• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Wii U Edition passes Splatoon and becomes #1 LTD on the JP Wii U eShop

Not interesting for MS in terms of potential sales. The budget/effort needed to make a version on the weakest platform (that is living its final years), and with a userbase not that big, divided with the rest of the 3DS userbase, is very likely not worth it.
Ah, thanks for explaining.

i don't think that's the case. After all, MS bothered to port the game to 2 dead consoles. Of those, one is only viable in Japan and funny enough, Minecraf helped sustain it's sales over there.

Also i don't have the exact numbers but i think the New 3DS has a higher install base than each of those 2 dead consoles.

Your thoughts?

Pokemaniac

It's climbing the charts pretty fast in NA, too. Last time I checked, it was really close to breaking into the top 10.

jholmes

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but the OP says Splatoon has sold 168,000 and Minecraft 77,000 digital on Wii U, so how has Minecraft beaten it LTD digitally on the console?

Eolz

Ah, thanks for explaining.

i don't think that's the case. After all, MS bothered to port the game to 2 dead consoles. Of those, one is only viable in Japan and funny enough, Minecraf helped sustain it's sales over there.

Also i don't have the exact numbers but i think the New 3DS has a higher install base than each of those 2 dead consoles.

Your thoughts?

So, both the Wiiu and the vita are at around 10M units sold each. The new 3DS(+LL/XL) is at about 3.4M in Japan (1M less than the Vita, 14M+ less than the regular 3DS) and we have no idea for the rest of the world (at best, might be barely 10M WW).
Now if you look at those userbases, WiiU is starving for games (no competition on eshop or elsewhere) and is family-oriented; Vita has a good niche following in the west, buying games often despite its lack of high profile games, and a bit more varied in japan.
3DS on the other hand, while being family oriented and having a pretty varied userbase, doesn't sell a lot of games digitally, and is far from being starved for games, high profile or not. There's already some clones on eshop, but the main problem, again, is that the userbase is really divided, and both the old and new 3DS are really weak in terms of hardware. Unlike the WiiU and the Vita, they can't get ports easily of various versions, whether it's from this gen, last gen, or mobile.

It's not worth it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This game is getting a retail release later down the line correct? So the sales could potentially increase.

Seems it's selling at a faster pace than the others, at least in Japan.

It's interesting how quickly it outpaced the PS4 version and how it's quickly catching up to the Vita version.

But I was told in the initial reveal thread that this was a pointless port!

They were thinking short term and not long term, like how Minecraft being on the Wii U means Nintendo and Microsoft have a working relationship and the game could potentially be released for the NX.

So, both the Wiiu and the vita are at around 10M units sold each. The new 3DS(+LL/XL) is at about 3.4M in Japan (1M less than the Vita, 14M+ less than the regular 3DS) and we have no idea for the rest of the world (at best, might be barely 10M WW).
Why bring up western Numbers? The thread is about Japan sales of Minecraft.

The Wii U is not a good performer in terms of digitales sales also, yet it did get a port.

Out of the 3 platforms the one that makes most busyness sense is the New 3DS. The only valid point against a hypothetical 3DS version is how much work it would take to port, something that we can't exactly quantify.

The rest of your reasons are not very solid. That you can justify a Wii U version instead of a 3DS one is strange since it's Nintendo's most active platform. Most people that follow your line of thinking taught that a Wii U port would be a waste of time.

Yet here we are XD

Edit: i would really like to know from a person with some actual knowledge how possible or not is a New 3DS port.

Sterok

I'm sure Minecraft on New 3DS is both feasible and would make money. But it would be a big pain to do, and the returns probably wouldn't be that big. So no one feels like doing it, and it doesn't happen.

Maybe I'm missing something really obvious, but the OP says Splatoon has sold 168,000 and Minecraft 77,000 digital on Wii U, so how has Minecraft beaten it LTD digitally on the console?

That's the thing, Splatoon's sales are as of the end of Oct and MC is as of the end of Dec after only around 2 weeks of tracking.

One, it's been said that Famitsu's numbers are merely estimates (likely less accurate than their retail numbers), but honestly I'm trying to find the exact source of Chris' claim that Splatoon is at 168k as of the end of Oct.

