• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

donny2112

Ether_Snake said:
PSP has been trailing the DS for the recent weeks. I think this will push for more content, which is good news, cause PS3 will not satisfy our RPG cravings.

DeaconKnowledge said:
There seems to be this sentiment going around that the DS is failing now that the PSP is beating it in weekly hardware sales, despite its hardware base.

Read the : "this is the year the PSP takes over for games" comments popping up.

You can use these two handy links to gain some perspective on those desires/statements.

YTD Software Sales (Famitsu Top 30s)

DS - 1,169,123
Wii - 958,500
PS2 - 203,954
PSP - 163,911
PS3 - 19,280

YTD 3rd-Party Software Sales (Famitsu Top 30s)

DS - 488,522
PS2 - 203,954
PSP - 146,925
PS3 - 19,280
Wii - 8,200

Those two links will give the current YTD totals for the remainder of 2008, so feel free to save them somewhere. ;)

Edit:
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So I just stumbled upon this...

:D

Leonsito

It's obvious that the DS is not selling at the insane rate of 2007-2006, I think it will reach 30M in Japan or even more, it reached in 3 years what PS2 did in 7, and DS made it selling 100k+ per week, while PS2 reach 20M crawling in the charts selling 10k.

That said, I think that DS-PSP will be a race neck to neck, and both still have price drops and new colours, but to be honest, don't think a DS price drop will affect the sales too much, price wasn't a problem never for DS.

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
Right, but most Game Boy Color games could actually be played on the original Game Boy.
Actually most couldn't... it was mostly just early GB portups even (Tetris DX, Wario Land 2, Link's Awakening DX, G&WG2, etc) that had backward compatibility, basically everything after mid 1999 was GBC only for the most part.

Parl

Leonsito said:
It's obvious that the DS is not selling at the insane rate of 2007-2006, I think it will reach 30M in Japan or even more, it reached in 3 years what PS2 did in 7, and DS made it selling 100k+ per week, while PS2 reach 20M crawling in the charts selling 10k.

That said, I think that DS-PSP will be a race neck to neck, and both still have price drops and new colours, but to be honest, don't think a DS price drop will affect the sales too much, price wasn't a problem never for DS.

Some people might be on the fence about paying something like $150 to play Brain Training.

I think price sensitivitiy exists at all different non-trival levels.

KINGMOKU

ethelred said:
I do find it hilarious that people are saying the DS has reached saturation point because it's now at 67k sales in a week. At its "saturation point," the DS is now selling about what the PS2 was selling weekly at its prime.
It is quite funny. I guess everyones memory is busted, and they dont remember what hardware sales used to look like week in, and week out.

For the DS to be selling what it is, right now, after havi9ng dropped 22million+ consoles into peoples hands, is insane.

Saturation. :lol

It could end up selling 40million in Japan if given 7+years like the PS2.

Laguna

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui - 60.000

What numbers did this Gundam Giren series on other platforms. And what did other Gundams in general did on PSP?

This year
PSPhardware:544.777
PSPsoftware - 76,213
Crazy!

Leonsito

Parl said:
Some people might be on the fence about paying something like $150 to play Brain Training.

I think price sensitivitiy exists at all different non-trival levels.

Don't know, I know a lot of people in Spain (friking Spain) that paid 170€ for DS + BT packs, and will never buy a game again, so I think that in Japan dropping the price won't boost the sales too much, the ones who wanted a DS already have it.

What's the Japan price for the DS now? The equivalent to 150$ ? Maybe at 129$ it wouldn't affect too much, 99$ should be interesting ...

Vinci

Danish
Wait. Are there people seriously contending that the DS isn't selling well or some ridiculous nonsense akin to that? Are you people insane?

Lobster

Banned
Thats some serious bad sales for DS :\ I guess it will only end up being the biggest console in history instead of the biggest console in history.

Such a shame.

ethelred

dude said:
The DS will return to the lead shortly, I really don't see it dying right now >.>

Also, the DS still has DQIX a head, saying it's dying is really overreacting.

dude said:
It's not dying, it's still got a lot of future a head of it. DQIX will spark sales...

