• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something has survived... Happy 20th birthday, The Lost World: Jurassic Park!

ZKcUg8S.jpg

20 years ago today, the first
best
Jurassic Park sequel released in theaters.

This is the only Jurassic film with set pieces on par with the original - from the trailer attack, to the long grass. Plus, it gave us the best ending in the franchise:

DAjAdPxW0AEcXR8.jpg:orig

So let's talk TLW, and not forget how great Pete Postlewaite was in the film.

Daingurse

I rewatched this on Blu-Ray a few weeks ago. I find the movie to still be pretty enjoyable overall. And as stupid as the T-Rex rampage is, I still really dig the sequence lol.

Movie ain't on the same level as the original (my favorite movie of all time), but I still have a lot of fun with it.

Morts

I really like this movie. Not the masterpiece the original is, but pretty damn fun and nothing like the dumpster fire that iis JP3.

The gymnastics scene is like 30 seconds long and hardly ruins the movie.
Get over it.

Tagyhag

I really like this movie. Not the masterpiece the original is, but pretty damn fun and nothing like the dumpster fire that iis JP3.

The gymnastics scene is like 30 seconds long and hardly ruins the movie.
Get over it.

Yep, I'm the same.

I really enjoyed the movie (First half more than the second) it's just fun.

Has nothing on the original, but it's still the best out of the 3 sequels.

Bernbaum

So let's talk TLW, and not forget how great Pete Postlewaite was in the film.

They should have kept some of his deleted scenes in. There was some good characterisation there that would have been better if it were included. He was a very grey character with his own set of rules but comes across unnecessarily as a villain up until his final scene.

When I saw this come out in cinemas, I loved it right up until San Diego.

It's got some great scenes, but I'm hot/cold with TLW every time I watch it. The trailer attack is unreal but the rest of the film is just unnecessarily dark, both tonally and visually.

As a HUGE JP and dinosaur fan in general, I've watched this movie over the years multiple times, hoping I would find something about it that makes me love it. Still isn't the sequel I wish it was.

It does have some pretty cool shots and sequences though. At least it wasn't trash like JP3 was though.

This film had actual badass raptors

YAzFQvH.gif

They should have kept some of his deleted scenes in. There was some good characterisation there that would have been better if it were included. He was a very grey character with his own set of rules but comes across unnecessarily as a villain up until his final scene.

When I saw this come out in cinemas, I loved it right up until San Diego.

It's got some great scenes, but I'm hot/cold with TLW every time I watch it. The trailer attack is unreal but the rest of the film is just unnecessarily dark, both tonally and visually.

Agreed, those scenes added a lot just by doing a little more. Just cut Kelly's gymnastic scene, and the run time can be preserved.

I know people shit on this film, but there's a lot I like about it. Visually it improves upon the original, there are some amazing setpieces, Williams score is superb as always and it takes a different approach from the first, going for more of a jungle King Kong / Hatari flavored inspired darker jungle main theme instead, and there are some funny lines (first there's running then the screaming etc..)

I agree that a lot of the characters are assholes, but I actually like the darker tone. It's sorta fun to watch in an odd way. It's definitely a mixed-bag in many ways, and the last act in San Diego is ridiculous, but I never get bored of watching it honestly. I was disappointed it wasn't as faithful to Crichton's book, but I still like the different direction it took.

Damn I'm feeling old. Saw this on opening day morning after being up all night at Grad Night at Disneyland. As a San Diego native I was thrilled at the ending.

I'm honestly trying to think of a set piece in JP3 or JW that is executed as well as TLW or JP, and can't think of one that comes close.

JW's last sequence (the rex fight), is fairly good. As for JP3, the pterodactyl attack is pretty good, and it was clearly inspired by the original planned ending for TLW. Other then that, not much.

Toa TAK

Banned
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Still have a good time with it whenever I watch it.

Williams score still rocks it, too.

Daingurse

TLW really does have a number of great set-pieces. The RV and the InGen dino round-up sequences in-particular are fantastic.

Dead

well not really...yet
Still the second best Jurassic movie ;p

Also one of the most underrated John Williams scores ever. The Lost World theme is phenomenal.

I remember sitting alone in my nearly empty first period study class in HS and getting giddy inside every time the TLW ad came on (which was often on that made for school network). Just seeing that raptor leaping up to flashlight guy... *drool*

I've grown to dislike the characters, but I still have a soft spot for the overall film.

Ha, and rushing to the store on release day to pick up the VHS with that lenticular card in the cover packaging.

Strafer, we need raptor leap and flashlight guy, please?!

Timu

It's...ok, I don't hate it as much as a lot of people, but there are serious issues with it that prevent it from being great.

Still better than JP3 though, that one kinda sucked!

Best JP sequel I don't give a damn.

Visuals/score where insane. Also had the best raptor sequence outside of the kitchen scene in the series.

The marketing was amazing too, tell me this trailer doesn't give you goosebumps,

https://youtu.be/RxrvaneULkE

I remember watching that and my mind exploding thinking of what new dinos could be making the screams at the end.

Something

Had

SURVIVED

Only thing that I can understand with the haters is that everyone does seem a little mean, Ian is nearly a different character but I chalk that up to being in another situation similar to one that no doubt was traumatizing. Movie also pretty ridiculous and doesn't make much sense.

