• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Wada Yoichis Interview with Nikkei

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quazar

Maztorre said:
Square don't have "shows" so much as they have rooms in the hidden basements of Tokyo where the legendary JUMP FESTA PRIVATE TRAILER EXTRAVAGANZA takes place. Somehow each year the exact same person finds this private theatre and reports back with EXCLUSIVE OFF-SCREEN PICTURES and 10 seconds of new footage.

That person has the shittiest cellphone camera in Japan.

True :lol :lol

ksamedi

A FF VII remake for the DS would be technically difficult and pointless at the same time because

1) The game used to be big and would be hard to fit on a relativly small DS cart.
2) The graphics could be improved, but not by much so it would go against what the previous FF remakes on the DS already did and that is dramatically improve the graphics.
3) A remake of FF VII would be better suited for the PSP because of Crisis Core or PS3 because of the Playstation brand and FF VII ascosiation.
4) A FF VII remake would sell on any platform.

Lobster

Banned
farnham said:
kinda funny considering FF 7 isn't really the best looking FF game on the PSone.. I thought it was all about gameplay..

A remake isn't going to change the gameplay at all. Its only about the technical side of things when it comes to remakes.

If FF7 was put on PSN, it would be all about the gameplay but fans would still clamor on for a FF7 remake.

ksamedi said:
A FF VII remake for the DS would be technically difficult and pointless at the same time because

1) The game used to be big and would be hard to fit on a relativly small DS cart.
2) The graphics could be improved, but not by much so it would go against what the previous FF remakes on the DS already did and that is dramatically improve the graphics.
3) A remake of FF VII would be better suited for the PSP because of Crisis Core or PS3 because of the Playstation brand and FF VII ascosiation.

1)DS version would be smaller..a lot of the prerendered stuff really made the game big. It could also cut off pointless FMVs. It would be as big as DQ9 for DS.

2)The graphics would still be an improvement. Number 2 also further agrees with my "fans only want better graphics" theory.

3)So?? DQ was associated with the Playstation brand, Monster Hunter was associated with the Playstation brand, Resident Evil was mostly associated with the Nintendo brand. We all saw what happened to these series.

4)It would sell but would it sell well? I'd imagine it hit a million on PSP but being heavily advertised like Crisis Core. We never got reports of that sort of advertising for the FF games on DS yet they sold better then Crisis Core. It wouldn't hit a million on Ps3..Highest I'd give it is 500k.

FFVIIre would sell on all platforms but the ideal platform would be the DS or Wii.

Amir0x

Banned
Lobster said:
You mean the graphics would be better and in the end, thats the only thing that matters to the fans.

Everything would be better. Every last thing, from sound to gameplay to graphics to features. The whole nine yards. There's not a single thing in FFVII that would be improved by waggle, by any magical wonder of the mind, so the only beneficial thing would be that it may sell more on Wii. And that matters:

To real gamers.

farnham said:
Uh... I would like a 360 version with achievements and micro transactions then..

Me too! I'd take a 360 version. "PS3" here is just moonlighting for "legitimate next-gen system.'

farnham

Banned
ksamedi said:

1. they could completely re - do the game... with more chibi characters like FF III or FF IV
2. they dont have to be improved.. DQ IV on DS is actually a downgraded DQ IV PSone.. DQ V will probably be evenmore downgraded since DQV was on PS2
3. then again FF7 CC sold less then DQ IV remake or FF III... (we still dunno how FF IV will turnout... )
4. probably not on N GAGE

Lobster said:
A remake isn't going to change the gameplay at all. Its only about the technical side of things when it comes to remakes.

If FF7 was put on PSN, it would be all about the gameplay but fans would still clamor on for a FF7 remake.

If you look at REmake.. they actually did some gameplay tweaks.. but yeah id give you that..

but if you would port it on DS it would have portability...

Nintendo milked the shit out of gamers with the excuse of portability.. (they even remade Smash All stars splitted it and published every part of it as a separate package)

Amir0x said:
Everything would be better. Every last thing, from sound to gameplay to graphics to features. The whole nine yards. There's not a single thing in FFVII that would be improved by waggle, by any magical wonder of the mind, so the only beneficial thing would be that it may sell more on Wii. And that matters:
'

I wasnt proposing the thought of a Wiimake...

nah.. that probably wont happen.. but a DSmake..

sphinx

the piano man
Lightning said:
They won't do that, of that I am very sure.

how so?

