• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Back when JP came out, the theater that we went to in Chicago had this collector Jurassic Park popcorn tub. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen a theater have.

Anyways, back when Jurassic World came out, I thought about it and wished I still had it. I looked up it up on ebay and the rare instance it would pop up, it would go for $20.
So late last year, my Dad sends me a picture of it and asked if he should bring it down for me. I was so ecstatic, over a popcorn tub lol. It really is cool though. Anyone by chance remember these and possible what chain of theaters they came from?

For reference: It's 10 inches high and 6 inches in width.

AhhMtdQ.jpg

I took pictures of all the sides here. DIdn't want to clog up the thread with pictures of a popcorn tub lol.

went ahead and fixed that for you..

I mean, I get it. TLW better represents dinosaurs for you and there's nothing in JP3 as good as the trailer sequence.

Checks out. Just for me, well, I've outlined my opinion on that time and time again :p

But at least we're at an understanding. Well, I am. Just as long as you didn't "fix" it by putting Jurassic World in there, I don't care. I like JP3 more than TLW, but I certainly don't love it or even like it enough to defend it all too much.

Just got done watching TLW again and I even got my wife complaining about the dumb shit lol.

Still like it, though...

But it is DUMB!

"If we even so much as bend a blade of grass..."

*said after molesting a baby stego*

He had a T-Rex talking to a Velociraptor. Thats enough.

I saw a brief communication/understanding of the two and they were both wore the fuck out. I think the point was that if they hadn't just expended their energy on destroying the Indominus that shit would have went down but they're like nah fuck this see ya

That's not something remotely bad to me. They didn't talk to each other.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I saw a brief communication/understanding of the two and they were both wore the fuck out. I think the point was that if they hadn't just expended their energy on destroying the Indominus that shit would have went down but they're like nah fuck this see ya

That's not something remotely bad to me. They didn't talk to each other.

But thats not how animals act. If the T-Rex would have screamed and then tried to eat the Raptor, that would be fine, but not that way.
And I am completly aware that I am super nitpicking and going against my loved "Its just a movie" argument when I am annoyed by people who are nitpicking, but nah. I cant get over that scene.

But thats not how animals act. If the T-Rex would have screamed and then tried to eat the Raptor, that would be fine, but not that way.
And I am completly aware that I am super nitpicking and going against my loved "Its just a movie" argument when I am annoyed by people who are nitpicking, but nah. I cant get over that scene.

A lot of disagreements like this are over things that have different meanings and reactions to different people. I totally got what was going on between the Rex and Raptor, and they're not "normal" animals to begin with. So I don't know how they would act as they're sci-fi creations.

Whereas every problem I have with TLW, I can't defend or work out, not even with that film's internal logic. The things people complain about in JW largely worked IMO because it worked within its own logic.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A lot of disagreements like this are over things that have different meanings and reactions to different people. I totally got what was going on between the Rex and Raptor, and they're not "normal" animals to begin with. So I don't know how they would act as they're sci-fi creations.
Its the frog genes. They are communicating over the frog genes :D

Whereas every problem I have with TLW, I can't defend or work out, not even with that film's internal logic. The things people complain about in JW largely worked IMO because it worked within its own logic.
Tell me your problems, most the time the movie is brought up its just "omg, its so bad", so I am interested to hear some well developed thoughts about it

Tell me your problems, most the time the movie is brought up its just "omg, its so bad", so I interested to hear some well developed thoughts about it

Ugh. Alright, fine, since you asked. :p I'll try to keep it as concise as possible, and I've been over this before in other threads so some of you will already know what to expect, but I get that not everyone has seen my personal issues with the movie.

On a story level-- they brought back Malcolm just because he was popular from the first one, but changed pretty much everything about him that made that character popular to begin with. The whole "I got your girlfiend to go to the island so go get her" felt too manufactured as an obvious sequel route where the storytellers didn't really have a truly great reason, it was just a quick way to do another one. Spielberg didn't even want to do it but was pressured after the success of the first. The cinematography, while technically pretty good, was too dark and void of color for my tastes. I'm fine with these movies being dark, but TLW just felt incredibly drab to me. Jurassic World doesn't have the best cinematography, but it was competent and at least had some color to it-- and when it came time for that to have nighttime scenes, they were shot and lit very very well.

I thought every character except Malcolm, Roland, and Eddie were fucking idiots. Sarah works with animals but does some of the dumbest shit imaginable-- bringing the infant Rex to the trailer which is their safe haven and parked near the edge of a cliff knowing the adults are probably looking for it, and with their daughter there, hanging the bloody pack above them over their tent, again with their daughter in it, knowing full well the adults are on their trail. Stark goes to pee and ends up like five miles away because his buddy was listening to Mexican music, because a grown ass adult apparently can't go piss behind a tree and find his way back to the group. Ludlow speaks for himself, his entire plan was dumb and ends up bringing two Tyrannosaurs back to San Diego on a boat.

