• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Wii U Edition passes Splatoon and becomes #1 LTD on the JP Wii U eShop

The One and the PS4 only got Minecraft last year and 2 years ago, respectively, and the 360 port isn't that old either

the Wii U and Xbox One have comparable install bases

Disc release is confirmed, it's been standard to release digital first then disc

The PS4 and Xbox One versions of Minecraft came out one day apart. The PS3 version did come out 2 years ago though.

Also, EA's estimates put the Xbox One at near 19m sold, while the Wii U was sitting at 10.73 as of Sep. 30th. So unless Nintendo sold 8 million Wii U's this Christmas, the Xbox One and Wii U haven't had comparable install bases for quite a while now.

You aren't good with math, right? Percentage is exactly what it says it is: digital/retail.

Oh, wait a minute. Looking again.

After 22 weeks

total: 905.000
retail: 737.478
digital: ~168.000
digital/retail: ~23%

You're right, I used the wrong number by accident.

You're absolutely right. 167.522 is 22.72% of 737.478. I goofed and used the wrong numbers.

Likely because my mind had it as "percentage of the whole 905.000 total", not in ratio.

So going from that. 737.478 is 81.49% of 905.000.

Right now Splatoon is at 1.215.154. We don't know the LTD total including digital, but if we use that same percentage (81.49% of the unknown total) it might equal 1491169, and the digital ratio (22.72% of 1.215.154) from the former number should be... 276083 as of last week.

Hopefully I got all the calculations correct this time... please?

Madness

I wonder if the Xbone would've had a chance if they made it exclusive lol

Imagine the sheer amounts of salt if Minecraft 2 is only Xbox One and PC.

But it's crazy the longevity the game has had. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end, Microsoft actually got a bargain when they bought Mojang/Microsoft. I remember laughing along with others at the sheer price paid for the IP.

I'm sure Minecraft on New 3DS is both feasible and would make money. But it would be a big pain to do, and the returns probably wouldn't be that big. So no one feels like doing it, and it doesn't happen.

They could probably get it running in general, but seeing the limitations placed on the last gen versions of the game (namely the draw distance and world size) it would be heavily constrained by the hardware. At the very least a poor framerate and even smaller draw distance. Combined with the fact that New 3DS has a relatively small install base (likely smaller than even the Wii U) and that seems all but certain the NX handheld will be replacing it by the end of the year, I don't really see the point in trying.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
The PS4 and Xbox One versions of Minecraft came out one day apart. The PS3 version did come out 2 years ago though.

Also, EA's estimates put the Xbox One at near 19m sold, while the Wii U was sitting at 10.73 as of Sep. 30th. So unless Nintendo sold 8 million Wii U's this Christmas, the Xbox One and Wii U haven't had comparable install bases for quite a while now.

EA estimate 19.1 million XB1. So over 19m, not nearly. Most likely >20 million shipped.

I believe Wii U Will be At 12.73 million shipped by end of 2015.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Right now Splatoon is at 1.215.154. We don't know the LTD total including digital, but if we use that same percentage (81.49% of the unknown total) it might equal 1491169, and the digital ratio (22.72% of 1.215.154) from the former number should be... 276083 as of last week.

Hopefully I got all the calculations correct this time... please?

There is no way ratio remains the same since Splatton was bundled for holidays, meaning retail>>digital and Famitsu digital estimates confirm that.

There is no way ratio remains the same since Splatton was bundled for holidays, meaning retail>>digital and Famitsu digital estimates confirm that.

The splatoon bundle sold out around Xmas though and wasn't there offers where if you bought the Mario maker bundle you could get a splatoon download card cheap?

Peterc

I didn't like minecraft from the start. I understand why people likes it. But when you create games with unity or create music with cubase, you stop enjoying that kind of games.
There was a music creator game for ps1. Cant remember the name, allot of people liked it. When i was talking about reason/cubase. They told me they can do the same on the ps1 game. Thats a shame.

On the other hand, its good for nintendo.

Mithos

Is a good 360 port, with faster loading times than the PS4 version, and basic functions on the gamepad.

Basic use of the gamepad, so inventory on the gamepad with a touch interface or "Minecraft Wii U" uses the sticks and buttons on the gamepad basic?

gamz

I must be the only person left who hasn't bought or played Minecraft.

I've played it but don't love it.

My kids on the other hand play it all the time. They all play together in their own world they create. Some of the stuff they do is crazy cool. MS has to be making a fortune off this and well worth the 2.5B they spent.

I plan on picking it up once the physical version is released and gice it a shot.

I've only played a few minutes of it and it didn't click at the time. Probably because I didn't have enough time with it.

Slayven

Japanese kids love minecraft, so much so the next Super Sentai is inspired by it

CZX4CjEUYAE1HDC.jpg

_Ryo_

For the people who are mocking the people who said it wouldn't sell, I think you've misinterpreted those comments.

At least what I think if you have more than one console, Minecraft Wii U is redundant. But Wii U owners who use it almost exclusively as their console of choice want more games for it when there is so little third party games so of course they will buy Minecraft. Also, its mostly Japan we're talking about currently, who even owns any other console than the Wii U to buy Minecraft on anyway?

Chastten

Banned
I admit, I did not see this coming. Figured it would do somewhat decent numbers since it is still Minecraft and all but the lack of features should have hurt the sales. Apparently it didn't.

Good for the devs though :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
For the people who are mocking the people who said it wouldn't sell, I think you've misinterpreted those comments.

At least what I think if you have more than one console, Minecraft Wii U is redundant. But Wii U owners who use it almost exclusively as their console of choice want more games for it when there is so little third party games so of course they will buy Minecraft. Also, its mostly Japan we're talking about currently, who even owns any other console than the Wii U to buy Minecraft on anyway?

Since Wii U has so little software support every time a new title comes out will sell great then.

_Ryo_

Since Wii U has so little software support every time a new title comes out will sell great then.

No, but if it it's a good proven game and Wii U is their sole console it will most likely sell well. There are conditionals. Anyway, this is just my interpretation so I could be wrong.

No, but if it it's a good proven game and Wii U is their sole console it will most likely sell well. There are conditionals. Anyway, this is just my interpretation so I could be wrong.

You basically just repeated your main point. How many good proven games release on the WiiU to formulqte this point?

So many on GAF said it wouldn't see, it was on too many platforms, the Wii U has a low install base, etc. But if you simply guess that Minecraft will sell well everywhere, you would have been right 100 percent of the time. Yes, even on failed systems like WIi U and Vita. And it will sell even more whenever it arrives at retail.

Might as well bump this as we now have numbers from January.

December:

13. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition – 77,233 (N/A physical, 77,233 digital)

January:

09. [WIU] Minecraft: Wii U Edition – 71,722 (N/A physical, 71,722 digital)

Total = 148,955.

The Wii U version actually outdid the PS4 and Vita versions retail and digital each in January. Wow.

Reminder that Famitsu's numbers are estimates, but that's the best we got.

Top Bottom