• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III: The Ringed City |OT| One Last Journey

Cmon man, literally in the OT.

Recommended level: 100+

Though I've read FromSoft recommends 120.

120 is up there for PVE. None of my characters got that high, and I'm good with making sure I don't lose my bloodstain, I always use the covetous silver serpent ring, and I even do a little grinding at the end of the game.

Lux R7

Thanks From, this was a hell of a ride.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14631-1362379470-3.gif

Rex_DX

Gold Member
120 is up there for PVE. None of my characters got that high, and I'm good with making sure I don't lose my bloodstain, I always use the covetous silver serpent ring, and I even do a little grinding at the end of the game.

That's weird. When I beat the game in May i was level 101. Never touched the Covetous rings. Maybe it's because i didn't buy much of anything from merchants?

Haven't beat Ashes yet but if I was to start that at 101, another ten or so levels from a DLC seems feasible.

So far endgame at about 75-90 seems like a good spot challenge-wise. Though weapons are more important.

renzolama

Dry your tears guys, no developer/publisher throws away a franchise that has never received a metacritic score below 87 and has become more commercially successful with each release. This happens over and over again ("last game in series forever we promise") and the next sequel is inevitably announced within a few years. There will be another Dark Souls game announced as soon as (a) the fatigue wears off slightly and (b) From has finished up work on whatever their next exploratory project is and needs another cash infusion from a sure bet.

jacobs34

If this truly is the end, it's been one hell of a ride. No other series has captured my imagination as an adult gamer.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is probably more suited for the official thread but whatever. Need some pointers on my Dex/Faith build. I want to get into the Ringed City in tip top shape. My stats right now are

Vig-40
Att-24
End-25
Vit-7
Str-13
Dex-40
Int-7
Fth-40
Lck-13

I know that offensive miracles are ass at 40 Faith. I'm mostly melee with some buffs, but I do like casting a few Spears at stuff. Wondering if I should lower Dex to 35 and use Hunter's Ring. Same for 55 Faith to get more out of my buffs (Priestess ring). But then I'm out 2 rings slots. SL120 is paramount here. Cleric starting class. Kind of need the high vigor because I run on really light gear. It's a waifu build so yes she's got lightning infused Onikiri and Udabachi.

And I'm wondering if 24 attunement is too much. I could bring it down to 18 and buff my endurance some.

Hikami

Dry your tears guys, no developer/publisher throws away a franchise that has never received a metacritic score below 87 and has become more commercially successful with each release. This happens over and over again ("last game in series forever we promise") and the next sequel is inevitably announced within a few years. There will be another Dark Souls game announced as soon as (a) the fatigue wears off slightly and (b) From has finished up work on whatever their next exploratory project is and needs another cash infusion from a sure bet.
It's the last Miyazaki Dark Souls probably. From the man himself:
“For me, Dark Souls III is the end,” he said. “But that doesn’t mean the end for Dark Souls. If someone other than myself, like another staff member, wants to make a Dark Souls, then I don’t want to deny others from making future installments.”

I can see a Dark Souls IV happening eventually, but this is the end for a while.

Ferr986

This is probably more suited for the official thread but whatever. Need some pointers on my Dex/Faith build. I want to get into the Ringed City in tip top shape. My stats right now are

Vig-40
Att-24
End-25
Vit-7
Str-13
Dex-40
Int-7
Fth-40
Lck-13

I know that offensive miracles are ass at 40 Faith. I'm mostly melee with some buffs, but I do like casting a few Spears at stuff. Wondering if I should lower Dex to 35 and use Hunter's Ring. Same for 55 Faith to get more out of my buffs (Priestess ring). But then I'm out 2 rings slots. SL120 is paramount here. Cleric starting class. Kind of need the high vigor because I run on really light gear. It's a waifu build so yes she's got lightning infused Onikiri and Udabachi.

And I'm wondering if 24 attunement is too much. I could bring it down to 18 and buff my endurance some.

I think that VIG is too much, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference. I would personally lower it to dunno around 35. Then slap a Favor ring.

2 rings for stats seems excesive, considering you need the 2 faith rings for damage (and I'll rather have a Favor ring as I said).You could go with 1 stat ring at most .

I don't think 24 ATT is too much. FTH sucks partly because too much spells use 2 slots. End seems fine too, so IMO I would trade some VIT for FTH.

My DEX/FTH build has 50 FTH, it's enough to do 1K dmg Sunlight Spears. Mine is

VIT 32
ATT 24
Endurance 20 (I'm using a straight sword with Lightning Blade buff so it's plenty enough to do 6 hits and then have enough stamina for roll, also big spells consume a lot of stamina so I wouldn't get much of a difference going to 25, right now I can do 2 Spears and have enough stamina to roll, going to 25 wouldn't change that)
VIG 12 (using Sunless set, if you're not go lower)
DEX 40
FTH 50
rest base stats

Nere

Oh god so I guess my 110 on NG+1 is too low?

Also will there be some kind of preload for steam?

Oh god so I guess my 110 on NG+1 is too low?

Also will there be some kind of preload for steam?

A few points less in HP or Stamina is not going to be a lot of difference. By 110, you should be pretty close to hardcap some stats.

