• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Game Informer Preview: World map, Game Length, Mini Games, Towns + More.

Go_Ly_Dow

Cover
407183416_1349207229033570_8830525073277605726_n.png

Full Preview >>> https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2023/12/19/exclusive-impressions-from-exploring-junon

Quotes
Map
Driving this hands-off demo is director Naoki Hamaguchi. He pulls up the world map to show just how massive the explorable area of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is.

While each section of each region – in this case, Grasslands and Junon – is labeled on the map as separate areas, you can seamlessly walk between them. "We thought that it would be easier for players to go to just one region, and so from a U.I. perspective, we have it separated – Junon and Grasslands – but in actuality, you can traverse, and they're all connected with each other," Hamaguchi says.
Sidequests
Sidequests play a huge role in Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, but naturally, players will need to make the conscious decision to take them on. Making players seek this side content out was a mission the development team took on. "Part of our game design that we took on for Rebirth is that in the main storyline, you'll be saving Yuffie and Under Junon, and then from there, going towards Junon, and then go forward towards Costa del Sol," Hamaguchi says. "But for example, hearing the stories of the anti-Shinra people living in Under Junon, you could then feel like, 'What about this Crow's Nest area that I'm hearing about? Maybe I want to go over there and explore and go into a side adventure on my own to save people.' We want the player to be able to make these different adventures and go on their own journeys according to their interests." Sidequests obviously give you plenty of additional opportunities to learn about the world and its denizens, but one of their primary functions in Rebirth is to expand on the relationships between the characters. Sidequests feature specific secondary protagonists alongside Cloud; completing the quest will deepen and expand the relationship between Cloud and that character.
New locales
In this demo, Hamaguchi shows me the Crow's Nest, a new town not present in the original Final Fantasy VII. This sister town to Under Junon shares the same anti-Shinra sentiment and serves as a hub for sidequests and, as I soon find out, minigames.

"In Rebirth, we've added these types of cities like the Crow's Nest – totally new cities that did not exist in the original to go deeper and create this whole worldview of Rebirth
Minigames
With the main thing Hamaguchi wanted to show me behind us, we're nearing the end of this portion of the demo. However, he wants to give me an idea of what to expect with one of his favorite sidequests. Back at the Crow's Nest, Hamaguchi guides Cloud and the party in the direction of a piano, but on the way, he walks past a man talking about a card game. While Hamaguchi remains tight-lipped about the mechanics, in talking with the team, I learn that it's a strategic card game that Cloud will be able to compete in across the region. Different NPCs provide varying degrees of challenge to players, but the team hopes players will enjoy the deck-building aspect of this minigame. We eventually arrive at the piano. Through exploration, Cloud can find sheet music for compositions within the Final Fantasy VII world. He can then sit at a piano and play the music. This rhythm-based minigame has you use the analog sticks to play the required notes, plus some of the buttons to change octaves and keys. It looks extremely intricate in its highest form, but that's nothing compared to what Hamaguchi shows me next, as he goes to freeplay mode, where players can play whatever they want on the piano using the in-game mechanics.
Length
As someone who loves Remake, continuing the story of Cloud and his friends is immediately appealing, but it's the more open nature of this game that is calling my name. In fact, according to Hamaguchi, side content makes up about 80 percent of the exploration-based content, but even just focusing on the main storyline, players can still expect about 40 hours of gameplay. Meanwhile, those who do a good amount of side content should expect approximately a 60-hour playthrough, while the most dedicated sidequesters could top the 100-hour mark for their save file.

362_hubhero.jpg

ffviirebirth_minigame.jpg
GBu7dwKWQAA1jf4
ffviirebirth_game_informer_world_5.jpg

ffviirebirth_game_informer_world_1.jpg

ffviirebirth_game_informer_battle_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yet another 40 hour game bloated with 40 hours of side-quests?They learned nothing with FF16. No thanks.
I don’t know how you got that from this:

one of the sidequests’ primary functions in Rebirth is to expand on the relationships between the characters. Sidequests feature specific secondary protagonists alongside Cloud; completing the quest will deepen and expand the relationship between Cloud and that character.

This sounds much, much better than FF16’s ‘please fetch me some vegetables’ or ‘please find parts to my machine’ sidequests. I just hope it’s better than FF16’s character quests, which were also essentially ‘defend the village’ or ‘collect feathers’ with the quest ending on the other character giving you a small few sentences of touching dialogue.

I would love for them to take some lessons on how to do character-centric sidequests from Mass Effect.

DosGamer

Can somebody please explain this game to me.

I played the original FF7 on the PSone
I played the new FF7 remake on PS4/pS5 (can remember)...
So is this part to of that remake or is this the whole game redone? Should I beat the remake before moving on to this game?

Go_Ly_Dow

Can somebody please explain this game to me.

I played the original FF7 on the PSone
I played the new FF7 remake on PS4/pS5 (can remember)...
So is this part to of that remake or is this the whole game redone? Should I beat the remake before moving on to this game?
This is part 2/3 of the remake trilogy. The trilogy is more of sequel to the original game and new presentation for the events that took place in that. You'll want to beat the 1st part before playing this and you can get it for free on PS5 with PS+ or by preordering Rebirth. It's quite cheap these days if you want to buy it physically.

I love what they are doing with the world map from everything I have seen. I think FFXVI was a big step back compared to the open world map in FFXV. Everything felt like a little bit larger corridor, so having this open world map alone is a step in the right direction.

LordCBH

This is part 2/3 of the remake trilogy. The trilogy is more of sequel to the original game and new presentation for the events that took place in that. You'll want to beat the 1st part before playing this and you can get it for free on PS5 with PS+ or by preordering Rebirth. It's quite cheap these days if you want to buy it physically.

Specifically the physical PS4 disc is cheap. The PS5 version seems borderline impossible to find. It feels like they did one run of the PS5 version and called it a day.

Specifically the physical PS4 disc is cheap. The PS5 version seems borderline impossible to find. It feels like they did one run of the PS5 version and called it a day.
They will probably do a run of a trilogy set with all 3 near the end of this decade.

Lord willing, Silent Hill 2 shall surpass this, and all remakes.
Even if the story beats and fog are copied 1:1 on the remake, some people here will still complain that they updated the combat from PS2-jank to modern controls.

Kumomeme

. Through exploration, Cloud can find sheet music for compositions within the Final Fantasy VII world. He can then sit at a piano and play the music.

this remind me of FFV. one of my favourite aspect of that game is exploring and locating each piano in the cities/town and increase playing skill.

Go_Ly_Dow

this remind me of FFV. one of my favourite aspect of that game is exploring and locating each piano in the cities/town and increase playing skill.

Nice. There's another game I recall that had a similar mini game (not FFV) but I can't remember the name of it.

Top Bottom