• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP), Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 (DS) announced

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There's like three Kawazu fans on the entire internet and they hang out on GAF.

Interesting. I couldn't notice much new in those gameplay pages at the end, but there's a glimpse of the actual character sprite for the male Onion Knight.

I'm curious, for the Lancer section it refered to him as a Dragon Knight. Do they ever use "Dragoon" in Japan or is that an English-only title?

duckroll said:
I see you're continuing the joke character status. Doesn't it get old?

so what's so great about the art? The heads are completely weird and the hands are even bigger than the heads. you say tomato, I say tomado.

madhtr

Chris Michael said:
art is a perception by individual people. and I think the game has bad art.

oh wait sorry I forgot I always have to have the popular opinions at GAF.
It's too bad your perception isn't perfection.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Chris Michael said:
man this game had some terrible art.

yes, bad art.

...did you just say FFT has bad art?

.....haha?

5495.jpg

geox

trancejeremy said:
Thanks a lot for doing that, it's a lot of work which can often be underapreciated.

I've been on the receiving end for so many years, so it's nice to be able to give back!

Fady K

White Man said:
Excellent. He's going to **** us till we love him, people. If you want him to go away, start loving.

The man can stick around all he wants, but he aint getting no love from me till he makes a good game. (No, i dont like Unlimited SaGa, Romancing Saga, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles). I wouldve tried out Code Age Commanders if it came out here though, even though I heard it was average, it looked alright.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Fady K said:
The man can stick around all he wants, but he aint getting no love from me till he makes a good game. (No, i dont like Unlimited SaGa, Romancing Saga, or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles). I wouldve tried out Code Age Commanders if it came out here though, even though I heard it was average, it looked alright.
he doesnt care about you tho. so I guess you are screwed :D

ethelred

Mejilan said:
Am I the only one looking forward to BOTH?

Kinda. I don't usually get that excited about ports -- even if it's a port of one of my favorite RPGs. I have a long history of yelling at people who constantly want nothing but ports, or even remakes. I prefer original games, and those are usually what I get excited about. I'll probably end up replaying some of FFT on the PSX before Lion War comes out.

Fady K said:

Kawazu's made plenty of excellent games (Final Fantasy Legend I - III, Romancing SaGa I - III, SaGa Frontier, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Crystal Chronicles), and he's one of the more creative designers working in RPG development these days. It's a pity you can't accept that a game that is, perhaps, too different or unique for you is a good game despite not being tailored to your own narrow and highly questionable personal tastes.

And for the record, I still don't understand anyone who doesn't enjoy Crystal Chronicles in multiplayer. But c'est la vie, I guess.

Mejilan said:
Yeah, but surely you can't expect them to develop new TWO FFTs at once.

I'd love to replay FFT, but I don't have the console time to delve into PSOne RPGs anymore. PSN or PSP ports are perfect for them, IMHO.

I don't expect two new FFTs developed at one time, no. I'm just saying, when it comes to being excited over games, the new ones are where my priorities lie.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, but surely you can't expect them to develop new TWO FFTs at once.

I'd love to replay FFT, but I don't have the console time to delve into PSOne RPGs anymore. PSN or PSP ports are perfect for them, IMHO.

MoxManiac

ethelred said:
Kinda. I don't usually get that excited about ports -- even if it's a port of one of my favorite RPGs. I have a long history of yelling at people who constantly want nothing but ports, or even remakes. I prefer original games, and those are usually what I get excited about. I'll probably end up replaying some of FFT on the PSX before Lion War comes out.

Kawazu's made plenty of excellent games (Final Fantasy Legend I - III, Romancing SaGa I - III, SaGa Frontier, Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, Crystal Chronicles), and he's one of the more creative designers working in RPG development these days. It's a pity you can't accept that a game that is, perhaps, too different or unique for you is a good game despite not being tailored to your own narrow and highly questionable personal tastes.

And for the record, I still don't understand anyone who doesn't enjoy Crystal Chronicles in multiplayer. But c'est la vie, I guess.

I don't expect two new FFTs developed at one time, no. I'm just saying, when it comes to being excited over games, the new ones are where my priorities lie.

