• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth's open world is inspired by The Witcher 3 and Horizon

Draugoth

Gold Member
z2fxx8VpPisBLfyjaYd8d5-970-80.jpg.webp

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth's open world is apparently inspired by Final Fantasy 15, Horizon, and The Witcher 3.

At Paris Games Week 2023 earlier this month, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth co-director Naoki Hamaguchi fielded questions from French outlet FF Dream about the upcoming game. When asked about Rebirth's open world, Hamaguchi began by saying Final Fantasy 15 gave the development team experience needed to work on Rebirth's open world.

Additionally, Hamaguchi also pointed to The Witcher 3 and the Horizon series for touchstones for Rebirth's open world. The co-director doesn't specifically point to Horizon Forbidden West as an inspiration for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, so don't automatically assume Square Enix is looking to the more recent of the two games for inspiration.

From the sounds of things, then, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is going to be a pretty huge game. Square Enix already revealed last month in October that it'll take around 40 hours to beat Rebirth, which already positions the new game as bigger than 2020's Remake, if you're going purely by the length of the main story and critical path.

Last edited:

skit_data

Personally I hope there's a lot more from Witcher 3 than from Horizon relatively.
Horizon is great in several aspects a but there's rarely a sense of discovery and stumbling into an adventure compared to Witcher 3.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems appropriate to shoot for something similar to Horizon 1. Higher fidelity graphics, pseudo open world with some linear sections.

Why are there two identical pics of Sephiroth that have nothing to do with open worlds in the OP?
One is for Horizon, and the other is for Witcher 3. In this case the hand represents inspiration and he is looking at it.

duh

Last edited:

LakeOf9

Oh man, in terms of actual open world design, Horizon and Witcher 3 are both pretty poor. That said they work well with more of a story focus, so I imagine that’s why they picked that style for FF7R too.

artsi

Oh man, in terms of actual open world design, Horizon and Witcher 3 are both pretty poor. That said they work well with more of a story focus, so I imagine that’s why they picked that style for FF7R too.

What's wrong with Witcher 3 open world though, it's huge and has a ton of detail / variety?

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Horizon inspiration is likely in reference to all the materials and collectible resources and shit. From the demo footage I've seen, there's lots of gathering and crafting.

Fbh

I hope that also means you'll be able to find worthwhile sidequests like in the Witcher 3 and they don't just mean the game will have a big area with question marks.

Top Bottom