• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something has survived... Happy 20th birthday, The Lost World: Jurassic Park!

I really like the movie. It maintained same sense of wonder as the original, and it didn't go full goofy like JP3 did. In my opinion dinosaur movies work best the closer they are to horror. I want to see people trying to avoid being eaten by dinosaurs trying to survive, make a shelter, find food, evading raptors, etc.

I would have been okay without the whole San Diego portion. Although I must admit it was cool to see a T-Rex in an urban setting. The original still remains the best. None of the sequels have managed to best it yet.

This film and the sequels had no ideas. They struggle for reasons to have people running away from dinosaurs and just aren't very compelling.

I'll never stop being angry with the way Eddie is unceremoniously killed in one of the crueler death sequences in this series.

I'd expect to see that, MAYBE, for a human villain. This always seemed so unnecessary to me.
I agree, the series does kill off some of the "good" guys so you can feel a sense of danger for the protags but this one seemed kinda fucked up, to give a money shot type of kill to Eddie of all people. It was definitely in the same vein of the assistant of JW getting eaten.

This is as good a place as any to ask...

Way back when, TLW had a webpage that you could log into (think similar to the Carrington Institute from Perfect Dark) that gave clues to a potential Jurassic Park III (before it was made).

I remember reading that the proposed third installment would jump between times; taking place between JP and TLW, during TLW (for example, showing in detail what happened aboard the ship that ran aground in San Diego in TLW) and then finishing after that to a potential fourth movie that would be a new island.

I distinctly remember trying to log-in to the site and also reading about the time jumping.
Never heard of this but it sounds pretty cool in all honesty.

Daingurse

I'll never stop being angry with the way Eddie is unceremoniously killed in one of the crueler death sequences in this series.

I'd expect to see that, MAYBE, for a human villain. This always seemed so unnecessary to me.

Eddie got it really bad, but I never really had a problem with him getting taken out. I see a lot of comments on the mean spiritedness of the movie, but I guess that never really bothered me. I don't need a person to deserve a horrible death. Sometimes people just die horribly!

The TRex looks so much more menacing here than in Jurassic World

I dont know what they changed. They head? The textures?

just look at strafers gifs.

They completely fucked with the skeletal structure for one, and it ended up looking more like a JP rex knockoff. They lost also those great angles on the brow and jaw, and rounded them out.

While some were purposeful, the real issue arose from them scanning a 1:5th maquette that had a different design and then telling the artists 'go watch the old films for reference'

Universal archives are a clisterfuck of nothing

Loved it as a kid, will tolerate it now in small doses. In fact it was just on TV here and I caught a good portion of it. Other than the issues already mentioned I had one thing bother me more than it should have: when the ship arrived at the port all of the workers on the bridge were torn apart. No way the T-Rex could have fit in there to do that. Or was it assumed that there were other creatures, such as raptors, on the ship?

Melon Husk

Equals JP in many scenes but it didn't need to repeat the family thematic from JP.

I don't despise Rex Kong in San Diego but it could've been better... It sort of comes out of nowhere.

What's this talk about extended scenes and alternate endings? I had no idea.

One of two movies I've walked out of, the other being Batman and Robin.

Hated how different from the book the movie was.

There are two kinds of people...

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I think Eddie and Zara's deaths seem particularly "mean" because we actually see it happen on screen.

Most of the deaths in the franchise are implied, or cut away before the really gruesome stuff happens. Genarro gets glomped and shaken before it cuts away. The raptor kills either show a leap attack, head chomp, or bodies are discovered after the fact. Nedry had a cut away after the dilophosaur roars at him and opens his fins in the jeep.

Eddie's was the first where we really see the dinosaur kill completely, with no cut away. Ditto for Zara's, which was rough because she gets dragged around by Dactyl's before the Mosasaur eats her.

I thought the deaths were brutal, but not mean spirited. Animals don't play, man.

Parch

Lost World is a fine example of internet opinion extremes. The hyperbole hate seems excessive to me. I understand the plot holes and it was the first movie where the franchise started getting a bit silly, but I still enjoyed it a lot and I think it's on par with the original. A lot of it was just giving the fans what they wanted. Putting a TRex in a modern city setting is something that just had to happen.

I'm not too fond of where JP has gone since then, but the first is a classic and the second was a fine follow up. Both are gems IMO.

Google

Guys,

I have a vivid memory of seeing Jurassic Park 2 in the cinema. (I also remember seeing the original as well - it was amazing).

JP2 scared the fucking shit out of me.

For whatever reason, I was really upset about those tiny little dinosaurs ripping that one hunter to shreds. It terrified me and I would close my eyes during that scene.

I like that movie.

I think Eddie and Zara's deaths seem particularly "mean" because we actually see it happen on screen.

Most of the deaths in the franchise are implied, or cut away before the really gruesome stuff happens. Genarro gets glomped and shaken before it cuts away. The raptor kills either show a leap attack, head chomp, or bodies are discovered after the fact. Nedry had a cut away after the dilophosaur roars at him and opens his fins in the jeep.

Eddie's was the first where we really see the dinosaur kill completely, with no cut away. Ditto for Zara's, which was rough because she gets dragged around by Dactyl's before the Mosasaur eats her.

I thought the deaths were brutal, but not mean spirited. Animals don't play, man.
Seems kinda fucked the on screen kills in the series all occur to good people though lol. Why couldn't we see Blue rip into Vincent for a little bit?

They completely fucked with the skeletal structure for one, and it ended up looking more like a JP rex knockoff. They lost also those great angles on the brow and jaw, and rounded them out.

While some were purposeful, the real issue arose from them scanning a 1:5th maquette that had a different design and then telling the artists 'go watch the old films for reference'

Universal archives are a clisterfuck of nothing
Makes sense. I knew it looked different compared to the JP animatronic but I wasn't sure after all these years. Sucks that even if it wasn't as good as JPs that we'll probably never get anything that large scale again. CGI is great, the raptors in particular look good in JW, but man the Rex mode looked a little rough. Don't know if it was the color of her skin or the way they animated her or what but it was off.

I think, tonally, Zara's death was off putting because of the way the film framed the sequence and never really acknowledged the horror.

I get what they were going for - but it just didn't work. Visually, it's cool as fuck though.

Top Bottom