• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Metal Gear Solid series rankings (Voting ends Feb. 20)

Einbroch

Banned
I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game outside of MGS4, but it's really interesting to see how many people are voting so differently than one another.

ScOULaris

I've never played a Metal Gear Solid game outside of MGS4, but it's really interesting to see how many people are voting so differently than one another.

◉_◉ You've only played MGS4? Wow. You must have had literally no idea what was going on, plot-wise, the entire game. I can't think of a worse series when it comes to only playing the last entry in the canon.

ScOULaris

Just to be clear, voting will be open through February 20th. Any votes posted after midnight tomorrow (eastern time) won't be counted. The results thread will go up on Tuesday.

Einbroch

Banned
◉_◉ You've only played MGS4? Wow. You must have had literally no idea what was going on, plot-wise, the entire game. I can't think of a worse series when it comes to only playing the last entry in the canon.

Probably why I only played it for three hours then sold it. :p

IzzyF3

1. MGS 3, best game all around, story, and characters and setting.
2. MGS 1, great all around, just not as good as MGS 3.
3. MGS PO, clunky but rewarding game. Great story.

Everything has its beginning. But doesn't start at "one." It starts long before that, in chaos. The world is born... from zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes 100.

ScOULaris

Last day for voting. If you've been putting it off or haven't seen this thread, you have until midnight tonight (EST) to submit your votes.

The results thread will go up tomorrow.

Diamond

I love that people are voting so differently. It speaks to the quality of the entire series.

Still, I think we'll see pretty big gaps between some entries. After reading through the thread, it seems
MGS3
and
MGS1
will be clear winners
(with 3 ahead of 1 by some margin, but i could be wrong)
, big gap, then
MGS2
will be in the middle,
still brilliant for some and a letdown for others
, big gap again, then
MGS4
fourth,
arguably most polarizing entry in the series so it's not really that surprising. As I said in the 2008 Retro-GOTY thread, it's funny to see this game clearly being considered the "worse" big episode of the series and still the best game of the year it was released in.

Pachimari

1. Metal Gear Solid (MGS1)
2. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty/Substance (MGS2)
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence (MGS3)
4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (MGS4)

Everything has its beginning. But doesn't start at "one." It starts long before that, in chaos. The world is born... from zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes 100.

see that was the moment that you knew they couldn't restore Big Boss's brain

1. MGS1
2. MGS2
3. MGS3

MGS1/2 are basically interchangeable depending on the day

*nods sagely*

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
1. MGS - Still the best to me. It isn't perfect mechanically, but it still has the best balance of gameplay and story in the series. The opening sequence in this game is still one of my favorites in all of gaming.

2. MGS3 - Loved the setting in this game and I even liked the survival aspects, which many hated. Eating snakes and switching camo as you slink through the jungle was so cool.

3. MGS2 - The opening sequence with Snake is just ridiculously fucking awesome. I'm even one of the few people that didn't hate having to play as Raiden. The mechanics here are probably the best they have ever been in the series, and only the drab setting and shitty ending drag this one down for me.

And because I never pass up a chance to bash MGS4, let me just say fuck that game. The gameplay that was there was fine, but the nonstop avalanche of shitty cutscenes where characters talk about nanomachines and PMCs over powerpoint slides made me want to shove sharp objects in my eyes. And then of course there is the final act of the game, where Kojima does his best to completely destroy the series' canon. One of the biggest disappointments of my gaming career.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
1. MGS3
2. MGS4
3. MGS1

I love them all though.

I would like to consider a public flogging for the poop who showed Kojima the theme plagiarism.

On MGS4 graphics (I saw someone post before about it): the biggest problem for me when I replay it is the framerate. It's really very uneven. It's unlocked, and it is very rarely stable in the outdoor environments. But there are parts that are so incredibly beautiful. And the art style is nice. I love the glow in Eastern Europe.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
If this was open a few more days it could possibly swing my vote as I am currently playing through MGS2 for the first time (the FIRST time!) and am actually enjoying it. Just about defused the last bomb, am up to the Warehouse.

But, I'm happy with where my voting stands atm for the other games I've played. If I had to play them all again tomorrow from the first one then MGS1 wouldn't even get a shoe in, but my votes are based on my first play through during each games original launch.

1. MGS2; for story (I include lore with that, so all those hours of codec details etc.)
2. MGS1; great "flow" if that makes any sense
3. MGS4; for gameplay (before, #3 would have had this)

This feels wrong, I need to list 4 titles.

Top Bottom