• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Just for the sake of this thread, were I in this situation I cease interacting with this person altogether. If I was stuck on this trip with them, I would buy a 20 pack of chicken nuggets as often as needed and pack my pockets with them, eating them whenever I could, leaving them in seats and beds around the place we were staying.

KHarvey16

Not wanting to watch people eat dead animals is not "shitty behavior". Now if he was overly-dramatic about it or he has some secret agenda to guilt-trip non-vegans, then yes that would be shitty behavior. But let's not get those two things mixed up.

Why do you interpret that as only referring to "watching other people eat dead animals"? Do you honestly think the desire to not watch that is what people think he did wrong?

I know some people who can't stand the smell of fish, it makes them physically ill. So maybe it was just that. Otherwise, if the guy can't be around people eating fish/meat then he and his wife should be able to dine alone and bring/make their own food. Its wrong to expect everyone else to conform to your meal requirements, but its also wrong to expect people who can't eat with you for whatever reason to force themselves to sit with you.

My daughter was vegetarian for a long time and once she was old enough she cooked her own meals, it made her happy and made it easier for the rest of us.

I'd let him go because he doesn't seem like the type of person I'd want to sit down to dinner with anyway.

You can bet that if he had stayed you'd be getting an earful about why eating meat is wrong.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I don't see how he did.

That's a you problem. In society, and as adults, you don't declare your disdain for another persons way of life and then separate yourself as he did at a dinner he was invited to.

and they bought and ate animals who he believed were free and had the right to their own life. So let's just call it even right?

He should have worked that out before he accepted the invite. Don't assume everyone is gonna eat a strickly vegan because you've made that life choice.

But I hope they OPs family exiles the dude regardless. Problem solved.

shandy706

Not wanting to watch people eat dead animals is not "shitty behavior". Now if he was overly-dramatic about it or he has some secret agenda to guilt-trip non-vegans, then yes that would be shitty behavior. But let's not get those two things mixed up.

They're talking about disrespect of a host. You act like an adult, suck it up, and eat with your parents/in-laws. You also thank them for fixing something for you.

I've been to meals where something wasn't appetizing...I stayed and socialized while eating what I could stomach.

and they bought and ate animals who he believed were free and had the right to their own life. So let's just call it even right?

Nope...you respect the host and sit with them. You get over yourself in that situation.

Some people really are all about "me" now it seems.

It's your sister, right?

Just say she is being ridiculous, then go back to your family and have a nice dinner. Ignore the guy.

I wouldn't react at all. Sound like the guy is a diva, and is being dramatic in order to get attention.

"Okay."

I mean, if they want to stick to their principles, they can go eat outside. I'm assuming they didn't go off on a tirade or anything. Not any skin
or scales
off your back.

Ignore him, seems like he wants attention; don't let him have the satisfaction.

Also don't invite him to any more dinners.
All of these are spot on.

No, it's the disrespect of the host that's the shitty behavior.

He's a family member, not a protester. If he has that much of an issue he should politely decline any invites to eat from now on. Accepting, then leaving the table is socially awkward at best and very rude at worst.

Zoe

and they didn't? He was the one that left to go eat somewhere else.

You didn't even bother reading what was quoted:

Not eating together won't be an option in the short-term. We're all together under the same roof for a family vacation. So I guess the rest of us will just have to eat vegetarian food (he seems to be ok with us eating vegetarian, we don't have to go full vegan) for the rest of the week

nicanica

I fail to see the issue and I don't understand people's reaction in this thread at all. He went out. Problem solved.

The issue wasn't that he solved his own problem.

The issue was they made it a point to emotionally charge an intimate social situation and disrespect the time and love by throwing a tantrum and wasting food before leaving.

When the family had no malicious intent, and even made attempts to understand their life choices. they made it a point to guilt trip the family before leaving the room.

Now the OP doesn't know how to process what happened.

So, I just had a family dinner. My sister and her husband are vegans. The food was delicious oven-baked cod and there were was a vegan alternative for my sister and her husband.

He declared that he would not be able to sit at the same table where dead fish was being consumed and left to eat outside, followed by my sister.

How would you react to this? Would it even be possible to go through life like this? Like, how would you deal with representation dinners as work? Should we as family enable such behaviour? In the real world, such silly behaviour is not acceptable. Your ability to socialize with anyone who is not a vegan would be non-existent.

Sorry, I'm rambling (and a bit upset) and can't really put together a coherent argument. Discuss.

Hey man...

If I was invited to eat dinner with cannibals, I'd sit outside too. I don't care if they made me some non-human flesh food either. I'd take it outside with me and eat alone.

Gotta stay consistent.

Some people cannot be vegan, vegetarian or whatever else without making a scene of it.

You took his "I cannot eat this" scene away with the alternative meal choice, so he had to improvise.

Invite him when it due to rain next time.

Edit: Oh you're on vacation together? Great, buy a microwave burger to heat up right as it rains during a meal.

driggonny

Banned
I'm confused. People are acting like he pre-planned and did this on purpose. Maybe he didn't realize it'd be an issue until he showed up?

Apathy

Just another moron that thinks his view is gospel.

Fuck em, don't even give then a second thought in your mind.

You know this before showing up to the dinner. Like what the fuck, did he think they were all vegans? If this was gonna be a thing isn't this easy info to gather?

It's just drama for no tangible reason.

C.Mongler

How comfortable would people in this thread feel sitting at a table where a dead dog is being consumed?