Famitsu claims Splatoon did a bit over 4.3k in November and in Dec it did 7.5k digitally. Thing is, after calculating all the months from Famitsu, it doesn't pass 120k for Splatoon.

Anyway, say Splatoon is at say... 180k as of Jan 3rd as Minecraft is at 77k at the same point, over the past month, Minecraft would've needed 103k to pass Splatoon by now, and for all we know Minecraft has kept up its pace after doing 77k in only two and a half weeks of tracking, you never know.

It's interesting how quickly it outpaced the PS4 version and how it's quickly catching up to the Vita version.
Minecraft has gained a lot of popularity and awareness in Japan since PS version launched over a year ago (thanks to those versions) so it's not that surprising that on a platform that has pretty much perfect demographics for the game it sells well from the beginning.

That's the thing, Splatoon's sales are as of the end of Oct and MC is as of the end of Dec after only around 2 weeks of tracking.

One, it's been said that Famitsu's numbers are merely estimates (likely less accurate than their retail numbers), but honestly I'm trying to find the exact source of Chris' claim that Splatoon is at 168k as of the end of Oct.

Famitsu claims Splatoon did a bit over 4.3k in November and in Dec it did 7.5k digitally. Thing is, after calculating all the months from Famitsu, it doesn't pass 120k for Splatoon.

Anyway, say Splatoon is at say... 180k as of Jan 3rd as Minecraft is at 77k at the same point, over the past month, Minecraft would've needed 103k to pass Splatoon by now, and for all we know Minecraft has kept up its pace after doing 77k in only two and a half weeks of tracking, you never know.

Famitsu digital estimates don't include download cards and splatoon sold a hell of a lot of download cards

Eolz

Why bring up western Numbers? The thread is about Japan sales of Minecraft.

The Wii U is not a good performer in terms of digitales sales also, yet it did get a port.

Out of the 3 platforms the one that makes most busyness sense is the New 3DS. The only valid point against a hypothetical 3DS version is how much work it would take to port, something that we can't exactly quantify.

The rest of your reasons are not very solid. That you can justify a Wii U version instead of a 3DS one is strange since it's Nintendo's most active platform. Most people that follow your line of thinking taught that a Wii U port would be a waste of time.

Yet here we are XD

Edit: i would really like to know from a person with some actual knowledge how possible or not is a New 3DS port.

I brought up WW sales because there's absolutely no point for a western publisher to make a port for one market only, even less if it's a port difficult to develop.
Of course it's possible to make it run on n3DS. The question is up to which point are you ready to downgrade it. It'd be a lot, lot worse than the worst version currently out there.

I feel like you've really skipped most of my points. It would be a port hard to make, with no guarantees to sell as well as the other ports, and would get questions about why it's n3DS only. It's really not worth the effort.

Xbro

Chris got the 168K from Nintendo. They gave full sales on that day and it was 168k more than Media Create(They use MC has a source for that info)

I brought up WW sales because there's absolutely no point for a western publisher to make a port for one market only, even less if it's a port difficult to develop.
Of course it's possible to make it run on n3DS. The question is up to which point are you ready to downgrade it. It'd be a lot, lot worse than the worst version currently out there.

I feel like you've really skipped most of my points. It would be a port hard to make, with no guarantees to sell as well as the other ports, and would get questions about why it's n3DS only. It's really not worth the effort.
Don't worry i didn't skip your other points, it's just that they are not convincing enough.

The only reasonable one is in regards to the hardware capability. But of that one i was aware before our interchange. That's why i expressed my desire to learn, from someone with actual technical knowhow, how hard it would be to accomplish.

About the one market only thing. Of course there's a point to make a product with one market in mind if a publisher judges it can achieve good returns. You have a real world example with the hole Vita situation in Japan.

morikaze

Banned
I can't believe Microsoft has the best selling Wii U eShop game in Japan

You know what's scary?

Minecraft on Wii U may quickly become Microsoft's most successful game of all-time in Japan with their name on it. I think Blue Dragon on 360 is otherwise at just over 200k.

This will probably end up being the highest selling game Microsoft has ever published in Japan.

This thread is blowing my mind right now.

How good is the Wii U port compared to other console ports?

