• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/28 - 2/3

ascii42

kswiston said:
Gameboy + GBC sold ~32.5M in Japan. I can't find any numbers where GB and GBC aren't combined though. If you accept that all the gameboy's pre-GBA are basically the same system, then that's the top system of all time.
Except how could anyone accept that GB and GBC are the same system? They are no more the same system than the PS1 and PS2 are the same system.

ethelred

ascii42 said:
Except how could anyone accept that GB and GBC are the same system? They are no more the same system than the PS1 and PS2 are the same system.

Could the PS1 play PS2 games?

ascii42

ethelred said:
Could the PS1 play PS2 games?
No, but the the GameBoy couldn't play games exclusively made for GameBoy Color either.

How about this one? The Burger King games work on both XBOX and XBOX360.

ascii42

ethelred said:
Are you sure?
Yeah, there are definitely games that say "Only for GameBoy Color".
There's a reason for that. GBC games that worked on the GameBoy were limited by the hardware, to something like 56 colors. The GBC has more powerful hardware than the GB, it didn't simply add a color screen.

ethelred

Right, but most Game Boy Color games could actually be played on the original Game Boy. It's a pretty anomalous situation and there aren't a lot of other systems that functioned like that. It seems reasonable enough to group them together. And the fact that, well... everyone does group them together, including Nintendo, sorta bears out that reasonableness.

ascii42

ethelred said:
Right, but most Game Boy Color games could actually be played on the original Game Boy. It's a pretty anomalous situation and there aren't a lot of other systems that functioned like that. It seems reasonable enough to group them together. And the fact that, well... everyone does group them together, including Nintendo, sorta bears out that reasonableness.
I know a lot of games did, I wonder what the actual percentage is. I guess I simply refuse to put them together since the hardware is different.

ethelred said:

Just because other people are doing it, doesn't make it right. They're different systems. It's not right to combine their sales as one system.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GB>GBC is actually closest to a Genesis>32x scenario or if you appreciate the lulz, a GCN>WII evolution. They are improved games running on slightly improved hardware.

You can choose to group them together or not.

By the end of the day I fully expect the DS to surpass even those numbers.

D.Lo

ascii42 said:
I know a lot of games did, I wonder what the actual percentage is. I guess I simply refuse to put them together since the hardware is different.
There were at least 100 GBC games that did not run it dual mode, probably many more. In that sense, I'd say it's a different system.

On the other hand, the GBC was such a mild upgrade, and used almost all the same chips. the Z80 was doubled in clock speed, and more RAM (up to 32k I think) - basically all that was necessary to run the exact same technical level of games in 56 colours instead of 4 (shades of grey), at the exact same resolution. The sound hardware remained identical. It makes the GameCube -> Wii upgrade look massive.

I'd say you call it the same system, but with an asterisk. DS is destined to best it worldwide eventually anyway.

As far as sales age is concerned the GB and GBC has always been combined, why the sudden change now? The DS will beat it either way, so you guys can stop worrying.

ascii42 said:

By this definition, PSP Phat and PSP Slim sales should be separated as well.

The original BA is still crawling back after all this time?

Hardware sees PSP overtaking DS, over 60k at this point is nothing to scoff at and I don't think Nintendo is worried about PSP beating them in the handheld sector for the week. Seeing that DQIX is yet to come I don't see them dropping the price on DS yet. We might see some more weeks of PSP closing the gap :D .

Redd said:
Japan yes, Worlwide not likely. Halo has it's own following and it pretty big.
Outside of the US that following isn't really that big. I see it the other way round.

MisterHero said:
GO SMASH GO!

Galaxy seems to be ending in Japan. :(
I think it's more the case of new releases pushing it down and Brawl eating into it's sales.

AniHawk said:
Wasn't DMC4 supposed to save the PS3 in Japan? And it couldn't even beat the Wii for the week. LOL sony is doomed.
But that's the nature of a "You wait 'till..." game. If it doesn't work there's always the next game to fall back to. You just wait 'till MGS4.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu Jan 21-27
26. PS2 Winning Eleven 11: PES 2008 7079 / 611734
Thx, with PS3's 239.347, it could very well reach PES 2007's numbers. Pretty steady fanbase, seems like the jump to PS3 only shifted but did not grow it.