The toys where rad too.

Still better than that garbage JP3!

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm honestly trying to think of a set piece in JP3 or JW that is executed as well as TLW or JP, and can't think of one that comes close.

The entire final set piece in JW was fantastic. One of the biggest crowd pleasing moments I've seen in a theater in a long time.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I really liked it. I was disappointed that it wasn't like the book, which I loved, but it was a fun monster movie, and Goldblum was awesome in it as expected.

It didn't hold a candle to Jurassic Park, but I can appreciate Spielberg not trying to recapture the feel and tone of the original, because how can you? I also thought Jurassic World was a lot of fun too.

The only legitimately bad Jurassic Park film is Jurassic Park 3. That's just a bad movie with no redeeming qualities. Not even William H. Macy could save it.

Also, The Lost World has Pete Postlethwaite playing the most badass character in the entire series. I think TLW is under appreciated, despite having some cringey shit in it (everything with Malcolm's daughter, despite me loving the idea that his daughter is a little black girl, the setups and payoff for her character is so, so Spielberg). The ending sequence in San Diego were hilariously fun too. Julianne Moore and Goldblum sold that shit and we're having a good time.

This thread reminds me that JW2 should bring back Julianne Moore also. She was a fun character and I think it would be neat if they brought her a little closer to her book character.

Shaanyboi

Banned
People are typically way too harsh on this movie. It has some obviously terrible shit in it, but it also has some fantastic set-pieces.

lw-17.gif

Still the worst scene in the history of cinema.
I've explained this in the JP series appreciation thread:

I'm not really sure what you guys hate about the gymnastics scene.

Is it the idea of it? Why? It makes sense to me. Whether someone knew gymnastics or not, swinging down to take out an attacking animal (or even person) is pretty darn intuitive and her having that particular skillset and instinctively thinking of and using it makes for a solid scene and character moment. *shrug*

Or is it just the convenient bar placement? Not a big deal.

This thread reminds me that JW2 should bring back Julianne Moore also. She was a fun character and I think it would be neat if they brought her a little closer to her book character.

You want her to where blood drenched clothing and get them in trouble all the time?

Also, I don't recall her being in the book...

Daingurse

The toys where rad too.

The toys were awesome! I wish I still had mine. I had that big bull T-Rex, a bunch of vehicles and characters, tons of dinos, and the High Hide! I used to play with the toys while watching the movie on VHS, and I would essentially act out the movie lol.

I wanted the RV play-set sooooo bad too. Never got it :(

The entire final set piece in JW was fantastic. One of the biggest crowd pleasing moments I've seen in a theater in a long time.
Ugh! The entire final set piece in JW was the worst part of that ridiculous movie. It felt like a parody of WWF but with dinosaurs! So stupid.

Using perfectly placed uneven bars to kick a fucking dinosaur in the face with gymnastics makes sense to you?

Then The Lost World is the perfect movie for you.
I call out the convenience of the bars as simply not being a big deal. I've seen bars/pipes in scaffolding and industrial structures in my former line of work.

But the idea of someone swinging and kicking an attacker is odd to you?

Being directed by Spielberg will do that.

I get the issues people have with the movie (outside of the obsession over that gymnastics scene) but the direction alone puts it on a whole other level than the following two sequels. Spielberg's eye for shots and ability to setup a scene, especially when it comes to major set pieces, is unmatched. Like, the crane shot of the raptors moving through the long grass is more interesting than any shot in the entirety of JP3 or JW. And the first T-Rex encounter is excellent.

Camwi

I call out the convenience of the bars as simply not being a big deal. I've seen bars/pipes in scaffolding and industrial structures in my former line of work.

But the idea of someone swinging and kicking an attacker is odd to you?

Outside of a superhero movie, yes. The idea that a child is the one pulling it off just makes it even more stupid.

I love that Jeff Goldblum has a black daughter and the movie doesn't try at all to explain why. I just love it. In any other hollywood movie or tv show, there would have been some racial element to it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
FAR more brutal death than that one lady in JW.

The animatronics look soooooo much worse than the CGI there. The transition is really jarring.

I've explained this in the JP series appreciation thread:

You want her to where blood drenched clothing and get them in trouble all the time?

Also, I don't recall her being in the book...
Sarah Harding? She's in the book, she's way less goofy and more capable too. IIRC after the trailer attack Malcolm is once again basically out of commission and delirious and she basically carries him around the rest of the book.

I look at those gifs...

jSKkQhS.gif

d1GlDJw.gif

lIGqnrZ.gif

...then I look at these. It's crazy how much better the dinosaurs and cinematography look in The Lost World.
These do NOT look like garbage. I'll give you the slight edge with the cinematography, but even then, the next post shows gifs that are similar to, if not worse than, JW.

These do NOT look like garbage. I'll give you the slight edge with the cinematography, but even then, the next post shows gifs that are similar to, if not worse than, JW.
I can give JW the edge in CG, but I'm saying that JW just looks like overproduced garbage when compared to TLW. It's like The Hobbit vs. The Lord of The Rings. TH has significantly better CG than LoTR, but LoTR overall looks much better.

That's how I feel about JW vs TLW.

Top Bottom