Chris Michael said:
The DS is fine. DQIX isn't even out yet. Was there a new PSP color this week?

Phife Dawg said:
Seeing that DQIX is yet to come I don't see them dropping the price on DS yet. We might see some more weeks of PSP closing the gap :D .

CANLI said:
for the people who say DS is in saturation, don't forget the week when DQ IX, the monster will be released.

Hmm. There seem to be a lot of people soldiering on under the assumption that Dragon Quest IX will help save the DS's hardware sales. Weren't you all mostly the same lot that, upon the game's announcement, trumpeted that it was only reasonable because Dragon Quest always goes to the system with the strongest hardware sales? Maybe DQIX should be moved to the PSP, a system which doesn't need its hardware sales saved.

kbear

Holy crap.. PSP is an absolute cloverfield monster

Lobster said:
Thats some serious bad sales for DS :\ I guess it will only end up being the biggest console in history instead of the biggest console in history.

Such a shame.
You mean the biggest handheld? You said console twice. Anyway, why are PS2 and DS being compared? They're completely different markets. PS2 also has the disadvantage of 'one being enough for a household', while DS is an individual gaming device. This is why they shouldn't be compared... completely different markets.

Laguna said:
What numbers did this Gundam Giren series on other platforms. And what did other Gundams in general did on PSP?

It's doing 4 times better than the last installment on PSP.

This year
PSPhardware:544.777
PSPsoftware - 76,213
Crazy!

That SW number just includes the top 30. The NPD December case told us that this is just a tiny fraction of the whole picture.

BTW, yeah we all know PSP SW sales has always been bad, but you don't need to repeat it like nonstop.

Grecco

ethelred said:
Hmm. There seem to be a lot of people soldiering on under the assumption that Dragon Quest IX will help save the DS's hardware sales. Weren't you all mostly the same lot that, upon the game's announcement, trumpeted that it was only reasonable because Dragon Quest always goes to the system with the strongest hardware sales? Maybe DQIX should be moved to the PSP, a system which doesn't need its hardware sales saved.

DS needs its hardware sales "saved" ?

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ethelred said:
are you implying that the DS needs its sales saved in the first place o_O

seriously, these sentiments are moronic at best

and smash really gave the Wii a bump, does that mean OMG! WII WILL OWN ALL!!!!!

Minsc

Gold Member
ethelred said:

What system would you put DQ X if you had a choice? And then again, going by their frame of mind?

Vinci

Danish
doomed1 said:
are you implying that the DS needs its sales saved in the first place o_O

seriously, these sentiments are moronic at best

and smash really gave the Wii a bump, does that mean OMG! WII WILL OWN ALL!!!!!

Based on his earlier comments, I think he was ... you know ... being sarcastic.

always funny to see the MC topics in PS3forums with a decreasing number of posts every week..how times have changed :lol

expected numbers for Brawl, definitely.

Lobster

Banned
kbear said:
You mean the biggest handheld? You said console twice. Anyway, why are PS2 and DS being compared? They're completely different markets. PS2 also has the disadvantage of 'one being enough for a household', while DS is an individual gaming device. This is why they shouldn't be compared... completely different markets.

DS is the biggest gaming thingamajig..just decided to call it a console..

I don't know about not being compared..especially when Wii is tracking so close to DS and was at one point even tracking lower then the DS.

Lobster

Banned
regarding DQIX and hardware bumps..

DQIX will hardly cause a significant bump in DS sales..As Reggie once said "everyone who wants Halo 3 already has a 360". The same pretty much can be apllied to DQIX and the DS.

kswiston

ethelred said:

They also seem to forget that the 2.2M copies sold during DQVIII's debut on the charts only increased PS2 sales 60k units over the previous week. To me that means that 97% of the people who bought DQVIII at launch already had a PS2. Considering there will be close to 8-9M more DS systems on the market when DQIX launches than there were PS2s for DQVIII, I can't imagine the DS fairing much better. PS2 also had the redesign going for it shortly before DQVIII's launch.