I honestly think Unlimited Saga really killed him in a lot of peoples' eyes :p

ethelred said:

That's what I was thinking, but maybe it's because there's barely any closure once you 'beat' the game? That didn't diminish the competitive fun though!

neptunes

Cut him some slack, I was never to fond FFT's character designs, they looked weird and unappealing. (IMO)

no attention whatsoever body proportions and most of the faces look the same

although his skill has progress over the years some of his designs haven't changed much, I guess it's his trademark style, like Toriyama.

3zh2v02.jpg
2hyxlkn.jpg

scan_01.jpg

Although, I liked what he did with Tactics advance.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
That ASH scan is making me hope Matsuno is somehow involved with the game. The true FFT2 awaits.

jarrod

Banned
Kawazu didn't have anything to do with SaGa/FFL III btw. I don't believe he even considers it part of the series actually.

neptunes said:
Cut him some slack, I was never to fond FFT's character designs, they looked weird and unappealing. (IMO)

That's his style though. If the non-artist folk can perceive disproportional dimensions of bodies to extremities, then an artist would surely see it, too. It's on purpose - it's his style. It's kind of like Fist of the North Star. The heads are very small, but I suppose it's to accentuate the scale of the bodies. His style is very appealing to me. The no-nose and rounded cheeks of each character gives them a sort of humble demeanor. It might sound like i'm looking too far into it..but think about it. Each character can mold itself into different job classes. It just makes sense to make them have basic features that are manipulated by the job system.

EDIT: And thank God it doesn't ape the generic anime look. Ugh.

ccbfan

Oh God no. Why SE, WHY?

Kawazu is heading FFTA 2. :(

I was looking forward to this too. I guess just FFT PSP unless somehow Kawazu can somehow not be Kawazu and not ruin every game he's part of. (I mean everyone knows the crappy end of FFXII had Kawazu all over it.)

duckroll

neptunes said:

although his skill has progress over the years some of his designs haven't changed much, I guess it's his trademark style, like Toriyama.

*two Yoshida pics*

*one Minaba pic*

Although, I liked what he did with Tactics advance.

Congrats, you fail at even getting the pics from the right artists! :lol

ethelred

I still think it's hilarious how for some of you, Kawazu is like a twisted amalgamation of the Boogie Man and Jack the Ripper. You see spectres of him everywhere, and it causes you to jump at shadows suspecting that everything in gaming somehow has his fingerprints over it.

ccbfan said:
Oh God no. Why SE, WHY?

Kawazu is heading FFTA 2. :(

I was looking forward to this too. I guess just FFT PSP unless somehow Kawazu can somehow not be Kawazu and not ruin every game he's part of. (I mean everyone knows the crappy end of FFXII had Kawazu all over it.)

By all indications, the ending was Yasumi Matsuno's doing. So if you want to hate anyone, hate him. :p

Kawazu's heading up FFT A2, FFT: LW, and FFXII: RW (sorry New Ducky, Old Ducky wins)! I guess you'll hate them all because of his Kawazewwwishness, even though he's only producing!

B.K.

ivysaur12 said:
Wasn't The Gran Grimore the book from FFTA?

Yeah. The book was the Grand Grimoire, but there is another one too. In Vagrant Story,
Lea Monde is the Grand Grimoire.

ivysaur12

Banned
B.K. said:
Yeah. The book was the Grand Grimoire, but there is another one too. In Vagrant Story,
Lea Monde is the Grand Grimoire.

Ahh right, I actually knew that one because of the Hamlet reference in the game. Kawazu can't kill my anticipation for FFTA2. I was probably one of the like 3 people who actually liked the game a lot.

neptunes

duckroll said:
Congrats, you fail at even getting the pics from the right artists! :lol
uhh what was he talking about?, the actual character designs right?

or was that dude talking about something different?

edit: I see what you mean, the Archaic sealed Heat pic,
they look very similar though. only YOU caught on. SHHH

ethelred

neptunes said:

Nah, I knew it was Hideo Minaba, too. I just didn't feel like pouncing. Merry Christmas. :p

neptunes said:

I was talking about the FFT art. I agree with you on the proportions and stuff.

Kawazu should totally take this opportunity to poach some of the FF12 staff for future SaGa games, in particular Jun Akiyama since the series could really use a good event director.

Top Bottom