• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Has Sold Around 2 Million Copies, PS5 Player Data Suggests

I was attempting to not take your bait and get derailed even more into pointless bickering. What do you want me to say about FFXVI? What do you think I am ignoring? I'm glad the MMO team got a shot at making an original game. Cool. XIV sounds like it's really popular so give them a shot at something new. That's exactly what I want to see more of. I personally think the game is a huge disappointment, but I don't think it's a management or strategy mistake to greenlight the project. What does that have to do with me thinking CBU1 is wasted on a remake?

Don’t like original titles like FF16

Don’t like remakes, despite basically being entirely new games

Don’t like goofy characters unless it’s the FF game everyone universally tends to dislike

You just seem like you’re not a FF fan in general. That’s fine, but even if they made a new game like FF17 instead of FF7:R you’d find a way to be dismissive of it.

Most real FF fans seem to be happy right and eating better than they have in decades

Last edited:

Caffeine

Kinda makes sense every direct sequel to a ff game has sold significantly less. I wouldn't be shocked if they have 1/3rd of the remake players by the third game. The sequels don't tend to pick up new gamers en masse just sells to a portion of existing customers.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Don’t like goofy characters unless it’s the FF game everyone universally tends to dislike

You just seem like you’re not a FF fan in general. That’s fine, but even if they made a new game like FF17 instead of FF7:R you’d find a way to be dismissive of it.
I'm allowed to like and dislike whatever I want. That's completely irrelevant to anything we're talking about. You do this all the time.

I erased my whole ignore list and tried to give everyone a 2nd chance but you're about to get on there a 2nd time. I haven't personally insulted you once or implied you're a liar but that's basically all you are doing here to me.

proandrad

The style of FF16 just appeals to more players. No new players that played the FF16 demo and got hyped for it cared about potential side quest or mini games. They were just in it for the rollercoaster style dbz ride.

I'm allowed to like and dislike whatever I want. That's completely irrelevant to anything we're talking about. You do this all the time.

I erased my whole ignore list and tried to give everyone a 2nd chance but you're about to get on there a 2nd time. I haven't personally insulted you once or implied you're a liar but that's basically all you are doing here to me.

You’re way too sensitive. I’m not insulting you or calling you a liar, I’m simply arguing your own statements.

You’re free to have an opinion. I just think that anyone that doesn’t like the original FF7 and can’t find something to enjoy from either FF7:Rebirth or FF16 is probably not much of an FF fan to begin with. Both games are highly rated and well received and came out in a timely fashion, it’s a big improvement over the prior decade for the series.

You’re arguing opportunity cost and I just don’t see it. FF16 sold similarly to Rebirth and 16 had a much higher marketing budget.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sales of FF16 and Rebirth is fine. Can't say it makes for any interesting discussion however. I think people just want acknowledgement that Square is happy about their product. There have been new entries in FF but they aren't particularly interesting to me. And that's fine.

If people don't want to hear about the blood feud with FF16 maybe stop bringing it up. So much talk about moving on and some people just can't seem to.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You’re way too sensitive. I’m not insulting you, I’m simply arguing your own statements.

You’re free to have an opinion. I just think that anyone that doesn’t like FF7 and can’t find something to enjoy from either FF7:Rebirth or FF16 is probably not much of an FF fan to begin with. Both games are highly rated and well received and came out in a timely fashion, it’s a big improvement over the prior decade for the series.

You’re arguing opportunity cost and I just don’t see it. FF16 sold similarly to Rebirth and 16 had a much higher marketing budget.
And I liked the prior decade, but found this one disappointing. And I'm able to talk about that with lots of people who disagree with me, like yourself, and I have no need to say anything about you personally, what level of fan you are, if you have ulterior motives, or if you're a liar. I just talk about the games and take what you say to be your opinion.

Fabieter

Most real FF fans seem to be happy right and eating better than they have in decades

No he sounds like a typical ff fan actually. Most of those are the problem. Iam sadly the exceptions whos liking all of them for different reasons but I like all mainline games and most spinoffs.

Mr Moose

Am I missing something or is that article full of shit?
This is what the article links to as the source.

Stellar Blade demo numbers impress, but will the hype convert to paying players?​

Sony’s Stellar Blade is an upcoming, AAA action RPG (ARPG) with Soulslike elements from Korean studio Shift Up, which is set for full release on April 26. The game is a PlayStation 5 exclusive – as was recent release, and fellow ARPG, Final Fantasy VII (FFVII) Rebirth – and it has attracted considerable interest for not just its character design (which has proven divisive) but also its polished gameplay and performance.
The console and PC games markets are currently awash with ARPGs, with a number of these emerging from Asian studios. Dragon’s Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin were just two new additions to the genre in March, garnering upwards of 2m monthly active users (MAUs) and just shy of 1m MAUs respectively according to Ampere’s Games Analytics data; plus the hotly-anticipated new Elden Ring DLC is set for release in June. Clearly there is increasing competition in this space, but at the moment, the consumer appetite for APRGs seems to continue to match, or even outpace, relevant content releases.

