• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PC/Steam) |OT|

I played this with a KB (no mouse), and it was ok. Movement wasn't really the problem. It was more of the mapping of the action keys (which you can change.)

I prefered playing with a controller or arcade stick, thoguh.

Okay, it really seems like I have to find a controller rig. Too many confirming this.

I've played M/KB until now, and my only problem is the oversensitive mouse.
Movement feels slurred

Arksy

How does this game compare to Ys Origin in broad strokes? I really really enjoyed Ys Origin but this seems like a completely different game and I'm not quite sure I'm feeling it. For reference I've just beaten the first boss that throws the giant circular saw blades. Does it get much better?

How does this game compare to Ys Origin in broad strokes? I really really enjoyed Ys Origin but this seems like a completely different game and I'm not quite sure I'm feeling it. For reference I've just beaten the first boss that throws the giant circular saw blades. Does it get much better?
The gameplay is pretty much the same as Origin, you just travel to several different locations rather than stay in one dungeon. I played Oath first, but I don't really see how they are dramatically different unless you are talking about the story.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
12-hours in the game now. Just hit the first save point in
Valestein Castle
which is a fucking awesome dungeon so far - lots of platforming, traps, great enemy design etc. Just really good stuff.

First boss in the dungeon is a bit of a bitch so far; hopefully he isn't to frustrating when I put some real effort into him!

Also is it weird that I'm using the analog while playing this with the PS3 controller?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
12-hours in the game now. Just hit the first save point in
Valestein Castle
which is a fucking awesome dungeon so far - lots of platforming, traps, great enemy design etc. Just really good stuff.

First boss in the dungeon is a bit of a bitch so far; hopefully he isn't to frustrating when I put some real effort into him!

Also is it weird that I'm using the analog while playing this with the PS3 controller?

I'm in the same area you are and I agree that dungeon is great.

There is a hidden weapon, shield, and armor in that castle I won't specify where but get those and maybe get an extra level and that boss is a complete joke.

Ended up using the revive pendant on the
chester boss fight at the end of the caste
hopefully I didn't screw myself over.

I started playing this game and I'm really not feeling it. Does the combat ever become more involved then just rapidly hitting the attack button? Can I block at some point or dodge?

I just beat the third boss
Chester

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I started playing this game and I'm really not feeling it. Does the combat ever become more involved then just rapidly hitting the attack button? Can I block at some point or dodge?

Chester

Well it doesn't exactly count but you get a braclet that lets you
charge into enemies and for about 1 second you're immune to all damage while charging

flowsnake

Chester

You dodge by jumping and running. You've beaten several bosses, so I'm confused how you think you aren't dodging their attacks. Admittedly the combat is simple, though.

Ys Seven has more literal dodging and blocking moves but they don't really add depth to me.

You dodge by jumping and running. You've beaten several bosses, so I'm confused how you think you aren't dodging their attacks. Admittedly the combat is simple, though.

Ys Seven has more literal dodging and blocking moves but they don't really add depth to me.

I don't know dodge buttons tend to be bit quicker and effective in most games then jumping and well timed blocks tend to have some sort of counter mechanic built into them. I was kind of hoping the game eventually got something like that. I think it might just not be for me.

Wonko_C

I don't know dodge buttons tend to be bit quicker and effective in most games then jumping and well timed blocks tend to have some sort of counter mechanic built into them. I was kind of hoping the game eventually got something like that. I think it might just not be for me.

Them Ys Seven on PSP is the game you're looking for, as it features both dodging and Flash Guard, which you have to time correctly.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just beat the boss in the Clocktower.

It was a pretty awesome fight.
although it's funny how it's somewhat easier than the first fight against him, since you have double-jump this time around, which makes it easier to dodge some of his attacks

For some reason I can't get the config to use the X360 pad's triggers. It would make using magic so much comfortable to me.

The standard config is really bad. Click right stick for menu? Come on now.

Otherwise, really enjoying this. I got my ass beaten by the second boss, which was surprising, and hilarious. AMAZING music so far.

I got to the second dungeon, I'm really impressed by the game so far.

I hope we get Ys 1&2 on Steam because I heard I should play those before Origin, which I also bought.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hope we get Ys 1&2 on Steam because I heard I should play those before Origin, which I also bought.

It doesn't really matter. Ys I & II obviously came first, and there are a lot of references to those games in Ys Origin. But if you play Origin first it's kind of the same thing, just the other way around - you'll see all those references and think "oh, I remember something about this from Origin!"

The only problem with I & II going to Steam is that the "best" version of those games on the PC is over a decade old and I'm not sure it runs well on current versions of Windows. But I think they'll get it worked out eventually, but probably not soon.