Judging by the software sales, the DS and PSP aren't really competing with each other anymore. I'm really impressed by the overall HW sales this generation and am glad to see more than a healthy #1. Outside of the anemic 360, most people should be pretty pleased with the way things are going.

:lol @ anyone thinking doom & gloom for the DS's declining sales. Rather than worrying about that, people should be excited for the PSP's resurgence. The DS has already solidified itself as the best selling piece of hardware ever in Japan; the rest is just gravy and anticipation for the DS2.

Vinci

Danish
kswiston said:
They also seem to forget that the 2.2M copies sold during DQVIII's debut on the charts only increased PS2 sales 60k units over the previous week. To me that means that 97% of the people who bought DQVIII at launch already had a PS2. Considering there will be close to 8-9M more DS systems on the market when DQIX launches than there were PS2s for DQVIII, I can't imagine the DS fairing much better. PS2 also had the redesign going for it shortly before DQVIII's launch.

Again, ethelred was being sarcastic. Also: Who cares if it has an effect on the DS's sales anyway? It's not like it needs a bump; its sales aren't non-existent by any measure used by a remotely reasonable human being.

Whether it gets a bump in sales or not, so what? As long as S-E sells a shitload of DQ IX, no one should care.

Lobster

Banned
I'm pretty sure if Nintendo can keep 50k sales a week..there will be no redesign or price drop..

200k a month is pretty dam great for a console/handheld that has reached 20 million in 3 years.

*Guaraná

Banned
can you guys imagine what a New Version + bundle + DQIX would do for DS? :lol

And lol to the guy who said the DS needed to be saved in terms of hardware... more than 20 million people only in japan is laughing at your face. :lol

People calling for a new model just so the DS can place higher than the PSP are the real fanboys.

Most of those purchases will be 2nd-3rd rebuys for the system and wouldn't reflect an appreciable gain in actual marketshare to first-time buyers. The DSLite is fine. Nintendo should be focusing their efforts on the system's successor and put their money towards other HW and SW development; not trying to achieve some silly battle of weekly hardware numbers just to appease some insatiable desire for the DS to sell > PSP week in and week out.

Grecco

Forgotten Ancient said:
People calling for a new model just so the DS can place higher than the PSP are the real fanboys.

Fanboys? I just want to buy a new ds thats nicer than DSL.

Theres also precedent for mutliple revisions. GBA had 3 different versions so did GB (Pocket, Light, Color). Nintendo can make it cheaper, nicer and in the end make more money.

(DS2 development is probably already underway in some RD lab anyways.)

kswiston

Vinci said:
Again, ethelred was being sarcastic. Also: Who cares if it has an effect on the DS's sales anyway? It's not like it needs a bump; its sales aren't non-existent by any measure used by a remotely reasonable human being.

Whether it gets a bump in sales or not, so what? As long as S-E sells a shitload of DQ IX, no one should care.

I know he was being sarcastic. However, a lot of people truly seem to think that DQIX will result in millions of DS sales. That would have been true in 2005, but not now. DS is just way too widespread for any one game to have more than a marginal effect at this point. However, it will continue to sell extremely well on its own merits (incredible software library) for at least a year or two more. Then Nintendo will release something new, and we'll repeat this whole cycle again.

I'm just trying to be realistic. I love my DS (currently have 19 games for it. Before DS, the only handheld game I've ever owned was Pokemon Blue), but some people are a bit rabid over Nintendo sales numbers.

DeaconKnowledge said:
There seems to be a stigma that the DS will stop selling now that it's at the 20+ million benchmark, which simply makes no sense.

Pretty much. Here are some basic facts to remember in discussing this issue:

* The population of Japan is 127,433,494 (2007 estimate.)

* The PS2 has ended its meaningful sales life at a level of one console per six Japanese.

* The DS has several notable reasons, even if you assume that both it and PS2 sell literally until reaching the saturation point of all gamers, to outsell PS2 by a large margin:

- Consoles are generally purchased for a household and may be shared between multiple individuals; each individual will purchase their own DS.

