• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Appears To Show Baltimore Police Planting Drugs At A Crime Scene

ApharmdX

Banned
mildshock.jpg

In the January 2017 video, Baltimore Police Officer Richard Pinheiro appears to place a bag of pills under some garbage in an alley. He then walks back out to the street, at which point he activates the body camera. But because the cameras are programmed to capture the 30 seconds prior to activation, the officer’s actions before returning from the alley were recorded.

Somebody didn't pay attention in training.

shira

He then walks back out to the street, at which point he activates the body camera. But because the cameras are programmed to capture the 30 seconds prior to activation, the officer’s actions before returning from the alley were recorded.
I guess he didn't read the manual

I wonder how much storage would be required to store say...

- small but reasonable range of color
- 18fps
- 640x480 (maybe even 480 interlaced)

For a full shift (so let's say 8 hours)? Anyone have any guesses? Just thinking about how much storage space would be required to indeed store say 4 months of data for 1 officer.

This with your avatar is perfect.
:-3

Seriously guys. It is pretty obvious that he forgot to turn on the camera when they actually found the drugs.

Just trying to replay the events on camera.

gutshot

hRMJF1x.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I always laugh at the bad apples argument. One bad apple could plant evidence and put you away for years, or take your life. Its not like bad apples in another industry where maybe they try to upsell you when all you want are your tires rotated.

I can't wait till bodycams are federally required and signs of tampering are cause for some sort of disciplinary action. Oh wait, I was daydreaming again.

Osukaa

Can't even imagine how many innocent people are doing hard time behind bars because of shit like this. The real criminals wear blue.

I used to think otherwise as a kid but from the experiences I've seen some people have and plus all this stuff I sadly have to agree. The biggest gang in the US is our Police Force.. fckn disgusting and it is such a messed up thing to know there are innocents doing time for set ups like this..

As someone supposed to protect and serve the people they deserve the harshest punishments for shit like this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I always laugh at the bad apples argument. One bad apple could plant evidence and put you away for years, or take your life. Its not like bad apples in another industry where maybe they try to upsell you when all you want are your tires rotated.

I would buy the "bad apples" position if bullshit didn't happen every damn day.

I agree they should always be on, but if I recall right, their rationale for them not being on was the massive storage space having 100% uptime would consume.

Not saying I agree just answering the thought.

Makes sense that Baltimore, the city where the police have a small fleet of drones recording the city, is worried about storage space /s

Seriously guys. It is pretty obvious that he forgot to turn on the camera when they actually found the drugs.

Just trying to replay the events on camera.
This will be his successful defense, yes. With the other officers verifying the story.
Quick mental calculation around 20gb give or take
I see. Is that ~20GB per day or for 4 months? I assume 4 months but I didn't want to assume.

- 18fps

For a full shift (so let's say 8 hours)? Anyone have any guesses? Just thinking about how much storage space would be required to indeed store say 4 months of data for 1 officer.

Quick mental calculation around 20gb give or take

Should be on at all times during a shift. Stop buying tanks and other unnecessary weaponry and use some of that civil forfeiture cash on storage.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How does the camera capture 30 seconds before activation? How would it know when you are going to press the button? Or does it just always record and not save?

They're continuously recording, they're just not retaining the video footage if the camera isn't switched on for storage reasons.

norm9

- 18fps

My work just installed cameras. I was talking to the installation guy about storage; We have a 4 terabyte hard drive, 11 hi-def cameras capturing 24 hours a day, and the system saves 30 days of data before it starts deleting the old stuff, not necessarily because of space concerns, they just picked 30 days as a nice round number.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

- 18fps

Power requirements would probably be the bigger issue. Would probably need a decent sized pack to last 8-10 hour shifts.

Enzom21

So are the two cops who are standing around the "good" cops we keep hearing about?
They certainly didn't turn this cop in so they must not be good cops.
Until things like this stop, there are no good cops.

KSweeley

Baltimore Police is under a court ordered consent decree: https://www.baltimorepolice.org/transparency/department-justice

The Compliance, Accountability and External Affairs Division (CAEAD) is responsible for enacting reforms resulting from the Department of Justice (DOJ) consent decree in a manner that improves working conditions for police officers, increases public safety for communities, and strengthens the relationship between law enforcement and citizens. The first unit of its kind to be created prior to the release of the DOJ's investigative results, CAEAD is comprised of three units: Reform/Programmatic Support, Internal Audits and Assessments, and External Affairs.

krazen

lol. The DA and police union will fight tooth and nail defending this then wonder why certain communities don't accept them with open arms/won't give them the 'All cops are inherently good' pass and say its #BLM fault

- 18fps

H264 at 1080p x 30fps @ 4Mbps is about 2GB per hour. With H265, I think it's around 1.3-1.4GB per hour. For 480p at 18fps, you can probably get away with 1 Mbps. At 1Mbps, 1 hour of video is about 450MB. So for a full shift, about 4GB. So a cheap USB stick will be sufficient.

Oppo

I would buy the "bad apples" position if bullshit didn't happen every damn day.

I wish they'd stop using that idiom the wrong way anyhow.

"A few bad apples spoils the barrel"

which is what everyone has been trying to tell them for years

anyways clearly the "OFF" button on those body cams should actually be "HIGH QUALITY MODE"

Socivol

I don't understand why stuff like this needs to be investigated when it involves cops. If this was a civilian the video would be evidence enough to charge someone in a crime. These cops will probably face no punishment for this and it's crazy.

I don't understand why stuff like this needs to be investigated when it involves cops. If this was a civilian the video would be evidence enough to charge someone in a crime. These cops will probably face no punishment for this and it's crazy.

paid leave -> resign -> get hired at a PD a few counties away

Socivol

paid leave -> resign -> get hired at a PD a few counties away

That shit is insane to me too. I feel like there should be a national registry for stuff like that. I'm a former teacher and on applications they straight up ask if your license has been suspended and there is an online database you can look to see licensure status. I wonder why something similarly cannot be applied to law enforcement. Getting fired from a department should be flagged for any other department you attempt to apply to.

RinsFury

As a cop you can literally walk up and execute any civilian on the street without consequence, doesn't matter if it's caught on film or not because 99/100 times there won't be any charges. Particularly if it's a minority. They all know they are above the law.

H264 at 1080p x 30fps @ 4Mbps is about 2GB per hour. With H265, I think it's around 1.3-1.4GB per hour. For 480p at 18fps, you can probably get away with 1 Mbps. At 1Mbps, 1 hour of video is about 450MB. So for a full shift, about 4GB. So a cheap USB stick will be sufficient.
So about 750GB per officer to store 6 months of full 8-hour shifts. Assuming battery life issues could be resolved, hopefully this is something that can happen in the future. Also, that's about 1 exabyte for the entire US police force? Interesting. Anyway, that is a very reasonable amount of storage in 2017 on a per department basis and only gets more affordable as time goes along. Hopefully we get there.

ApharmdX

Banned

- 18fps

Agency where I work uses the same vendor as Baltimore PD for body cameras. They deployed theirs in 2016 I believe, not sure which model. There are two in widespread use from this vendor. One is standard def, 8GB storage. The other model, which is likely the one Baltimore uses, is high-def (1080p/720p) and has 64GB storage.

They are spec'ced with more storage than you'd think because some departments do 12 hour shifts, and a cop could respond to a call 5 minutes before his shift is up that ties him up for additional time.

Top Bottom