But, characters are dumb in a lot of movies. It's just that here, most of them are professionals, supposedly. It's why it's hard for people to buy into the actions of the scientists in Prometheus. Characters do dumb things in Jurassic World, but for the most part, I was able to buy into a lot of their actions based on who they are, their age, experience, etc. You could argue that Zach was dumb for taking the gyrosphere off-course, but they're kids and they'd just had some development where Gray was upset over the divorce and Zach was just now learning about it, which turns Zach around on being an asshole to his brother-- so he tries to cheer him up after they try and cancel the ride by doing some fun brotherly boy things. It wasn't a smart decision, but I didn't think it was unrealistic and was mostly emotionally driven.

Back to the story, it does nothing for the rest of the series. The first film introduced the raptor intelligence subplot; it was a pretty big deal and got plenty of focus. The third film, while by no means some story rich thing, did indeed expand on this and put the raptors and how smart they are at the forefront of the story, even beyond them saving Eric. Jurassic World takes this even further and while some think the "raptor posse" is stupid, I thought-- again going with the internal logic of the story-- that it worked, and it felt right to me that they keep evolving (har-har) the raptor intelligence subplot. The Lost World? The raptors are nothing but an action setpiece, and said setpiece has the worst moment out of all four movies.

And let's say for a moment that I don't actually care about any of that. I just want to watch a fun adventure movie. Okay, cool. But even if I tried to accept it as that, I still can't. I hate the opening with rich British people and the loony wife screaming transitioning into Malcolm yawning. It's kind of hilarious, but I'm already completely unable to take it seriously. Malcolm's back but he's... not really anything like he was in the first and has a... black daughter because he's a whore. Okay. The story setup then happens and just feels incredibly cheap and dirty, just, again here's a quick way to get back into the action. Fine, whatever, not a huge deal but just felt too on the nose. Already I'm just thrown off and it feels weird, certain things aren't right, so I'm struggling.

But then, let's say, whatever, it's a sequel, not everything is on point, surely I can just enjoy these great scenes on their own and call it day! The stampede scene is cool, right? Actually, sure! It's easily the best part of the movie. Nothing stupid happens. People are being dicks to animals and our main characters don't dig it. The dinosaurs look great, it's well shot and staged, etc. Roland's monologue is wonderful. And you have that great trailer sequence! Except, what led to it was dumb as hell, the characters joking about lunch menu items, etc. In general it's a great sequence, but I could've been more into it if I cared about anyone except Malcolm, and even that's fleeting as he's not really like he was in the first movie.

Then you have, again, them being tracked by the Rexes, doing stupid shit like hanging the bloody bag and being completely uninterested in shredding as much tracking evidence as possible, Stark somehow getting comedically lost just to have a pointless and pointlessly dragged out death scene, the comedic death with the dude in the waterfall who runs out because a snake gets on him and the Rex licking Julianne Moore's tits (actually I take it back THAT'S the best scene in the movie), the high grass scene which was, like a lot of other scenes, great in concept but ruined by dumb comedic shit like the black guy screaming at the camera as the raptor pounces him, the central raptor encounter which was completely ruined by the Kelly shenanigans and the raptors playing no key role in the film other than "they were scary in the first remember?"

All of this leads to, then, the entire climax in San Diego which I hate every single second of. The Rex in the neighborhood, them driving a cadillac around with the baby in it as we get some American iconography like the rolling gas station 76 ball, Chevron station, a lame Godzilla joke, David Koepp in Blockbuster with comedic death #76 in the film, Peter Ludlow for some reason thinking he should go try and somehow do... something?... with the baby Rex... I'm done.

Kill

it

with

fucking

fire

soundtrack was good

Don't be scared about liking a movie.

Also this. And I'm sure the Jurassic World haters can do for themselves what I just did there for The Lost World, but for me personally most of the complaints I've seen just didn't add up as either a big deal or something I can't work out.

I'll try to keep it as concise as possible

giphy.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But the movie added a major plotline to the series, one of the most important: It made the public aware of the fact that there is a island with dinosaurs on it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You have by the way a lot of good points. To some of them I kinda agree when thinking about it (The they are professionals argument, why the hell would they take the Rex with them) but thats points I am willing to ignore for plotconvenions.

Maybe its because I am a sucker for the setting. I love adventure islands with dinosaurs and no infrastructure. And TLW has a big nostalgiabonus for me, an even bigger as I have for the original movie.

You have by the way a lot of good points. To some of them I kinda agree when thinking about it (The they are professionals argument, why the hell would they take the Rex with them) but thats points I am willing to ignore for plotconvenions.

Maybe its because I am a sucker for the setting. I love adventure islands with dinosaurs and no infrastructure. And TLW has a big nostalgiabonus for me, an even bigger as I have for the original movie.

Hey I totally get you. This happened with me and Prometheus, which I also referenced above. I love the idea of The Lost World, the idea of a darker movie with more violence and some of its ideas. The action is good despite issues I had that made them lesser or have lesser impact, or just weren't able to take seriously, the dinosaurs look great, there are a few good characters, even Malcolm despite being different was okay. And great music as usual.