- DS received a hardware update that obsoleted the original model; sooner or later, almost all purchasers of the DS Phat can be relied upon to purchase a replacement Lite.

- The DS has provably looped in a significant market of purchasers who were not previously gamers; by definition, the market of (all PS2 owners) + (some people who never owned a PS2) is larger than the PS2 market.

- Some people will purchase multiple DSes for collectible edition/new color reasons, which was not a major factor for the PS2.

Lobster said:
DQIX will hardly cause a significant bump in DS sales..As Reggie once said "everyone who wants Halo 3 already has a 360".

You... do realize that Reggie was wrong when he said that, right? The X360 outsold the Wii that month. :lol

- DS received a hardware update that obsoleted the original model; sooner or later, almost all purchasers of the DS Phat can be relied upon to purchase a replacement Lite.

Unless circumstances change drastically, chalk me up as one of those people who are the reason why the 'almost' is in there.

Hardware revisions - who need 'em? Seriously.

You... do realize that Reggie was wrong when he said that, right? The X360 outsold the Wii that month.

Well, how does one define 'significant'? It got a bump, sure, but it didn't change the console's trajectory, its not helping it beat anything it wasn't already beating before, and sales settled back to 'normal' very quickly.

Vinci

Danish
Pureauthor said:
Well, how does one define 'significant'? It got a bump, sure, but it didn't change the console's trajectory, its not helping it beat anything it wasn't already beating before, and sales settled back to 'normal' very quickly.

A bump is a bump. Most don't automagically alter the console's trajectory, and whatever bump the DS receives from DQ IX definitely won't: It's still going to crush everything else out there. Maybe not in every single week but LTD without question.

I would say that if sales doubled or more from the release of a single title, then it's a 'significant' bump. But that's hardly a universal definition.

Lobster

Banned
charlequin said:
You... do realize that Reggie was wrong when he said that, right? The X360 outsold the Wii that month. :lol

He was wrong about everyone, but clearly "most people" had a 360. Just like most people that buy DQIX will have a DS.

The situations are also very different..DS has sold 21 million units in Japan..21 freaking million.

ziran

sphinx said:
Horrible numbers, all of them maybe except for the PSP.

.- Wii 94,473 in smash bros week?? Dragon quest swords did more for the Wii.
.- PS3 41,797 with 3 games on the top 10?? mediocre bump all together.
.- DS is dying faster than I predicted.
.- PS2 is dying as well.
.- Xbox 360 LOL.

PSP, o.k and steady.
:lol

Anything ~50K per week for hw sales in Japan, is very good. This is what PS2 was doing for most if its life in Japan. The astounding success of DS has skewed perspective of the market.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So Wii goes up by 20k and PS3 by 7k. Hey, just like Famitsu.

Congrats goes to PS2 for reaching 21m. lol goes to GAF for failing once again to swallow PSP doing good on its own.
donny2112 said:
You can use these two handy links to gain some perspective on those desires/statements.

YTD Software Sales (Famitsu Top 30s)

DS - 497,334
Wii - 430,647
PS2 - 89,757
PSP - 76,213
PS3 - 19,280

YTD 3rd-Party Software Sales (Famitsu Top 30s)

DS - 181,620
PS2 - 89,757
PSP - 59,227
PS3 - 19,280
Wii - 8,200

What is interesting in Japan is PSP sw sales do seem to be seeing an increase compared to recent performance, but they're still not at the levels they were in the system's first year, even per title, yet its installed base is 4 times bigger! I'm sure there is a decent secondary level market left for Sony in Japan, but they, and 3rd parties, would be much better served if this audience was decisively on one system, sales wise, rather than spread across 3.

However, PSP hw sales are excellent, no doubt about it and I really don't see the point in criticising its sw sales in relation to DS because they're never going come close, and it doesn't take anything away from its success in finding its own viable arena for Sony.

Parl said:
As the DS Lite is reaching saturation point at its launch price point, there's several options.

- First ever price drop
- New model
- More software

To increase hardware sales back to monster levels again (even if not quite as monster as early last year), I think Nintendo will either have a price drop or a new model this year, or both.