If I was willingly in an environment where I knew dead dog was consumed as a widespread, accepted, societal norm, I'd probably be kind of chill about it.

Hey man...

If I was invited to eat dinner with cannibals, I'd sit outside too. I don't care if they made me some non-human flesh food either. I'd take it outside with me and eat alone.

Gotta stay consistent.
That only really works for this scenario if the brother in law is actually a cod.

mrkgoo

Just leave him be and ignore him.

Also, what is up with people wanting to always eat more meat or whatever in front of vegans and vegetarians, even if they are being dicks? Seems childish to play games like that.

The issue wasn't that he solved his own problem.

The issue was they made it a point to emotionally charge an intimate social situation and disrespect the time and love by throwing a tantrum and wasting food before leaving.

When the family had no malicious intent, and even made attempts to understand their life choices. they made it a point to guilt trip the family before leaving the room.

Now the OP doesn't know how to process what happened.

Are we reading a completely different thread? When did he throw a tantrum and when did he waste food?

KHarvey16

I'm confused. People are acting like he pre-planned and did this on purpose. Maybe he didn't realize it'd be an issue until he showed up?

Think about that for a second. This is obviously important to him. If something were that important to you, would you try to find out first? Would you assume they wouldn't serve animal products at all?

KillLaCam

Banned
When me and my wife go to dinner somewhere, we're always served "the other" dish. We don't say anything, but it feels very disrespectful. Why not serve something everyone can eat? It's not like only vegans can eat vegan food. We're always treated differently, and it kinda sucks.

I don't think its people treating you differently. It's just that the majority of people want meat or atleast something thats not not vegan. Unless you're the special guest I cant really see many people wanting to eat a vegan meal or make a vegan meal the main meal. Its hard enough to get people to try vegetarian meals.

That was a bit of a dick move. I understand his position, but they even made him a vegan option, he should be respectful and make an effort.

So not wanting to watch people eat dead animals is disrespectful?
Yes, absolutely. Don't try to normalize shitty behavior.
Why do you interpret that as only referring to "watching other people eat dead animals"? Do you honestly think the desire to not watch that is what people think he did wrong?

I'm only responding to what the poster said; i.e., not wanting to watch people eat dead animals is disrespectful.

Nafai1123

Banned
Disrespectful as fuck. They go out of their way to make a vegan dish for them and they still pull out the pretentious bullshit? If I was OP's parents I'd probably tell them they can figure out there own dinners for the rest of the trip, cause I sure as hell wouldn't cook anything else for them.

subrock

Don't fault the guy for feeling strongly about consuming meat, but I don't think his behaviour matches the foul. If your family was sitting down to a nice meal to eat the neighbours I might agree with him, but there's a better way to go about excusing yourself if you disagree with something that strongly.

driggonny

Banned
So he went to a family dinner expecting that everyone there would be eating vegan?

Think about that for a second. This is obviously important to him. If something were that important to you, would you try to find out first? Would you assume they wouldn't serve animal products at all?

That's not what I meant.

What I meant was, maybe he hadn't had to eat around people eating meat for awhile and didn't realize he'd have an issue with it. Why does he have to have some ulterior motive?

MUnited83

For you.
If a vegan equates the life of a fish with the life of a golden retriever then they're stupid.

Like, where would it end? Can't scratch your arm because you're killing countless bacteria.
I'm not a vegan but a golden retriever's life is worth the same as a fish.

Sephzilla

I'm only responding to what the poster said; i.e., not wanting to watch people eat dead animals is disrespectful.

Eating dead animals is a societal norm in most if not all countries. If he didn't want to see people eating dead animals then he should have declined the offer to eat there. Instead he came over and decided he couldn't even dine with them because they elected to eat the way they chose to eat in the confines of their own home, and he made a scene out of it even though he should have logically known it was going to happen ahead of time. That's disrespectful.

shandy706

I feel like we only have one side of the story. I'd love to hear what the other side of the story is.

"My brother-in-law picked on me for being vegan, so I went outside and ate."

Even if the OP is a jerk, you still act like an adult and eat with family.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
You eat what you want to eat. Other people eat what they want to eat. Deal with it. Not everybody has to eat how you eat because you're there. If I go to a vegan's house for dinner I kind of expect vegan food and wouldn't huff and puff about the lack of a "non vegan option". But you're suggesting that non-vegans shouldn't serve anybody meat if a vegan is present? That's ridiculous.

You're treated differently because you made a niche choice that requires you to be treated differently. That doesn't mean everyone else needs to follow your niche choices in your presence.

Disrespectful would be serving only meat/fish and laughing at you if you asked for something else. Preparing an entirely separate meal to accomodate someone is the opposite of disrespectful.

We don't whine about it. We eat what we get. But how nice would you feel if you were invited somewhere, and the table is full of food, and then you only get a something like a side dish.

It will make you think that maybe we'll just decline next time. It's not like cooking a vegan meal for one day is gonna require a lot from, well, anyone. It's as simple as saying "let's try a vegan lasanga tonight instead of the one we usually make".

How does it make sense to instead make one ordinary lasagna, then maybe one extra lasagna, or maybe not an extra vegan lasagna. The vegans can just eat the lettuce, right? They like that.

How hard is it to understand that cooking a vegan meal is just that, a meal? We're having the vegans over, so let's try a vegan one! It's not like it's dangerous. Hell, you might even like it.

Edit: I see several people are quoting this post, and I wrote it in a way that makes it seem to some like this is a huge deal to me that I'm very angry about. It's not. I

Top Bottom