Daily active user numbers for the Stellar Blade demo, which launched at the end of March, have more than doubled those seen for the FFVII Rebirth demo. The chart demonstrates a launch performance which would match that of FFVII Rebirth; but this is perhaps a best-case scenario. The hype surrounding Stellar Blade – largely focused on its character models - may have resulted in inflated interest in the demo, and the rate of conversion to paying, launch users could fall short of what we have seen for its competitors.
Despite some similarities in genre, style, and therefore potential audience, Stellar Blade and FFVII Rebirth represent quite different commercial cases. FFVII Rebirth is based on an established classic with a deep-rooted fandom – plus, it is a sequel, rather than a standalone game. It is therefore unlikely that quite as many demo players were drawn simply by curiosity or hype, and conversion in that case is likely to be more predictable, and hearty. Stellar Blade, on the other hand, is a brand-new IP with no pre-existing fandom, making its performance a great deal more difficult to project.
but PS5 daily active user data suggests that it's surpassed at least 2 million copies since its launch on the 29th February.
Where is this info from?

Last edited:
And I liked the prior decade, but found this one disappointing. And I'm able to talk about that with lots of people who disagree with me, like yourself, and I have no need to say anything about you personally, what level of fan you are, if you have ulterior motives, or if you're a liar. I just talk about the games and take what you say to be your opinion.

You almost always enjoy games that others don’t and vice versa.

You like games that are unpopular or at least rated well below what a studio has been known for in terms of quality.

It’s just a recurring well known theme for your personal tastes and that’s cool, but it’s also contrarian and fringe generally. Most aren’t going to agree with you and you already know (and probably enjoy) that.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Bring that over to PC, I'll be sure to give it a good home. Loved Remake Intergrade...I'm ready for this one now. Thanks.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You’re way too sensitive. I’m not insulting you or calling you a liar, I’m simply arguing your own statements.

You’re free to have an opinion. I just think that anyone that doesn’t like the original FF7 and can’t find something to enjoy from either FF7:Rebirth or FF16 is probably not much of an FF fan to begin with. Both games are highly rated and well received and came out in a timely fashion, it’s a big improvement over the prior decade for the series.

I’ve been into the series since 1994 and even preordered FF7 on PSX (and bought Tobal No. 1 mainly because it included the first FF7 demo). I liked most entries in the series but I was very disappointed in 16 and 7 remake. I’d honestly take 15 (which was also disappointing) over either of those. And it’d seem “real fans” agree judging by the sales #s

What does that make me?

TBH someone who says that FF fans have been “eating better than they have in decades” seems to be pretty delusional, like you’re trying to convince yourself. Considering we’ve had a whopping 2 mainline games and a “announced in 2015 and still unfinished” 7 remake series in the last decade. Is there a worse 10-year period in the series’ history?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You almost always enjoy games that others don’t and vice versa.

You like games that are unpopular or at least rated well below what a studio has been known for in terms of quality.

It’s just a recurring well known theme for your personal tastes and that’s cool, but it’s also contrarian and fringe generally. Most aren’t going to agree with you and you already know (and probably enjoy) that.
I like the feeling of finding hidden gems. I was a huge fan of the original NieR when it got a 0/10 in Joystiq. Huge fan of NieR Automata despite it being popular and getting 90+ MC. I just liked the games. I'm also playing Gears of War 3 right now and having fun. That's pretty mainstream. I like almost all Nintendo games which are incredibly mainstream. I liked almost everything 1st party on PS4, all very mainstream.

We should try talking about the games instead of psychoanalyzing me. You're still doing it. Stop. Please lol. I really am trying to not block anyone, but I just need you to stop derailing the thread to focus exclusively on me and my character.

Mr Moose

I like the feeling of finding hidden gems. I was a huge fan of the original NieR when it got a 0/10 in Joystiq. Huge fan of NieR Automata despite it being popular and getting 90+ MC. I just liked the games. I'm also playing Gears of War 3 right now and having fun. That's pretty mainstream. I like almost all Nintendo games which are incredibly mainstream. I liked almost everything 1st party on PS4, all very mainstream.

