• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania patch adds Super Sonic button, fixes Switch home button issues

Not sure if it's live yet, but Whitehead and his crew confirmed they were working on this last month, and Sega have just announced that it'll be going out soon.

http://sonicthehedgehog.tumblr.com/...w-sonic-mania-patch-is-rolling-out-adding-the

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/912367473944489984

A new Sonic Mania patch is rolling out, adding the Super Sonic button, and fixes the Switch home button and other bugs.

The Switch version had issues with the home menu and snapshot features having a few seconds' delay. The player now has the choice to activate Super Sonic or not when they collect 50 rings, instead of transforming automatically with a double jump-tap. That way you can keep using the drop dash and other mid-air skills.

So happy to hear about this. It's gotten to the point where when I open the game on the Switch I have to hard reset the Switch to get out of it.

Lingitiz

Nice, the home button bug was so bad that I just tried to finish the game in as few sittings as possible. Happy to return to it.

Neoxon

Awesome, I can finally fly around as Tails without accidentally triggering Super Tails (same for Knuckles & his gliding).....plus I can now trigger the Home Button without a massive delay.

Anyone else experience a glitch where the walls disappear during the Press Garden boss battle and the boss won't jump until you let him freeze you? He also didn't throw any of those stars.

DMiz

The Super Sonic button sounds awesome, if I was ever able to actually to get all of the Chase emeralds to enter into Super Sonic mode... Regardless, I'm sure for the people who have achieved that feat, it's a welcome change!

Really loved this game from start to finish. Going through it as Knuckles now before I am ready to pack it up and call it a day, but kudos to the development team for the massive success, both critically and (hopefully) financially.

How did this bug make it into the Switch version, anyway? I would figure that the OS buttons working properly would be one of the most basic things Nintendo would mandate as part of technical certification.

Murrah

Banned
Super sonic button is a really smart addition. I genuinely would get pretty annoyed accidentally triggered it. That and the switch fix means I'm def giving this a few more replays before the year is out

Neiteio

Adding a dedicated Super Sonic button is huge. I was so annoyed by the previous approach that I started a second playthrough where I avoided the chaos emeralds just so I could replay any stage without accidentally triggering Super Sonic.

G0523

Yesss! This is great news! Hopefully they fixed that one bug that played in Press Garden Zone where the music would completely stop.

How did this bug make it into the Switch version, anyway? I would figure that the OS buttons working properly would be one of the most basic things Nintendo would mandate as part of technical certification.

My theory is that the bug was caught easily by Nintendo, but allowed it to slip past, so the game wouldn't be delayed on Switch.

Can they add the second player to Bonus/Ring stages? I think that is the biggest travesty in this game. I don't even play bonus stages anymore since Player 2 has nothing to do during that time. I mean the ability to jump around is far better prospect than doing nothing at all.

Very pleased with the separate button for Super Sonic! Hopefully they fix a lot of the bugs that can occur. I recently stumbled across a bug in Stardust Speedway Act 1 where I entered the miniboss rolling and I wasn't able to get out of the roll for some reason. The miniboss had no way of attacking me in the corner so I had to actually wait for the timer to run out (I actually just quit and restarted the zone. Got back to the boss faster than it would've taken to wait lol).

Mark1

These changes greatly improve the game experience more than some may initially believe

More freedom to explore the stages at my own pace and listen to the godly Tee Lopes soundtrack whenever I so desire 😂 the Super Sonic Tesco is decent - but there are other songs we want to enjoy 😉

Dinjoralo

The super sonic button isn't there by default? Huh.
My theory is that the bug was caught easily by Nintendo, but allowed it to slip past, so the game wouldn't be delayed on Switch.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that were true. I mean, the trailers that get reuploaded to Nintendo's Youtube channel have double the amount of views compared to the ones on Sega's official channel. Delaying this version specifically would have set off a shitstorm of massive proportions, lots of eyes were on it.

AColdDay

How was it not easily caught by Sega is my question? It is one of the most basic functions of the game, exiting it to go to the home menu. You would think that it would get ironed out a little bit sooner.

Yukinari

The home menu bug and super sonic button are fixes that should have been fixed before the game was shipped.

Other main series games have a super button so its just odd.

jholmes

Now just patch in that blue spheres gives you lives, at the very least after you've unlocked all the medals. This is such a design oversight, to have these bonus levels that do nothing.

How was it not easily caught by Sega is my question? It is one of the most basic functions of the game, exiting it to go to the home menu. You would think that it would get ironed out a little bit sooner.

I have to believe they caught it, but for whatever reason couldn't fix it in time for launch.

It's definitely odd that it's taken this long to patch though.

Now just patch in that blue spheres gives you lives, at the very least after you've unlocked all the medals. This is such a design oversight, to have these bonus levels that do nothing.

I totally agree with this. Blue Spheres becomes completely worthless in the main game once you've unlocked everything.

Nanashrew

Banned
The only thing I still wish for now, is a No Timer Mode.

9.59 is too short for those who wants to explore.

Yeah it really is. Previous installments that was fine because the levels were relatively short. In Mania, the levels are often too long and I timed out on multiple occasions in my first and second playthroughs playing casually and learning the levels.

Top Bottom