As for new software, I don't think DQIX will succeed in giving DS hardware a long-term boost, but will give it a good boost temporarily. I think for software, Nintendo need to release entertainment/applications that appeal to non-DS owners, so definitely not traditional games, and not sequels to current Touch Generation software, but new ways to use DS.

And this is what Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san have been talking about in recent times.
I think Nintendo has put the DS on the back burner over the last 6 months or so, in terms of releases, but this is probably due to the fact orders for DS hw outside Japan have been HUGE, so I don't think Nintendo wanted more/sustained at incredibly high levels, demand in Japan, it could've severely stunted growth in other regions given the amount they were manufacturing, especially NA where it began to sell incredibly well in 07. I do think Nintendo has titles ready that could help boost interest in the system, given their philosophy for the system, and a redesign is sure to be on the way, but I think they're going to wait until next fiscal year, i.e. April onwards.

jarrod

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
Well, personally I'm hoping they throw in a servicable D-pad, internal flash and better screens too. :lol

farnham

Banned
ethelred said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

kswiston

charlequin said:

How was the DS phat made obsolete? It plays every DS game just fine. Adjustable screen brightness, a longer battery life (not that the original ds has a short battery life) and a more asthetically pleasing look doesn't make the phat obsolete. Unless my unit dies, I'm one phat owner who will never buy a DS lite. I still proudly own my fat PS2 as well. Until it dies, spending $130 on something that looks nicer but does exactly the same thing is a waste of money.

charlequin said:
- The DS has provably looped in a significant market of purchasers who were not previously gamers; by definition, the market of (all PS2 owners) + (some people who never owned a PS2) is larger than the PS2 market.

While I won't argue that DS has brought in some new gamers. The size of the PS2 market is not an accurate indication of the previous size of the gaming community in Japan. I'm sure the number of people who owned a gamecube or GBA without owning a PS2 is larger than the 1M difference between the two userbases. This doesn't even count lapsed NES/SNES/PS1 gamers who skipped last gen.

Rocksteady33

charlequin said:
Pretty much. Here are some basic facts to remember in discussing this issue:

- Consoles are generally purchased for a household and may be shared between multiple individuals; each individual will purchase their own DS.

Let us not forget about PS2's faulty hardware though.

Vinci

Danish
kswiston said:
While I won't argue that DS has brought in some new gamers. The size of the PS2 market is not an accurate indication of the previous size of the gaming community in Japan. I'm sure the number of people who owned a gamecube or GBA without owning a PS2 is larger than the 1M difference between the two userbases. This doesn't even count lapsed NES/SNES/PS1 gamers who skipped last gen.

It also doesn't take into account the percentage of people who might have purchased the PS2 largely for DVD playback. I'm not saying there are TONS of those people in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least some.

EDIT, to farnham: It doesn't need its sales saved. The DS and the PSP are both doing remarkably well in HW sales. Period.

Grecco said:
Fanboys? I just want to buy a new ds thats nicer than DSL.

Theres also precedent for mutliple revisions. GBA had 3 different versions so did GB (Pocket, Light, Color). Nintendo can make it cheaper, nicer and in the end make more money.

(DS2 development is probably already underway in some RD lab anyways.)

Wanting an updated model for better features is one thing; wanting a new model so it can outsell a competitor is another.

I would love slightly bigger face buttons, a built-in browser, and a better d-pad. If Nintendo released this I would buy my 4th DS. + in sales would be a nice side-effect, not a reason for wanting it in the first place.

farnham

Banned
What the DS needs is a price drop

A nice juicy price drop... I mean it had a 20 dollar price drop and that was it...

I want a 50 dollar DS damn!

kswiston

Vinci said:
It also doesn't take into account the percentage of people who might have purchased the PS2 largely for DVD playback. I'm not saying there are TONS of those people in Japan, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are at least some.

There were definitely some people who did that within the first year or so of the PS2's lifespan. However, I can't see that being the case for the majority of the console's life. DVD's have been available for under $100 for 4-5 years now.

Top Bottom