• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

Milijango

I don't know about this "Ariandel had great level design" thing we have going on here. The Corvian Settlement is really striking and the areas with a bunch of Followers are a good time, but the rest is just kind of there. I'd argue that the areas with lots of Millwood Knights or Lady Trees actively encourage you to sprint through them. The Depths of the Painting is just a mistake from start to finish.

The final room of Ariandel especially just shows how little they committed to the whole concept of the rot. They only made one enemy for it.

MilkBeard

I don't know about this "Ariandel had great level design" thing we have going on here. The Corvian Settlement is really striking and the areas with a bunch of Followers are a good time, but the rest is just kind of there. I'd argue that the areas with lots of Millwood Knights or Lady Trees actively encourage you to sprint through them. The Depths of the Painting is just a mistake from start to finish.

The final room of Ariandel especially just shows how little they committed to the whole concept of the rot. They only made one enemy for it.

I don't really feel that way. They showed the "rot" in various places in the maps. And the final room wasn't to show the "rot", but to show how Father Ariandel is keeping the world from changing by sacrificing his own blood. It's a pretty complete picture there, lorewise as well.
I think the map design is more consistent in Ashes of Ariandel, which I found to be nice. And I just like the settlement design they had. Ringed City is overall better, but the Earthen Peak stuff is a bit sloppy. Really liked the city though.

Gbraga

Newest Vaati video was really good. Still didn't bring me back to being interested in this game's lore, but at least I learned about Angel's Egg. I need to watch it as soon as possible, it looks fantastic.

- the Humanity puzzle. Not a obscure as the Archdragon Peak but still on the level of 3 Cords from Bloodborne.

I really disagree with this. The humanity puzzle is waaaaay more obscure than both. I actually did think of trying the branch, because we get some in the swamp, but I would never think of keep trying it outside if I was playing offline. Seems like a random distinction. 3 cords is very obviously shown to the player, the only mistake you can make is thinking you need to keep the cords instead of consuming them, but then you just fix that mistake on your next playthrough, you won't go back to being puzzled at what you should do because it didn't work.

Melchiah

I really disagree with this. The humanity puzzle is waaaaay more obscure than both. I actually did think of trying the branch, because we get some in the swamp, but I would never think of keep trying it outside if I was playing offline. Seems like a random distinction. 3 cords is very obviously shown to the player, the only mistake you can make is thinking you need to keep the cords instead of consuming them, but then you just fix that mistake on your next playthrough, you won't go back to being puzzled at what you should do because it didn't work.

Yeah, the name One Third of Umbilical Cord clearly implies you have to use three of them, and there's a note in the Nightmare Lecture Building that says "three third cords".

I've been doin Midir now solo forever. I want till kill this guy so bad. I lost count of deaths after 30.

Any pestulant mercury users here wanna help me kill this bastard so I can get my sword

DaciaJC

Gold Member

I'm assuming this is NG, thus Midir has 15,860 HP according to the wiki. He did 15 damage per roll to the head, so a minimum of 1,058 hits were needed to kill the boss (but in reality probably quite a few more, as leg hits did only half damage).

Some people, man.

Over 1 hour long, Jesus Christ.

Looking at his channel, I found one video running over 2.5 hours: SL1 Gael fists-only.

usp84

So i finally started this DLC and it feel great to play new dark souls content as always.

That first boss though...Didn't like it and i had no problem with the three phases of Friede for example, i mean that was tough of course but i really enjoyed it.

Jombie

Not taking credit away from them, but I feel like challenge runs for this game have been rendered wholly uninteresting at this point. I just kind of roll my eyes now.

RiggyRob

Not taking credit away from them, but I feel like challenge runs for this game have been rendered wholly uninteresting at this point. I just kind of roll my eyes now.

Nah man - there's people playing this with dance mats, DJ turntables and fricking bananas!

Although I guess once the novelty's worn off it could get uninteresting.

NEO0MJ

Nah man - there's people playing this with dance mats, DJ turntables and fricking bananas!

Although I guess once the novelty's worn off it could get uninteresting.

Thing is we've been seeing this stuff since Demon's. By the fifth game people are bound to be bored of them :p

usp84

Finally beat the DLC i thought it was great except the first boss fight.

Second boss was a Demon's Souls moment when
a player was summoned to be a boss!

The two last bosses were amazing fights although Midir should have had less HP. IT took me several tries to beat it but by the end i learned pretty much all his attacks and got only hit by stupid mistakes.

Anyway let's see what FROM has for us next!

nOoblet16

I hate oversized bosses in Souls games, especially those that move fast as it leads to all sorts of weird animations. Midir's legs fuckin slide everywhere when he is rotating around or shifting a bit and it's extremely annoying.

Also find it annoying that only a small portion of his tail takes damage but any part of his entire tail do damage to you.

Then there is the giant HP pool

Jingo

Im so pissed at the spears of church boss, the summoned played was weak as hell and died with only 3 hits, when i won i taught that another boss was gonna come up or something! Is there another way to retry this boss? Offline boss seems great!

DemWalls

Im so pissed at the spears of church boss, the summoned played was weak as hell and died with only 3 hits, when i won i taught that another boss was gonna come up or something! Is there another way to retry this boss? Offline boss seems great!

Yes, you have to get to a certain area and pay a price. If you don't want to discover it yourself, I'll tell you.

PFD

I rolled a new character for the DLC, and this time I went heavy dex build (my first playthrough was str)

It's a very different game when you don't use a shield holy shit. Tons of fun though. It's fascinating how bosses that were easy on my str playthrough gave me so much trouble now, and vice versa.

As for the DLC, father Ariandel took me about 5 tries. Midir about 20, and Gael over 50!

I loved the DLCs, so sad it's over

Just finished Ringed City DLC for first time ever! My faith build worked surprisingly well after I gave up on trying to use offensive miracles. Tears of denial and great heal only. It's a real bummer though that those two are the only two usable miracles in the game. Well Dorhy's Gnawing had some cheap tricks you could do with on certain bosses. Lightning Weapon buff would be fine but some bosses are so long keeping it up becomes a hassle and I'd rather just infuse a weapon with lightning. Same issue with sacred oath. The buff is too short for the long long boss fights.

All the tricks Ringed City kept pulling were fine, I enjoyed the difficulty a lot. Bosses were fun too! Now to finish cleaning up items I missed and on to NG+ I go.

I am getting destroyed in this DLC and there is no help to summon. Might be to late to the party :(
I am so rusty after Nioh my muscle memory is crooked

Anyone feel like helping ? At bonfire 2

d00d3n

How do I get to this item (see picture) in the first area of the ringed city dlc?

20170819002646_1dnagx.jpg

UltraMav

How do I get to this item (see picture) in the first area of the ringed city dlc?

20170819002646_1dnagx.jpg

There's a path up a root if you head down the path and turn around once you get to the first shack. It kind of looks like you can't walk up it, but you can.

Item:
Sparkling Titanite

d00d3n

There's a path up a root if you head down the path and turn around once you get to the first shack. It kind of looks like you can't walk up it, but you can.

Item:
Sparkling Titanite

Thanks! Ran into branches and invisible walls when trying some approaches, but I will try some more

Just popping in to say that I just made it to The Ringed City and this DLC is hard enough that it feels like I'm back at the beginning of the game.

good times.

Top Bottom