• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

:lol another brilliant move by Square Enix! Hey you morons, PSP has a PSOne emulator now!! Try putting this old ass game on the PSN instead of reselling it with some anime scenes for 50 clams.

LAME!

Mau ®

Doom_Bringer said:
:lol another brilliant move by Square Enix! Hey you morons, PSP has a PSOne emulator now!! Try putting this old ass game on the PSN instead of reselling it with some anime scenes for 50 clams.

LAME!

Do you really think SE will put any major (or even minor) FF game on the PSN (for PSP) when they can release it for probably thrice the price and make a ton more $$$.

Then again you never know. I do see them releasing the 2d games on the PSN for PS3 with 1080p and stuff. I wonder how much will they charge for that though...

ethelred

Doom_Bringer said:

LAME!

They're morons for rereleasing the game in such a way as to make more money...?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Chris Michael said:
If they wanted to make more money they would have put it on the DS.
porting this from PS1 to PSP is easier than porting from PS1 to do the DS methinks.

Amzin

trancejeremy said:
I understood it, I thought it stunk.

That's why I deliberately chose "protagonist" to describe him, not "hero". I mean, basically you do all the work, and he gets all the credit and the princess (who later kills him).

What a ripoff! While you ride off in the sunset with your sister, into obscurity.

Actually,
He killed the princess. Because she actually knew what happened, I think, but his motives are a little blurry for most of the game. He was a huge, massive jag the whole game and wound up king somehow.

Fady K

Phew, good to see another Square-Enix game on the PSP. And a great one at that!! Cant wait, ive always wanted an FFT on PSP, and id take the original over a tactics advance anyday.

As for A2, ill get it as im a Square-Enix-freak. I just hope its a lot looooooot better than the first advance.

cvxfreak

Error2k4 said:
porting this from PS1 to PSP is easier than porting from PS1 to do the DS methinks.

They should have gone the Capcom route. Port the game to DS with all their might, then offer it for PSone download later. :lol

GhostSeed

ffta01.jpg

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Looking at that logo, I predict the Ivalice Alliance will consist of thirtheen games. Square Enix is clever like that.

Aeana

Cedille said:
The producer of these Ivalice games is Kawazu :(

Expected. He produced FFXII, after all.
Just leave that "use it to improve it" leveling crap out and I've got no problem.

jarrod

Banned
John Harker said:
What else has he done?
FFII, SaGa series, Legend of Mana, Wild Card, FFCC series, Code Age Commanders, FFXII. The latter he's become less personally involved in though (going from director to producer to executive producer).

jarrod said:
The latter he's become less personally involved in though (going from director to producer to executive producer).

Incidentally, it's the best game of the lot.

FFII was the only FF in which I had to tell myself 'It's the last dungeon. The last dungeon. It'll be over soon.'

The music was pretty good.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
jarrod said:
FFII, SaGa series, Legend of Mana, Wild Card, FFCC series, Code Age Commanders, FFXII. The latter he's become less personally involved in though (going from director to producer to executive producer).

Uh, werent the majority of those considered.... no-so-good?
Well, at least I consider them... not-so-good.

('cept FFXII, of course... but its not like he directed the thing for real. Never liked SaGa, LoM was uhh cute, I guess, Code Age bombed, FFCC has one entry and it was decent)

Zweisy1

Kawazu is hit and miss but at least his work is always interesting... can't say the same for Kitase.

More FFT is always good news. Hopefully FFTA2 will turn out better than the first one.

But as much as I'd like a new Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre I dont think I'd want Square Enix to do one without Matsuno..

ethelred

It's pretty funny seeing you guys freaking out over the thought of Kawazu being involved even in a supervisory role over these games. :lol

Kawazu's one of Square Enix's top executive producers, so he probably just took over Matsuno's division when Matsuno left. We already knew he was executive producing FFXII: Revenant Wings (which is why it's on the DS and not the PS2, as Kawazu loves Nintendo), so it's hardly a shock to hear he's going to executive produce the other new game being made by the remnants of Matsuno's division (and again, this is why it's on the DS instead of the PSP).

If you're that afraid of anything he has oversight of, be aware that he sits on Square Enix's Board of Directors so he could potentially get his evil Kawazewwwy tentacles into every game you know and love! :lol

ethelred said:
It's pretty funny seeing you guys freaking out over the thought of Kawazu being involved even in a supervisory role over these games. :lol

Kawazu's one of Square Enix's top executive producers, so he probably just took over Matsuno's division when Matsuno left. We already knew he was executive producing FFXII: Revenant Wings (which is why it's on the DS and not the PS2, as Kawazu loves Nintendo), so it's hardly a shock to hear he's going to executive produce the other new game being made by the remnants of Matsuno's division (and again, this is why it's on the DS instead of the PSP).

If you're that afraid of anything he has oversight of, be aware that he sits on Square Enix's Board of Directors so he could potentially get his evil Kawazewwwy tentacles into every game you know and love! :lol

But I don't understand! Who am I supposed to hate again?

duckroll

ethelred said:
We already knew he was executive producing FFXII: Revenant Wings (which is why it's on the DS and not the PS2, as Kawazu loves Nintendo)

That's not true. So the rest of what you said is now irrelevant. :(

FFXIIRW is by PDD1, not PDD4. Surprisingly, it's handled by the FFX-2 and upcoming FFXIII team. Kawazu is not involved in anyway. FFT PSP is just the second game he has taken from Matsuno.