CANLI

for the people who say DS is in saturation, don't forget the week when DQ IX, the monster will be released.

conference_square_enix_01.jpg

+ only in Japan, there will be hundreds and hundreds releases (little or big games..). May be 98% of those will not be million sellers but you'll can find anything about the DS. If Nintendo and third parties make the same thing in Europe or USA, (I say Europe first because DS will sell more and more DS than Japan and US in its lifetime) then we can see it go to 130-140 millions.

And don't forget, the DS in europe is still selling at 140-150 euros. I can't imagine if price drops go to 99 euros. A lot of people here don't buy it because it's still expensive for them.

TJ Spyke

I think another reason Nintendo usually groups Game Boy and Game Boy Color sales together (which annoys me too) is that the GBC was really only available for 2 years. It was released in October 1998 and the Game Boy Advance came out in March/June 2001 (with GBC support quickly drying up after the GBA release). They are seperate systems though.

So Wii goes up by 20k and PS3 by 7k. Hey, just like Famitsu.

Congrats goes to PS2 for reaching 21m. lol goes to GAF for failing once again to swallow PSP doing good on its own.

So I just stumbled upon this....I'm not totally sure if they are legit, but it sure looks like it is...

Famitsu numbers (not first day, last week ones)
DSL 65000
PSP 50000
Wii 106000
PS3 36000
PS2 11000
360 5800

1.Super Smash Bros Brawl 816000
2.Devil May Cry 4 PS3 212000
3.Suzumiya Haruhi PS2 113000
4.Tales Of Destiny Directors Cut 97000
5.Wii Fit 90000(1299000)
6.Disgaea 3 56000
7.Devil May Cry 4 360 40000
8.Assassin's Creed PS3 37000
9.Mario & Sonic DS 32000(177000)
10.Winning Eleven UE 2008 PSP 25000(95000)

Other new games
11.Family Ski 24000
13.Need For Speed ProStreet PS3 19000
16.Need For Speed ProStreet PS2 15000
22.Houkago no Shounen 9000
....Mushishi 4200
....Need For Speed ProStreet Wii 4000
....Sega Rally PS3 3700
....Sega Rally PSP 3500
....Arashi 5 PS2 3200
....Arashi 5 PSP 2700
....Your Memories Off Girl Style PS2 2500
....Sega Rally 360 1900
....Salad DS 1500
....Simple DS vol32 Zombie Crisis 1500
....Simple 2000 vol?? 780

Other games
12.Wii Sports 22000(2714000)
14.Mario Party DS 19000(1576000)
15.Monster Hunter Portable 2 16000(1600000)
17.Wii Play 14000(2168000)
18.Mario Kart DS 12000(2822000)
19.Layton 2 11000(738000)
20.Doraemon Baseball 11000(152000)
21.Mario & Sonic Wii 10000(152000)
23.Nep League DS 8400(101000)
24.Lucky Star 7500(69000)
26.Super Mario Galaxy 7200(860000)
27.Mario Party 8 7200(1170000)
28.Animal Crossing 7100(4579000)
29.New Super Mario Bros 6800(5076000)
30.Household Diary 6800(417000)

Laguna

Banned
PSPhardware numbers are good. But it is amazing that even with those kind of hardware numbers only 4 PSP games charted in Top50. In my opinion many PSPfat owners are now jumping on PSPslim for its PSP-games-on-TV-feature. It will be interesting to see how the MC-sales will look like after PSPlight reaches half of PSPfat userbase.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So I just stumbled upon this....I'm not totally sure if they are legit, but it sure looks like it is...

DSL 65000
PSP 50000
Wii 106000
PS3 36000
PS2 11000
360 5800
If that's true then there's a huge difference for the PSP, 50k vs 70k (MC).

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So Wii goes up by 20k and PS3 by 7k. Hey, just like Famitsu.

