• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World Map Screens That Sucked You Into the Game

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I really liked the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross world maps. All the little details made up for the fact that there wasn't that much exploration to do. CT wins because there's all the different time zones. The mind=blown moment described for FFVII sounds familiar too. I was expecting/looking forward to leaving Midgar and seeing the rest of the world, but the moment you're actually out there.. Still magical. FFVI had a fantastic build-up too, where you mess around in Narshe for an hour or so, then the brilliant world theme kicks in when you head outside - magical. But Squaresoft upped the ante with FFVII. VIII and IX were definitely a let-down for me in this regard - first time heading out of the Garden/Alexandria is rather uneventful in comparison.

I've been burned out on JRPG's for a couple of years now, but I'm still sorta hoping for something new offering all the classic elements - kick-ass world map included.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That particular world was exclusively available in the GBA port.

Doesn't excuse the art style plummeting.

Ln3EE.png

Is that Comic Sans I spy on Funky's Rentals?

StayDead

FE Awakening's World Map is so good, especially as you move around it doing the story.

Ukdbll.jpg

Also the in game map in New Love Plus is really inviting. It just seems so alive.

Uzny

fez

fez_1.jpg

At first, I didn't now what was going on, running blind. I began to ask myself if maybe I should head back to previous location and check out other doors because the map seemed like it won't ever end.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Isn't the extreme brightness just compensating for the original GBA's dark screen?

It is brighter for that reason, yes, but that doesn't stop the fact that it was completely remodeled and looked like it was done so by a high school student. The redone maps in DKC3 GBA were just a travesty (along with the complete tossing out of the original soundtrack!).

Row

Banned
Looking at the vice city and san andreas maps on my way home from the game store was pure bliss and excitement

Shaffield

www.totalvideogames.com_Resonance_of_Fate-Xbox_360Screenshots16822WORLDMAP_All_68204__size_655_1500.jpg

The map of Basel in Resonance of Fate is pretty sweet.
I love how filling out all the hexes on a level makes it more detailed on the world map.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I actually liked the map in Risen

597929593.jpg

It was detailed enough so you wouldn't lose your way in the thick jungles but it didn't reveal any secret paths so exploring was still awesomely fun.

If anyone has a game where the exploring is even half as fun, please tell

SamVT

The map for the original Ultima Online. That place was so big. Then they screwed it up with Tramel and Felucia.

ultima_large.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Zeal and Dereth on first page. Gaf make proud.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Came to post Chrono Cross and Valkyrie Profile 2 - nicely done yepyepyep.

Daggerfall's map is probably worth a mention. Absolutely vast, shame it all looks pretty much the same!

Zoomed out:
iliacbay.jpg

Zoomed in on one province (Daggerfall) showing all the places you can visit:
daggerfallmap.gif

Top Bottom