Thinking of double dipping on a console version and the kids are using the Wii U the most these days.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Dayum....

Such a missed, wasted opportunity for Nintendo...

And yea Microsoft....they made a good move buying Minecraft. On all competitors platforms (its about time Nintendo!!) and raking in dough.

maxcriden

I hope this convinces Microsoft and Nintendo to build a relationship and get some more Microsoft/Rareware games on Nintendo consoles. If the next XB doesn't bother coming to JP, maybe that will be more of a possibility. And/or perhaps of the NX handheld doesn't require all games to also be playable on a console. Traditional RW games would sell remarkably well on a Nintendo system.

Mory Dunz

but a thread was open about wiiu version selling 80k...

Wait I thought it was > 168k?

Am I reading the OP wrong?

edit:
Or over ~200k according to media create peoples.

Maybe OP needs to be updated with a number cause now I'm confused. Well, thread isn't active anyway.

FyreWulff

I don't know how I expect it to perform. Its a pretty late release

The One and the PS4 only got Minecraft last year and 2 years ago, respectively, and the 360 port isn't that old either

on a fairly small install base

the Wii U and Xbox One have comparable install bases

It's only a matter of time until they put it on disc, right?

Disc release is confirmed, it's been standard to release digital first then disc

Xbro

Wait I thought it was > 168k?

Am I reading the OP wrong?

edit:
Or over ~200k according to media create peoples.

Maybe OP needs to be updated with a number cause now I'm confused. Well, thread isn't active anyway.

Pretty sure there was a thread about when Famitsu said it had 80k. Not sure though, he might be using Famitsu's numbers and referring to this thread.

168K was at the end of October, the ~200K is an educated guess.

Mory Dunz

Pretty sure there was a thread about when Famitsu said it had 80k. Not sure though, he might be using Famitsu's numbers and referring to this thread.

168K was at the end of October, the ~200K is an educated guess.

ohhh he was talking about before.

got it.

Remember when MS bought Majong and everyone posted "They paid how much for Minecraft?? It's not that big."

If you have kids you knew how big this IP is.

Pretty much, it's like the Pokemon of our times. I don't have kids but I frequently see kids with creeper school bags and all that stuff. Minecraft is huge.

Famitsu digital estimates don't include download cards and splatoon sold a hell of a lot of download cards

Ah! Never knew that! :)

Chris got the 168K from Nintendo. They gave full sales on that day and it was 168k more than Media Create(They use MC has a source for that info)

Awesome, that makes sense, thanks! :)

So with that in mind, say it retained a 23% digital ratio and MC has it at 1.215.154 at retail, that should mean if its entire number LTD is 1.578.122 (as the former is 77% of it (77+23=100) and thus digital could even be as high as 362.968 for Splatoon as of last week. o_O

That means Minecraft could actually be nearing 400k in just a month in a half, if that number is correct...

HOLY SHIT!!!

Edit: Okay Chris was WAY off with his percentage.

According to that calculation, Splatoon would've been 167,522, that's fine, but the percentage of 905.000 is actually 18.51%. WAY lower than 23%.

That in mind, it would be 276.015 digitally as of last week.

Fredrik

Excited to see what all the hubbub is about.
It has evolved a lot since the start. To summarize it: Huge randomly created open world, day-night cycle with monsters moving about at the night and in the shadows and friendly animals at day time, survival elements, level up system, craft your gear and equipment and building blocks, extreme sandbox building gameplay, kill monsters and clean out temples etc for loot, mine the underworld for valuable minerals, buy/sell stuff in villages, etc. I fully understand why it's selling, I'm actually more surprised that so many core gamers seem to look down on it. It's awesome! My most played game this generation and I still haven't gone through the nether portal to the other realm.

Luq

Yeah, I knew it will sell like cupcakes but didn't expect it to be doing THIS good. Good for them!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Edit: Okay Chris was WAY off with his percentage.

According to that calculation, Splatoon would've been 167,522, that's fine, but the percentage of 905.000 is actually 18.51%. WAY lower than 23%.

That in mind, it would be 276.015 digitally as of last week.

You aren't good with math, right? Percentage is exactly what it says it is: digital/retail.

Top Bottom