Congrats goes to PS2 for reaching 21m. lol goes to GAF for failing once again to swallow PSP doing good on its own.
Really? I think the general consensus here is that after the release of S&L, hardware sales have been very good for the PSP. It doesn't change the fact software sales are lacking though. I think you're one of the guys that's rather negative on Wii's software sales. Look at it this way, with less than half of the titles released on the Wii and a far smaller userbase Wii has almost sold as much software as PSP. Of course comparing it to DS would be even less favourable.

I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging PSP's current success while pointing out it's main problem.

topscouse

Which numbers do we think are the accurate ones. If we do an average between the two sets of numbers the DS tracks higher.

DarkMehm

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

DSL 65000
PSP 50000
Wii 106000
PS3 36000
PS2 11000
360 5800

1.Super Smash Bros Brawl 816000
2.Devil May Cry 4 PS3 212000
3.Suzumiya Haruhi PS2 113000
4.Tales Of Destiny Directors Cut 97000
5.Wii Fit 90000(1299000)
6.Disgaea 3 56000
7.Devil May Cry 4 360 40000
8.Assassin's Creed PS3 37000
9.Mario & Sonic DS 32000(177000)
10.Winning Eleven UE 2008 PSP 25000(95000)

Other new games
11.Family Ski 24000
13.Need For Speed ProStreet PS3 19000
16.Need For Speed ProStreet PS2 15000
22.Houkago no Shounen 9000
....Mushishi 4200
....Need For Speed ProStreet Wii 4000
....Sega Rally PS3 3700
....Sega Rally PSP 3500
....Arashi 5 PS2 3200
....Arashi 5 PSP 2700
....Your Memories Off Girl Style PS2 2500
....Sega Rally 360 1900
....Salad DS 1500
....Simple DS vol32 Zombie Crisis 1500
....Simple 2000 vol?? 780

Other games
12.Wii Sports 22000(2714000)
14.Mario Party DS 19000(1576000)
15.Monster Hunter Portable 2 16000(1600000)
17.Wii Play 14000(2168000)
18.Mario Kart DS 12000(2822000)
19.Layton 2 11000(738000)
20.Doraemon Baseball 11000(152000)
21.Mario & Sonic Wii 10000(152000)
23.Nep League DS 8400(101000)
24.Lucky Star 7500(69000)
26.Super Mario Galaxy 7200(860000)
27.Mario Party 8 7200(1170000)
28.Animal Crossing 7100(4579000)
29.New Super Mario Bros 6800(5076000)
30.Household Diary 6800(417000)

They seem pretty legit. So we have a new source?

test_account

XP-39C²
360 and PS3 numbers match on that Famitsu numbers from what was reported on wedensday atleast, but Wii was reported to be 100k, this one got 106k. I dunno whats right though, but 106k sounds alittle more right, since its its not normal that hardware sales goes on exactly 100k (or 50k, 60k etc.), or is it? I see that PSP is 50k, maybe Famitsu rounds up or down to the nearest thousand?

CANLI said:
for the people who say DS is in saturation, don't forget the week when DQ IX, the monster will be released.
Most of the people who want DQIX will have bought a DS already, so I don't think there will be a huge HW bump in that week. I'm certain the DS is not going to crack 150k that week, unless Nintendo cut the price before then.

A price cut will give the DS a bigger long term kick in the ass.

Yoboman

Phife Dawg said:
Really? I think the general consensus here is that after the release of S&L, hardware sales have been very good for the PSP. It doesn't change the fact software sales are lacking though. I think you're one of the guys that's rather negative on Wii's software sales. Look at it this way, with less than half of the titles released on the Wii and a far smaller userbase Wii has almost sold as much software as PSP. Of course comparing it to DS would be even less favourable.

I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging PSP's current success while pointing out it's main problem.
I think the problem is when you bring it up every week in a very "but-but" sort of manner

First day sales

PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui - 60.000
NDS L: The Prologue to Death Note - Rasen no Wana - 6.000
PSP Coded Soul: Uke Keigareshi Idea - 5.000
WII Major Wii Nagero! Gyroball - 3.000 (bombs)

360 Battlestations: Midway
WII Oneechanbara Revolution
PS3 Transformers: The Game
PS2 Transformers: The Game
About 1.000 all of them

Probably 100k-ish first week. Not bad at all. The PSP HW bump will be decent too because of the bundle.