And here's some real news:

FFT PSP will feature remixed BGM from the original compositions. The executive producer of the project is Kawazu.

FFTA2 DS will not be a direct sequel of the previous FFTA game, but instead follow very closely in style and presentation. The gameplay systems are said to be largely unchanged.

duckroll said:
FFTA2 DS will not be a direct sequel of the previous FFTA game, but instead follow very closely in style and presentation. The gameplay systems are said to be largely unchanged.

Please, SE, fix the law system. PLEASE.

ethelred

duckroll said:

Well, which part isn't true?

It was confirmed that he's producing FFXII: RW, and the guy is a big fan of Nintendo. And I know why Motomu Toriyama said that RW is on the DS, but I'm still going to go with it being Kawazu's move!

Actually, I still think it began when Matsuno was in still charge and it was originally OB DS, but let me tease the Kawazu-haters a bit longer.

Edit:

Okay, I see you modified your post.

duckroll said:
FFXIIRW is by PDD1, not PDD4. Surprisingly, it's handled by the FFX-2 and upcoming FFXIII team. Kawazu is not involved in anyway. FFT PSP is just the second game he has taken from Matsuno.

I know Toriyama is directing, but the news that was passed on a long while back, when the game was first unveiled, had Kawazu listed as executive producer.

Here's where duckroll himself confirms Kawazu's involvement:

duckroll said:
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings (NDS)

- Director and Scenario: Motomu Toriyama (FFX-2, FFXIII)
- Character Design: Ryuma Itou (FFTA)
- Art Superviser: 上国科 勇
- Art Director: Matsuda (松田俊考)
- Movie Director: Eiji Fujii
- Composer: Hitoshi Sakimoto, Kenichirou Fukui
- Producer: 渡辺泰仁
- Co-Producer: 横山栄介
- Executive Producer: Kawazu

Fady K

Error2k4 said:
oh shit really?

interest +10000000000000000

Kawazu :( :( :( :( :(

Aeana said:
Expected. He produced FFXII, after all.
Just leave that "use it to improve it" leveling crap out and I've got no problem.

He did not people!

duckroll said:

And here's some real news:

FFT PSP will feature remixed BGM from the original compositions. The executive producer of the project is Kawazu.

Thanks for the info :)

duckroll said:

That sounds potentially crappy. The FFT music is basically perfect as it is, and unlike Nobuo's compositions, it's pretty much the texture that makes it work, rather than the melody. If it's, like, "we're getting an orchestra to record faithful versions of the soundtrack," maybe, but otherwise...

Er. Uh. Hrmmm. Not being a direct sequel is good, this game needs to improve the story some. Most of the gameplay systems in FFTA are really fine to keep, since it was balance issues where most of the problems came from. The law system was really a piece of crap, though, there's no way that can be good to keep around unless it's almost completely different.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Although this is off-topic and what not, but with Square Enix essentially buying Quest awhile back does this mean they own the IP to Ogre Battle itself? Or does this stay with the creator of the series (i.e. Matsuno)?

speedpop said:
Although this is off-topic and what not, but with Square Enix essentially buying Quest awhile back does this mean they own the IP to Ogre Battle itself? Or does this stay with the creator of the series (i.e. Matsuno)?

In the greatest irony of the video gaming industry, Square bought Quest to provide Matsuno with the ability to work with the Ogre IP once again, then fired him before he got to touch it. :-(

duckroll said:

:( :( :( :(

They better make it more difficult! FFTA was waaaaaaaaay too easy. I also didn't really care for the speciest class system (i.e. don't let the species get in the way of the class, so I don't have to put any numous on my team) or the aforementioned weapon leveling. I enjoyed the flexibility from FFT, and the rigidity of FFTA was...:p

Amazingly, the Law system didn't bother me; it added a bit of difficulty. :\

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Closely in style and presentation to.... which?

FFT or FFTA?

Becuase those two were hardly similiar in either style or presentation. If it follows FFTA more closely, that would be a big shame. Little children everywhere...

duckroll said:
Any mention if that was in regards to the story theme too, or just the graphics? (Art "style and presentation.")

charlequin said:
In the greatest irony of the video gaming industry, Square bought Quest to provide Matsuno with the ability to work with the Ogre IP once again, then fired him before he got to touch it. :-(

No, I think a greater irony would be Atari refusing to market Nintendo's brand spanking new Famicom system in the USA, thus forcing Nintendo to waste the time necessary to make a campaign on their own... and thus sparing Nintendo the effects of the Video Game Crash.

MoxManiac

John Harker said:
Closely in style and presentation to.... which?

FFT or FFTA?

Becuase those two were hardly similiar in either style or presentation. If it follows FFTA more closely, that would be a big shame. Little children everywhere...

You know, that wouldn't even bother me.

I just want some actual, you know, challenge. Tactics Ogre was dumbed down for GBA, and so was FFTA. I don't want to see it happen again.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I've been on a Nintendo buying streak lately. Coincidently, I just bought Final Fantasy Tactics Advance this past Sunday and am falling head over heals for it. Seriously, that game rocks! I'm also doing pretty good in FF III right now - I've never liked FF games before but these two have won me over.

ethelred

MoxManiac said:
You know, that wouldn't even bother me.

I just want some actual, you know, challenge. Tactics Ogre was dumbed down for GBA, and so was FFTA. I don't want to see it happen again.

At least FFIII shows that there is a willingness there to make hard RPGs for the DS. And Trin says that Chocobo is pretty challenging, too.

Top Bottom