If SE wants to get out of this FFXIII exclusive on PS3 adventure unharmed, they'll have to take action.

At this point, I don't think the game will be cancelled or moved on to wii or any other fanboy stuff but something must be done. Right know, with FFXIII exclusive on PS3, the FF franchise is rolling down fast in an obstacle-free cliff straight down to hell. It will sell 500k-600 LTD in japan with the current climate in Japan, which is catastrophic.

The only thing that would lessen the impact of selling 500k - 600k LTD of their main FF game is making it less important. Giving the game a title is some kind of life saving option I'd go for if I was Wada.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
farnham said:
kinda funny considering FF 7 isn't really the best looking FF game on the PSone.. I thought it was all about gameplay..

At the time it came out it was pretty damn awesome.

sphinx said:
how so?

If SE wants to get out of this FFXIII exclusive on PS3 adventure unharmed, they'll have to take action.

At this point, I don't think the game will be cancelled or moved on to wii or any other fanboy stuff but something must be done. Right know, with FFXIII exclusive on PS3, the FF franchise is rolling down fast in an obstacle-free cliff straight down to hell. It will sell 500k-600 LTD in japan with the current climate in Japan, which is catastrophic.

The only thing that would lessen the impact of selling 500k - 600k LTD of their main FF game is making it less important. Giving the game a title is some kind of life saving option I'd go for if I was Wada.

I was reading an article on the hypothetical possibility of parallel universes and wondering how their existence could ever be proven. Thank you.

Skilletor

sphinx said:
how so?

Giving it a subtitle is suddenly going to make it cost less to make?

farnham

Banned
lordmrw said:
I find it amazing that so many are taking the rumor that Crystal Bearers was scrapped as fact.

Wasnt the Chrystal Bearers logo shown separately to the FFCC little king logo some time ago..?

It might not sell that well, but I honestly wouldn't want to see an FFVII remake on anything other than 360 or PS3. The only revision I personally would want would be to the graphics, and the leap just wouldn't be there on the Wii, and especially not on the DS.

Lobster

Banned
Amir0x said:

'

I don't want a FF7re on Wii or at all but I think the only thing that matters to fans is graphics. You may be in the minority since you're actually a really smart person but the only reason fans want a remake is because of this..

final-fantasy-vii-technical-demo-for-ps3-20060119005805734.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I want a remake in next-gen for three reasons.

1. The visuals of FFVII are eye-rapingly bad. PS360 can save.
2. The audio can be upgraded to FULL ORCHESTRATED SCORE DOLBY 28.1 SURROUND HOMG
3. We can get a translation that actually makes sense.

Bonus:

Aeris comes back to life LOL

farnham

Banned
Amir0x said:
People want a remake, not a downgraded port.

People in what..?? Yes more PS3 owners would want a remake on the PS3..

But more DS owners would want a remake on the DS..

And that would mean.. more DS owners want a downgraded half assed broken FF7 port on DS
(even if you exclude the PS3 owners that own a DS.. assuming every PS3 user has a DS)

After the epic self-fellatio session that was Advent Children, it's impossible to see how Nomura would do FFVIIR on anything but the most powerful hardware available... in 2010.

Amir0x

Banned
farnham said:
People in what..?? Yes more PS3 owners would want a remake on the PS3..

And that would mean.. more DS owners want a FF7 remake on DS
(even if you exclude the PS3 owners that own a DS.. assuming every PS3 user has a DS)

Right right, but that doesn't make sense since if a DS owner actually wanted a remake by default they'd have to hope for something on PSP minimum. Otherwise, downgraded port total.

Paracelsus

farnham said:

Which would not really be a remake, but rather a port with slightly enhanced graphics. You could not even boost the sound that much.

farnham

Banned
BTW...just for the people that just started digging in... there was no mentioning about FF7 remakes in this interview..

Paracelsus said:
Which would not really be a remake, but rather a port with slightly enhanced graphics. You could not even boost the sound that much.

point taken

Amir0x

Banned
MassiveAttack said:
After the epic self-fellatio session of Advent Children, it's impossible to see how Nomura would do FFVIIR on anything but the most powerful hardware available... in 2010.

Don't you mean:

It's impossible FFVIIR will be anything but 48 hours worth of CG renders of Nomura masturbating directly toward the camera?