Well, that fucking sucks. Though Folksoul bombed too, so it could almost be expected.

WII Oneechanbara Revolution - ~1000
I'm guessing this is about average for Oneechanbara games.

Phife Dawg said:

The only thing left for GAF is to call PSP hardware sales since S&L bad. If we didn't agree on that, we should disable comments on these threads.
You think wrong btw, I'm not one of the guys negative with Wii sw sales. I'm one of the guys that says that Wii 3rd party sales are bad. Anyone just has to see those threads you linked to notice the breakdown pictures a Nintendo-pacman. Comparing Wii and PSP certainly isn't going to do any good, just compare DS and PS2, handhelds can't compete with home consoles tie ratios.

I'd say you guys should look at PSP releases individually since S&L introduction rather than saying weekly that PSP LTD sw sales are bad, something we already know. Yes, PSP sells 70k in a week and there aren't 30 games in the top50 like DS. Has PSP had the support to do such thing? Look at the PSP games released lately and think how they have done individually. To me, most of them are doing pretty good, and that doesn't change anything about the horrible tie ratio, total sw sales, 2005-2006 bombs or weekly tie-ratio now.

(this post was delayed because of the first day data lol)

nli10

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Yeah dude, I think that's what he was referring to. No one brings up Phyrrus without knowing that he originated the phrase "phyrric victory". Unless you were explaining the joke for the benefit of everyone else?

Yup - I thought a funny and bang on comment went largely unnoticed so instead of going :lol and hitting send I made it more informative. Sony taking mindshare from the DS but in the segment of the market that really doesn't seem to want to buy games is perfectly summed up by the whole Phyrrhic victory thing.

Ethlered said:

Actually GBC carts don't fit in the GB originals, the carts don't have the locking notch so you can't turn it on. Some GBC games had B&W versions (I have a Wario GBC game in the B&W only version) but none of the transparent carted GBC games will play in any system before the GBC. I can provide pics if necessary :D

That said, the tiny lifespan of the GBC is reason enough to bundle the sales together so I would in any sales analysis. Think of it more like the 32X and N64 expansion pack really.

Dengeki data: http://dol.dengeki.com/soft/ranking.html

1. Brawl - 822k (95% sell through)
2. DMC4 PS3 - 205k (65% sell through)
3. ToD DC - 107k (#3 like MC and unlike Famitsu, original ToD PS2 389k, thus ~500k combined)
4. Suzumiya Haruhi - 97k
6. Disgaea 3 - 52k

Total hardware 276k (7.4% increase over last week)
Total software 2291k (101.4% increase over last week)

justjohn said:
is that good or bad for the series? i think namco were expecting 200k first week
Bad compared to the latest entry (on PS2 and it was 2002), although its 4 times the start of the previous PSP one (which was a port though). Yes, Namco expected that but around 2 or 3 titles break Namco expectations each century, and I don't know but it sounds unlikely they even shipped anything near that amount.

Scotch

As someone who couldn't care less about handhelds, this is a good sales week. All the home consoles on the rise, only two handheld games in the top 10.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

NDS L: The Prologue to Death Note - Rasen no Wana - 6.000
WII Major Wii Nagero! Gyroball - 3.000 (bombs)

360 Battlestations: Midway
WII Oneechanbara Revolution
PS3 Transformers: The Game
PS2 Transformers: The Game
About 1.000 all of them
Never heard of it before. So the expectations for this were bigger? Apparently Coded Souls isn't a bomb, so expectations were extremely low after the Folks Soul debacle?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The only thing left for GAF is to call PSP hardware sales since S&L bad. If we didn't agree on that, we should disable comments on these threads.
You think wrong btw, I'm not one of the guys negative with Wii sw sales. I'm one of the guys that says that Wii 3rd party sales are bad. Anyone just has to see those threads you linked to notice the breakdown pictures a Nintendo-pacman. Comparing Wii and PSP certainly isn't going to do any good, just compare DS and PS2, handhelds can't compete with home consoles tie ratios.

