• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Votes: Metal Gear Solid series rankings (Voting ends Feb. 20)

thechemist

My mind literally boggles as to how anyone can put anything other than MGS1 first, and I'm a man who loves his MGS3. The first game has a darkness to it, an urgency and sense of escalating danger that's unmatched even today, perfectly represented by listening to any excerpt from it's soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZPyhK0XlsU

I agree with what you are saying and I flip flop between the two, but its the entire end segment of MGS3 which puts it above MGS1 for me personally.

I love the 'Encounter' theme, may I add when I was little I used to purposely go into alert mode to hear it!

Talking about epic themes,

Debriefing

It would be nice to know everyones favourite theme/track from the MGS series as well, for me personally its the MGS3 main theme.

ScOULaris

Update: I processed the votes from posts 500-600 last night. Without giving anything away, I will just say that it's going to be hard for the #1 and #2 spots to switch at this point. The game occupying the top spot is doing so by a considerable margin. ;)

creid

1. MGS1; The story will never be matched later in the series because this one was the first to blow my mind.
2. MGS:pW; Story didn't do so much for me but the gameplay was good enough to keep me going for 70 hours.
3. MGS2; After 1 the gameplay got a little better and the story got a little worse. Looking forward to a replay.

Update: I processed the votes from posts 500-600 last night. Without giving anything away, I will just say that it's going to be hard for the #1 and #2 spots to switch at this point. The game occupying the top spot is doing so by a considerable margin. ;)

Pretty sure it's MGS3. I don't mind it that much tbh. MGS1 still rules for me. Leagues better than MGS2 and 4 though.

ScOULaris

Pretty sure it's MGS3. I don't mind it that much tbh. MGS1 still rules for me. Leagues better than MGS2 and 4 though.

I won't reveal anything yet, but I will say that it's hard to just eyeball the votes to determine the winner. The point system (5 for first, 3 for second, 1 for third) makes things interesting.

gurasa

As long as it isn't 4 in the top spot, then GAF is sane.

1. MGS2
2. MGS3
3. MGS1

Peace Walker was rad but felt too much like a spin off. MGS4 was fine but I didn't have any emotional attachment to it like I did the others. Portable Ops more like Portable Dicks.

I also omitted some other games under the Solid moniker for not being considered canon (e.g. Metal Gear Ac!d and Ghost Babel).

Canon or not, Ghost Babel is the best game in the series. Stealth gameplay, interesting story, lots of action, no hour-long cutscenes.

250px-RK202u1.jpg

Metalgeargander.JPG

Metal_Gear_Ghost_Babel_Art_01_3575.jpg

ScOULaris

Update: Voting has slowed down enough that I think I'll shorten the voting period. I've updated the OP and thread title to reflect the new last day for voting: February 20th.

Two weeks was needlessly long for something like this.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Am I in time?

1. MGS3 - This game will always live on as one of the greatest gaming experiences I've had the joy to play. From a well told story to working out that Snake was Big Boss from MGS1 as soon he got shot in the face. Some memorable boss battles, different ways to kill The End, the fantastic showdown between Snake and his Mentor then the final scene in the plane with Ocelot. I don't think another game can come as close as this to gaming heaven on the Action front.

2. MGS4 - It had its problems, the installation prevents me from playing through it again but the game really pushed the boundaries. It still looks fantastic 4 years later and I never really did get the hate with it.

3. MGS1 - Aged badly, I definitely wouldn't play this again but for its time and Kojimas mind dabbling with new toys (Psycho Mantis telling me I liked to play International Track and Field and International Superstar Soccer!) then tricking him by changing controller ports. Shame the second disc was relatively short and there was a fair bit of back tracking but it was still a great game.

Reason why I didn't vote MGS2 or PW, I stopped playing PW when I heard the HD collection was coming out, MGS2 I am playing through for the first time as we speak. I have played the Tanker mission about 3-4 times since 2002, I've never played the Big Shell incident with Raiden.

1. MGS 2
2. MGS (Though, I'm really voting for Twin Snakes, which is as much cannon as MGS is since the voice bits from this game are used in MGS 4)
3. MGS 3
4. MGS 4
5. MGS PW
6. MGS PO (Which is the only game in the series that wasn't good enough for me to finish)

IrishNinja

1) MGS3 - best bosses since 1, best story of them all. hands down the series' pinnacle.
2) MGS1 - the innovator that started it all, still has some of the best bosses in gaming.
3) MGS2 - weaker bosses, but i dug what kojima was going for here - great level layout at parts, and the crazy existential plot was fun for me too.
4) MGS5/PW - this was great for a PSP game (still havnet touched the HD one yet, but i will!), my only real gripe is that much of the plot lies in the shadow of 3's greatness.
5) MGS4 - Had some moments, but weighed itself down with poor editing/bad fanfic story and convolution.
6) MGSPO - Fun for what it was (and i really dug ashley wood's art once it was animated), but EmCee here @ GAF pointed out the revisionist story with zero and that kinda messed me up.

glad i didn't have to rate Ghost Babel (never played it) or the MSX classics, that'dve been tougher!

Mr. Fix

MGS4
MGS2
MGS3

Get at me GAF. I'd feel like a sheep for talking smack about 4. Compared to some of the other titles this gen, it was a great game.

d0g_bear

1. MGS4
2. MGS3
3. MGS1

-The character designs (crying wolf especially),
-The whole tracking mechanic in Act 2 and 3
-The extended metaphor with Eva, Snake and the Apple
-Pooping under a barrel
-"behold - guns of the patriots! bang! bang!"
-The hilarious gay fantasy life of Otacon, Snake and Sunny (just like full house!)
-Putting on the girl's face camo - complete with long asian hair

THESE are the reasons MGS4 is number one!

Top Bottom