We should try talking about the games instead of psychoanalyzing me. You're still doing it. Stop. Please lol. I really am trying to not block anyone, but I just need you to stop derailing the thread to focus exclusively on me and my character.
The real question is, did you like Redfall?

I played Automata and thought it was a bit cack, the first part was like how many genres can we fit into the opening of this game. Nice character model though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The real question is, did you like Redfall?
Did you know one time he questioned my motives and integrity so much I had to list my GOTY choices for every year? I'm still on trial. This is like every conversation.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
We should try talking about the games
I mean we have the FF7 Rebirth Spoiler thread. Plenty to talk about in there should you desire it. Far more interesting then lol game sales and comparing pie charts and watching if Square's stocks went up or down.

Mr Moose Mr Moose Redfall is not terrible after the patches it went through. It was a fun single player experience. Great atmosphere. If it goes on sale for $20 or below it's easily worth the foray.

Mr Moose

Do you know one time he questioned my motives and integrity so much I had to list my GOTY choices for every year? I'm still on trial. This is like every conversation.

Holy shit, FF IX is 24 years old?
Me right now:
tenor.gif

TBH someone who says that FF fans have been “eating better than they have in decades” seems to be pretty delusional, like you’re trying to convince yourself. Considering we’ve had a whopping 2 mainline games and a “announced in 2015 and still unfinished” 7 remake series in the last decade. Is there a worse 10-year period in the series’ history?

Games take 4 years to make now. That's just the reality of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Am I missing something or is that article full of shit?
This is what the article links to as the source.

Where is this info from?

The article itself may be speculation, but Zhuge (Danial Ahmad) did post in its light that the game is performing roughly half of what FFVII Remake did in a similar timeframe.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The article itself may be speculation, but Zhuge (Danial Ahmad) did post in its light that the game is performing roughly half of what FFVII Remake did in a similar timeframe.
It's such a weird article. The 2M wasn't even about Final Fantasy 7 (unless I am missing something).

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Draugoth Draugoth

I believe the data which probably is a guess anyway is saying 2.2mil at launch, so day 1 sales if this was to be believed.

Dragons Dogma 2 sold 2.5mil after 10 days and we can see in Europe Rebirth is in line with DD2 sales, in Japan it's much ahead, so no way it's just at 2mil sales LTD as the thread title suggests.

I think somewhere in the region of 3-4mil right now.
Well that's pretty damn good if remake did 7m lifetime. Seems like 16 had pretty decent legs according to monthly charts rankings throughout last year so seems it's not all doom and gloom for final fantasy. It just doesn't EXPLODE like some series do but like even 15 took forever to reach 10m and that's not even a well liked one

Chukhopops

Well that's pretty damn good if remake did 7m lifetime. Seems like 16 had pretty decent legs according to monthly charts rankings throughout last year so seems it's not all doom and gloom for final fantasy. It just doesn't EXPLODE like some series do but like even 15 took forever to reach 10m and that's not even a well liked one
FFXV actually reached 5M sales on launch day including Digital and counting « shipments ». It was a major success, higher than previous episodes (which tbf didn’t release the same day worldwide).

XVI was already a sharp drop compared to XV.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
FFXV actually reached 5M sales on launch day including Digital and counting « shipments ». It was a major success, higher than previous episodes (which tbf didn’t release the same day worldwide).

XVI was already a sharp drop compared to XV.
16 seems to have done fine long term plus cost less being developed for less platforms. Can't wait for the PC release to add to the probably 6m+

Remake came out when the PS4 was around 6 years old and had a pretty hefty user base. If they released Rebirth on PC day and date with the PS5 version it probably would've done a lot better. I'm sure lifetime sales will catch up.

Having said that, there's also people that were disappointed with Remake and are waiting for the game to go on sale in a year or two.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Games take 4 years to make now. That's just the reality of it.
15 was basically reassembled from bits and pieces of a different game announced 9 years earlier. And it required watching a movie + years of DLC just to finish the story.

7 Remake started as a contract job, and was brought in house and rebooted because of quality concerns.

16… I don’t know if we’ll ever get the whole story but I strongly suspect it started as a DMC-style FF spinoff then got reworked into a mainline game (and all the exploration zones, boring sidequests, and pointless crafting system were added to justify calling it Final Fantasy 16)

Yeah it takes a long time to make a AAA game nowadays but there’s a lot more going on here besides just long dev times.

Chukhopops

16 seems to have done fine long term plus cost less being developed for less platforms. Can't wait for the PC release to add to the probably 6m+
Well XVI certainly cost less than XV. Since XV was in dev hell for almost ten years, that’s a given.