I'd say you guys should look at PSP releases individually since S&L introduction rather than saying weekly that PSP LTD sw sales are bad, something we already know. Yes, PSP sells 70k in a week and there aren't 30 games in the top50 like DS. Has PSP had the support to do such thing? Look at the PSP games released lately and think how they have done individually. To me, most of them are doing pretty good, and that doesn't change anything about the horrible tie ratio, total sw sales, 2005-2006 bombs or weekly tie-ratio now.

(this post was delayed because of the first day data lol)
There have been more extreme examples of denseness on GAF than saying that current PSP hw sales aren't all that good.

I wasn't comparing tie-ratio but total software sales. DS-PS2 wouldn't be fair since PS2 has been on the market for way longer than DS. In the case of Wii and PSP the comparison isn't fair for Wii yet software sales are almost equal.

Apart from that I think it's fairly obvious that third parties can have success on the PSP, just like they can have success on the Wii - I don't think anyone would disagree.

There seems to be a stigma that the DS will stop selling now that it's at the 20+ million benchmark, which simply makes no sense. Yes the monstrous sales it has been achieving are declining weekly, but that doesn't mean the DS is going down to zero.

But as far as the monstrous 100K plus norm weeks we were seeing for the DS, I don't see that continuuing shy of a price drop. This is when price drops have their most effect, when the hardware dropping has such a diverse and expanding library that you can swing getting more than one. The fact that we're talking about a portable increases this ability.

Phife Dawg said:
Never heard of it before. So the expectations for this were bigger? Apparently Coded Souls isn't a bomb, so expectations were extremely low after the Folks Soul debacle?
I never heard of it either :lol I was just translating sinobi comments, I suppose it had a big shipment and those sales mean a low sell through. For Coded Soul he only says thats its an original game (as in new ip).

Phife Dawg said:
There have been more extreme examples of denseness on GAF than saying that current PSP hw sales aren't all that good.
Well, I'm being positive with the DS comments about its hw sales this week, I think they are sarcastic. Either that or retarded. Again I'm trying to be positive :p

Parl

As the DS Lite is reaching saturation point at its launch price point, there's several options.

- First ever price drop
- New model
- More software

To increase hardware sales back to monster levels again (even if not quite as monster as early last year), I think Nintendo will either have a price drop or a new model this year, or both.

As for new software, I don't think DQIX will succeed in giving DS hardware a long-term boost, but will give it a good boost temporarily. I think for software, Nintendo need to release entertainment/applications that appeal to non-DS owners, so definitely not traditional games, and not sequels to current Touch Generation software, but new ways to use DS.

And this is what Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san have been talking about in recent times.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I never heard of it either :lol I was just translating sinobi comments, I suppose it had a big shipment and those sales mean a low sell through. For Coded Soul he only says thats its an original game (as in new ip).
I guessed so, not really educated on the ~Soul stuff but I thought Folks and Coded shared some characters amongst other things? Oh well, beats me.

ElFly

I like that the increase in software sales this week, and the percentage of sales that Smash had are more or less the same.

nli10

Parl said:
As for new software, I don't think DQIX will succeed in giving DS hardware a long-term boost, but will give it a good boost temporarily. I think for software, Nintendo need to release entertainment/applications that appeal to non-DS owners, so definitely not traditional games, and not sequels to current Touch Generation software, but new ways to use DS.

And this is what Iwata-san and Miyamoto-san have been talking about in recent times.

I think 'useful games' was the term thrown around for the next series of titles - maths, memory, sight, etc. These are more aimed at keeping the BT purchassers interested.

Maths Training is out today in Europe (did Japan get this yet?) and should be interesting to see whether it follows Brain or Sight in its sales patterns. It's a lot more brains on than the entry level Brain Training games and has the same aims as sight training - less game more work.

If the first 2 BT games didn't convince you to buy the system a third certainly wont so I am glad they have steered clear of that.

I'd Pre-Order/Buy a Michel Thomas language training game in a heartbeat though!

DS needs a new 'kidults' title like Nintendogs to get the younger kids involved. Those that got the original Nintendogs Phat packs are 2 years older now and moving on. i gues M&S@O DS is this market though.

Top Bottom