Edit: Though if you have the option, playing I & II first would probably be the more interesting way to tackle them. So I agree with that. But I don't think it's worth waiting who-know-how-long when you already have Origin and it's a fantastic game in it's own right.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I feel like picking Hard for my first playthrough was a mistake @_@

First boss you run into in the supply room took me about 30 tries. Fighting the second boss in the area and I get the pattern, but I keep getting hit by the purple discs when I jump too soon and the follow me up. Best I've been able to do so far is halfway through the fight.

First boss you run into in the supply room took me about 30 tries. Fighting the second boss in the area and I get the pattern, but I keep getting hit by the purple discs when I jump too soon and the follow me up. Best I've been able to do so far is halfway through the fight.
:) it's really difficult, yeah. You really have to get the patterns down while moving in a pretty fast pace.
This is one of the first times I've really chllenged myself in games - I'm chugging through nightmare, but I'm only on like boss 5 or 6 after some 19 hours.

Nosgoroth

A question. I'm at the Elderm Mountains, and it seems I've hit a dead end. After a lot of wandering around I checked a FAQ, and halfway across the mountains I was supposed to fight a boss
(three harpies)
that just doesn't show up. Am I missing something?

A question. I'm at the Elderm Mountains, and it seems I've hit a dead end. After a lot of wandering around I checked a FAQ, and halfway across the mountains I was supposed to fight a boss
(three harpies)
that just doesn't show up. Am I missing something?
You probably didn't talk to the mayor to actually trigger the quest.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
...Oh. Yes, that's probably it, thanks. I just went to the mountais right after obtaining the doubje jump.

By this point I'm overleveled and overequipped, let's destroy that boss.

I think you're supposed to finish going through the mines first, either way works I guess. Mines will be pretty easy if you do the mountains first though.

Assuming you can even get the "quest" for the mountains to activate before getting the statue in the mines.

Nosgoroth

I think you're supposed to finish going through the mines first, either way works I guess. Mines will be pretty easy if you do the mountains first though.

Assuming you can even get the "quest" for the mountains to activate before getting the statue in the mines.

I did finish the mines, I just didn't think to go to the town, and insted went straight to the mountains.

The boss was a joke, by the way. They did 2-3 damage and I did 100~300 per hit.

I finished my normal playthrough and am suffering the same thing now =(

Also 5 of those discs kill me, so I dunno. Not much room for mistake it seems.

HoosTrax

Just got started with the game and I've got a question regarding the Quarry -- is this game like Metroidvania, where if you see something that's seemingly out of reach, you shouldn't worry about it for now because you'll gain the ability to reach it later? Or should I be looking for secret switches etc.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just got started with the game and I've got a question regarding the Quarry -- is this game like Metroidvania, where if you see something that's seemingly out of reach, you shouldn't worry about it for now because you'll gain the ability to reach it later? Or should I be looking for secret switches etc.

For the most part, there are a couple abilities you'll get later that will let you reach areas you previously couldn't.

There are some instances of "switches" or less obvious routes to get to places though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just finished the game. (normal). In-game time says 7 hours and 31 minutes, but my steam game time says 20 hours (lol)

Final boss was pretty fun but surprisingly not that tough at level 51. Only took me like 5-6 attempts max, before I downed that sucker.

Overall - It was a really awesome game, I can't really point a finger at anything I disliked about it, the bosses were great, the combat was fun as hell, and it was just the right length with excellent pacing. Definitely one of the best action rpgs I've ever played.

Really excited about playing more games in the series - I have Ys Origins on steam and have a copy of Ys: The Ark of Napishtim on PS2 somewhere around in this house (that I bought years ago but never played). So I'll probably move on to those first sometime in the future, and pick up ys 7 and ys chronicles for the PSP down the line.

Pancakes

Just finished the game. (normal). In-game time says 7 hours and 31 minutes, but my steam game time says 20 hours (lol)

Final boss was pretty fun but surprisingly not that tough at level 51. Only took me like 5-6 attempts max, before I downed that sucker.

Overall - It was a really awesome game, I can't really point a finger at anything I disliked about it, the bosses were great, the combat was fun as hell, and it was just the right length with excellent pacing. Definitely one of the best action rpgs I've ever played.

Really excited about playing more games in the series - I have Ys Origins on steam and have a copy of Ys: The Ark of Napishtim on PS2 somewhere around in this house (that I bought years ago but never played). So I'll probably move on to those first sometime in the future, and pick up ys 7 and ys chronicles for the PSP down the line.