I don’t know what were SE’s expectations for XVI so it’s hard to tell what would qualify as a success. Doesn’t look like the franchise is growing to say the least.

Skelterz

I think anybody who has played rebirth to its conclusion knows this game is mid a best the ending is awful I won’t spoil it here but I’ll be shocked if SE are able to remain independent with the way they’ve mismanaged the FF series over the last decade and a half.

I think anybody who has played rebirth to its conclusion knows this game is mid a best the ending is awful I won’t spoil it here but I’ll be shocked if SE are able to remain independent with the way they’ve mismanaged the FF series over the last decade and a half.

How have they mismanaged the series? Remake, Rebirth, and 16 all reviewed very well from both media and users. If you didn't like the games that's fine but I don't see how they are being mismanaged. Seems like they just aren't make FF games that you like anymore.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ppl liked 16 way more, FF7 rides on nostalgia and thats It, If u played the OG FF7 Remake is a good game, If not its just too cringe.

IF anything I'd say the piece of shit that 16 is negatively affect the far better game that is Rebirth.

Still, the game has likely sold 3 million or close to it, not 2.
more like they need to be able to deliver a proper FF formula they have missed since FFIX
Which is literally Rebirth. Its the embodiment of the old FF format made new, and its amazing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I’ve been into the series since 1994 and even preordered FF7 on PSX (and bought Tobal No. 1 mainly because it included the first FF7 demo). I liked most entries in the series but I was very disappointed in 16 and 7 remake. I’d honestly take 15 (which was also disappointing) over either of those. And it’d seem “real fans” agree judging by the sales #s

What does that make me?

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

> Complains about generalizations
> immediately generalizes and insults.

Last edited:

What does that make me?

Did you really try and claim FF15 quality is better because it sold more when that game was multiplatform with a much larger userbase?

That’s just flat out delusional nonsense and it’s comical you even made the argument. The metacritic and user scores objectively are rated higher and are higher than any final fantasy entry since the PS2 era which was my point.

Yeah, “we eating good” is accurate, sorry that triggers you when FF15 took seemingly over a decade to come out to fairly poor reception. I will take better games made more quickly any day of the week over some non applicable sales comparisons.

Last edited:
That's... eesh. Not very good, honestly. It needs to be on more than one platform.

Again, that is not in itself the reason sales may've been slower for Rebirth. People really have to get it out of their head that games inherently need to be on multiple platforms to be financially successful, because that simply isn't true.

They also need to get rid of the idea that games being exclusive is "anti-consumer": it isn't. Unless those folks can prove these companies are legally banning them from even purchasing their games whatsoever (especially on fraudulent grounds), then they can shove the "anti-consumer" talk up their pie hole.

I genuinely dislike how exclusivity in game software suddenly became a dirty concept, yet these massive companies can play exclusivity for IP rights, patents, trademarks etc. all day, and even buy up other companies to absorb their material and claim ownership over it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It is only available on PS5 and without playing the previous one you might not know what is going on. These are facts.
Article is shit with made-up info anyway.

Well, if you take Square on their word, Rebirth is great for new players to jump in.

Mr Moose

What's made up?
The whole article. Their source mentions 2 million for two different games and only talks about the demo of FF7, doesn't mention numbers (unless there's some info I have missed, that is).

Stellar Blade demo numbers impress, but will the hype convert to paying players?​

Sony’s Stellar Blade is an upcoming, AAA action RPG (ARPG) with Soulslike elements from Korean studio Shift Up, which is set for full release on April 26. The game is a PlayStation 5 exclusive – as was recent release, and fellow ARPG, Final Fantasy VII (FFVII) Rebirth – and it has attracted considerable interest for not just its character design (which has proven divisive) but also its polished gameplay and performance.
The console and PC games markets are currently awash with ARPGs, with a number of these emerging from Asian studios. Dragon’s Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin were just two new additions to the genre in March, garnering upwards of 2m monthly active users (MAUs) and just shy of 1m MAUs respectively according to Ampere’s Games Analytics data; plus the hotly-anticipated new Elden Ring DLC is set for release in June. Clearly there is increasing competition in this space, but at the moment, the consumer appetite for APRGs seems to continue to match, or even outpace, relevant content releases.