Also the last pacth already contains most of the stuff and now there's a +800MB download on Steam (So yes, in short, there's a preload)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I think that VIG is too much, I don't think it's going to make much of a difference. I would personally lower it to dunno around 35. Then slap a Favor ring.

2 rings for stats seems excesive, considering you need the 2 faith rings for damage (and I'll rather have a Favor ring as I said).You could go with 1 stat ring at most .

I don't think 24 ATT is too much. FTH sucks partly because too much spells use 2 slots. End seems fine too, so IMO I would trade some VIT for FTH.

My DEX/FTH build has 50 FTH, it's enough to do 1K dmg Sunlight Spears. Mine is

VIT 32
ATT 24
Endurance 20 (I'm using a straight sword with Lightning Blade buff so it's plenty enough to do 6 hits and then have enough stamina for roll, also big spells consume a lot of stamina so I wouldn't get much of a difference going to 25, right now I can do 2 Spears and have enough stamina to roll, going to 25 wouldn't change that)
VIG 12 (using Sunless set, if you're not go lower)
DEX 40
FTH 50
rest base stats

I might use the Sunless set, but man my base vit is 7...:( I'm kind of stuck wearing really light armor which means, I die super quick hence the 40 Vig. 50 Faith sounds pretty good though. Kinda wondering about lowering dex to 35 and upping Faith to 60. WIth Hunter's Ring I hit 40 Dex.

Thanks for the tips and good looking build too.

Ferr986

I might use the Sunless set, but man my base vit is 7...:( I'm kind of stuck wearing really light armor which means, I die super quick hence the 40 Vig. 50 Faith sounds pretty good though. Kinda wondering about lowering dex to 35 and upping Faith to 60. WIth Hunter's Ring I hit 40 Dex.

Thanks for the tips and good looking build too.

Oh, I use Sunless only for fashion really, not for def (it looks cool as a Faith knight IMO).
My Pyro build rolls with Firekeeper robes and pointy hat (so shit def lol) and she's around that VIG too.

I'm looking forward to it, I hoped to prep a new character specifically for it but I had a pretty bad cut on my hand last week so I wanted it to heal as much as possible in time for this(!) so I'll be using my last character which was for the last DLC, kind of a bummer since it's overleveled, but it's not like it will be the only time I play this.

Hope to download it tonight and play tomorrow. I'm not hyped per se - even I admit to a fair bit of Souls fatigue at this point, but I expect something more satisfying than the previous DLC due to its size.

AmyS

Farewell to Dark Souls!

DS3art.jpg

Farewell to Arms - Cause & Effect

You cross the walls
Cunning steps to safety
Thoughts break your fall
But have you looked around you lately
Do not speak too soon
Now the sun's the moon
And you don't know where you are
Do not fight for them
For today's the end
And you still don't know where you are
Farewell to arms
Nothing can go on forever

Farewell to arms
Life is not a never ending treasure
Across the land
Catherine dear is calling
And in your hand
The sand from your clutch is falling
Do not speak too late
Now the son's your fate
And you don't know who you are
Do not fight with it
Keep the candle lit
Until you know who you are

I think I've decided to play through the DLC first with my pyro build. The Onyx Blade is too fucking awesome, and there may be a nice pyromancy spell or two.

I really hope it has a strong ending and gives some more flesh to the lore.

Also they missed a trick if the final item isn't "Dark Soul" or something similar

KLoWn

I'm going to take my time on this one since this'll probably be the last we see of Dark Souls.

Hopefully it goes out with a bang.

ToKre

can't decide if i want to play this with a normal build or NG+ magic build

magic builds are bad in the first DLC so not sure yet.

Hybris

Unlocks just as I get home from work... perfect. Going to take my
Freide
Scythe character through first... then the other 4... then finish both DLC on my SL1 character. Let's hope I derust quickly!

Rex_DX

Gold Member
So this is weird:

I was fighting a giant crab in upper Farron Keep/Road of Sacrifices when suddenly I got a message popup "You don't have a license for this DLC. Returning to menu."

I was booted back to the title screen and now the 30,000 souls I had on me are gone.

I have the season pass. Anyone else?

So this is weird:

I was fighting a giant crab in upper Farron Keep/Road of Sacrifices when suddenly I got a message popup "You don't have a license for this DLC. Returning to menu."

I was booted back to the title screen and now the 30,000 souls I had on me are gone.

I have the season pass. Anyone else?

I had that happen to me once, and it hasn't done it since.

KarmaCow

I don't remember how they handled it for DS2, any chance on sale for the first the DLC or even the season pass when this comes out?

usp84

Looks like i will play this on NG +4 because all my characters are at least there and i didn't have time to create a new one for the DLC.

Zomba13

So I did the same here as I did with DS2. Wait for the last DLC to be close to out then go through them one after the other (so I have time to git gud again and struggle to get warm only to cool off before the next one hits).

Finished base game at 100, I felt it was a good point to stop levelling so all my other souls and my grinding went towards trying to get as many weapons and armour sets as I could (you know, fashion souls and all that). Finished Ariandel at 103, only really lost all my souls twice I think, because of a certain tree branch area and those nuke arrows.

I'll probably be fine for this. 120 does seem high for DLC for PVE scrubs like me though. I'm very much looking forward to this.

Top Bottom