• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second body cam video shows Baltimore cops allegedly planting evidence

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Video from ABC News. Look at all those good cops standing around. This doesn't show the full video, which hasn't been released.

CBS news report video. Shows a bit more of the body cam video.

The Baltimore Public Defender’s office said Monday that it has a second police body-camera video that “appears to depict multiple officers working together to manufacture evidence.”

It said related charges against one of its clients were dropped Monday in Baltimore Circuit Court.

The new video involves different officers, the public defender’s office said. The officers were not named.

Melissa Rothstein, a spokeswoman for the public defender’s office, said the latest video shows a co-defendant of her office’s client. That person is not represented by the public defender’s office. Therefore, the office is not releasing the footage, she said.

The public defender’s office said the related case that was dropped Monday involved seven officers, though Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby’s office has only referred two officers to the police department’s Internal Affairs division.

Melba Saunders, a spokeswoman for Mosby, confirmed prosecutors had referred two officers to Internal Affairs, saying they “had questions” about the video. But she also urged caution in assessing the officers’ actions “as deceptive and/or a credibility issue” before a thorough review is conducted.

“Pending the Baltimore Police Department’s investigation pertaining to the officer’s conduct, the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office is requesting postponements on all cases involving the officers,” Saunders said. “We look forward to continuing the advancement and pursuit of justice for all.”

Mosby also said a second video had been flagged by prosecutors as potentially problematic, but declined to describe that video. She said it had been forwarded to Internal Affairs for review. Police said it “involves two arrests and the recovery of drugs from a car during a traffic stop.”

Police also said there is a gap in the video “before the final recovery of additional drugs” that is now being investigated. They did not say whether any officers had been reprimanded or had their status changed pending that investigation.

Description of the full video:

“A series of body worn camera videos show multiple officers searching a car, including the front driver side area,” said public defender’s office spokesperson Melissa Rothstein. “After the car has been thoroughly searched, the officers turn off their body cameras and reactivate them. When the cameras come back on one officer is seen squatting by the driver’s seat area. The group of officers then wait approximately 30 seconds.”

Baltimore police use cameras that retain 30 seconds of silent footage prior to an officer pressing the record button. The silent period, known as a “buffer,” is supposed to show the moments before an officer flagged an incident as noteworthy.

“Shortly thereafter, another officer asks if the area by that compartment has been searched. Nobody responds, and the officer reaches in and locates a bag that appears to contain drugs right by where the prior officer was, and where the car had been thoroughly searched about a half an hour prior with absolutely no results.”

Xtl8ePh.png

norm9

Video of cops being dirty recorded by the cops themselves. It's gonna be a crazy pretzel to blame someone else, but they'll do it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Baltimore police use cameras that retain 30 seconds of silent footage prior to an officer pressing the record button. The silent period, known as a “buffer,” is supposed to show the moments before an officer flagged an incident as noteworthy.

Wait, how does this work? You get 30 seconds of footage before the officer hits the record button?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Wait, how does this work? You get 30 seconds of footage before the officer hits the record button?

The cameras are always recording 30 seconds of footage, but never saves it. It only saves the 30 seconds of footage if the cop presses the record button.

McLovin

I firmly believe that any time the camera happens to be off the courts should automatically side with the victim. Everyone knows this kind of bs goes on all the time.
If they were smart they would just make them turn on automatically without telling the officers. Like have it detect when the sirens turn on, when the officer is speeding to a scene, maybe put a sensor onto the holster and make the camera start recording as soon as he pulls it, with a 1 minute buffer. Sure you would lose a lot of cops, but they would all be bad anyway.

There are bad apples and those who cover for bad apples.
We call those cops....bad apples as well.

Fuck em

I keep asking and I keep getting nothing for an answer. People are quick to jump in and chide about how not all cops are bad. Then all cops not coming out against this are complicit. I guarantee that body cam isn't the only thing within that police department to be aware of a contingent of cops who plant drugs. Once this shit happens, how can you trust the arrest record of the city's department at all? How can you trust any cop who comes out of those doors at all and why should you?

I'm still waiting for one of these mythical good cops apoloGAF keeps telling me about to take a meaningful stand against the pervasive corruption run amok in seemingly every police department in the country.

milkham

Snarky❤;245155755 said:
Have seen literally not a single one.

does Adrian Schoolcraft count?

"After voicing his concerns, Schoolcraft was reportedly harassed and reassigned to a desk job. After he left work early one day, an ESU unit illegally entered his apartment, physically abducted him and forcibly admitted him to a psychiatric facility, where he was held against his will for six days."

he even had another recorder going when they came into his place and took him to the psychiatric facility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft

I'm sure this kind of shit is common but sure, let's act surprised

or we can pretend that me thinking cops manufacture arrests of certain groups being common is as bad as cops manufacturing arrests of certain groups, whatever

it's not like this shit is going to change anyway, this is how police want to operate and "mainstream america" loves it & worships them

Kin5290

Think I saw something about this. BPD is seriously fucked up. Didn't the Obama DoJ publish a pretty damning report about Baltimore police corruption and abuse of power? Of course with Trump and Sessions the DoJ is going to be cleaning up after dirty cops and not going after them.

At this point I'm hoping that State's Attorney Mosby stays safe, considering how many times she's gone up against the Baltimore Police Department.

Epcott

Crazy how at the same time Baltimore citizens are up in arms about Kap possibly being signed for the Ravens... because he took a knee to protest against police misconduct 🤔

How long we been telling ya'll.

"Well if minorities would just stop with this anti-police attitude and rhetoric, maybe officers of the law wouldn't have to plant evidence"

Honestly, I can't do it anymore with cop worship.

does Adrian Schoolcraft count?

Adrian Schoolcraft, Frank Serpico, all one man armies from years ago when supposedly we keep being told how departments are just filled to the brim with "good cops". The corruption still exists so maybe it's time for all of those "good apples" to band together to address this if it still isn't being accomplished by single whistleblowers who have to bear incredible burdens.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Honestly, cops simply have too much power. Anyone with the power they have will do some corrupt shit at some point I think. Also, would need to completely clean house to deal with the corruption, otherwise the rot in the system will just infect everything new. Never gonna happen though.

Lord, I was expecting this to be the same drug planting video from the other thread, just from another cam, but its whole other incident. You can only imagine how often this goes on.

milkham

"Well if minorities would just stop with this anti-police attitude and rhetoric, maybe officers of the law wouldn't have to plant evidence"

Honestly, I can't do it anymore with cop worship.

Adrian Schoolcraft, Frank Serpico, all one man armies from years ago when supposedly we keep being told how departments are just filled to the brim with "good cops". The corruption still exists so maybe it's time for all of those "good apples" to band together to address this if it still isn't being accomplished by single whistleblowers who have to bear incredible burdens.

well yeah he was the only one i could think of

Top Bottom