in the beta made me expect so much more weirdness out of the Boreal Valley.
I mean, it's pretty damn weird. You got giant furry alligator monsters, invisible slaves, dogs with human skulls for faces, and centipede people in the sewers. Below that you've got a dungeon where they were experimenting to turn people into dragons, but instead ended up with weird baby-faced wretches. Below that, you have an ancient ruin with giant babies that have eyes in their stomachs and a hand for a head. To top it all off, the ruler doesn't wear pants.

Manu

My twitter feed is full of people who flat out hate this DLC.

Main gripes are: pacing has no room to breathe, bosses have absurd hp pools, feels like it's built around an exaggerated "git gud" masocore.

Personally, I'm enjoying it enormously but feel like it's tuned way too hard. I've had to power level my vit to stop dying in three hits from even the trash mobs. It's a brickwall of difficulty if you try it with an endgame appropriate level 80 character and even at 110 it's brutal.

I've tossed out all my expectations and am doing a lot of summoning and am gonna keep leveling to 130-140 until I feel like my character is roughly where I'd want to be to solo this stuff.

But other folks, diehard fans of the series since 2009-2011, are really pissed at what Dark Souls has turned into.

Charitably, I blame Namco interference. Bloodborne didn't have any of these problems.

They definitely went overboard with some stuff.

The stairs with the fat knights that will ambush you if you try to talk to Shira (which caused me to miss out on her quest entirely since I died while talking to her and then she was gone when I came back later,) then there's even more once you reach the swamp. It's dumb, and felt like overkill. And there are other examples too.

I started the DLC at lvl 92 wearing light armor on a shieldless dex character, and every boss was stupidly hard for me. I only started feeling more comfortable once I hit lvl 100, and even then the normal mobs could get me in trouble.

It definitely feels hard for the sake of being hard at times.

Toxi

Banned
They definitely went overboard with some stuff.

The stairs with the fat knights that will ambush you if you try to talk to Shira (which caused me to miss out on her quest entirely since I died while talking to her and then she was gone when I came back later,)
...Oh fuck. I got killed while talking to her too. Goddamnit. :(

Gbraga

I mean, it's pretty damn weird. You got giant furry alligator monsters, invisible slaves, dogs with human skulls for faces, and centipede people in the sewers. Below that you've got a dungeon where they were experimenting to turn people into dragons, but instead ended up with weird baby-faced wretches. Below that, you have an ancient ruin with giant babies that have eyes in their stomachs and a hand for a head. To top it all off, the ruler doesn't wear pants.

It sounds weirder than it is when you see the actual designs. The level was also not that interesting, imo.

And the boss of the area has such a bland design. He looks like a Dark Souls II boss.

Toxi

Banned
Later I read that she will still be there as long as you don't get to the final area of the DLC. I was already fighting the final boss when I found out.
Phew. :)
I was tepid on Dancer my first playthrough but on successive ones I found her much more impressively interesting compared to the rest of the fights in the game mostly due to how a combination of the music and her animations adding to the fight feeling like an actual dance and in turn has a lot more movement to the general flow of the fight. Her having a slightly unorthodox silhouette also helps the fight not feel like another big dude with a sword or big immobile I circle strafe for 5 minutes.
I think an important aspect is that unlike Pontiff, she doesn't have any tracking moves where she pivots in place like a human turret. When she turns during an attack, it's a natural part of the animation.

It sounds weirder than it is when you see the actual designs. The level was also not that interesting, imo.

And the boss of the area has such a bland design. He looks like a Dark Souls II boss.
I mean, the hand babies and sewer centipede people are both pretty damn horrifying.

Though From has gone overboard with humans twisted into arthropod shapes. Dark Souls 3 has people twisted to look like centipedes, people twisted to look like grubs, people twisted to look like houseflies, people twisted to look like locusts, and people twisted to look like butterfly chrysali controlling people twisted to look like butterfly imagos.

I'm actually wondering if there might be a story reason for why there are so many damn bug people in Dark Souls 3. They all seem to be related to rot in some way, so maybe that's the reason?

Hybris

the camera for the optional boss is soooo bad, it's literally like 30% of the challenge, ugh

Don't lock on and it's fine. Locking on to big bosses in Souls has always been terrible yet they refuse to do anything about it. Just as bad as it was in the first game of the series...

Zyrox

Hmm what's a good, fast STR weapon? Currently fighting (Boss name)
Gael
and my Spiked Mace feels a little to slow. Can be a quality weapon too but the focus should be on STR. I have 40 str and 20 dex.

Whales

Banned
tbh other than items and new weapons, this dlc is worse than ashes of ariandel IMO.

If you guys think getting ganked by literally fucking thing in literally fucking every area + having giants chase you around + 7 fat dudes chasing you around + a fucking
dragon defending a god damn bridge that spits fire on your ass
+ enemies placed in a way to discourage exploration is fun, then maybe im out of touch

im probably in the minority thinking this tho

Ferr986

tbh other than items and new weapons, this dlc is worse than ashes of ariandel IMO. If you guys think getting ganked by literally fucking thing in literally fucking every area + having giants chase you around + 7 fat dudes chasing you around + a fucking
dragon defending a god damn bridge that spits fire on your ass
is fun, then maybe im out of touch

im probably in the minority thinking this tho

It's more flawed IMO. Like, TRC has higher highs and lower lows. I don't really know which one I would choose right now.

Hmm what's a good, fast STR weapon? Currently fighting (Boss name)
Gael
and my Spiked Mace feels a little to slow. Can be a quality weapon too but the focus should be on STR. I have 40 str and 20 dex.

Milkwood(?) Axe, Dark Sword and I think ringed sword is also a STR weapon.

Top Bottom