I'm actually finishing my backlog! :D

Just beat the game myself at around 15 hours, I would agree with basically everything you said. The game was just the right length and didn't wear out its welcome. The soundtrack was fantastic. I hear the PSP version had voice acting but I can understand that VO licensing and junk probably interfered with that coming to the PC so it's okay. The combat was enjoyable and the bosses challenging yet manageable once you figure out their patterns.

Now to move on to Ys Origin...tomorrow!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Finally beat the first big boss (the one right after you mee the mayor in the quarry) after a boatload of tries. Ended up grinding to level ten for it just so I could take a few more hits. This game is no joke on the hard difficulty. I went over to the ruins afterward and now I'm getting completely bodied there too. Considering going back to town to grab the long sword, I think the extra damage might help me out.

Not completely sure how I feel about this game just yet.

HoosTrax

Going to nitpick here, but I think your facts might be off a touch.

Ys I Eternal did come out in the 90s and did run in 256 colors, but Ys II Eternal came out in 2000 with much improved graphics running in full color.

Ys I & II Complete then takes this a step further, putting Ys I Eternal into the Ys II Eternal engine, with the new sprites and better color of the latter, plus a new OST that I adore (FM synth forever)

Yes, they run in VGA, but saying that is suboptimal to the PSP version is not quite right, because the PSP version runs in an even smaller resolution than 640 x 480, and it runs at 30 FPS instead of 60, making it visually inferior.

Ys I & II Complete for PC is still a fantastic looking game and I would pay moneyz for it to be on Steam.

PC:
ys2eternal.jpg

PSP:
ys2-psp.png

/nitpick
Wow I just came across these.

There is something timeless about pixel art graphics that 3D graphics can't quite capture (unless we're talking cartoon graphics like TF2 or Minecraft blocks). 3D stuff just doesn't seem to age as well. I feel kind of bad about finding the graphics in these images more...charming?...more appealing somehow than the 3D stuff in Ys Origins.

Pancakes

jbwFzRPJQ6UEfL.jpg

Fuuuu...I suppose starting on Nightmare wasn't the greatest idea, but whatever.

I know that feel.
One of the bosses has a self destruct when you finally kill him, fucker got me :(.

HoosTrax

The level designer who put that ice bridge on the side scrolling section up in Elderm can go diaf -- I've fallen off of it a few dozen times now... most of the time my double jump doesn't even register for some reason.

The level designer who put that ice bridge on the side scrolling section up in Elderm can go diaf -- I've fallen off of it a few dozen times now... most of the time my double jump doesn't even register for some reason.

The absence of shitty platforming is probably the one thing I prefer about Origin over Oath. It's a relief not to have to deal with that.

HoosTrax

The absence of shitty platforming is probably the one thing I prefer about Origin over Oath. It's a relief not to have to deal with that.
That's good to hear since I'll be working on Origins next. Anyways, I finally managed to get across the ice bridge section -- had to switch to my keyboard to do it, to avoid moving in a non-straight line up the icy inclines, plus a lot of verrry slow tip-toeing around, and panicked moments where I almost got knocked off by bees and golems.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I may be in the minority. But I actually really like the platforming-heavy sections in Oath. And I've never had a issue with the controls being unresponsive.

HoosTrax

I may be in the minority. But I actually really like the platforming-heavy sections in Oath. And I've never had a issue with the controls being unresponsive.
The problem is not the platforming (I love the 2D Castlevania games and VVVVVV), the problem is the amount of backtracking you have to do when you fail a platform section. That kind of thing is a non-issue in VVVVVV. In this game, it feels like the designers went out of their way to troll the player by sending them all the way down to the bottom of a mountain or tower.

Anyways, I hit the F12 button to take a screenshot, which apparently is also bound to quicksave in this game. That's not a cheat is it? Did I just make myself ineligible to get any more achievements?

The problem is not the platforming (I love the 2D Castlevania games and VVVVVV), the problem is the amount of backtracking you have to do when you fail a platform section. That kind of thing is a non-issue in VVVVVV. In this game, it feels like the designers went out of their way to troll the player by sending them all the way down to the bottom of a mountain or tower.

Anyways, I hit the F12 button to take a screenshot, which apparently is also bound to quicksave in this game. That's not a cheat is it? Did I just make myself ineligible to get any more achievements?
Cheating only takes you off the leaderboard, it doesn't affect achievements. But I'm not sure if binding that key would matter.

Wonko_C

Use F1 to toggle No-Fall on, so that way if you fall down you just start at the beginning of that section instead of ending up in another area.

Instro

Made to the boss of the lava area tonight, seems tough. I need to figure out how to dodge that lava that chases you prior to the fight.

Top Bottom