Daily active user numbers for the Stellar Blade demo, which launched at the end of March, have more than doubled those seen for the FFVII Rebirth demo. The chart demonstrates a launch performance which would match that of FFVII Rebirth; but this is perhaps a best-case scenario. The hype surrounding Stellar Blade – largely focused on its character models - may have resulted in inflated interest in the demo, and the rate of conversion to paying, launch users could fall short of what we have seen for its competitors.
Despite some similarities in genre, style, and therefore potential audience, Stellar Blade and FFVII Rebirth represent quite different commercial cases. FFVII Rebirth is based on an established classic with a deep-rooted fandom – plus, it is a sequel, rather than a standalone game. It is therefore unlikely that quite as many demo players were drawn simply by curiosity or hype, and conversion in that case is likely to be more predictable, and hearty. Stellar Blade, on the other hand, is a brand-new IP with no pre-existing fandom, making its performance a great deal more difficult to project.
Well, if you take Square on their word, Rebirth is great for new players to jump in.

Square is fucking weird then lol.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
PC release will save this. Sony must have gave them a massive bag for the timed exclusivity because they knew the numbers would be dire locking it to a single console.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Did you really try and claim FF15 quality is better because it sold more when that game was multiplatform with a much larger userbase?

That’s just flat out delusional nonsense and it’s comical you even made the argument. The metacritic and user scores objectively are rated higher and are higher than any final fantasy entry since the PS2 era which was my point.

Yeah, “we eating good” is accurate, sorry that triggers you when FF15 took seemingly over a decade to come out to fairly poor reception. I will take better games made more quickly any day of the week over some non applicable sales comparisons.

I just don't get the argument.

In the last ten years we had 2 major releases in XV and XVI, we had XIV becoming one of, if not the single best MMO on the market, pixel perfect remasters of 1-6, high quality remasters of 7-9 and Crisis Core, the first official port in the west of Zodiac Age FFXII, and some of the most well liked spin off games in the franchise and the best versions of said spinoffs in Strangers of Paradise, Theatrythm Final Bar Line, and probably the only *good* Mobile Game with Opera Omnia. Also two of the largest remake projects with FF7 Remake and Rebirth.

Prior we were getting things like the much maligned XIII Trilogy, Versus was in Dev Hell, XIV 1.0 was one of the single *worst* MMORPGs in existence, The most despised mobile game and one of the most hated in general with All The Bravest, and more besides.

Square today is also returning to and making higher quality reboots/returns to classic franchises like SaGa and Mana while releasing some pretty damn amazing lower budget RPGs with Valkyrie Elysium, Harvestella, Voice of Cards, Triangle Strategy, and more.

I swear the people must be trolling at this point. I get if these games aren't your taste, but to say that people are delusional or that these games are objectively shit is baffling.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just don't get the argument.

In the last ten years we had 2 major releases in XV and XVI, we had XIV becoming one of, if not the single best MMO on the market, pixel perfect remasters of 1-6, high quality remasters of 7-9 and Crisis Core, the first official port in the west of Zodiac Age FFXII, and some of the most well liked spin off games in the franchise and the best versions of said spinoffs in Strangers of Paradise, Theatrythm Final Bar Line, and probably the only *good* Mobile Game with Opera Omnia. Also two of the largest remake projects with FF7 Remake and Rebirth.

Prior we were getting things like the much maligned XIII Trilogy, Versus was in Dev Hell, XIV 1.0 was one of the single *worst* MMORPGs in existence, The most despised mobile game and one of the most hated in general with All The Bravest, and more besides.

Square today is also returning to and making higher quality reboots/returns to classic franchises like SaGa and Mana while releasing some pretty damn amazing lower budget RPGs with Valkyrie Elysium, Harvestella, Voice of Cards, Triangle Strategy, and more.

I swear the people must be trolling at this point. I get if these games aren't your taste, but to say that people are delusional or that these games are objectively shit is baffling.
I think everyone here is mostly just talking about the mainline FF series. SQEX has lots of great AA games. Apparently they plan to move away from that though.

Magusx

Fuck man hope this isn't true:messenger_anxious:
This is one of the best FF games ever. Wish had just the money to buy more copies.
I will be being this on pc atleast.

Last edited:
I will not buy Rebirth because I played Remake.

Remake was, in my opinion, terrible. The dialogue, cinematic and character designs are, for lack of a better word, cringe. The story changes were not for the better, and dragging it out over 10x the time as the original was meandering and tedious.

Then the battle system… hated it. Stagger systems are trash. I didn’t find it implemented block and dodge mechanics very well or gave good player feedback. To be honest I played Remake after 16 and in retrospect 16’s battle system is probably a lot better than Remakes’s.

So yeah, no interest in Rebirth because modern SE is not appealing to me. I play 14 still but if Dawntrail is still more of the same then I think I can finally come drop anything SE from my gaming lineup.

Which is a shame because up until 12, they would have been my number 1 developer.

Top Bottom