• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is 64-bit only - 32-bit apps no longer work (i.e. some games)

StereoVsn

Nearly all SNK games, Capcom, most first person shooters, etc. People acting like it’s not a big deal... I lost maybe 80% of my games library.
Yeap, plus some of the older Sega games (like Shining Force mentioned above), SMT (this one hurts), bunch of Adventure games like Nick Chase, Monkey Island SE, The Longest Journey and others.

These are actually all legit good games and I would like to keep them. Going to buy and older mini most likely to keep around. Although what sucks is some games you can't even redownload.

On the plus side Final Fantasy Tactics and Lunar Silver Star got both updated.

tsundoku

In those four/five years though updating your phone OS has gone from optional incentivized offering: With new features and 4x slower entire OS speed. To being completely mandatory and them stealth downloading the new OS taking up a massive chunk of your free space and sneakily updating and turning off all of your fucking alarms overnight on you

dallow_bg

nods at old men
In those four/five years though updating your phone OS has gone from optional incentivized offering: With new features and 4x slower entire OS speed. To being completely mandatory and them stealth downloading the new OS taking up a massive chunk of your free space and sneakily updating and turning off all of your fucking alarms overnight on you

I know it's a mostly troll post, but iOS 10 massively increased your free space as the phone converted to a new file system.

I got several gigabytes back on my phone and iPad.

Fhtagn

All my collection of Cave bullet hell shooters!!!

Why the fuck haven’t they updated their games??

😡

Cuz they didn't make enough money on them to keep updating or even releasing new ones ever in the last 3+ years.

Sucks. Absolutely the biggest loss in this change over.

Just like the last time we had this thread, developers knew this has been coming since 2013.

That's four years warning. It's on the developer to update, that's been supported more than long enough.

Apple has had documentation on how to update apps for 64 bit, for again, nearly four years.

Edit: (Tunesmith) Could also add that 64-bit app updates have been mandatory since February 1st, 2015. Any 32-bit app still on the store has not been updated since at least that time.

It's the right call by Apple.
It's not. The right call would be create a compatibility layer for those apps. It can be done without a sizeable performance hit, just look at windows.

And some apps just don't need to be updated, or generate revenue to justify it.

Imagine how it would be if me dropped 32bit support on windows. Even with a 4 year warning it wouldn't be enough for all the steam games to be updated let alone all the immense ecosystem that is available on windows.

2SeeKU

It's not. The right call would be create a compatibility layer for those apps. It can be done without a sizeable performance hit, just look at windows.

And some apps just don't need to be updated, or generate revenue to justify it.

Imagine how it would be if me dropped 32bit support on windows. Even with a 4 year warning it wouldn't be enough for all the steam games to be updated let alone all the immense ecosystem that is available on windows.

I see where you're coming from, but the added benefit l see is it drops Apps that have essentially been abandoned by their developers.

Honestly, l'm a .Net and Objective C dev and it's as simple as changing a few settings to support 64bit only. If a developer can't do that, then they shouldn't be on the app store.

tsundoku

I know it's a mostly troll post, but iOS 10 massively increased your free space as the phone converted to a new file system.

I got several gigabytes back on my phone and iPad.

a filesystem doesn't do shit the update cleared your unclearable cache data bro

Just deleted a lot of good apps I've been using for the past couple years. Not gonna lie, that hurt me.

Would've stayed on 10.3 but the features of 11 sound nice. Part of me still hopes my favorite apps will get updated but if they haven't done it by now then...

I see where you're coming from, but the added benefit l see is it drops Apps that have essentially been abandoned by their developers.

Honestly, l'm a .Net and Objective C dev and it's as simple as changing a few settings to support 64bit only. If a developer can't do that, then they shouldn't be on the app store.
Being dead simple to support 64bit is a good counter point, but I don't like the idea of the app not deserving to be on the store, or saying that the app is abandoned because it doesn't receive any updates anymore.

Not every app/game needs to be constantly updated, and often they are just perfectly functional and just doesn't generate enough revenue to justify it.

Also keep in mind that for some cases it's not just turning 64bit on, what if they need to update the SDK because the old one is no longer acceptable for submission? That's one extra cost. Especially if it breaks something, but even if it doesn't because the app/game will need to be retested to make sure it didn't break anything.

That might be something that doesn't impact single devs or small teams, but I can see it being more trouble than it's worth the bigger the company gets, because it would have to involve a lot more people to make the decision and actually update.

Pokemaniac

With lower level languages like C++ stuff can potentially break when moved to 64-bit. Mostly related to changing sizes of data types.

lucius

The Dark Knight Rises
Infinity Gene
Spider-Man
Captain America:TWS
Alpha Wave
Q Legacy HD

Still with no updates, I guess hoping for a update now is useless and I should jus delete them soon, all these games are good games that I would have liked to hold onto.

ShowDog

I haven’t played any of my old iOS games in ages but I have a ton on my account and an old retired 5S I won’t be updating to 11 so I can still play them if I want. Not an ideal solution but I doubt I’ll ever want to play them anyways. iPad 2 is also waiting in the wings for the same usage.

OK, so I have an old phone I'm not updating, but it didn't have all my games on it. I do have the iTunes backups of them, but iTunes doesn't handle phone apps anymore.

AAAAAAAARGGGHHHH!

I wonder if I can drop them on the phone in iTunes regardless, just like the ringtones?

Top Bottom