Innotech

Banned
most of the FF7/Cloud/Tifa fans I know of cant even afford a wii much less a Ps3. Im guessing this is because they tend to be a younger crowd to which FF7 is still new to them. For everyone else, I dont think they even care that much about it anymore. Its sort of similar to the niGHTS rebirth. a few of us cared and bought the game, but for all the crazy hype and such over 11 years youd think there would be more sales (and sorry you didnt like it amirox but its getting pretty good reception in most places from people who got past the shitty cutscenes). Although Ive been reading some new rumors on NID about a possible 3rd game, so perhaps Sega is pleased with the reception. Or theyre desperate :lol

Maztorre

S-E will probably just bite the bullet and stick with FFXIII on PS3, since if anything it'll be something out there with pretty graphics they can use to promote the overall FFXIII series of games (urgh) instead of shoving Wii graphics in everyone's faces (and nobody wants that). I imagine they'll have a fairly long line of Wii/DS spin-offs of FFXIII anyway, so it'll all cross-promote. I can almost hear Wada whispering "brand synergy" into my ear as I type.

The real casualty will probably be anything they planned re: FFXIV or other PS3 projects using the White Engine, since they'll really only get a handful of games out of that at most after all the effort.

ksamedi

I think we should first wait for an FF V announcement for the DS before we talk about FF VII DS. All we have on a remake is some footage for the PS3 and a denial of it being in development. DS FF VII remake is not happening and if it is, its not anyime soon.

Paracelsus said:
I have a feeling Square-Enix is going to do both, judging by their past history.

Crappy graphic remake on DS
Amazing Graphic remake on a next-gen console, MAYBE next generation.

Amir0x

Banned
Innotech said:
most of the FF7/Cloud/Tifa fans I know of cant even afford a wii much less a Ps3. Im guessing this is because they tend to be a younger crowd to which FF7 is still new to them. For everyone else, I dont think they even care that much about it anymore. Its sort of similar to the niGHTS rebirth. a few of us cared and bought the game, but for all the crazy hype and such over 11 years youd think there would be more sales (and sorry you didnt like it amirox but its getting pretty good reception in most places from people who got past the shitty cutscenes). Although Ive been reading some new rumors on NID about a possible 3rd game, so perhaps Sega is pleased with the reception. Or theyre desperate :lol

Even if they were 10 when FFVII came out, they're 20 now.

Also your NiGHTS analogy was horrible. The original wasn't a system seller, hardcore by default, and the sequel sucked ass.

Small initial userbase, shitty followup and buzz = LOW sales.

Paracelsus

farnham said:
BTW...just for the people that just started digging in... there was no mentioning about FF7 remakes in this interview..

S-E is well-known for milking famous IP till the last drop.

You got the prequel, you got the spin-off, you got sort of a sequel cg-movie. All that's left is the remake.

farnham

Banned
Innotech said:

Well basically they said that if there would be nights 3 it would be on Wii or something like that

farnham

Banned
ksamedi said:
I think we should first wait for an FF V announcement for the DS before we talk about FF VII DS. All we have on a remake is some footage for the PS3 and a denial of it being in development. DS FF VII remake is not happening and if it is, its not anyime soon.

This is bound to happen... SE enix is just earning too much money on the FF and DQ remakes they have done on the DS

Christopher

Lobster said:

1)DS version would be smaller..a lot of the prerendered stuff really made the game big. It could also cut off pointless FMVs. It would be as big as DQ9 for DS.

2)The graphics would still be an improvement. Number 2 also further agrees with my "fans only want better graphics" theory.

3)So?? DQ was associated with the Playstation brand, Monster Hunter was associated with the Playstation brand, Resident Evil was mostly associated with the Nintendo brand. We all saw what happened to these series.

4)It would sell but would it sell well? I'd imagine it hit a million on PSP but being heavily advertised like Crisis Core. We never got reports of that sort of advertising for the FF games on DS yet they sold better then Crisis Core. It wouldn't hit a million on Ps3..Highest I'd give it is 500k.

FFVIIre would sell on all platforms but the ideal platform would be the DS or Wii.