I hate "no you're wrong and stupid and love everything" posts, which I sometimes get. I obviously don't love everything but a lot of people can just look at my tag and make deductions :p I mostly post about things I do like, which I guess gives that impression as I don't really love talking about things I dislike. It's just not that fun to me, but you politely asked and that's a step up from what I usually get around here.

Damn. Would have exchanged San Diego for this
I wonder if the idea was dropped for technical issues. In 1997 that probably still would have been pushing it.

I'm still mad at Jurassic World for making the raptors "good" during that sequence. We'll probably never get the proper version of it.

Then again, this franchise LOVES rehashing sequences. Jurassic Park III is like 80% montage of JP and TLW sequences (from the films AND novels).

I'm all in for remakes btw.

I'm not in the "ruining my childhood" camp. I'll still have them but I'd love if they made more faithful adaptions of the books.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Jurassic_Park_concept_art_by_Craig_Mullins_03.jpg

660d7398fef70fff1c1244380cca19c4.jpg

Concept art for JP makes me weep more.

The trading cards from the old Kenner toys had so many idea of a "what if the crew was stuck on Isla Nubla for a while?" Had a real Cadillacs and Dinosaurs feel to it. Maybe some of the ideas were going to go towards the cancelled cartoon? (They should really try and make it again... stick it on Netflix).

Well, the movie is just about a year out now, so I do think it's very possible we'll get a teaser soon with the finalized title reveal.

While I think that temp logo looks cool, I hope it's not just called Jurassic World II lol.

Well, the movie is just about a year out now, so I do think it's very possible we'll get a teaser soon with the finalized title reveal.

While I think that temp logo looks cool, I hope it's not just called Jurassic World II lol.

I'm still in the Jurassic ___ camp, rather than Jurassic World ___.

Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the same (kinda dumb) naming convention as The Lost World, lol. "_____: Jurassic World". Give it a unique name, but slap the Jurassic World name onto the end for marketing purposes.

Nev

Banned
The Lost World is hated now? I think it's the best out of the three (I'm not counting JW as part of the franchise).

Sure it doesn't have the charm or the impact of the first one at all but it's full of awesome scenes and it's the one with less obvious script/edit mistakes or just nonsense (barring the infamous scene of the girl kicking a raptor).

Obviously it's never going to beat JP in terms of nostalgia and what the movie was back then but it's the best sequel for sure. Not that 3 was a very good contender but still.

Despite almost losing me with the immense pile of shit that was JW, I'm absolutely going to give JW2 a chance. I'm confident Bayona can do a good job even if he has to deal with an insufferable cast of SyFy non-characters lead by unfunny Mary Sue Pratt.

I just hope the whole tamed raptors garbage is dropped for good and never mentioned again unless we're seeing them turn against their stupid smug alpha machoman and devour him to reveal Goldblum as the true main character of the movie.

The Lost World is hated now? I think it's the best out of the three (I'm not counting JW as part of the franchise).

Sure it doesn't have the charm or the impact of the first one at all but it's full of awesome scenes and it's the one with less obvious script/edit mistakes or just nonsense (barring the infamous scene of the girl kicking a raptor).

Obviously it's never going to beat JP in terms of nostalgia and what the movie was back then but it's the best sequel for sure. Not that 3 was a very good contender but still.

Despite almost losing me with the immense pile of shit that was JW, I'm absolutely going to give JW2 a chance. I'm confident Bayona can do a good job even if he has to deal with an insufferable cast of SyFy non-characters lead by unfunny Mary Sue Pratt.

I just hope the whole tamed raptors garbage is dropped for good and never mentioned again unless we're seeing them turn against their stupid smug alpha machoman and devour him to reveal Goldblum as the true main character of the movie.

i have never liked a gaf post more

edit: wait wait wait, I reread the first line. You liked it more than JP? friendship ended with post

I wonder if they'll call it Jurassic City

I genuinely want "Jurassic 5".

i have never liked a gaf post more

I have never disliked one more.

giphy.gif

The real question is, will there ever be a truly beloved Jurassic sequel? Jurassic World is closest, and even then a large portion of the positive reactions towards the movie was along the lines of "yeah, it was really dumb, but it was fun and THAT FIGHT SCENE OMG"

I'll just say I'm okay with not agreeing with a post saying TLW is the best and legitimately using the phrase Mary Sue.

I took at as being ironic since it applied to a male character, but maybe I'm giving too much credit. I do agree with you if the usage was serious (especially since post-TFA I can't stand the term).

Last I talked to Universal in April, they liked the idea of Comic Con but it sounded like they wouldn't be there with a Jurassic, really.

If I had to guess, it may be a web release for 'Jurassic June' and perhaps hit on the "1 year til release" mark?

And to clarify - though some who attended the party called it a trailer - it was apparently more of a sizzle reel, and the teaser that is coming soon is separate.

Top Bottom