Yawn. This nintendo apologist act is getting old in every thread.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Sheesh Amirox! How many blu-ray discs would it take to hold, with a 40-50 million dollar budget? I consider myself a gamer as much as anyone, but I still realize it's important to be reasonable and realistic. If you start making games like that, it'd do more damage to the industry than Nintendo's non-games could ever do in the minds of elitists. :p

Innotech

Banned
Amir0x said:
Even if they were 10 when FFVII came out, they're 20 now.

Also your NiGHTS analogy was horrible. The original wasn't a system seller, hardcore by default, and the sequel sucked ass.

Small initial userbase, shitty followup and buzz = LOW sales.
the sequel didnt suck ass. It wasnt OMFG awesome but it was pretty decent. and the gameplay is still very much there along with some surprising depth I didnt expect to see. Even Segata liked it and he is known for killing people when they mess with Sega or its properties :lol

Jiggy

So basically Wii will get an FFVII
minigame collection
remake with waggle. "Now you can slap Scarlet!"

...Actually, that sounds better to me than the real deal, although obviously I'm not representative of gamers as a whole--hey, I'm unashamed to say I played the snowboarding game (the Golden Saucer one, AKA the one with music) for about five hours when it opened up, seeing as it bored me much less than everything else.

An FFIX remake would be awesometastic, however. :D

farnham

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
Sheesh Amirox! How many blu-ray discs would it take to hold, with a 40-50 million dollar budget? I consider myself a gamer as much as anyone, but I still realize it's important to be reasonable and realistic. If you start making games like that, it'd do more damage to the industry than Nintendo's non-games could ever do in the minds of elitists. :p

Nintendos non games did damage..??

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Amir0x said:
I want a remake in next-gen for three reasons.

1. The visuals of FFVII are eye-rapingly bad. PS360 can save.
2. The audio can be upgraded to FULL ORCHESTRATED SCORE DOLBY 28.1 SURROUND HOMG
3. We can get a translation that actually makes sense.

Bonus:

Aeris comes back to life LOL

Uematsu Nobuo's Final Fantasy VII soundtrack in uncompressed audio...oh man that would be awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
vanguardian1 said:

How many Blu-Ray Discs? Um... I imagine one Blu-Ray disc?

How many DVDs? Now that's the question!

Segata said:
the sequel didnt suck ass. It wasnt OMFG awesome but it was pretty decent. and the gameplay is still very much there along with some surprising depth I didnt expect to see. Even Segata liked it and he is known for killing people when they mess with Sega or its properties

Segata had convinced himself it'd be worth it MONTHS before it came out, don't fool yourself for one damn second about that. I was, likewise, always skeptical... but as NiGHTS was one of my all-time favorite games, the abomination SEGA came out with for the sequel is neither a good homage, or even a taste of the testicle juice from the original. Bitch was a shoddy excuse in every conceivable fashion. Maybe if you're desperate for Wii games you'll consider it worthy to your collection, but that shit was junked instant I beat it. Crap. 4.0/10

sphinx

the piano man
Skilletor said:
Giving it a subtitle is suddenly going to make it cost less to make?

It will allow SE to actually stop investing as much money as originally planned.

We got a FFXII: revenant wings for DS and noone was pissed because it was a good, decent 8/10 game and not the 2nd coming of christ, which would require more money and resources. Why do fans consent FFXII:RW being just o.k? because it's not a main line FF, thanks to the Title " revenant wings ".

If squares names the PS3 game, say, " FFXIII: lightning's adventure " it turns into a non-mainline game, which in turn makes it o.k in eyes of everyone if it does not have a mega budget.

It's just what I think, If it pisses the mods off, I'll stop. I know they don't like it when this sort of ideas take off as actual possibilites.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, we certainly don't want this on Wii. You guys already gonna get to rape Monster Hunter 3 out of its potential, leave FFVII's one chance ever at being a decent game (at least on a visual/audio level) alone.

Lobster

Banned
Christopher said:
Yawn. This nintendo apologist act is getting old in every thread.

Nintendo apologist? I don't even want a FFVIIre.

I was just commenting that it is very much possible to put the game on DS and its actually the most sensible platform for it to be on.

Every sales age contributer would agree.

Amir0x said:
Well, we certainly don't want this on Wii. You guys already gonna get to rape Monster Hunter 3 out of its potential, leave FFVII's one chance ever at being a decent game (at least on a visual/audio level) alone.

:lol

This is mainly the reason I would want a FFVIIre on Wii...

:lol

You guys realise that the forum would probably have to be locked down till everybody cools down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom